PDA

View Full Version : Boston to get 2012 All Star Game

Fenway
09-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Lucchino was telling media members last night that Bud has signed off on Boston getting the 2012 All Star Game for the 100th Anniversary of the park.

The Red Sox were demanding this as part of the deal for them to open in Japan next season.

MLB has also found the patsy for Boston to play. Oakland will give up 2 home games but will still get 6 Boston games in Oakland which always sell out.

Boston last had the game in 1999 but that was under the Yawkey ownership.

It is best remebered for Ted Williams saying goodbye to baseball.

It is my most memorable night in the old dump on Yawkey Way
http://graphics.boston.com/images/daily/05/crowd_williams_top.jpg

MUsoxfan
09-05-2007, 10:29 AM
They're assuming alot in that building not toppling over on itself by the time 2012 comes along:cool:

Fenway
09-05-2007, 10:35 AM
They're assuming alot in that building not toppling over on itself by the time 2012 comes along:cool:

Especially since they adding 2,000 MORE seats on the roof in the next 2 years :o:

They going to extend the roof pavilion on both the left field and right field lines.

Next will be seats on the Citgo sign

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Fenway Fanatic Field Uberganza (FFF U)

You & 3 friends can have the ULTIMATE VIP experience - seats, ON THE FIELD!!! That's right, Red Sox Nation - a candlelit dinner for four, served formal butler waiter style, right behind the second base bag during batting practice. Safely encased in plexiglass, you can see all your favorite Red Sox players up close, as well as entire MLB rosters from another city - while you dine in the heart of Fenway Park. Line drive up the middle? NO worries - this glass can stop a bullet at point blank range!!! Plenty of ventilation holes so everyone can smell the Fenway experience - with its own tarp cover in the event of inclement weather. Restroom features are an additional $2000.

I am awaiting this press release.

Fenway
09-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Fenway Fanatic Field Uberganza (FFF U)

I am awaiting this press release.

Don't give them any ideas

You have no idea what they have done up on the roof.....

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ballpark/events_venues.jsp

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/fenrendering.jpg

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Don't give them any ideas

I know...but I had to....it's gonna be them or the Yanks to cross that barrier...

palehozenychicty
09-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Them adding more and more seats is insane. As someone said, the dump may just splat to the ground if they keep adding on. Just build a 75,000 seat monochromatic stadium in Chestnut Hill and be done with it. :rolleyes:

ChiSoxRowand
09-05-2007, 04:42 PM
What a joke. They get the game 13 years after they hosted in 1999.

Fenway
09-05-2007, 04:51 PM

Bud wants them in Japan to open 2008 so money talks.

PKalltheway
09-05-2007, 05:12 PM
I agree. What the **** is that ****? You don't give it to Kansas City, who hasn't hosted since 1973. You don't give it to Tampa Bay, who has NEVER hosted the event. You don't give it to the Twins (their new ballpark will be open by then btw), but they'll give it to ****ing Boston after 13 years. **** Boston, **** them!:angry::angry::angry:

Btw, I was against the Pirates getting the game after just 12 years as well, but at least they had a new ballpark.

skobabe8
09-05-2007, 05:16 PM

LOL...thats such bull****.

thedudeabides
09-05-2007, 06:46 PM
I expect ESPN to start their promos for this game some time next week.

chisoxfanatic
09-05-2007, 06:56 PM

I personally feel Boston and Oakland should EACH give up one home game in this, instead of Oakland giving up BOTH. About a decade ago, the Cubs and Mets did this, and I recall Wrigley and Shea each losing a home game to allow for it to happen. It's only fair.

Fenway
09-05-2007, 07:23 PM
I personally feel Boston and Oakland should EACH give up one home game in this, instead of Oakland giving up BOTH. About a decade ago, the Cubs and Mets did this, and I recall Wrigley and Shea each losing a home game to allow for it to happen. It's only fair.

Tampa gave up 2 home dates when they and NYY went.

chisoxfanatic
09-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Tampa gave up 2 home dates when they and NYY went.
That is ludicrous as well!

DoItForDanPasqua
09-05-2007, 09:18 PM
I remember the 1999 All-Star game being billed as the last at Fenway Park. I'm glad that likely won't be true.

Viva Medias B's
09-05-2007, 10:11 PM
How structurally sound is Fenway Park? In recent years, there have been issues with Wrigley Field (falling concrete) which is two years younger than Fenway.

itsnotrequired
09-05-2007, 10:24 PM
How structurally sound is Fenway Park? In recent years, there have been issues with Wrigley Field (falling concrete) which is two years younger than Fenway.

Unlike the Cubs, the Red Sox have spent a fortune in recent years upgrading the park.

Brian26
09-05-2007, 10:27 PM

Not quite as bad as the Pirates having it in '94 and then 2006, but the fact remains that some teams actually have declined opportunities to host the ASG (KC being one of them), so teams dont necessarily have to wait every 30 years to get another one.

Brian26
09-05-2007, 10:29 PM
I personally feel Boston and Oakland should EACH give up one home game in this, instead of Oakland giving up BOTH.

I agree completely.

Fenway
09-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Unlike the Cubs, the Red Sox have spent a fortune in recent years upgrading the park.

Plus Fenway was rebuilt in 1934 after a major fire. Boston went 38 years from 61 to 99 without the ASG so it evens out.

grv1974
09-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Hopefully, they'll get a new stadium by then. Yeah, that'll happen.

itsnotrequired
09-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Plus Fenway was rebuilt in 1934 after a major fire. Boston went 38 years from 61 to 99 without the ASG so it evens out.

I'm sure it was the 1934 rebuild which sealed the deal.:tongue:

In the last few years, Fenway has gotten a new drainage system, upgrade power cables, structural reinforcing in certain areas, additional bathrooms, widened concourses, more concessions, etc. They have spent over $100 million in the last six years fixing the place up (and of course, adding seats).

But I don't need to tell you any of this.:D:

Railsplitter
09-05-2007, 11:23 PM

Washington hosted in 1962 and 1969 in the same place. In 1962, the place was called D.C. Stadium, in 1969 it was called Robert F Kennedy Stadium.

The Polo Grounds in New York hosted 1934 and 1942

FloridaTigers
09-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Didn't Fenway host it in 1999? What the hell?

Fenway
09-06-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm sure it was the 1934 rebuild which sealed the deal.:tongue:

In the last few years, Fenway has gotten a new drainage system, upgrade power cables, structural reinforcing in certain areas, additional bathrooms, widened concourses, more concessions, etc. They have spent over $100 million in the last six years fixing the place up (and of course, adding seats).

But I don't need to tell you any of this.:D:

It is amazing what they have done to the place.

MLB won't announce it until the Japan trip is a go. Baseball operations (Theo) is against it as are the players. The Globe reported that each player will get $60,000 extra for going.

itsnotrequired
09-06-2007, 10:34 AM
It is amazing what they have done to the place.

MLB won't announce it until the Japan trip is a go. Baseball operations (Theo) is against it as are the players. The Globe reported that each player will get $60,000 extra for going.

For the young guys, that is a hell of a deal. One month's pay for one game? Not too shabby...

AZChiSoxFan
09-06-2007, 01:21 PM

Give me a break. Chase Field in Phx opened in '98 and to date, is still not on the schedule to host the game. This despite the fact that several stadiums that opened after it have either already hosted the game or at least are on the schedule to. My guess is that Fenway will have the game 2 more times before Phx does.

Fenway
09-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Give me a break. Chase Field in Phx opened in '98 and to date, is still not on the schedule to host the game. This despite the fact that several stadiums that opened after it have either already hosted the game or at least are on the schedule to. My guess is that Fenway will have the game 2 more times before Phx does.

The Red Sox had Bud over a barrel. Selig wants them in Japan badly.

Oakland gets more money than they would playing at home.

No way Boston gives up a home date as there is too much money involved.

Plus Selig knows a Fanfest in Boston will shatter any records. This is all about money.

It isn't fair to teams like Tampa and Phoenix but who ever said Selig played fair?

AZChiSoxFan
09-06-2007, 02:37 PM

Plus Selig knows a Fanfest in Boston will shatter any records. This is all about money.

It isn't fair to teams like Tampa and Phoenix but who ever said Selig played fair?

touche

skottyj242
09-06-2007, 05:02 PM

And hopefully they'll go another 85 years or whatever it was without a World Series to even that out.

Foulke You
09-06-2007, 11:00 PM
I remember the 1999 All-Star game being billed as the last at Fenway Park. I'm glad that likely won't be true.
I remembered that. Of course, at that time, Fenway Park's days were numbered as new ballparks were going up all around baseball and talk of a new stadium deal seemed imminent for the Red Sox.

I'm also glad that Fenway didn't see it's last all star game because I'm a fan of the park but I think 2012 is too soon. Who has the longest All Star Game drought right now?

Railsplitter
09-06-2007, 11:09 PM
I remembered that. Of course, at that time, Fenway Park's days were numbered as new ballparks were going up all around baseball and talk of a new stadium deal seemed imminent for the Red Sox.

I'm also glad that Fenway didn't see it's last all star game because I'm a fan of the park but I think 2012 is too soon. Who has the longest All Star Game drought right now?

The Mets haven't hosted the ASG since 1964.

Foulke You
09-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that KC has actually turned down the all star game recently. Can anyone shed light as to why they would do that? I had never heard that story. Hosting the all star game seems to be a small market non-contending team's dream come true. A way to sell season tickets without improving the team.

AZChiSoxFan
09-07-2007, 11:04 AM

Funny that we were having this discussion yesterday and then the following article appeared in today's Arizona Republic:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0906phxallstar0907.html

Fenway
09-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Funny that we were having this discussion yesterday and then the following article appeared in today's Arizona Republic:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0906phxallstar0907.html

"I don't think it's a case of anyone being passed over," said Laurel Prieb, vice president of western operations and special projects for Major League Baseball. "More than anything else, it's a case of this becoming a very popular event for ballclubs to hold. In some cases it has been put forth as an important element of getting the park constructed in the first place.

Mr Prieb is Bud's son in law. He got the job after a nationwide search :rolleyes:

Hitmen77
09-07-2007, 11:23 AM

Why did Fenway go from '61 to '99 without an All-Star game? Did the league not want to return to Boston for the ASG or was it the Red Sox who did not want the game?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that KC has actually turned down the all star game recently. Can anyone shed light as to why they would do that? I had never heard that story. Hosting the all star game seems to be a small market non-contending team's dream come true. A way to sell season tickets without improving the team.

I thought the Royals have been promised an All-Star Game in the near future (specific year not yet picked) as part of their stadium renovation deal. IIRC, MLB made the offer to help secure public funding for the Kaufmann stadium renovations.

I haven't heard that the Royals have turned that offer down. Given their need for revenue and ticket sales boosts, I'd be shocked if they indeed said no to an ASG.

Fenway
09-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Why did Fenway go from '61 to '99 without an All-Star game? Did the league not want to return to Boston for the ASG or was it the Red Sox who did not want the game?

The Red Sox didn't want to be bothered.

They also have never bothered with off season ventures like SoxFest which would attract thousands with cash in hand.

Yet this year they will put a skating rink in so people can ice skate at Fenway all winter ( for a slight fee :tongue: )

There is also talk of a Bruins-Montreal game at Fenway either this year or next.

They only took the 1999 game as a favor to Bud when Miller Park which was supposed to host it was not ready.

I think a hidden issue here is the cash cow called Fanfest. I think MLB has questions on how well it would do in a smaller market.