09-01-2007, 07:50 PM
into the 6th this kid thowing nasty stuff just called up today

Fenway
09-01-2007, 08:00 PM
into the 7th park buzzing

The Racehorse
09-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Beat me to it.

I figured if I did a thread-start, and the no-hitter falls thru, then you could always blame me for the jinx.

But now if someone gets a base knock off of Buchholtz, it's your fault. :D:

Fenway
09-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Beat me to it.

I figured if I did a thread-start, and the no-hitter falls thru, then you could always blame me for the jinx.

But now if someone gets a base knock off of Buchholtz, it's your fault. :D:

Boston annoucers have only said it 4249 times. Welcome to the al Rocky I can see why Cubs got rid of him

KRS1
09-01-2007, 08:26 PM
WOW! What a play to keep it going!

Jjav829
09-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Great play by Pedroia to get Tejada!!

The Racehorse
09-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Boston annoucers have only said it 4249 times. Welcome to the al Rocky I can see why Cubs got rid of him

So Rem-dog already had it surrounded. :redneck

Nice place by Pedriora.... yeah, Rocky got rocked.

GoSox2K3
09-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Well, you see - the Red Sox have a weak farm system because their winning records always place them near the bottom of the draft.

Look at 2005 for example, the Red Sox were World Series champs and they paid the price for having such poor draft positions. While the White Sox drafted Lance Broadway - who is already succeeding in the majors, the BoSox had to go with Clay Buchholz - who has a pretty low ceiling and probably won't do much in the majors.

It's obvious that all those winning seasons have hurt the Red Sox farm system. They probably really need a nice 90-loss season to get them great draft picks one of these years.

The Racehorse
09-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Buchholtz has an awesome over-the-top curve... 2 down in the top of the 8th.

EDIT: just got Jay Payton on a comebacker... going into the 9th with a no -hitter!

KRS1
That curve is WICKED!

Isnt Bucholz someone's nephew here?

Jjav829
Another 1-2-3 in the 8th. The kid is dealing out there.

itsnotrequired
09-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Another 1-2-3 in the 8th. The kid is dealing out there.

And he himself makes a hell of a play to end it (or so the radio call would lead me to believe).

KRS1
09-01-2007, 08:51 PM
And he himself makes a hell of a play to end it (or so the radio call would lead me to believe).

It was a nice heads-up snag on a come-back bouncer.

KRS1
09-01-2007, 08:54 PM

Nevermind, it's Michael Bowden.

The Racehorse
09-01-2007, 08:55 PM
The Orioles will have the top of their lineup going in the 9th;

Roberts
Patterson
Markakis

spiffie
09-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Let the conspiracy theories commence, as ESPN is going to cover the 9th inning.

spiffie
09-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, you see - the Red Sox have a weak farm system because their winning records always place them near the bottom of the draft.

Look at 2005 for example, the Red Sox were World Series champs and they paid the price for having such poor draft positions. While the White Sox drafted Lance Broadway - who is already succeeding in the majors, the BoSox had to go with Clay Buchholz - who has a pretty low ceiling and probably won't do much in the majors.

It's obvious that all those winning seasons have hurt the Red Sox farm system. They probably really need a nice 90-loss season to get them great draft picks one of these years.
Just remember, anything that the White Sox don't get right is a crapshoot and no one can be blamed or held responsible since no one can call that sort of thing.

itsnotrequired
09-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Let the conspiracy theories commence, as ESPN is going to cover the 9th inning.

How is this a conspiracy?

spiffie
09-01-2007, 09:00 PM
How is this a conspiracy?
Conspiracy was the wrong word. East Coast bias, Red Sox favoritism, whatever the choice will be. Seems inevitable.

itsnotrequired
09-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Conspiracy was the wrong word. East Coast bias, Red Sox favoritism, whatever the choice will be. Seems inevitable.

No-hitter possibility? ESPN broke in for Buehrle's.

Hitmen77
09-01-2007, 09:04 PM
No-hitter possibility? ESPN broke in for Buehrle's.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they did not.

oeo
09-01-2007, 09:06 PM

It was also the last day of the NBA regular season, with playoff implications. They gave Buehrle his due on SportsCenter and BBTN.

spiffie
09-01-2007, 09:09 PM
showing it live now.

The Racehorse
09-01-2007, 09:10 PM
ESPN is showing it.

KRS1
No-no!!

spiffie
Gets it on a wicked curveball.

Viva Medias B's
Third no-hitter of the season.

Jjav829
09-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Aww man, a nasty curve to end the no-hitter!! :bandance:

Congrats to Clay Buchholz! Awesome pitching performance in only his second career start. :gulp:

jdm2662
And it's offical. Congrats Clay on your no-hitter!

The Racehorse
It was also the last day of the NBA regular season, with playoff implications. They gave Buehrle his due on SportsCenter and BBTN.

Too me, that doesn't cut the mustard.

spiffie
09-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Damn that was a nasty pitch to end it.

Kind of depressing that he basically just outperformed all 300 rookies we've called up this year. But regardless...the kid looks like he has some wicked pitches to call on.

Jjav829
09-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Leave the kid alone. He just finished off a no-hitter two minutes ago. Let him go celebrate and stop with the stupid questions.

itsnotrequired
09-01-2007, 09:14 PM

Eh, I was at the Buehrle game so I don't really know.

:D:

getonbckthr
09-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Congrats Clay Wish we woulda got you for JD.

SoxSpeed22
09-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Good for Buchholtz. It's clear why KW wanted him if he did trade Buehrle, guy's got nasty stuff.
Good thing for that Mountaineers upset, otherwise we would never hear the end of this.

spiffie
09-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Congrats Clay Wish we woulda got you for JD.
Theo's advance scouts told him not to make the trade :wink:

itsnotrequired
09-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Good for Buchholtz. It's clear why KW wanted him if he did trade Buehrle, guy's got nasty stuff.
Good thing for that Mountaineers upset, otherwise we would never hear the end of it.

I would have traded Buehrle for Bucholtz in a heartbeat.

chisoxfanatic
09-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Eh, I was at the Buehrle game so I don't really know.

:D:
So was I. That was before all of the junk that has happened this season. If only we could re-write what has happened since...

Congrats to Buckholtz personally; but, I am in no way happy for Red Sox fans. This couldn't have happened to a better fanbase.

FloridaTigers
09-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Ugh.

Last thing we baseball fans needed right now: Another reason for "Red Sox Nation" to brag and wag their cocks around, thinking they rule the baseball universe.

Atleast OUR teams have thrown no hitters. That might be the only thing us Tigers and ChiSox fans have in common. :cool:

chisoxfanatic
09-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Ugh.

Last thing we baseball fans needed right now: Another reason for "Red Sox Nation" to brag and wag their cocks around, thinking they rule the baseball universe.

Atleast OUR teams have thrown no hitters. That might be the only thing us Tigers and ChiSox fans have in common. :cool:
Buehrle's was unarguably the best of the three. He faced the minimum amount of batters, shutting down that same team that put up 39 runs in a double-header.

thomas35forever
09-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Throwing a no-no in only your second big league start is quite an accomplishment. Congrats Clay on placing your name in the record books so early.

FloridaTigers
09-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Buehrle's was unarguably the best of the three. He faced the minimum amount of batters, shutting down that same team that put up 39 runs in a double-header.

Buerhle's was very very dominant. I'm just still excited from that ninth inning of Verlander's. We all knew he could throw 100, but to see 100 in the 9th is pretty crazy.

I don't like to judge which no-no was better. Its just something special each fanbase can look back on and remember. 2007 might not be a good season for the Sox, but you'll always have the no-hitter. No matter what happens to the Tigers, there always that no-no to look on.

Daver
09-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Throwing a no-no in only your second big league start is quite an accomplishment. Congrats Clay on placing your name in the record books so early.

Wilson Alvarez did it in his first MLB start.

SaltyPretzel
09-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Wilson Alvarez did it in his first MLB start.

I think it was his first White Sox start.

Fenway
09-01-2007, 09:53 PM
I think it was his first White Sox start.

Elias saying Wilson's was MLB start 2. Only one has done it in first start.

Lip Man 1
09-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Alvarez started a game while he was with Texas and didn't make it out of the first inning.

Lip

voodoochile
09-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Okay this thread was started by a Boston fan.

Let this be the end of anyone ever talking about jinxing a no hitter ever again.

The reasons no hitters end after people mention them is because the odds are very high that they won't actually complete the no hitter, not because someone somewhere in the universe mentioned it.

Congrats, Fenway. Must have been fun to watch.

Fenway
09-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Okay this thread was started by a Boston fan.

Let this be the end of anyone ever talking about jinxing a no hitter ever again.

The reasons no hitters end after people mention them is because the odds are very high that they won't actually complete the no hitter, not because someone somewhere in the universe mentioned it.

Congrats, Fenway. Must have been fun to watch.

Finally saw one live. I was working a Bruins game whem Lowe did it in 2002.I had 2 close ones, Mussina lost a perfect game with 2 outs in the 9th and Lonberg in the 67 Series. Theo said he ordered Francona to take him out at 120 pitches no matter what.

StillMissOzzie
09-02-2007, 01:04 AM
That curve is WICKED!

Nevermind, it's Michael Bowden.

:nod:, that would be MY nephew, and he's still at AA Portland.

Boston got a boatload of draft picks for all the free agents they lost after the 2004 season.

Congrats to Buchholz and the rest of your boys, Fenway. It must have been great to see one live. Buehrle tossed his on my bowling night, I didn't even see it on TV! :(::angry:

SMO
:gulp:

SMO

Fenway
09-02-2007, 01:27 AM
It was a thrill as I had the night off and was there with my 15 year old son. There would have been a riot if they took him out at 120 pitches. He was at 115.

itsnotrequired
09-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Elias saying Wilson's was MLB start 2. Only one has done it in first start.

Correct. He made his first career start for Texas back in 1989. 3 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 HR, 0 K.

His first start with the Sox in 1991 was when he threw his no-no (and the second start of his MLB career). He was 21 at the time.

soxtalker
09-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Finally saw one live. I was working a Bruins game whem Lowe did it in 2002.I had 2 close ones, Mussina lost a perfect game with 2 outs in the 9th and Lonberg in the 67 Series. Theo said he ordered Francona to take him out at 120 pitches no matter what.

Why would Theo have done that? Is there some statistic that indicates that damage goes up dramatically at 120 pitches?

Fenway
09-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Why would Theo have done that? Is there some statistic that indicates that damage goes up dramatically at 120 pitches?

Maybe. Theo said he had never thrown more than 98 and a career is more important than a single game. We didn't know it but that was his last batter.

GoSox2K3
09-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Boston got a boatload of draft picks for all the free agents they lost after the 2004 season.

SMO

Which makes it even more questionnable why the Sox let a Type-A free agent (David Riske) go last winter without getting any picks in return because they failed to offer him arbitration.

It's not like Riske would have gotten a huge contract if he took up the Sox offer - and they still could have traded him in that scenario if I'm not mistaken.

chaerulez
09-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Which makes it even more questionnable why the Sox let a Type-A free agent (David Riske) go last winter without getting any picks in return because they failed to offer him arbitration.

It's not like Riske would have gotten a huge contract if he took up the Sox offer - and they still could have traded him in that scenario if I'm not mistaken.

I think there was another player he declined to offer arbitration and we lost two picks that would've been in between round 1 and 2.

The Racehorse
09-02-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm happy for the Buchholtz kid, his hook is nasty, but if Markakis was going to go down, I wanted him to go down swinging.

Nick Markakis is going to be a force in the AL. I wish the Sox had him in the OF.

Fenway
09-02-2007, 12:44 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070902/capt.8e559a82dc684a64b0dbc84df8fee12f.orioles_red_ sox_baseball_bxf113.jpg

This is what you dream about growing up.

This is what you dream about when you are a little boy in Texas. You dream about making it all the way to the majors. And as you throw a tennis ball at your back porch steps, maybe you narrate the play-by-play and maybe you say, "Two outs in the ninth, all zeros across the board, Buchholz kicks and throws and it's called strike three! A no-hitter for Clay Buchholz!"

His dad had been at Fenway Aug. 17 when he made his big league debut against the Angels. That was the game Buchholz pitched knowing he was going back to the minors after completing the assignment.

Red Sox manager Terry Francona had gone so far as to say, "Doesn't matter if he throws a no-hitter, he's going back down."
It seemed funny at the time.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/09/02/in_2d_start_buchholz_throws_a_no_hitter/?page=full

oeo
09-02-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm happy for the Buchholtz kid, his hook is nasty, but if Markakis was going to go down, I wanted him to go down swinging.

Nick Markakis is going to be a force in the AL. I wish the Sox had him in the OF.

Did you see that pitch? It buckled him...not many guys are going to swing at that.

The Racehorse
09-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Did you see that pitch? It buckled him...not many guys are going to swing at that.

Yeah, I saw it. It was a filthy pitch and it definitely [and obviously] was CB's night.

WizardsofOzzie
09-02-2007, 01:24 PM
That's so not true. Buehrle's no hitter didn't count because he had alot of defensive help

whitesoxfan
09-02-2007, 03:09 PM

No, they didn't. I remember I was down here at SIU and the game was on CSN, so I was switching through all of the ESPN's to see if they would have coverage of Buehrle's potential no-hit bid in the 9th. They had basketball on ESPN, some garbage on ESPN2, and then they talked to Levine on ESPNEWS during the 9th, but did not provide any video. They said that they were "prohibited by MLB" from showing any video of the no-hit bid during the game.

Uh, ok ESPN. Whatever you say. I remember when Zambrano had a no-hit bid against the Astros last year that they broke in and showed the game in the 8th inning. And then of course, they show Buccholtz's no-hit bid yesterday. Spin it any way you want it, but I think it's complete BS.

Anyway, congrats to Buccholtz. I'm not the biggest Red Sox fan in the world, but I always think it's real cool to see a rookie throw a no-no. Truly remarkable stuff.