PDA

View Full Version : The Waiting is the Hardest Part

RichH55
04-09-2002, 08:10 AM
Wright deals with the wait

April 9, 2002

BY DOUG PADILLA STAFF REPORTER

DETROIT-- Danny Wright played it cool during Monday's rain delay in Detroit, trying not to get worked up over a start that didn't look likely to happen.

Although eager to return to the mound after a solid six-inning performance in his 2002 debut at Seattle, Wright correctly assumed that Monday's series opener at Detroit's Comerica Park would be postponed.

About an hour before first pitch, the game was called with no makeup date set. The Tigers did say that the game will be made up later, but not on Thursday's day off for both teams.

"It's not too bad,'' said Wright, who gave up three runs and four hits in a no-decision against the Mariners on Wednesday. "A situation like today, it was pretty obvious we weren't going to play, so I didn't get anything started.''

Wright said that a bonus day off is welcome more often than not. This would be a time when it isn't welcome.

"Early in the season it's not as big of a deal,'' the right-hander said. "It's not as nice because you are ready to get into a rhythm and get going. It's just one day, so it's not a big deal.''

RAUCH SKIPPED: The rainout altered the Sox' pitching plans, keeping them on a four-man rotation.

Jon Rauch, who was expected to get his first major-league start today, will go to the bullpen instead. Wright will start tonight's game against the Tigers, with Jon Garland starting in his original spot on Wednesday.

That leaves left-hander Mark Buehrle in line to start the home opener.

When pondering his pitching plan during the rain delay, manager Jerry Manuel hinted that Garland might go to the bullpen with Rauch starting on Wednesday. But once the game officially was called, he changed his mind.

"The decision is not up to me,'' Garland said. "I can't make any calls. I have to go with the flow.''

Garland, who struggled in his season debut at Kansas City, is eager to pitch again.

"You always want to get back on the mound after a loss,'' he said. "But like I said after my start, that was one of those days where nothing goes right for you."

REST AREA: Even though it is early in the season, Manuel said he welcomes the unexpected day off since it gives him an opportunity to rest his veteran position players.

"They are a little older than what we've had in the past here,'' Manuel said. "I'd like to keep Kenny Lofton as fresh as possible. It's always good for a guy like Sandy [Alomar Jr.] to get a break.''

Manuel planned on giving Lofton a rest Wednesday a