PDA

View Full Version : 2008 schedule delayed another month

Fenway
09-04-2007, 01:49 PM
MLB has a new computer program that has some bugs.

It has scheduled 20 game homestands and been sending teams out west for one series.

"Very simply," Orza said, "there is a new computer program that they're having difficulty running properly, mainly a quirk of its newness. It's a technical matter. It's no one's fault. It's a new complicated computer program, which is why we gave [Major League Baseball] another extension. I expect we'll have one by the end of the month."

Amazing. For years MLB used a husband and wife in Staten Island to draft the schedule but MLB decided to use computers. What a joke.

DumpJerry
09-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Yet another example of how incompetent Bud is at this job. If ain't broke, don't fix it. The Staten Island couple did a great job all those years. Then Bud had the bright idea to hand it over to computer whiz kids at MIT and the scheduling made as much sense as a Chinese fire drill.

Sigh.

Whitesox029
09-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Sigh...they should have turned it over to the Illini whiz kids :D:. In all seriousness, I don't understand how hard it could be to write a program that would make schedules, and I don't even do computer programming. Then again, maybe that's why I don't understand how hard it could be? I dunno, my high school had (and still does have) one of the math teachers make up student schedules, and that seems a lot more complicated than baseball team schedules. Leave it to Bud to make things harder than they should be.

Fenway
09-04-2007, 02:51 PM
They retired to Martha's Vineyard a few years ago but still wanted to do the schedule

http://www.mvtimes.com/images/news/2005/10/06/portrait2_bj.jpg
Putting the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle together is a snap for Holly and Henry Stephenson compared to scheduling 2,432 major league baseball games. Photo by Brian Jolley

It was someone in the commissioner's office who suggested that there was concern about too much dependency on the Stephensons. "Suppose you were hit by a bus!"

The task is to schedule 2,430 games in 26 weeks avoiding over-long road trips, semi-repeaters (when two teams play back to back series in each other's park) and more than 20 games without a day off (a players' union rule.) Competing games are to be avoided in places where teams share the same market such as Chicago with the Cubs and White Sox, New York with the Yankees and Mets, or San Francisco/Oakland with the Giants and A's.

"Computers can do about 80% of the work," Henry said, and that's a big help, but finally you have to work it out the old fashioned way.

http://www.mvtimes.com/news/2005/10/06/sports.php

robertks61
09-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Sounds like the Bank of America scheduling program.

JorgeFabregas
09-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Henry Stephenson is a dead ringer for Chuck Low of Goodfellas' fame.

downstairs
09-04-2007, 03:32 PM
The schedule from 2007 was almost the exact same as that of 2006. I expect the same with 07 to 08. So how hard could it be?

Law11
09-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Henry Stephenson is a dead ringer for Chuck Low of Goodfellas' fame.

"Henry I want my Money!"

getonbckthr
09-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Here is a problem. Will the computers realize common sense stuff like on a 9 game road trip for the Sox where we play say Oakland, Seattle and Boston: will it have us go from west coast back to the east then back west?
And how can video games have random schedules but MLB can't?

skobabe8
09-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Good Goodfellas call!

itsnotrequired
09-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Here is a problem. Will the computers realize common sense stuff like on a 9 game road trip for the Sox where we play say Oakland, Seattle and Boston: will it have us go from west coast back to the east then back west?

Those are the intricacies that must be put into the program. As well as all the other rules such as consecutive games in a row, day game following night in different city, Cubs-Sox (and Yankees-Mets, Giants-Athletics, etc.) not at home at same time, etc.

The program is undoubtedly very complex due to all the variables involved.

SBSoxFan
09-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Those are the intricacies that must be put into the program. As well as all the other rules such as consecutive games in a row, day game following night in different city, Cubs-Sox (and Yankees-Mets, Giants-Athletics, etc.) not at home at same time, etc.

The program is undoubtedly very complex due to all the variables involved.

No doubt it is very complex. It should also be able to perform some type of optimization such as minimum distance traveled or some such. A computer should also be able to do ALL (not 80%) of that a lot better than 2 people. Sounds like it's time for some new programmers.

DumpJerry
09-04-2007, 04:30 PM
One of the guys in my office and I are writing a letter to Bud letting him know we'll do it. We figure it will take about 5 hours, a case of beer and a bunch of Led Zepplin CD's, but we'll get the job done. He's a Cub fan, so we can make sure both of our teams get favorable scheduling. We will charge $250,000 for the effort.

Also, we will not schedule any games in outdoor stadiums in the Snow Belt before April 15th. *cough* Cleveland *cough*

ESPN won't be happy with us, all Yankee/Red Sox match ups are Tuesday-Thursday.

Fenway
09-04-2007, 04:34 PM
One of the guys in my office and I are writing a letter to Bud letting him know we'll do it. We figure it will take about 5 hours, a case of beer and a bunch of Led Zepplin CD's, but we'll get the job done. He's a Cub fan, so we can make sure both of our teams get favorable scheduling. We will charge $250,000 for the effort.

If you write it here instead of New York Bud will reply personally
I have several letters from him and they are not forms

Baseball Commissioner Office

777 E Wisconsin Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53202

(414) 225-8900

CanBuehrleWait
09-05-2007, 12:37 AM

Also, we will not schedule any games in outdoor stadiums in the Snow Belt before April 15th. *cough* Cleveland *cough*

ESPN won't be happy with us, all Yankee/Red Sox match ups are Tuesday-Thursday.

:thumbsup: