PDA

View Full Version : We Hate Uribe

LITTLE NELL
09-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Im just curious on what makes a guy like Uribe disintergrate into a piece of garbage player. Is he home run happy? Why cant he take pitches? Why doesnt he hit to right field and build up his BA. After 05 I thought we were set at shortstop for at least 5 or 7 years. This guy will be very lucky to be on a MLB team next year. What a waste.

Domeshot17
09-04-2007, 02:16 PM
(1) He is lazy

(2) He has really only had 1 good year

(3) He is really lazy

(4) If he doesn't make a diving catch in the world series everyone here would be calling for his head

(5) Lazy

(6) When you are a worse hitter then Brian Anderson, you know you are doomed.

He had a good year in 04 and pitches learned how to pitch him after that. Then we learned to accept his piss poor offensive skills because he had a great glove. Then he got lazy with that, started making errant throws, bad feeds on double plays. He cant even bunt for christ sake. We better have a new SS next year. I mean the only thing he brings is occasional power, but Ive come to realize its just because for 500-600 ABs a year, he just swings as hard as he freaking can at anything that comes his way and runs into 15-20 of the balls a year.

alohafri
09-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Im just curious on what makes a guy like Uribe disintergrate into a piece of garbage player. Is he home run happy? Why cant he take pitches? Why doesnt he hit to right field and build up his BA. After 05 I thought we were set at shortstop for at least 5 or 7 years. This guy will be very lucky to be on a MLB team next year. What a waste.

Maybe it is the thought of 5-7 years in a Dominican jail that caused him to disintigrate.

Either way, I hope he is gone. He swings like a rusty gate...and has never seen a pitch he didn't like.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2007, 02:24 PM
According to the newspaper stories at the time of his acquisition, they talked with people in Colorado who said he had a world of talent but was lazy.

That showed in 2006 when he came to camp out of shape.

It's a shame because we saw flashes of his ability in 2005 but he's not willing to work at his craft and will soon be out of the league.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
09-04-2007, 02:33 PM
According to the newspaper stories at the time of his acquisition, they talked with people in Colorado who said he had a world of talent but was lazy.

That showed in 2006 when he came to camp out of shape.

It's a shame because we saw flashes of his ability in 2005 but he's not willing to work at his craft and will soon be out of the league.

Lip
It is a shame. I just cant understand a guy that has a MLB job and is making 5mil a year,why you would not do everything to keep your job and not be fat and lazy. I hope he enjoys driving a cab in Santo Domingo for the next 30 or 40 years for 50 bucks a week.

The Immigrant
09-04-2007, 02:38 PM
I hope he enjoys driving a cab in Santo Domingo for the next 30 or 40 years for 50 bucks a week.

Juan Uribe has made more than $10 million in his 5 years in MLB, and if the Sox don't pick up his option for next year he'll catch on with some other team that's enamored with his occasional power. I don't think he'll be forced to drive a cab for a living anytime soon.

LITTLE NELL
09-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Juan Uribe has made more than $10 million in his 5 years in MLB, and if the Sox don't pick up his option for next year he'll catch on with some other team that's enamored with his occasional power. I don't think he'll be forced to drive a cab for a living anytime soon.
You may be right, some dumb GM might take a gamble on him. As far as the 10mil, hes probably the kind of person that hasnt invested wisely or bought too many groceries.

palehozenychicty
09-04-2007, 03:42 PM
If Uribe is on this team next year, then we are in big trouble. For the people who are saying that there's nobody out there better than Uribe, they're crazy. Uribe, other than his occassional bouts of power, has little value for his contract. He's too inept at everything else to deserve a spot on the team.

voodoochile
09-04-2007, 03:51 PM
You may be right, some dumb GM might take a gamble on him. As far as the 10mil, hes probably the kind of person that hasnt invested wisely or bought too many groceries.

Just curious as to why you think this? Is there something you have heard or read or are you just talking out your ass and making up a bunch of stuff based on your opinion of the player in question?

Droso5
09-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Uribe should not even sniff the field while wearing a White Sox uniform next year. He is truly a lazy player who has let his free swingin, rally killin' lazy double play feeding ways tear a hole in this team...and that hole is whatever spot he is "batting" (I use that term loosely) and his D has gone from his saving grace to a decent liability.

He sucks now. Period. If this team wants to rebuild and give it another shot in the years down the road he and others need to go. Accountability is something that needs to be practiced. Some coaches need to be sacrificed, some players need to be given a pink-slip. Juan coming in way out of shape and hacking at everything while playing lazy D is not and should not be acceptable. If he is still on this team next year in ANY capactiy, this does not bode well for the makeup, both in management and on the field, of this franchise. :gulp:Ship it Danno.

skobabe8
09-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Just curious as to why you think this? Is there something you have heard or read or are you just talking out your ass and making up a bunch of stuff based on your opinion of the player in question?

Survey says....option B!

diehardRLsoxfan
09-04-2007, 03:58 PM
what does everyone think about eckstein as a replacement? and by the way how do u post a message on here without seein sum1 elses message in the message box?

GAsoxfan
09-04-2007, 04:00 PM

Perhaps the thought that someone who is undisciplined and lazy in one area of his life may be undisciplined and lazy in other areas of his life.

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2007, 04:03 PM
what does everyone think about eckstein as a replacement? and by the way how do u post a message on here without seein sum1 elses message in the message box?By simply clicking on the "post reply" button at the bottom of the thread.

Just a clue: You'll note that the vast majority of posters on here don't use text-message style. It's very hard to read. Use capital letters and spell out words, such as "someone" instead of "sum1".

voodoochile
09-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Perhaps the thought that someone who is undisciplined and lazy in one area of his life may be undisciplined and lazy in other areas of his life.

That's one incredible quantity of lack of discipline/laziness. I mean lots of people can suck at their job and yet still find a way not to blow the millions of dollars they have made while sucking at that job.

Lot's of anger directed at Juan around these parts as if had he had his best season ever, the Sox would have 95 wins instead of 65 or so that is more likely at present...

Jurr
09-04-2007, 04:23 PM
My problem with him is his drastic defensive decline (love the alliteration).
When he struggled at the plate in the past, he could still make game changing plays at short. It seemed like midway through '06, he lost the ability to even do that! Sad, sad, sad.

spiffie
09-04-2007, 04:38 PM
That's one incredible quantity of lack of discipline/laziness. I mean lots of people can suck at their job and yet still find a way not to blow the millions of dollars they have made while sucking at that job.

Lot's of anger directed at Juan around these parts as if had he had his best season ever, the Sox would have 95 wins instead of 65 or so that is more likely at present...
I think the reason for the animosity is that with a lot of the other guys the decline in performance is either due to injury or simply is inexplicable. With a lot of the young guys its a sense that they are overmatched. With Juan though he seems to many of us to be, and has been for a year or two now, to be lazy, to be not playing as hard as he can be, and not preparing as well as he should. Bad performance due to injury or the vagaries of baseball slumps, while frustrating, are more forgiveable by fans. When a guy seems to be ignoring any advice his coaches might be giving him, to be seemingly only interested in what he wants (which is the implication his continual HR hack swing gives to people), and appears to be physically unprepared to play...that's going to cheese people off. It has seemed like Juan has been coasting off 2005 for two seasons now, and that's unacceptable.

LITTLE NELL
09-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Very frustrated with the Sox this year and Uribe frustrates me more than anyone since Claudell Washington.Of course I dont know how he invests his money or how much groceries he buys but the key word in my statement was "probably".

JB98
09-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Tejada, Renteria and Furcal are three shortstops who might be available via trade this offseason. KW should see what it would take to get one of the them.

I don't want Uribe back. I don't want Jack Wilson. I don't want Eckstein, and I don't want ancient Omar Vizquel.

In fact, I'd rather keep Uribe than acquire Wilson or Vizquel.

southside rocks
09-04-2007, 06:59 PM

I don't think that Juan Uribe "disintegrated" -- I think he never achieved his full potential as a player, and is constantly falling short of that achievement.

He's shown flashes, sometime for a month or more, of what he COULD be if he put his mind to it. He has never been that player for an entire season.

Somebody pointed out a while ago, I think, that Ozzie might be as frustrated with Uribe as he is because he, Ozzie, never had half the raw talent that Uribe does. Guillen scrapped every day of his pro career, and if Juan would put out one quarter of the effort that Ozzie did, he -- Juan -- would be an All-Star shortstop. Talent, the guy's got it by the ton. But if you don't turn talent into performance, it's useless.

And what stops most athletes from doing that, what causes them to not turn their talent into consistent performance? IMO, maturity -- lack of.

I really thought that Juan Uribe, who is now 27 (right?), was going to grow up this season. I was wrong. Too bad for the Sox and too bad for Juan.

WhiteSox5187
09-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Tejada, Renteria and Furcal are three shortstops who might be available via trade this offseason. KW should see what it would take to get one of the them.

I don't want Uribe back. I don't want Jack Wilson. I don't want Eckstein, and I don't want ancient Omar Vizquel.

I'd love to see Renteria on the Sox next year, and I think Eckstein would make a good second baseman if Richar doesn't turn out well (we'll know by the end of the year).

Someone mentioned Ozzie's frusturation at Uribe because of how Ozzie just scrapped out a career (and a very SOLID career I might add) at short while Uribe has so much more talent and does nothing, I think that hits the nail right on the head. Uribe could EASILY be one of the premerie shortstops in the game if he just made a few changes in his game and I'm sure someone has pointed this out to him, but he doesn't listen! He swings at anything from his eyes down to his shoe tops, he's lazy in the field and has poor form with ground balls (has anyone else noticed how he almost ALWAYS fields a ground ball to his side? never in front of him?). It's maddening. He has so much talent but doesn't harvest it. Bringing him back next year at short would be inexcusable.

kevin57
09-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Uribe's nearly always underwhelming offense was okay so long as his glove was very good. Now he brings nothing to the table. Why? He's out of shape and his legal troubles in the Republica Dominicana are likely to fester for a while.

I too am surprised Ozzie is tolerating it. Of anyone he knows and treasures the SS position, and to watch Uribe on the field must drive him nuts...as we've seen flashes of.

Grzegorz
09-04-2007, 09:32 PM

So you believe Wilson would not be an upgrade over Uribe? I do not get it.

kitekrazy
09-04-2007, 10:27 PM

I just hope that dumb GM is not Kenny Williams.

wassagstdu
09-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Call me crazy, but I want to see Uribe back next year. Maybe his legal problems got him off on the wrong foot this spring and he never quite settled in. I still like his defense and I do not understand the "lazy" label. It seems to have come with him from Colorado and hung around. Maybe because he is not built like Jose Reyes?

Whatever you think of all that, I say that there are many players and circumstances to blame for this year's debacle, and Juan Uribe is way down the list.

Uribe and Crede are the best left side of the infield defensively in my lifetime. To say Uribe's defensive reputation stands on one WS catch is just ridiculous. He is the one I want in front of a tough ground ball in a key situation and with Sox pitching there are a lot of those.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Whatever you think of all that, I say that there are many players and circumstances to blame for this year's debacle, and Juan Uribe is way down the list.

There's a lot wrong, but I rank Uribe higher up the list than you do. Watching him constantly strike out with men on base, it feels like he is half the offensive problem. He isn't, mathematically, but those swings are just maddening.

RockJock07
09-04-2007, 11:14 PM

I disagree. I doubt that KW tries to get any of those first three you mentioned. Plus as bad as Garland has been this season, i'd rather have him then anyone of those guys.

I agree with the Jack Wilson comment but i know Vizquel is old but he is still a better player then Uribe is. I wouldn't mind seeing him on next years team. Either way, Uribe needs to go and someone else needs to be at SS next season.

Tragg
09-04-2007, 11:16 PM

In fact, I'd rather keep Uribe than acquire Wilson or Vizquel. I agree with your don't want list. But re the do want list, certainly they're all good players. However, those SS generally cost too much in terms of players for the production they provide (although Tejada can hit the ball). (they're also all at the prime of their career, if not past it). It's like catchers - Kendall was paid 10 mill a year for scott podsednik production - because he was a catcher. Maybe WE, for a change, can get someone else's salary dump for a cheap price in terms of players. I hope we can at least find someone who can play really good D and perhaps develop into a hitter.
The Braves gave ONE prospect for Renteria and that prospect was in a position of depth for the Braves. They wanted Jon Garland for him. Ridiculous and that uneven-handedness annoys me.

Hitmen77
09-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Call me crazy, but I want to see Uribe back next year. ....

Okay - You're crazy. :wink:

voodoochile
09-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Call me crazy, but I want to see Uribe back next year. Maybe his legal problems got him off on the wrong foot this spring and he never quite settled in. I still like his defense and I do not understand the "lazy" label. It seems to have come with him from Colorado and hung around. Maybe because he is not built like Jose Reyes?

Uribe and Crede are the best left side of the infield defensively in my lifetime. To say Uribe's defensive reputation stands on one WS catch is just ridiculous. He is the one I want in front of a tough ground ball in a key situation and with Sox pitching there are a lot of those.

By consensus, There are three main areas to be addressed this off season - CF, pitching and SS.

Of the three, SS is the least problematic area. The Sox at present have two slots struggling in the starting rotation, major holes in the bullpen and no serious plan for CF unless Owens suddenly starts hitting and develops some kind of arm strength that doesn't require him to short hop the ball to the SS after fielding a single in medium CF.

Uribe hasn't had a good year, but there may be mitigating circumstances that affected his season (certainly potentially being charged with murder and being forced to quit professional baseball could throw a person off their game) and if not, it was still his worst statistical season since joining the team. If he bounces back to career averages, he'd be adequate provided the other holes don't go unfilled.

The questions surrounding Contreras and the bullpen are much bigger, IMO and certainly will have a bigger effect on whether next season sees the Sox back in playoff contention or playing out the string on another lost season. Those answers aren't easy either because Contreras makes a boatload of money is virtually untradable and might or might not bounce back to form after having major personal problems of his own this season.

Uribe may be a scape goat, but he's not the main reason the Sox have sucked this year and if the Sox spend the money elsewhere to make major improvements to other vital areas and bring Juan back on the cheap, it won't bother me at all.

TomParrish79
09-05-2007, 12:07 AM
I'll always remember his catch in Houston...but he has got to go. He cant hit, he looks ridiculous swinging for the fences and like some people have mentioned he has become so lazy on defense that he isn't helping us in the field like he did last year.

WhiteSox5187
09-05-2007, 12:31 AM
I'll always remember his catch in Houston...but he has got to go. He cant hit, he looks ridiculous swinging for the fences and like some people have mentioned he has become so lazy on defense that he isn't helping us in the field like he did last year.
Even last year he was a liability defensively! It was very clear starting in the second half that he was not a stellar defensive shortstop.

JB98
09-05-2007, 01:53 AM
So you believe Wilson would not be an upgrade over Uribe? I do not get it.

Wilson is pure garbage. He has fallen out of favor with an organization that hasn't had a winning season in 15 years. What does that tell you?

I'm not interested in taking any more scraps from losing organizations.

BainesHOF
09-05-2007, 02:54 AM
Whatever the alternative, Uribe has to go. His laziness symbolizes what has sickened this team. That he's been allowed to start game after game has hurt the team beyond his lack of production.

IlliniSox4Life
09-05-2007, 03:25 AM
Juan is not so bad a player that if everyone else on the team was really good he would drag them down a ton and create a bunch of extra losses. The problem is we have several players like that. Every team has at least one player that they could use an upgrade on but will "stomach" for lack of a better options. When we have 5-10 of those guys though that we have to stomach, that is the problem. If Juan is still here next year, I won't have a problem with it as long as there are at least a few other new (good) faces.

Plus, he could really stop being lazy. If he was a "grinder" that would make it easier to stomach his suckiness. At least you know he's giving it his all. When mediocre players are also lazy players though, it can be infuriating.

Grzegorz
09-05-2007, 05:45 AM
If Juan is still here next year, I won't have a problem with it as long as there are at least a few other new (good) faces.

Plus, he could really stop being lazy. If he was a "grinder" that would make it easier to stomach his suckiness. At least you know he's giving it his all. When mediocre players are also lazy players though, it can be infuriating.

Infuriating and demoralizing to say the least. If Uribe is with this team in 2008 then I really have to question some on the thinking at the top. Why accept mediocrity and laziness?

Wilson is pure garbage. He has fallen out of favor with an organization that hasn't had a winning season in 15 years. What does that tell you?

I'm not interested in taking any more scraps from losing organizations.

I tells me to ask the question as to why he's fallen out of favor. It has not caused me to assume that because the Pirates have been losing regularly that Wilson is a contributor to that losing.

Look at Wilson's numbers compared to Uribe's. Then tell me who the "scrap" player is.

Wilson would be a short term solution to a huge problem.

Sure it is easier to speculate about bigger names. That's is always the preferred route when it is not your money being spent.

soxfan80
09-05-2007, 08:53 AM
I'd love to see Renteria on the Sox next year, and I think Eckstein would make a good second baseman if Richar doesn't turn out well (we'll know by the end of the year).

Someone mentioned Ozzie's frusturation at Uribe because of how Ozzie just scrapped out a career (and a very SOLID career I might add) at short while Uribe has so much more talent and does nothing, I think that hits the nail right on the head. Uribe could EASILY be one of the premerie shortstops in the game if he just made a few changes in his game and I'm sure someone has pointed this out to him, but he doesn't listen! He swings at anything from his eyes down to his shoe tops, he's lazy in the field and has poor form with ground balls (has anyone else noticed how he almost ALWAYS fields a ground ball to his side? never in front of him?). It's maddening. He has so much talent but doesn't harvest it. Bringing him back next year at short would be inexcusable.like not being a fat piece of garbage?

voodoochile
09-05-2007, 09:17 AM
like not being a fat piece of garbage?

Well there ya go. Congrats, your post got this moved. Since no one really wants to talk about the SS situation, but merely throw insults around, this thread doesn't belong in the Clubhouse.

CLR01
09-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Why accept mediocrity and laziness?

Because he made a catch in the World Series and he sometimes tries real hard. He is certainly worth $5 million a year. Be nice to Juan, he almost went to jail this season, that's why he sucks. :rolleyes:

voodoochile
09-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Because he made a catch in the World Series and he sometimes tries real hard. He is certainly worth $5 million a year. Be nice to Juan, he almost went to jail this season, that's why he sucks. :rolleyes:

It might have played a part in his early season struggles, but either way, what's being said in this thread of consequence?

Let's see...

Juan's fat.
Juan's lazy.
Juan's stupid.
Juan's a piece of garbage.
Juan sucks worse than the suckiest suck who ever sucked.

Well... isn't that special and so enlightening too...:rolleyes:

CLR01
09-05-2007, 01:20 PM
It might have played a part in his early season struggles, but either way, what's being said in this thread of consequence?

Let's see...

Juan's fat.
Juan's lazy.
Juan's stupid.
Juan's a piece of garbage.
Juan sucks worse than the suckiest suck who ever sucked.

Well... isn't that special and so enlightening too...:rolleyes:

When did this turn into a thread about Anderson?

Uribe is a special player and I believe next year will be the year he finally puts it all together and turns into the monster player we all know he will be. I can think of 1000 different excuses for he he has been slightly below great for most of his career. What you see is an illusion. Rock on you Uribe.

CLR01
09-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Why do you all hate the White Sox?

peelwonder
09-05-2007, 01:28 PM

What about Guillen and Ventura?

soxfan13
09-05-2007, 01:35 PM

Yeah because you never hear about athletes that have made more money then that, being broke.

ilsox7
09-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah because you never hear about athletes that have made more money then that, being broke.

Juan also has his pension, which given his service time (5 years) he is vested in. It is highly unlikely that Juan Uribe will be hurting for money anytime soon.

soxwon
09-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Uribe -Mr White Sox 7/11-7/12/07

soxwon
09-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Remember after we won it in 05? And many of us said we would gladly have 3 or 4 bad seasons, because it didnt matter because we won it?

Well now were complaining, and forgot what we said.

MarySwiss
09-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Remember after we won it in 05? And many of us said we would gladly have 3 or 4 bad seasons, because it didnt matter because we won it?

Thanks for pointing this out. Uribe had as much to do as anyone with us winning the WS. Granted, he's had a bad year offensively, but I don't think his defensive play merits him being thrown under the bus. (BTW, can I nominate that expression for the scrap heap? Now that I've used it, of course!)

PatK
09-13-2007, 03:28 PM

I don't know why, but that last line really made me laugh.

GregO23
09-13-2007, 03:33 PM
I hate Juan Uribe. I am in a 14 team, Al only, 25 player league fantasy league, so Uribe is somewhat important since he plays every day. Now, I had Uribe for maybe a half a year, and I traded him in a package to get a better SS(can recall who, but I traded that SS for a better one in pedroia =). But now this week I am playing the team I traded Uribe to(2 week playoff in which I was beating him by like 7 games) And now the man I am facing is on a man-tear, mostly because of what Uribe has done lately. He is on tear right now and I hate him. thanks alot now im losing by 1!!! Lets go Chicago Stockings!!!!
http://games.espn.go.com/flb/leagueoffice?leagueId=15753&seasonId=2007

theres the link if anyone is interested at looking at my team haha. Its a pretty decent team imo.

Domeshot17
09-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Uribe made a great catch in 2005, thanks for it, quit living on it.

This is 2007, and baseball is a what have you done for me lately sport. Geoff Blum hit that huge homer, would we want him starting at 3rd for us (well maybe over Andy Gonzalez). Carl Everett was our DH that year, should we bring him back. Politte-Freddy-Hermanson-Widger etc. Hell Cotts was just as big as anyone in that run, and we dumped him after 1 bad year too.

Uribe needs to go, case closed.

ondafarm
09-13-2007, 04:47 PM
I don't hate Juan Uribe. I do think his incident with the farmer back in the DR and the accusations of a shooting was poorly handled. As a ballplayer, I think he has things to contribute. As a White Sox fan, I hope he is contributing for someone else next year.

goon
09-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Uribe made a great catch in 2005, thanks for it, quit living on it.

That's bull****. It's annoying that people pretend Juan Uribe can be defined by one ****ing catch during the World Series.

1. Uribe is NOT having a bad defensive season, in fact, this season mirrors every other season he's had at SS.

2. Uribe is AND SHOULD ALWAYS BE evaluated as a #9 hitter, I don't really care if Danny Richar is in the 9 hole right now. The SS position should certainly be a spot where offense can be sacrificed for strong defense and Juan is a great defensive player. He's not a good hitter, however, he does have good power and usually puts up impressive RBI totals. If the White Sox need to depend on their #9 hitter for offensive production, then the rest of the lineup must suck.

If the White Sox replace him in the offseason, whatever, but he's hardly been our problem this year or last year.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Goon:

He has been part of the problem though, just as an awful bullpen, lack of situational hitting and a lack of fundamentals by a number of players has been involved.

It may not be fair but when you have a season like this, guys need to be shipped out...you can't bring back the same team and hope they do better.

Lip

goon
09-14-2007, 02:21 AM
Goon:

He has been part of the problem though, just as an awful bullpen, lack of situational hitting and a lack of fundamentals by a number of players has been involved.

It may not be fair but when you have a season like this, guys need to be shipped out...you can't bring back the same team and hope they do better.

Lip

Totally, but besides Jenks, Buehrle,Vazquez, Fields and to a lesser extent Garland and Danks (Danks has been solid imo), who hasn't been apart of the problem this year? I think you could argue nearly everyone on the 25 man roster, with exception to the few players I listed, have had a significant part in this terrible season. Whether that be due to injuries, offensive struggles, bullpen struggles, this team sucked. The point I was trying to make is that Uribe has been good on defense year, despite what some have been saying and also that no team should be so dependent on a #9 hitter that their season hinges on his performance. That's nuts.

Grzegorz
09-14-2007, 05:48 AM

Many others may have said as much but I know I didn't. The Chicago White Sox still have a chance to turn this thing around and build a winner on the south side. Frankly, I am tired of seeing this team capitulate to the Cubs and Bears.

It's time to build a winning tradition, build and sustain a fan base, and threaten for a title in the years to come.

As for Uribe his recent power surge does nothing for me. His inefficiency and poor fundamentals will not improve; I am tired of seeing him fail to execute when the season matters.

Uribe need to be on a different team in '08. I am not confident, with current management in place, that the Chicago White Sox will have a different SS in 2008.

wealz07
09-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Bring Uribe back and bat him 9th. Spend the money in CF.

hi im skot
09-14-2007, 09:25 AM
That's bull****. It's annoying that people pretend Juan Uribe can be defined by one ****ing catch during the World Series.

1. Uribe is NOT having a bad defensive season, in fact, this season mirrors every other season he's had at SS.

2. Uribe is AND SHOULD ALWAYS BE evaluated as a #9 hitter, I don't really care if Danny Richar is in the 9 hole right now. The SS position should certainly be a spot where offense can be sacrificed for strong defense and Juan is a great defensive player. He's not a good hitter, however, he does have good power and usually puts up impressive RBI totals. If the White Sox need to depend on their #9 hitter for offensive production, then the rest of the lineup must suck.

If the White Sox replace him in the offseason, whatever, but he's hardly been our problem this year or last year.

Bring Uribe back and bat him 9th. Spend the money in CF.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who sees the merit in keeping Uribe.

Look, this season is one of the most frustrating in a long, long time. I understand that. Uribe has had his problems, without question, but as it's already been said, he's hardly the reason we are where we are in the standings.

If we can upgrade at shortstop, of course, let's do it. I'm all for making any improvements we can; it'd be silly not too. But let's not throw money around at overpriced free agents just for the sake of spending.

By the way, Uribe's statistics (http://www.baseball-reference.com/u/uribeju01.shtml)(both offensive and defensive) are pretty much exactly where he's been throughout his tenure with the Sox.

I know this isn't a battle I'm going to win, but dammit, I'm tired of the Uribe bashing.

SBSoxFan
09-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who sees the merit in keeping Uribe.

Look, this season is one of the most frustrating in a long, long time. I understand that. Uribe has had his problems, without question, but as it's already been said, he's hardly the reason we are where we are in the standings.

If we can upgrade at shortstop, of course, let's do it. I'm all for making any improvements we can; it'd be silly not too. But let's not throw money around at overpriced free agents just for the sake of spending.

By the way, Uribe's statistics (http://www.baseball-reference.com/u/uribeju01.shtml)(both offensive and defensive) are pretty much exactly where he's been throughout his tenure with the Sox.

I know this isn't a battle I'm going to win, but dammit, I'm tired of the Uribe bashing.

His BA and OBP have dropped considerably since 2004. Were he having a season similar offensively to 2005 people probably wouldn't be complaining too much. What dumbfounds me is how much he has regressed and the parallel performance to Valentine's tenure here, who also kept regressing.

Regardless, it still seems highly likely Uribe will be with the Sox next year simply because there are few alternatives.

goon
09-14-2007, 12:03 PM
His BA and OBP have dropped considerably since 2004. Were he having a season similar offensively to 2005 people probably wouldn't be complaining too much. What dumbfounds me is how much he has regressed and the parallel performance to Valentine's tenure here, who also kept regressing.

Yeah, he has regressed a bit, which is troubling to see. Though his .OBP is up from last year, everything else seems to be down except for HR's and RBI's, though there aren't a lot of guys on base to bat in. Yet, here is the problem... every position player's stats are down from last year, not just Uribe's. Paulie is batting .260+, Dye is at .250, AJ is at .268, Pods has only played 50+ games, Crede's presence is lost in the lineup. Power numbers are down considerably, while some aren't hitting for average and others are have been injured.

jdm2662
09-14-2007, 12:04 PM
If I had to choose one player who I want off the team (and there is plenty to choose from), it's Uribe. I cannot stand players who are lazy and make mental errors. Uribe has both of those traits. I realize players have bad seasons. It's another thing to regress and continue to make mental errors like Uribe has done the past three seasons. Cut bait and move on. I really don't care who they replace him with.

GoSox2K3
09-14-2007, 12:30 PM

Is that really accurate? It sure seems to me like his defense is much worse now than '05. More costly errors, more soft bloops that fall just out of his reach.

I'm not here to necessarily argue this point, but that's just my impression of Juan's post-2005 play. If there is any evidence* (*I realize defense is difficult to measure via statistics) or consensus that his defense is as good as ever, that's fine. I'm just surprised - but I'm not in a position to debate it. I'll hang up now and listen for the response. :D:

goon
09-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Is that really accurate? It sure seems to me like his defense is much worse now than '05. More costly errors, more soft bloops that fall just out of his reach.

I'm not here to necessarily argue this point, but that's just my impression of Juan's post-2005 play. If there is any evidence* (*I realize defense is difficult to measure via statistics) or consensus that his defense is as good as ever, that's fine. I'm just surprised - but I'm not in a position to debate it. I'll hang up now and listen for the response. :D:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/u/uribeju01.shtml

Looks the same to me. Though, like you said, defense is more than just statistics...

spiffie
09-14-2007, 12:56 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/u/uribeju01.shtml

Looks the same to me. Though, like you said, defense is more than just statistics...
If anything defense is the most nebulous and hard to measure stats-wise. In Juan's case, the eyes tell the story, and this year I have watched a player who is slower, less effective, and seemingly disinterested. It isn't that Juan is a terrible SS, but now he's barely above average defensively. And when combined with being an offensive sinkhole, that becomes a problem. $5 million a year for slightly above avg. defense and one of the lowest OBP's in baseball is not a good deal.

Lip Man 1
09-14-2007, 01:05 PM
What is going to determine Juan's future is how Ozzie wants to play 2008 and if Kenny will allow him to do it.

Ozzie has made it clear that with the middle of the order filled with station to station, swing for the fences, all or nothing sluggers, the top two and bottom two spots in the lineup MUST be filled with guys who can steal bases, get on base, bunt, advance runners and execute the fundamentals.

If Ozzie is true to his words then Uribe is out because he does very little of the above criteria.

Lip

salty99
09-14-2007, 01:37 PM
I "hate" Mike MacDougal.

SBSoxFan
09-14-2007, 02:52 PM
What is going to determin Juan's future is how Ozzie wants to play 2008 and if Kenny will allow him to do it.

Ozzie has made it clear that with the middle of the order filled with station to station, swing for the fences, all or nothing sluggars, the top two and bottom two spots in the lineup MUST be filled with guys who can steal bases, get on base, bunt, advance runners and execute the fundamentals.

If Ozzie is true to his words then Uribe is out because he does very little of the above criteria.

Lip

It seems Ozzie gave Juan an ultimatum along these lines a month or so ago. After it, I recall Juan trying to steal more, and getting thrown out nearly every time! It also seems to me that Uribe is one of the best bunters on the team. Granted, that's not saying a lot ...

I guess it boils down to whether the Sox think they can get through to Uribe, and help him between the ears. I for one hope they can, because when he's on he's pretty amazing defensively. If not, I'm afraid people are gonna be complaining about the new SS next year.

Nellie_Fox
09-15-2007, 01:11 AM
If not, I'm afraid people are gonna be complaining about the new SS next year.I'm trying to think of a time when WSI posters haven't been complaining about SS. Occasionally when Manos was playing, and 2005. I think that's it.

Frater Perdurabo
09-15-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm trying to think of a time when WSI posters haven't been complaining about SS. Occasionally when Manos was playing, and 2005. I think that's it.

2000 and 2005 are the only seasons since WSI has been operational when Sox fans didn't have a reason to complain about shortstop.

soxinem1
09-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Sure, I would like to see Uribe replaced, and am very tired of his up/down performance (why does he always seem to get better in September?), but almost everyone on this roster is responsible for 2007's record.

Uribe is not a member of the pourous bullpen.

Uribe is not a table-setter in this line up.

Uribe is not the only guy on the team that cannot field his position. Not by far.

Uribe is not a starting pitcher who's skill at holding baserunners is a total joke.

Uribe is not the catcher who can barely throw the ball to 2B accurately on a SB attempt.

Uribe, though not fast by any means, can at least score from 2B on a single, unlike most of the line up.

So sure, while Renteria, Eckstein, Furcal, and a host of others would be a step up, Uribe is just a contributing factor to a disappointing season. The whole team has played like **** from day one of the season.

kevin57
09-15-2007, 03:19 PM
I distinctly remember Ozzie making a proclamation before players reported to AZ: "Uribe better show up in shape or he's outta here" (paraphrase).

Obviously, he didn't...so what will Ozzie do about his bold proclamation?

Domeshot17
09-16-2007, 03:30 PM

Wrong. If you want to 'pretend' Uribe has not been lazy defensively, on the bases, and at the plate feel free. If you want Uribe to be a 9 hitter, its even worse. He is a better 7 hitter then a 9. A 9 hitter can hit softly if he can be solid at the plate. What I mean by that is its fine if your 9 hitter is a weak hitter (and 260 weak, not 230 weak) as long as they can get guys over, have productive at bats, take walks, make the pitcher throw a lot of pitches. The truth is after 2 innings, the 9 hitter is your 2nd lead off man. He should be fast, smart on the bases, and capable of turning the lineup over.

We have a huge problem right now. Our 7-8-9-1-2 of Uribe Gonzalez Richar Owens Fields, none of them can hit above .260. As good as Fields has been I dont feel comfortable with him hitting higher then 8th next year because he hits for such a low average. Atleast he has room to grow.

Uribe has to go, especially with Ozzie's lovefest with Owens. Its bad enough we are probably going into 2008 with Owens in center and leading off, but if you have Uribe hitting 9 infront of him, this team is going to be desperate for offense.

Eckstein, at a good price, is the ideal 9 hitter. Now you lose something off the D, but again, I think Uribe's D is highly over rated. If he got back to what he did in 2004-2005, then yah its big. But Uribe the last 2 years is lazy going to his right, lazy on his throws, and if you didn't have an under rated Konerko at first scooping all of it out of the dirt, Uribe would have 7-8 more errors.

palehozenychicty
09-16-2007, 10:55 PM
Uribe is a bad baseball player on every level. He may have a couple weeks where he hits homers, but that's it. People who think he has any value at all are crazy.