PDA

View Full Version : Gammons disses us again

beausox
04-08-2002, 06:17 PM
I don't have the address, but over at ESPN.com in his latest mail bag, Gammons lists Comiskey Park in a 5 way tie for his least favorite ball park. Now I happen to like Comiskey( I know its no THE greatest), I haven't seen the new renovations yet, but all I have to say is that at least at Comiskey you don't have to pee in a trough. Also, big surprise, Fenway is Gammons' favorite ballpark.

RedPinStripes
04-08-2002, 06:24 PM
Also, big surprise, Fenway is Gammons' favorite ballpark.

HA! That's odd.

Crestani
04-08-2002, 06:26 PM
Maybe Gammons is confusing the stadium for the Team?
Seriously, Take off the upper deck and Comisky becomes a very friendly kozy baseball stadium.

FarWestChicago
04-08-2002, 06:28 PM
Welcome to WSI, Jim C! :gulp:

Chisox_cali
04-08-2002, 07:18 PM
Another Southern Left Coaster! Are numbers are growing. :smile:

duke of dorwood
04-08-2002, 07:23 PM
I try not to let anything that nerd says bug me, but I like our park. It's a Baseball park- it has great sightlines. I always enjoy it there. He is such an ass. It's OUR park.

CerberusWG
04-08-2002, 07:25 PM
I could care less how our Ballpark looks. I go to Comiskey for three things:

Fans
Food
and most importantly THE GAME

HawkDJ
04-08-2002, 07:54 PM
Comiskey is a very underrated ballpark. I know its not the greatest, but it is not as bad as it is made out to be. I like the little walkway in center field where you can just hang out and watch the pitchers warm up. Now with the new renovations I think it should be even better. Plus you have to love padded seats and taffy apples in club level!

Miller Park is definitly the best ballpark I've been to, but I haven't been to many.

GASHWOUND
04-08-2002, 09:17 PM
I wonder if 'Boston' has even been to Comiskey, not counting the press box or whatever. I mean just walked around the park, or sat anywhere in the lowerdeck or bleachers and watched a game. Comiskey is not a bad park, I don't care what any media person says about it.

RedPinStripes
04-08-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
I wonder if 'Boston' has even been to Comiskey, not counting the press box or whatever. I mean just walked around the park, or sat anywhere in the lowerdeck or bleachers and watched a game. Comiskey is not a bad park, I don't care what any media person says about it.

Lower deck is the best I've seen and will get better now that the brick wall is gone in cf. I NEVER sit in the upper seck unless i have to. I usually get a lower deck reserve and hang out at the top of the section around home plate or find a deat by someone i know.

bradp
04-08-2002, 10:42 PM
In defense of the upper deck:

I am not a fan of the new Comiskey. BUT every time I sit in the upper deck behind home plate, I thank God that I'm not twisting myself in a pretzel to see the whole game around the post, under the overhang, before the ball gets to the part of the park where I can't see anything. I'm still working the kinks out of my neck from some of those games.

And after having paid a mint to sit in the "intimate" Camden Yards outfield upperdeck, I'll keep Comiskey. The only thing different in these other new parks is smaller upper decks; they're just as far away as New Comiskey.

CubKilla
04-08-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
I could care less how our Ballpark looks. I go to Comiskey for three things:

Fans
Food
and most importantly THE GAME

I couldn't agree more.

As for the ballpark itself..... I do not like it. Say what you will about great sightlines, no obstuctions, etc. You still have a sterile ballpark with absolutely no personality. The only thing in New Comiskey similar to Old Comiskey is the exploding scoreboard..... and the old scoreboard was much better than the one that is there now. New Comiskey lacks character..... and lacks identity.

RedPinStripes
04-09-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow

I couldn't agree more.

As for the ballpark itself..... I do not like it. Say what you will about great sightlines, no obstuctions, etc. You still have a sterile ballpark with absolutely no personality. The only thing in New Comiskey similar to Old Comiskey is the exploding scoreboard..... and the old scoreboard was much better than the one that is there now. New Comiskey lacks character..... and lacks identity.

It has identity. It is the 90's version of Yankee Stadium. Thanks JERRY!

FarmerAndy
04-09-2002, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't bash Gammons just because he doesn't like Comiskey. I mean, it's not a rare opinion among baseball people. (Besides, aren't there better reasons to bash Gammons?)

I can't blame him for picking Fenway as his favorite park either. Of all the parks I've been to, Fenway is by far my favorite. I don't mind Comiskey. It's my home ballpark and I've grown used to it. It's clean, comfortable, has great sightlines, and is home to the White Sox. I can understand, though, that there is really nothing attractive about it if you're not a Sox fan. Fenway, on the other hand, is a great classic park. It's everything that Cub fans falsely believe that Wrigley is.

moochpuppy
04-09-2002, 12:22 PM
Who's this Gammons character?

Cheryl
04-09-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by bradp
In defense of the upper deck:

The only thing different in these other new parks is smaller upper decks; they're just as far away as New Comiskey.

I have to disagree, though only slightly.

It's the the height of the upper deck that is the problem. It's how far back it starts. The highest I've ever sat in any ballpark was about halfway up the UD at Skydome. That's really high, probably as high at the upper reachers at CPII. BUT, the upper levels at Skydome are directly over the lower deck, so even up there you are right over the field. After I got over the extreme height, they're really cool seats.

Did you know there are $4 seats in Skydome that are behind the light standards? That's $4 Canadian! Those are some truly obstructed seats.

harwar
04-09-2002, 12:39 PM
boston gammons is a biased moron and is only good to watch on baseball tonight when hes' talkin about his beloved red sox.Because when he does,he gets all lathered up and starts spitting all over,especially when talking about pedro or nomar.

Mathew
04-09-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

I have to disagree, though only slightly.

It's the the height of the upper deck that is the problem. It's how far back it starts. The highest I've ever sat in any ballpark was about halfway up the UD at Skydome. That's really high, probably as high at the upper reachers at CPII. BUT, the upper levels at Skydome are directly over the lower deck, so even up there you are right over the field. After I got over the extreme height, they're really cool seats.

Did you know there are $4 seats in Skydome that are behind the light standards? That's $4 Canadian! Those are some truly obstructed seats.

Skydome looks really stupid when 14000 people show up for a games that could seat 48000 or something, I went and saw Jarrod Washburn get rocked last year and then saw Mike "Sox Killer/Jays Killer Sweeny jack two out the next day and give my little brother a baseball, Sweeny was really good to us we were on top of the dugout, looking out the seas of empty seats feel like such a wasteland. I saw the Sox there the year it opened and it was Awesome, 40000+ GOIN' NUTS! Luckily I have good memories of The Big O in Montreal, it is a big concrete wasteland when empty too, but I went about 12 years ago and saw Fernando Valensuela pitch against "Oil Can" Boyd in a game Montreal won 2-1, the place was almost full and great.

Cheryl
04-09-2002, 03:40 PM
It was full enough the day I was there--about 4 years ago, and they were playing the Yankees, so lots and lots of out of town fans in that UD. Derek Jeter hit a foul straight up that was caught by some Yankee fan about 5 rows in front of me. I did some wandering around, and I'm glad we opted for upper deck seats, as the lower level seemed a bit confined.

Also, they closed the dome in the 7th inning. That was too cool to watch--the dome at Toronto doesn't make any noise at all.

dougs78
04-09-2002, 03:53 PM
I agree with you guys that Comiskey is not that bad. I've been to about half the parks in the majors and Comiskey is definitely NOT one of the worst. The seats are fine....the bleachers are great, and you have to love the bullpen sports bar!!!! (although I wish they would get plexiglass and not chainlink fence...)

The only problem i have with the park is that it feels like a warehouse with all the plain concrete. I am very anxious to see the new brick facades and redone ceilings in the lower deck. It it looks like I think it will...then I think it will go a long way towards solving that problem. There is plent of "character" with the hall of fame, gift shops, showers, etc. But it just needs to be a little more aesthetically pleasing to make you feel like you are walking in someones home.

Also, the ushers could be nicer. I was in Cleveland of all places last year and I was amazed by how friendly their ushers were.

Mathew
04-09-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
It was full enough the day I was there--about 4 years ago, and they were playing the Yankees, so lots and lots of out of town fans in that UD. Derek Jeter hit a foul straight up that was caught by some Yankee fan about 5 rows in front of me. I did some wandering around, and I'm glad we opted for upper deck seats, as the lower level seemed a bit confined.

Also, they closed the dome in the 7th inning. That was too cool to watch--the dome at Toronto doesn't make any noise at all.

I've watched one from that restaurant in the back too, that's not a bad deal either. I'm goona try to go in Sept. to catch the Sox, I'm driving so I haven't put out the idea of driving to Chicago,Detroit, or wherever on the way there and back.