PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie compares himself to Lou

thomas35forever
08-31-2007, 01:50 PM
This from today's Sun-Times:
"The manager eight miles from me [the Cubs' Lou Piniella] was mother****ing his players - 'I need good players' - and no one said ****," Guillen said. "I say we need to play better, and all of a sudden they say, 'Ozzie is a piece of ****.' Lou said, 'I need ****ing players, I bring in this guy, no one does the job,' and [the reaction is], 'Oh, Lou is tough, Lou is great.' I say anything close to what he says, and I'm the bad guy, I'm the (bleep)."
He's basically right.

Tragg
08-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Ozzie- such a victim.

The Immigrant
08-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Man, he really needs to shut his trap. This is beyond pathetic.

Foulke You
08-31-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't see anything wrong with what Ozzie said. He is basically pointing out how the media treats him and Lou differently. He would be right.

oeo
08-31-2007, 03:01 PM

What's pathetic about it? It's the truth.

I'll take it even further and say that Lou can do no wrong in this city. If Ozzie farts, that's a story, though.

drewcifer
08-31-2007, 03:05 PM

Definitely don't agree with you.

The Racehorse
08-31-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm glad Ozzie is taking on the media... though Ozzie has to know that it's trying to shovel **** against the tide.

jenn2080
08-31-2007, 03:12 PM
This from today's Sun-Times:

He's basically right.

Once again so long over due. Nicely said though Ozzie

VenturaFan23
08-31-2007, 03:12 PM
He's basically right.

He is. Ozzie finally vents his frustration with this team and 'you know who' is right there to pounce on him. It's beyond pathetic and predictable.

The Immigrant
08-31-2007, 03:19 PM
I'll take it even further and say that Lou can do no wrong in this city. If Ozzie farts, that's a story, though.

If the Cubs were 20 games below .500 there would be plenty of criticism for Lou, just as there was for Dusty during his last couple of seasons.

soxinem1
08-31-2007, 03:37 PM

I do think Ozzie ought to shut up about this kind of stuff as well, but he is right in this instance.

But the difference between Lou and Ozzie is that Lou will give his rookies a bonified chance to prove themselves. Look how different the team is from the one they opened the season with. Ozzie will ram a struggling vet down our throats while Lou will have no problem juggling his line up and pitching staff until someone gets it right, regardless of how much MLB time they have, or how much they get paid.

munchman33
08-31-2007, 03:45 PM
If the Cubs were 20 games below .500 there would be plenty of criticism for Lou, just as there was for Dusty during his last couple of seasons.

The Cubs were pretty bad when Lou was saying those things. You couldn't be more completely wrong about this.

LITTLE NELL
08-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Double standard media at work again.

TDog
08-31-2007, 04:33 PM

Is this supposed to be in teal? Thinking what Guillen said is pathetic seems to me more pathetic than what Guillen said.

People take the things Guillen says too seriously anyway.

SOXPHILE
08-31-2007, 04:36 PM
I would say that when a team is winning (or playing .500 ball and clinging to 1st in an incredibly godawful division, like the Cubs are), then the manager can get away with more, than if a team is losing, like Ozzie and the Sox are.

The problem I have is that Lou was indeed saying stuff like "get me players who can play !" and "WELL WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK IS GOING WRONG !?" - in April and May, when the Cubs were under .500, and the media were complimenting his "fire", and that things weren't going to be laid back anymore now that Johhny Baker is gone. Pair that with how in 2005, with the Sox tearing up the league on their way to a WS Championship, Ozzie was going off sometimes like this, but the media crucified him.

Sorry guys, Ozzie's right.

The Immigrant
08-31-2007, 04:51 PM
But the difference between Lou and Ozzie is that Lou will give his rookies a bonified chance to prove themselves. Look how different the team is from the one they opened the season with.

Lou also didn't try to put whipped cream on **** and tell the fans it is chocolate cake. He realized early on that he had a bad team on his hands and he wanted certain changes made. He put his GM on the spot to make the moves he wanted, and in the process he turned what looked like another putrid Cubs team into a contender. Ozzie, on the other hand, waited until the Boston series to publicly admit that his team is horse****, when everyone who follows this team knew that was the case since late May.

The Immigrant
08-31-2007, 04:56 PM
The Cubs were pretty bad when Lou was saying those things. You couldn't be more completely wrong about this.

Lou received plenty of criticism for throwing his players under the bus in April and May, even from the likes of Mariotti. I don't understand what double standard people are talking about here.

The Immigrant
08-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Thinking what Guillen said is pathetic seems to me more pathetic than what Guillen said.

Nothing like an ad hominem attack on the Friday before a holiday.

veeter
08-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Nothing like an ad hominem attack on the Friday before a holiday.After a couple of drinks Immigrant, man did this make me laugh. Good stuff. By the way, totally agree with Ozzie 100%. I hope the cubs lose every ****ing game.

dickallen15
08-31-2007, 05:05 PM
Ozzie should watch it. The media has covered his behind plenty. He ate up all the praise when things went well. Take some of the heat when you have the most dissappointing team in baseball. If the White Sox won a WS in 2000, if they played like this in 2002, people would want Jerry Manuel's head on a platter. Lou was criticized immensely earlier this season. No manager has been ripped more than Dusty Baker.

soltrain21
09-01-2007, 12:28 AM
I'm glad Ozzie is starting to open his mouth again. It seems like the more he jabbers on the better our record is.

dickallen15
09-01-2007, 01:12 AM
I'm glad Ozzie is starting to open his mouth again. It seems like the more he jabbers on the better our record is.
Yeah, the Sox are really piling up the wins since he started popping off again.

ZombieRob
09-01-2007, 01:51 AM
if the Sox stink next year like this year will it be the media's fault?And why is Ozzie even paying attention to the Cubs.Alert to Ozzie ,your in the A.L your team stinks.pay attention to whats infront of you not whats on the northside of town.

Nellie_Fox
09-01-2007, 01:56 AM
if the Sox stink next year like this year will it be the media's fault?And why is Ozzie even paying attention to the Cubs.Alert to Ozzie ,your in the A.L your team stinks.pay attention to whats infront of you not whats on the northside of town.Yeah, Ozzie, pay no attention to anything else going on in the city in which you live. Don't read any papers. Don't watch TV. Don't pay any attention to the constant speculation about when you are going to get fired, and why.

ZombieRob
09-01-2007, 02:02 AM
Yeah, Ozzie, pay no attention to anything else going on in the city in which you live. Don't read any papers. Don't watch TV. Don't pay any attention to the constant speculation about when you are going to get fired, and why.
Why should he? alot of people don't.He's already stated he supposdly doesn't care what the media says,but obviously it does.Someone needs to tell him Lou is 2 times the managerand player Ozzie is or was.Maybe Ozzie needs to stop worrying about the Cubs ,becuse they arn't even in the A.L.

Nellie_Fox
09-01-2007, 02:06 AM
Why should he? alot of people don't.He's already stated he supposdly doesn't care what the media says,but obviously it does.Someone needs to tell him Lou is 2 times the managerand player Ozzie is or was.Maybe Ozzie needs to stop worrying about the Cubs ,becuse they arn't even in the A.L.Man, your posts are hard to read.

Yeah, I get it. You hate Ozzie. No matter what he does, you'll find fault with it. Nothing new there.

ZombieRob
09-01-2007, 02:12 AM
Man, your posts are hard to read.

Yeah, I get it. You hate Ozzie. No matter what he does, you'll find fault with it. Nothing new there.
Not true and a bad assumption.I like Ozzie the manager,but when Ozzie starts whining about how another manager in town gets treated that tells me his focus is off of what really matters.Who cares if the media kisses Lou's ass.IMO its not something he should even be thinking about at this point.especially whats going on with his team.

Britt Burns
09-01-2007, 03:10 AM
In some ways it is comforting to know that Ozzie still leads the leagues in (bleeps).

FarWestChicago
09-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Man, your posts are hard to read.

Not true and a bad assumption.No, Nellie is right. Your posts validate his position.