PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9/4 Better Late Than... Ah, Forget It Postgame Thread

DoItForDanPasqua
09-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Excellent game by Garland; at least they can be spoilers.

The Immigrant
09-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Man, we absolutely own Detroit this year.

:supernana:

GlassSox
09-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm still watching and it was good to watch a winner.

kitekrazy
09-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Did I see a Bobby Jenks sighting? I can't remember the last time he was out there.

JermaineDye05
09-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Bobby hasn't allowed a run since July 17 (knock on wood so we don't jinx him), funny how ESPN decides to gush over Papelbon and state that hasn't allowed one since July 28 granted they are both great closers but we all know who the spotlight is always on even when the WS are in the hunt.

The Immigrant
09-04-2007, 10:25 PM
I believe that was the first walk allowed by Bobby since July 7th. Hawk didn't quite know how to react to the walk, it had been so long.

JermaineDye05
09-04-2007, 10:26 PM
I believe that was the first walk allowed by Bobby since July 7th. Hawk didn't quite know how to react to the walk, it had been so long.

I think also because the pitch appeared to be on the corner and should have been strike 3.

GlassSox
09-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I think also because the pitch appeared to be on the corner and should have been strike 3.

I agree, it looked like a strike to me too.

The Racehorse
09-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Rongey smacking down some dopey caller on The Score post game show... LOL

ChiSoxGirl
09-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Rongey smacking down some dopey caller on The Score post game show... LOL

I know. That guy was a joke! I was :roflmao:!

RockJock07
09-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Didn't see the game but the Sox continue to baffle me. They are dominating the Tigers this season, there is no reasonable explanation for this. The Indians have the Sox to thank for them making the playoffs.

oeo
09-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Didn't see the game but the Sox continue to baffle me. They are dominating the Tigers this season, there is no reasonable explanation for this. The Indians have the Sox to thank for them making the playoffs.

They owned the Tigers last year, too. The Sox play well against the Central, minus the Indians.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Didn't see the game but the Sox continue to baffle me. They are dominating the Tigers this season, there is no reasonable explanation for this.

Sort of the reverse of the situation a few years ago when the Sox struggled against Detroit when they were just terrible.

Tigers looked flat except for that bit of energy at the end. They may play better tomorrow but I can see why some of their fans on this board are worried.

The Racehorse
09-04-2007, 11:00 PM
I know. That guy was a joke! I was :roflmao:!

Some guy named Rodney defending the guy named Bob... this is like listening to "who's on first".

But way more entertaining.

:D:

ChiSoxGirl
09-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Some guy named Rodney defending the guy named Bob... this is like listening to "who's on first".

But way more entertaining.

:D:

Rongey's postgame shows have been very entertaining for weeks. This past Friday night was epic. The tools calling in were numerous and he literally got into a fight with two callers on the air. Classic! :roflmao::bandance:

Brian26
09-04-2007, 11:26 PM
I was talking to Rongey during the commercial break after that call from Bob. We were laughing at Bob's assessment of Vazquez as "marginal" this year.

ChiSoxGirl
09-04-2007, 11:32 PM
I was talking to Rongey during the commercial break after that call from Bob. We were laughing at Bob's assessment of Vazquez as "marginal" this year.

Do you call in regularly? Are you ever on the air? I don't think I've heard you on his show before....

ShoelessJoeS
09-04-2007, 11:44 PM
I was talking to Rongey during the commercial break after that call from Bob. We were laughing at Bob's assessment of Vazquez as "marginal" this year."Marginal?"

That is laughable.

TomParrish79
09-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Nice game and another save for Bobby

kevingrt
09-05-2007, 12:34 AM
I love beating the Tigers, Twins, or Indians when they need wins to stay alive in the playoff race. If only the team we were helping wasn't the Yankees it would feel so much better.

Huisj
09-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Just got back from Detroit. I guess I picked a good game to be my first game of the year (I know, that's pathetic, but I've been busy).

One big thing I took from that game--Tigers fans really seem depressed right now. Lots of the ones sitting around me seem pretty much convinced it's totally over for them.

Also, Cintron's timing looked right for about the first time all year. He was sitting on stuff all game. What is it with him against the Tigers? He had some big killer hits against them last year too. His arm from third still doesn't look too stellar though (better than Gonzalez last week though for sure).

All in all, a good spur-of-the-moment decision to go to the game tonight.

Jurr
09-05-2007, 01:09 AM
Excellent game by Garland; at least they can be spoilers.
They spoiled my whole damn summer already!!!!

Foulke You
09-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Just got back from Detroit. I guess I picked a good game to be my first game of the year (I know, that's pathetic, but I've been busy).

One big thing I took from that game--Tigers fans really seem depressed right now. Lots of the ones sitting around me seem pretty much convinced it's totally over for them.

Also, Cintron's timing looked right for about the first time all year. He was sitting on stuff all game. What is it with him against the Tigers? He had some big killer hits against them last year too. His arm from third still doesn't look too stellar though (better than Gonzalez last week though for sure).

All in all, a good spur-of-the-moment decision to go to the game tonight.
That was easily the best Cintron has looked all year at the plate. It almost makes you wonder if that elbow never healed in the offseason and he still had some pain. He wasn't the same player from '06, that's for sure. Of course, the same could be said about a lot of this year's squad.

JB98
09-05-2007, 01:47 AM
It's been awhile since I've seen Garland pitch that well. He was throwing his fastball inside on hitters, his sinker was working, and he was getting his breaking ball over. Outstanding.

Jenks had Inge struck out not once, but twice. That should have been a 1-2-3 ninth. The umpire just blew it. Good to see Bobby sack up and make a nasty pitch to fan Granderson with the game on the line. That's why he's one of the top closers in the game.

Railsplitter
09-05-2007, 07:27 AM
If only they were poiling it for the Yankers

Oh well :bandance::bandance:

Jerko
09-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Did Hawk break out a "put it on the boooooooooarddddddddd, NO" last night? I heard it on the radio this morning and was laughing my ass off.

slavko
09-05-2007, 10:28 AM
But it wouldn't have been a Heartbreaking Tigers Loss without the ninth inning. Part of it's a Garland mystery, part of it's the Tigers in quitting mode.

Hitmen77
09-05-2007, 10:46 AM

I found this statistic from the Trib today quite surprising:
Despite the Sox's 60-79 record, they have a 6-1 record at Detroit (73-65) this season and have a better record (16-27) than the Tigers (15-28) over their last 43 games.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070904soxgamer,1,5246648.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

:o:
Given the Sox just went through a very brutal stretch, I'm shocked to hear that the Tigers have a worse record over the last 43 games.

salty99
09-05-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm not surprised. The AL Central has been BAD for the last 2 months and the best of the worst, Cleveland, has been pulling away.

Brian26 likes harrassing Rongey on AIM during the post game show.

salty99
09-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Since August 1st AL central records:

Cleveland: 20-12
Det: 12-20
Twins: 14-19
KC: 15-17
White Sox: 11-21

Total: 72-89 Not good

spawn
09-05-2007, 10:59 AM
I found this statistic from the Trib today quite surprising:

Despite the Sox's 60-79 record, they have a 6-1 record at Detroit (73-65) this season and have a better record (16-27) than the Tigers (15-28) over their last 43 games.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070904soxgamer,1,5246648.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

:o:

I find it interesting the Trib gives the Sox 60 wins when they've only won 59 games. It's all in the details...:D:

Dick Allen
09-05-2007, 02:22 PM
It's been awhile since I've seen Garland pitch that well. He was throwing his fastball inside on hitters, his sinker was working, and he was getting his breaking ball over. Outstanding.

Jenks had Inge struck out not once, but twice. That should have been a 1-2-3 ninth. The umpire just blew it. Good to see Bobby sack up and make a nasty pitch to fan Granderson with the game on the line. That's why he's one of the top closers in the game.One of the pitches, Hall's target was on the outside part of the plate and the pitch came on the inside part of the plate. It looked like the umpire got fooled and therefore decided to call it a ball.:?: It was a great pitch regardless of where the target was.

Oblong
09-05-2007, 04:01 PM
I was at the game. Was it just me or did Garland throw 8 pitches total in 2 of the first few innings? I think it was the 3rd and 4th.

I don't know what it is about Jenks but his fastballs look a lot faster in person. Maybe it's the way he holds the ball until the very end. My angle was a straight line from the mound thorugh first base, even with the right fielder.

cwsfannick
09-05-2007, 07:08 PM
I was at the game. Was it just me or did Garland throw 8 pitches total in 2 of the first few innings? I think it was the 3rd and 4th.

I don't know what it is about Jenks but his fastballs look a lot faster in person. Maybe it's the way he holds the ball until the very end. My angle was a straight line from the mound thorugh first base, even with the right fielder.

Other than Guillen no other Tiger hitters were working counts. Garland was on top of his game however getting a great deal of ground ball outs.

I thought when Bonderman got out of the first without giving up any runs that he would settle in and shut us down. Complete opposite he found himself in trouble in almost every inning and threw an awful lot of pitches. Miner pitched great in relief to keep you guys in the game.

Jenks has been our most consistent pitcher out of the bullpen this entire season. He is just a monster who can bring the heat and throw it for strikes. It doubly tough when he is able to get the curve over.