PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen Bash

RichH55
04-09-2002, 08:12 AM
Leaky bullpen sinking Sox

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UP NEXT
Sox at Tigers

PITCHERS: Dan Wright (0-0, 4.60 ERA) vs. Steve Sparks (0-0, 1.23 ERA)

TIME: 6:05 p.m. Tuesday.

TV/RADIO: WCIU-Ch. 26; WMVP-AM 1000.

QUICK LOOK: The Tigers are hitting .216 while their pitchers lead the league with 34 walks, two reasons why Phil Garner was canned on Monday. Shane Halter hit .439 this spring but is hitting .042 and is in the throes of an 0-for-21 slump.

Leaky bullpen sinking Sox
Apr 8, 2002

Ritchie OK, but support far from it
Apr 7, 2002

Laugher best medicine
Apr 6, 2002

It's starting to get ugly
Apr 5, 2002

Search for consistency
Apr 4, 2002

Paul Sullivan's answers
Apr 5, 2002

View from a Sox Fan
Apr 4, 2002

Sox's bullpen implodes once again
Apr 3, 2002

By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter

April 8, 2002 10:43 PM CDT

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
E-mail this story
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
DETROIT - A rainout in Detroit on Monday gave the White Sox a chance to think about where they are and where they're supposed to be.

The consensus preseason pick to win the Central Division has stumbled out of the gate for the second straight year, losing four of the first six games on their season-opening nine-game trip. Everyone knows what happened in April 2001, when the Sox finished 8-15 to fall 9 1/2 games behind first-place Minnesota. By the time they recovered, it was too late to matter.

"We don't want to let this go too far like last year," Jose Valentin said. "We better get everything straightened out right now."

The Sox pitching staff ranks 10th in earned-run average at 5.15, despite getting quality starts from Mark Buehrle, Todd Ritchie and Dan Wright in four of their six games. The rotation has held opposing hitters to a .220 average, ranking fourth among AL rotations with a 3.63 ERA.

But the bullpen is another story, with a combined 8.44 ERA and two blown saves in three opportunities. Four of the relievers have an ERA in double digits: Keith Foulke (13.50), Antonio Osuna (14.73), Lorenzo Barcelo (18.00) and Damaso Marte (40.50). Opposing hitters are batting .600 off Foulke, who was eighth among AL relievers last year in limiting opposing batters to a .199 average.

Last week in Seattle, some members of the Mariners' bullpen told the Seattle media that Sox relievers were coming into games without throwing many warm-up pitches in the bullpen. On Sunday, Osuna came into the game for Marte in the seventh inning without warming up long, and was rocked for five runs to put a close game out of reach.

Manuel said Osuna "felt he had enough time" in the pen but added that he probably will have his relievers coming off of arm surgery (Osuna and Barcelo) start warming up earlier in the future.

Valentin said the real solution to what is ailing the Sox can be found in Chicago.

"We've been on the road for so long," he said. "A month and a half of spring training, and then starting out with nine games on the road, it's kind of weird. We need to get home pretty bad. We'll play there for a week, and if we win all seven games, we'll do what we're capable of doing. Hopefully by the time we get home we'll be .500 and take over from there."

Sox management wants the Sox to start on the road because of the difficulty of drawing in Chicago for early April games, which is why they almost never open the season at Comiskey Park. But it may also be counterproductive for the players, who are at a disadvantage in the opening week of the season, playing away from home.

Valentin said the Sox need to win the next two games in Detroit, playing against an 0-6 team that just fired its manager.

"Detroit is playing worse than us, and now that they're down, we have to keep them down," Valentin said. "We can't take it easy against them. We have to beat them. You know, we're not playing too well either. We're not too comfortable. Teams like Detroit, you have to beat."

Pitching switch: Jon Rauch lost his chance to start on Tuesday due to Monday's rainout. Manuel said Dan Wright will go against the Tigers on Tuesday, with Jon Garland in his regular spot Wednesday. Rauch will be available in the bullpen for now, though Manuel didn't say whether Rauch would rejoin the rotation. With an off-day Thursday, the Sox won't need a fifth starter again until April 16 against Cleveland at Comiskey. Jim Parque could get that spot if he has another strong start for Triple-A Charlotte on Wednesday.

Spiff
04-09-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Last week in Seattle, some members of the Mariners' bullpen told the Seattle media that Sox relievers were coming into games without throwing many warm-up pitches in the bullpen. On Sunday, Osuna came into the game for Marte in the seventh inning without warming up long, and was rocked for five runs to put a close game out of reach.

Manuel said Osuna "felt he had enough time" in the pen but added that he probably will have his relievers coming off of arm surgery (Osuna and Barcelo) start warming up earlier in the future.

They are even stupider than I thought. Not warming up?? ***??

Originally posted by RichH55
Valentin said the real solution to what is ailing the Sox can be found in Chicago.

"We've been on the road for so long," he said. "A month and a half of spring training, and then starting out with nine games on the road, it's kind of weird. We need to get home pretty bad. We'll play there for a week, and if we win all seven games, we'll do what we're capable of doing. Hopefully by the time we get home we'll be .500 and take over from there."

This is exactly what I said yesterday. They are exhausted and homesick.

Iguana775
04-09-2002, 08:59 AM
is JM completely inept??? not making his relievers warm up is completey idiotic. especially ones that are coming off of the knife. is he trying to get fired???

bjmarte
04-09-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
is JM completely inept??? not making his relievers warm up is completey idiotic. especially ones that are coming off of the knife. is he trying to get fired???

Blame Nardi!

Iguana775
04-09-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by bjmarte

Blame Nardi!

true.....he needs to be kicked in the nads and told to never come back. the guy freaking sux!!!!!

ode to veeck
04-09-2002, 02:47 PM
I really miss freezing my a__ off on opening day in comiskey, used to be an annual tradition for an old buddy and I when we still lived in chicago (including consumption of lots of anti-freeze)--I didn't realize the jerry/bud baseball mafia had manipulated the schedule so ...

Cheryl
04-09-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
I really miss freezing my a__ off on opening day in comiskey, used to be an annual tradition for an old buddy and I when we still lived in chicago (including consumption of lots of anti-freeze)--I didn't realize the jerry/bud baseball mafia had manipulated the schedule so ...

It's supposed to be 70 Friday.

Last year, though, it was awful. Drizzling and about 40.