PDA

View Full Version : Guillen

Cubbiesuck13
04-09-2002, 01:15 AM
My favorite baseball player of all time was on sportscenter. did you guys catch it. he took over after torborg(one of my favorite managers all time, behind lasorda) got tossed. He had his own words to say. He is on his way to a manager. I cannot wait.

RedPinStripes
04-09-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
My favorite baseball player of all time was on sportscenter. did you guys catch it. he took over after torborg(one of my favorite managers all time, behind lasorda) got tossed. He had his own words to say. He is on his way to a manager. I cannot wait.

O Jeeeezzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!! ozzie as a manager. *****! He's a nut! I think he would keep a loose clubhouse, but i would be very interested in seeing how he manages. He is the type of guy JR would hire. Someone with no time in as a manager. I don't think Ozzie would kiss his ass though. That would end that idea.

RichH55
04-09-2002, 04:51 AM
I honestly don't see Ozzie as a manager...or at least not as a successful one....sorry

Cubbiesuck13
04-09-2002, 10:10 AM
he is training for it, it appears. Coaching third, taking over after torborg got tossed. I see him coaching in 5. i think he would be a decent coach, a lot of fun to watch iether way.

baggio202
04-09-2002, 11:29 AM
he is training for it, it appears. Coaching third, taking over after torborg got tossed. I see him coaching in 5. i think he would be a decent coach, a lot of fun to watch iether way.

couldnt be any worse than bevington..or garner :D:

NUCatsFan
04-09-2002, 11:41 AM

Oh man, Ozzie was getting PISSED! I loved it. :)

As for the game itself, which was worse? Blowing the original call? Or reversing it after an ump conference?

voodoochile
04-09-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan

Oh man, Ozzie was getting PISSED! I loved it. :)

As for the game itself, which was worse? Blowing the original call? Or reversing it after an ump conference?

I didn't see the game in question, but as long as the umps get it right that is all that matters to me. I like it when they ask the other umps what they saw and whether they should change the call. It's the only review baseball allows, and I wish more umps would take advantage of it on tough plays.

I assume they had already tossed Torberg when they reversed the call...

NUCatsFan
04-09-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I didn't see the game in question, but as long as the umps get it right that is all that matters to me. I like it when they ask the other umps what they saw and whether they should change the call. It's the only review baseball allows, and I wish more umps would take advantage of it on tough plays.

Here's the situation. MTL up 3-0. FLA player (don't remember the name) hits a 3 run home run to tie the game. The ball was quite obviously foul (doesn't seem like it should have been a questionable call). MTL manager comes out to argue. Umps conference and reverse the call to foul ball (the correct call). Torborg comes out to argue the reversal. Ump tosses him then. FLA player then comes back out to his AB, and promptly groundsout. Player was pissed and was yelling at the first base ump. This is when Ozzie got involved. Ozzie held back the player and argued with the ump himself.

RedPinStripes
04-09-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Yeah, torborg was tossed and I think he was so pissed because they over ruled it for frank robinson eventhough the ball was foul.

Cubbiesuck13
04-09-2002, 03:14 PM
the reason the florida player got pissed was because he had to wait to take his bat again. they argued, got together, argued the reversal and then the fans were throwing stuff, post poned the game for four minutes and then the guy grounds out. he slammed his helmet running to first, thought he was tossed, then argued, ozzie to the rescue, argued. player stayed in the game. whats the chances on the manager getting tossed, then his replacement getting tossed also.

NUCatsFan
04-09-2002, 04:31 PM
the reason the florida player got pissed was because he had to wait to take his bat again. they argued, got together, argued the reversal and then the fans were throwing stuff, post poned the game for four minutes and then the guy grounds out. he slammed his helmet running to first, thought he was tossed, then argued, ozzie to the rescue, argued. player stayed in the game. whats the chances on the manager getting tossed, then his replacement getting tossed also.

IIRC, I think the Sox have accomplished that relatively recently. Not sure about that, though.

voodoochile
04-09-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan

IIRC, I think the Sox have accomplished that relatively recently. Not sure about that, though.

I am pretty sure you are thinking of the Pedro game where both JM AND Von Joshua got tossed in June 2000. I don't think Nossak has ever been tossed after JM went to the showers...

BTW, how many times HAS JM been tossed in his career?