PDA

View Full Version : Anybody for DeJesus?

ohiosoxfan
09-04-2007, 01:29 PM
I just read where supposedly Torii Hunter turned down a 3 year/45 million deal with the Twinkies. Speculation is that he wants at least 5/75 and maybe more. Assuming that would be too rich for the Sox, and that some people here don't want A. Rowand back; how about David DeJesus? The Royals seem to be sold on Gathright and he may be available. This year he is at about .270 but has been close to .300 most years. Average speed, pretty good outfielder. Not necessarily sold on the idea, just wanted to throw it out for some conversation on the subject.

Domeshot17
09-04-2007, 01:37 PM
I just read where supposedly Torii Hunter turned down a 3 year/45 million deal with the Twinkies. Speculation is that he wants at least 5/75 and maybe more. Assuming that would be too rich for the Sox, and that some people here don't want A. Rowand back; how about David DeJesus? The Royals seem to be sold on Gathright and he may be available. This year he is at about .270 but has been close to .300 most years. Average speed, pretty good outfielder. Not necessarily sold on the idea, just wanted to throw it out for some conversation on the subject.

Whats the score dude?

And I think if we go into 2008 with Dejesus as our CF, we will not be a good team.

WhiteSox5187
09-04-2007, 02:13 PM
I don't think picking up guys who the Royals have tossed to the side is the way to go.

09-04-2007, 02:39 PM
It could be worse. Like having Jerry Owens.

oeo
09-04-2007, 03:13 PM
And I think if we go into 2008 with Dejesus as our CF, we will not be a good team.

Why is that? He's having an off year this year, but even that is better than what we've got at almost every position.

I wouldn't mind him roaming CF for us next year...I don't think the Royals would trade him, though. Just because he's on the Royals, doesn't mean he sucks ass.

Zisk77
09-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Much rather have Owens. he has a much bigger upside and can STEAL BASES. Dejesus is not fast, average hitter, no power, and no arm. NEXT!

oeo
09-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Much rather have Owens. he has a much bigger upside and can STEAL BASES. Dejesus is not fast, average hitter, no power, and no arm. NEXT!

Jerry Owens doesn't walk, can't even hit like DeJesus can...also has zero power (at least DeJesus can hit some out of the yard...Owens has admitted that all of his 3 career homeruns were accidents), no arm, and might have the weakest looking swing I have ever seen. DeJesus is and always will be > Jerry Owens. Owens gives you one thing, and one thing only: speed. What good is speed when you can't get on base?

Domeshot17
09-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Jerry Owens doesn't walk, can't even hit like DeJesus can...also has no power and no arm. DeJesus is and always will be > Jerry Owens.

I agree with you there. My thing is this:

Next year we look to have Fields in left and Dye in right. Dejesus in CF isn't going to help defensively because he doesn't cover the ground to make up for 2 average corner OF defensively. He doesn't have a big arm which is alright because Dye and Fields both have above average arms. The kicker is Dejesus isn't really a lead off man compared to a 7 or 8 hitter. If you can find a 2b or SS who can lead off, then its not a bad option depending on the price. Thats why I say we will have problems if we have Dejesus next year, unless Fields moves back to 3rd and we get a lead off man in LF.

chaerulez
09-04-2007, 03:34 PM
DeJesus with a .360 career OBP wouldn't be a bad leadoff guy. His power isn't that good, but if we had a team with power in the other positions, it would be fine. He's better than Owens, but I don't think the Royals are going to just give him away.

UserNameBlank
09-04-2007, 03:38 PM
DeJesus would be a great #2 hitter but he doesn't have the speed that Ozzie would want out of a leadoff man. That said, DeJesus is probably one of the two Royals least likely to get traded here. There's no way KC is giving him up for scraps and there's no way we're going to pay out the ass for a #2 hitter. DD is a pretty underrated player and it wouldn't make sense for on-the-upswing KC to dump him for what we'd be willing to give up. Oh, and Gathright flat out sucks. Owens is better and Owens is a 4th OF largely because he can't walk.

McCuddy
09-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Damn... I saw this in "What's the Score" and thought we were talking about an Ivan DeJesus comeback...

Jurr
09-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Hey...you said it man, noone ****s with DeJesus.
Lebowski....what a piece of American theatrical genius.

rowand33
09-04-2007, 05:31 PM
DeJesus is a good ballplayer.

career .289/.360/.419 line. has a .355 OBP even on an off year when batting .269. He can play all 3 OF positions.

And he drives in about 60 runs a year ON THE ROYALS.

I'd rather have Rowand or Hunter, but DeJesus would be a definate upgrade over what we have now.

Ideally, he'd bat second, but he's spent most of his career at the leadoff spot to the tune of a .292/.364/.430 line in over 1500 AB.

Not seeing the problem here... We'd still need to upgrade at other positions, but he'd be a fine addition to any ballclub.

Tragg
09-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Much rather have Owens. he has a much bigger upside and can STEAL BASES.
I agree that we don't need to trade for mediocre ballplayers.

But where's the upside you see in Owens. He is fast, but he has no power at all and he seems to not walk much. Where do you see him improving?

areilly
09-04-2007, 11:38 PM

My inner cynic says that no matter what, the Sox won't go into 2008 as a good team.

lakeviewsoxfan
09-04-2007, 11:38 PM
http://www.bowlings-toulouse.com/Ligue/icones/jesus.bmp

No Thanks.

santo=dorf
09-05-2007, 06:31 AM
Well Jerry Owens is a much worse hitter, a much weaker hitter, and has an arm worse than Podsednik. There's no amount of speed in the world that can make up for that difference yet alone make him have a higher upside than Dejesus.

Frater Perdurabo
09-05-2007, 07:16 AM
I've decided that I can live with any individual player - even if they are average or mediocre - if having that player allows the Sox to make upgrades elsewhere.

Therefore, I don't have a problem with DeJesus. He's definitely not THE solution, but he could be one PART of a solution.

Zisk77
09-12-2007, 03:52 PM
jerry is a ROOKIE. We don't know if he can or cannot be a good hitter yet. while he may never develop power, who cares? He's a leadoff hitter. get hits, take walks, bunt for hits sac, and steal bases. His Upside: he could become a .300 hitter and steal a ton of bases. Thats a big upside. Dejesus is what he is...an average player. He may be better than Jerry now. But he really doesn't give us much where Jerry MIGHT...or he could be Thad Bosely:(:. I'd rather find out what jerry can develop into or actually get someone who could help us e.g. Carl Crawford or Torrii Hunter.

chisoxmike
09-12-2007, 03:56 PM
There's no amount of speed in the world that can make up for that difference yet alone make him have a higher upside than Dejesus.

For some reason, there is a small, but loud group of Sox fans that want a roster of marathon runners. Nevermind if they can't hit or field, if they can run fast...SIGN THAT MAN!

Domeshot17
09-12-2007, 04:07 PM
The WSI community would rather says YES to: Jerry Owens, Brian Anderson, Uribe,

They say no to: Arod-Manny-Torri-Rowand etc.

The want to trade Konerko and his consistent 275-35-100-90 for Rafeal Furcal because he is fast.

People have to get a clue at some point. Jerry Owens is not starting OF for a good team let a lone a playoff bound team. I dont care how fast he is, if he cant get on base at ATLEAST (and this isnt even hard) a .335 clip, he is WORTHLESS, 100000%.

spiffie
09-12-2007, 04:09 PM
The WSI community would rather says YES to: Jerry Owens, Brian Anderson, Uribe,

They say no to: Arod-Manny-Torri-Rowand etc.

The want to trade Konerko and his consistent 275-35-100-90 for Rafeal Furcal because he is fast.

People have to get a clue at some point. Jerry Owens is not starting OF for a good team let a lone a playoff bound team. I dont care how fast he is, if he cant get on base at ATLEAST (and this isnt even hard) a .335 clip, he is WORTHLESS, 100000%.
Don't you know Rowand isn't even a MLB caliber outfielder? WSI told me so. I am surprised he made it past A ball.

soxfan13
09-13-2007, 10:43 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/451531823_a370f29238.jpg?v=0

Looks like he is still in pretty good shape but can he play the outfield?:tongue:

Zisk77
09-13-2007, 02:30 PM
For some reason, there is a small, but loud group of Sox fans that want a roster of marathon runners. Nevermind if they can't hit or field, if they can run fast...SIGN THAT MAN!

Marathon runners aren't fast they have stamina. sprinters are fast.

It amazes me how many of you experts know Owens can't hit. He hasn't even played a full year yet. What did Ventura, Crede, and Lance Johnson (maybe the most appropriate analogy) hit their rookie year? Hell, Owens hasn't even finished filling out physically yet. The fact is we don't know enough about him to state whether can or can't hit.
What we do know is that he can run like a deer and has the makings of a good defensive OF. if he learns how do bunt and gets a little stronger (for bat speed so he isn't overpowered by good FB so often) he can turn out to be a good hitter.

soxfan13
09-13-2007, 02:39 PM

It amazes me how many of you experts know Owens can't hit. He hasn't even played a full year yet. What did Ventura, Crede, and Lance Johnson (maybe the most appropriate analogy) hit their rookie year? Hell, Owens hasn't even finished filling out physically yet. The fact is we don't know enough about him to state whether can or can't hit.
What we do know is that he can run like a deer and has the makings of a good defensive OF. if he learns how do bunt and gets a little stronger (for bat speed so he isn't overpowered by good FB so often) he can turn out to be a good hitter.

I dont know but I think you are pretty much done filling out by the age of 26. Yes he can run like a deer as you say and has the makings of decent defensive outfielder if you dont have to throw but sorry his bat looks very weak. I hope he can turn it around but being the "expert" I am, we need a major upgrade in CF.

SBSoxFan
09-13-2007, 03:30 PM
I dont know but I think you are pretty much done filling out by the age of 26. Yes he can run like a deer as you say and has the makings of decent defensive outfielder if you dont have to throw but sorry his bat looks very weak. I hope he can turn it around but being the "expert" I am, we need a major upgrade in CF.

I disagree. If his workout routine changes, he should be able to add a significant amount of muscle. I don't know how much it might affect his speed, however. I do agree though, that Owens seems best suited for LF. I'd love it if he could turn into a young Pods.

GregO23
09-13-2007, 03:42 PM
DeJesus is on the verge of getting 100 runs this season on the royals. He has 97 already! I would take 110 Runs, 65 RBIs, .365 OBP, and 10 HRs from a guy in the leadoff spot. He isnt the greatest fielder, but he is above average! And this is on an OFF YEAR? Please how can someone not want him? :redneck

chisoxmike
09-13-2007, 03:49 PM

Ugh. You know what I meant.

Domeshot17
09-13-2007, 04:03 PM

Isnt that true for everyone in the mlb. If they get bigger, stronger, better hand eye coordination, faster, bunt better, throw harder they will be better ball players?

JERRY OWENS IS 26 YEARS OLD. HE ISNT A RYAN SWEENEY OR EVEN BRIAN ANDERSON IN HIS EARLY 20's. What you see is what you get from Owens. Hes an athlete, not a ball player. He exels in running, diving etc. but when it comes to being a baseball player he struggles with hitting and fundamentals of hitting (including patience).

And yah sorry, we don't have room on the team for 2 guys who are fast and cant drive in runs, so unless he is leading off, he shouldnt be in a starting lineup. Maybe as a 4th OF, maybe. But any team that expects to compete and win can't let Owens stuggle for 2 or 3 years to develop (at the age of 28-30) in the lead off hole.

soxfan13
09-14-2007, 09:54 AM
I disagree. If his workout routine changes, he should be able to add a significant amount of muscle. I don't know how much it might affect his speed, however. I do agree though, that Owens seems best suited for LF. I'd love it if he could turn into a young Pods.

I agree yes you can work out and add muscle but the post I was refering to made it sound like he was still a growing boy :tongue:

Zisk77
09-14-2007, 03:11 PM
How long has Jerry been playing just baseball? Remember he was a wideout at UCLA. I'm all for upgrading in Center. Get me Crawford (I know currently a LF But he could play CF), Hunter, Rowand, Cameron, etc. but DeJesus is not what we need.

Flight #24
09-14-2007, 11:53 PM
http://content9.flixster.com/photo/32/96/63/3296631_gal.jpg

Don't **** with De Jesus