PDA

View Full Version : Are the Tigers the 2006 White Sox?

Fenway
09-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Everybody thought the Tigers were the best team in baseball at the All-Star break.

Since then however they have been in a total free fall.

Injuries hurt but still nobody expected this.

spawn
09-05-2007, 11:03 AM
They couldn't be the 2006 White Sox...the 2006 White Sox had a World Series Championship to defend. :wink:

salty99
09-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Everybody thought the Tigers were the best team in baseball at the All-Star break.

They did? I certainly didn't think the Tigers were ever better than Boston.

The Immigrant
09-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Well, there's no way the Tigers will finish with 90 wins :D:. Otherwise there are some similarities between the two teams, starting with a dropoff in starting and relief pitching compared to the prior year and the prolonged team-wide offensive slump after a torrid start, despite career years from their respective RFs.

There's also the matter of highly touted rookies not producing as expected (McCarthy and Anderson in 2006 for the Sox; long list of names for the Tigers in 2007).

Fenway
09-05-2007, 11:10 AM
They did? I certainly didn't think the Tigers were ever better than Boston.

Right before the break Boston was swept by the Tigers in Detroit.

chaerulez
09-05-2007, 11:18 AM
There are a lot of simliar things between the two teams, except at least we got a world series title before our decline.

soxinem1
09-05-2007, 11:31 AM
The Tigers were in a free fall the second half of 2006 too, they lost the division on the last day, remember?

They have been just as banged up as the 2007 White Sox, but managed to hang in there and make a showing.

Plus, they are not out of the playoff picture at all, they are only a few games out of the Wild Card.

Should be an interesting month.

kitekrazy
09-05-2007, 11:41 AM
I think of the Tigers as an NFC Super Bowl team. They don't make it to the post season the following year.

TDog
09-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Everybody thought the Tigers were the best team in baseball at the All-Star break. ...

I never thought the Tigers were very good. I didn't think they were very good last year. They didn't win their division after building a big lead. They did go to the World Series, but even the Cardinals went to the World Series. And the Cardinals won.

But I wonder if the Tigers fans, who think their team is elite, whine about their team not being able to beat the last-place White Sox the way White Sox fans used to whine about the Sox not being able to beat the last-place Tigers.

oeo
09-05-2007, 11:57 AM
But I wonder if the Tigers fans, who think their team is elite, whine about their team not being able to beat the last-place White Sox the way White Sox fans used to whine about the Sox not being able to beat the last-place Tigers.

Yes they do, and as a matter of fact, they've already started to play the 'blame game' on Leyland and Dombrowski. Sounds kind of familiar, doesn't it?

Fenway
09-05-2007, 12:00 PM
I never thought the Tigers were very good. I didn't think they were very good last year. They didn't win their division after building a big lead. They did go to the World Series, but even the Cardinals went to the World Series. And the Cardinals won.

Oh they are complaining

I'm Done (http://motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52646)
For all of you true believers, kudos to you.

But for me, the writing has been on the wall and it just isn't going to happen.

We truly are the 2006 Chicago White Sox.

Hopefully, will improve and won't turn out like the 2007 White Sox. A team which '05 Championship looks like even a bigger fluke than the Cardinals 2006 postseason or the 2006 Tigers.

The only good point is that I don't have to suffer though this garbage in person after moving out of Michigan.

Leyland and Dombrowski are at least 50% to blame for this debacle (http://motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52522)

Let's carp and complain creatively -- do it in a haiku! (http://motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52716)

semd love mail to http://motownsports.com

oeo
09-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Oh they are complaining

I'm Done (http://motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52646)

Is this guy kidding? The '05 Sox were a bigger fluke than the '06 Tigers?

Let's see...
a) The '05 Sox won 4 more games than the '06 Tigers.
b) The '06 Tigers completely collapsed in the second half...even more so than the '05 Sox. Had the Sox not ****ed up, the Tigers would have been sitting at home.
c) The Sox were mediocre for years; reached the postseason 5 years before their 2005 team did. The Tigers, OTOH, were awfully ****ty for about two decades, came from nowhere, had what looks to be only one good season, and are now headed back to regularly scheduled programming.
d) The '07 Tigers likely won't even hit that 90-win mark the '06 Sox did.

So the Tigers' one good season in about 20, is a bigger 'fluke' than the 2005 White Sox, who have not had a losing record in nearly 20 years? Ha! If anything, the 2007 White Sox are the fluke.

jabrch
09-05-2007, 12:12 PM
How much Jerry Curl does it take to keep Greedy-O on the field?

How many Flintstones Vitamins does it take to keep Pudge out there?

Are there enough Greenies to keep Neifi happy?

Is there a camera man for Kenny Rogers to beat?

And then there is Timo...

The best part of the Tigers though is their pitching staff. Anchored by Rick Porcello...oh - wait a second... There is not a single one of them that I'd take over the guy in their rotation spot on the Sox.

Buehrle vs Verlander - probably a wash at this point. I'd rather have Mark. Who knows in a few years.

Vazquez vs Bonderman - all Bonderman has is a name and hype. He's not nearly as effective a pitcher as Javy.

Garland vs Robertson - surely you jest - No doubt I go with JG.

Danks and Contreras/Floyd vs Maroth/Durbin/Miller - nobody there is good. I'm shocked because I was told that Andrew Miller will be the first coming of Rick Porcello, so I was shocked to see that Miller looks like he throws batting practice out there.

The future is bright in Detroit - so long as the HGH flows for Pudge, Magglio's knee and hair holds up, and Sheffield doesn't have to testify in court. Cuz if their pitching is any indicator, this team is going to suck again very soon. It is Verlander and a bunch of question marks. Ah - who knows - maybe moneybags will go out and spend the money to get the top FA SP out there. How'd that work for the Giants (Zito) or the Dodgers (Schmidt) this offseason?

TDog
09-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Hopefully, will improve and won't turn out like the 2007 White Sox. A team which '05 Championship looks like even a bigger fluke than the Cardinals 2006 postseason or the 2006 Tigers.

A fluke team doesn't lead the league with 99 wins (four better than any other team in the league) and go 11-1 in the postseason. A fluke team makes the postseason after blowing a big lead in its division and probably fails to win the World Series.

The performance of the 2006-and-later White Sox says nothing about the quality of the 2005 White Sox.

jabrch
09-05-2007, 12:41 PM
A fluke team doesn't lead the league with 99 wins (four better than any other team in the league) and go 11-1 in the postseason. A fluke team makes the postseason after blowing a big lead in its division and probably fails to win the World Series.

The performance of the 2006-and-later White Sox says nothing about the quality of the 2005 White Sox.

Who gives a rats **** if we were a fluke or not. We won the World Series 2 years ago. Detroit has made the post season ONCE since 1987 and has only finished 2nd or better ONCE since 1991. Since 1994, they haven't had a single .500+ season until last year and they finished 4th or worse 11 of the past 18 seasons.

This is the Detroit Tigers you guys are talking about - for crying out loud this is the LA Clippers cousin. It is extremely shortsighted to think they are anything other than a crappy team in a really crappy city - and I refuse to play that game. Detroit may have turned the corner. Soon they may become the vacation capital of the midwest, and the baseball team may be good. The Lions might make the playoffs some day. In the meantime, it's a third rate city who's best claim to fame is that it is "Hockeytown" - a sport that has been relegated to dead freaking last of the big 4, and has been eclipsed in fan attention by Golf and even womens basketball in many markets. Detroit... YUCK

Oblong
09-05-2007, 12:49 PM
That link from MotownSports is hardly representative of Tiger fans. If you go there you will find that the posters who said that were thrashed pretty good. Read the entire thread if you like. The worst part about contending is the riff raff that finds it's way to sports message boards. I'm sure you had to deal with it here.

I've never banned someone for having a "wrong" opinion but I've come close several times because of that kind of thread.

TDog
09-05-2007, 01:08 PM
... Detroit has made the post season ONCE since 1987 and has only finished 2nd or better ONCE since 1991. Since 1994, they haven't had a single .500+ season until last year and they finished 4th or worse 11 of the past 18 seasons. ...

Not to mention that the Tigers' failure to repeat in 1985 apparently makes 1984 a fluke.

voodoochile
09-05-2007, 01:09 PM
That link from MotownSports is hardly representative of Tiger fans. If you go there you will find that the posters who said that were thrashed pretty good. Read the entire thread if you like. The worst part about contending is the riff raff that finds it's way to sports message boards. I'm sure you had to deal with it here.

I've never banned someone for having a "wrong" opinion but I've come close several times because of that kind of thread.

And just a simple reminder, folks. If you follow the link listed above, don't troll. Please be as courteous to them as Oblong and other fans of other teams are here. If you troll and it follows you here, it won't be a good thing for your posting privileges at WSI.

The Immigrant
09-05-2007, 01:19 PM
That link from MotownSports is hardly representative of Tiger fans.

The thread is hilarious and some of the responses from moderators are gold.

Mickster
09-05-2007, 02:42 PM
I think it's funny that Timberwolf posts there! :D:

spawn
09-05-2007, 03:15 PM
I think it's funny that Timberwolf posts there! :D:
No kidding...I was there quite a bit last year, and he was constantly railing on everything having to do with Chicago (White Sox, Cubs, Bulls, Blackhawks). It seemed to me the Tiger fans were loving it, although a couple of them blasted him when he talked trash about the city of Chicago itself. He's definitely a piece of work.

comet2k
09-05-2007, 05:17 PM
How bad have the Tigers been in the second half?

They're 21-31 since the All Star Break. The White Sox are 20-32. :o:

santo=dorf
09-05-2007, 05:34 PM
How is it a sucky team that doesn't resemble a winning team two years ago must mean that team 2 years ago was a fluke? That's insane logic.

Here are the current Sox players who were on the 2005 team: Buehrle, Garland, Contreras, Jenks (1/2 a year,) Konerko, Crede (not contributing this season,) AJ, Uribe, Dye, Podsednik, Pablo (hurt most of the year,) and we had Iguchi for half a season.

Almost the entire bullpen and bench is different, and we only have 3/5 of the original rotation.

FloridaTigers
09-05-2007, 11:41 PM
This is the Detroit Tigers you guys are talking about - for crying out loud this is the LA Clippers cousin

Huh? That comparison doesn't even make any sense. I have no idea at what you're getting at here.

This team in the next season or two might not make it to the World Series, but it is building itself for 2009 and beyond. This team will not go away, they will not finish in last next year either.

champagne030
09-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Huh? That comparison doesn't even make any sense. I have no idea at what you're getting at here.

This team in the next season or two might not make it to the World Series, but it is building itself for 2009 and beyond. This team will not go away, they will not finish in last next year either.

Kenny's Administrative Assistant had a visit from Aunt Flow today. Pardon the rant...........:cool:

Mod edit: This makes even less sense, but is clearly demeaning to women. See ya.

FloridaTigers
09-05-2007, 11:52 PM
And that thread is a representation of one Tigers fan, who joined the board JUST TO MAKE THAT TOPIC. It isn't like there were any other fans agreeing with him. I didn't see anyone go "Yeah, that new guy...he's right".

cws05champ
09-06-2007, 12:08 AM

I feel like a profit....

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1629258&highlight=tigers#post1629258

TDog
09-06-2007, 12:11 AM
I feel like a profit....

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1629258&highlight=tigers#post1629258

Which leaves me at a loss.

oeo
09-06-2007, 01:45 AM

I don't know much about the Tigers' farm system, but nothing is guaranteed from the minor leagues. I do know that Dombrowski likes to take big risks on young pitchers, though, and we'll see if that backfires on him. For instance, Andrew Miller looks like he could be a stud, but he also does not look very durable (and is already having injury problems).

Grzegorz
09-06-2007, 05:50 AM

I believe that the Tigers are building for the future. Dave Dombrowski is an excellent GM and Leyland is a very good field manager. Just because the Tigers have lost in the past does not in any way mean that they're the LA Clippers.

Andrew Miller will be an above average pitcher. He just need to build endurance and possibly (I do not know how hard he currently works on conditioning) condition himself better for 2008.

I'd love to have Andrew Miller here on the south side.

Only time will tell but all signs point to the Detroit Tigers being on the rise and not the decline.

jabrch
09-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Only time will tell but all signs point to the Detroit Tigers being on the rise and not the decline.

The same was said about the Clippers in 2001-2002 when they had Brand, Maggette, Richardson, Miles, Odom and Olwokandi.

If the Tigers plans revolve around every injured player (most with a cloud of Balco around them) who they sign staying healthy, then good luck. I'll bet against it.

Really - there's no way a top tier FA with lots of options goes to DETROIT unless Detroit far outbids the market. So their gambling on injured and other undesireables will be their only hope to get really good.

Oh yeah - that and Andrew Miller - he's so good!!!! He's Rick Porcello good!

TommyJohn
09-06-2007, 11:59 AM

This team will not go away, they will not finish in last next year either.

Hell, they didn't even finish in first last year.

Whitesox029
09-06-2007, 04:03 PM

I dunno, but I sure hope the 2008 Tigers are the 2007 White Sox.

FloridaTigers
09-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Hell, they didn't even finish in first last year.

Where did I say they finished first?

FarWestChicago
09-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Kenny's Administrative Assistant had a visit from Aunt Flow today. Pardon the rant...........:cool:

Mod edit: This makes even less sense, but is clearly demeaning to women. See ya.I'm completely stunned that the over the top hater supreme, chamagne030 could get himself whacked. Now, I had nothing to do with the whacking. But, this is all I can say about the unpleasant, life hating, sweetheart getting a time out:

:moonwalk:

Foulke You
09-06-2007, 11:06 PM
I think the downfall of the Tigers was putting too much faith in an aging and injury prone Sheffield combined with key injuries to Zumaya and Rodney for long stretches. If Sheffield, Zumaya, and Rodney stayed healthy all year and productive I'm pretty sure the AL Central race would be a bit tighter right now.

jabrch
09-07-2007, 01:45 AM
I think the downfall of the Tigers was putting too much faith in an aging and injury prone Sheffield

That is the same thing that got them where they were last year - putting faith in Pudge and Magglio when they had major questions associated with them.

Fear not friends - Rick Porcello and Andrew Miller will save the day.

Grzegorz
09-07-2007, 05:56 AM
I agree; the Tigers are done and they will not be heard from for years.

I like their management and their field manager is one of the best in the game.

The Tigers have two excellent prospects: Miller & Maybin. Both help shore up some of the weaknesses this team has. Do the Tigers need to look at the middle infield? Sure, but there are some lower level prospects that look to be able to help.

Dave Dombrowski is an excellent GM; he brought this team to this point and he'll keep them on the winning track.

Even if the Tigers miss the playoffs, it is a stretch to label this the "fall of the Tigers". "Fall" implies a long term drought; and I see the Tiger's future as being on the upswing.

The future of the Chicago White Sox is much more precarious than that of the Detroit Tigers because of uncertainty of their minor league talent contributing to 2008 and their field level leadership.

TommyJohn
09-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Where did I say they finished first?

Nowhere. But your comment about "they won't finish in last next year" was
a clear shot at the White Sox of this year.

jabrch
09-07-2007, 12:39 PM

Nobody said that

The Tigers have two excellent prospects: Miller & Maybin. Both help shore up some of the weaknesses this team has. Do the Tigers need to look at the middle infield? Sure, but there are some lower level prospects that look to be able to help.

Every organization in baseball can say the same thing, including the White Sox.

Our fans are rightfully bummed out about how this season worked out. But to say Maybin and Miller are two excellent prospects may be true - but so are Fields and Gio. So are a lot of guys. So were Sweeney and BA. So was Bam Bam Muellens for that matter.

soxfan13
09-07-2007, 01:07 PM
I feel like a profit....

How exactly does one feel like a advantageous gain or return? I think you meant to type prophet.:gulp:

FarWestChicago
09-07-2007, 06:15 PM

I like their management and their field manager is one of the best in the game.

Dave Dombrowski is an excellent GM; he brought this team to this point and he'll keep them on the winning track.

Even if the Tigers miss the playoffs, it is a stretch to label this the "fall of the Tigers". "Fall" implies a long term drought; and I see the Tiger's future as being on the upswing.

The future of the Chicago White Sox is much more precarious than that of the Detroit Tigers because of uncertainty of their minor league talent contributing to 2008 and their field level leadership.

Everything you say is correct. Yet, the Sox won it all and the Kitties didn't. There is solace in that. :cool:

jabrch
09-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Everything you say is correct. Yet, the Sox won it all and the Kitties didn't. There is solace in that. :cool:

There is?

FarWestChicago
09-07-2007, 11:14 PM
There is?Yeah, it's not much, but it's all we got.

jabrch
09-08-2007, 12:14 AM
There is?

LMAO