PDA

View Full Version : September call-ups?

russ99
08-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Anyone have info on who the Sox are gonna call up tomorrow?

I'd like to see a few more kids at least try the rest of the season instead of the garbage we've seen lately.

Here's my guesses: Wiki Gonzalez (time for Hall to have surgery), Anderson (if healthy), Sweeney, Heath Phillips, Vasquez (the other one), Gio, Broadway.

alohafri
08-31-2007, 02:34 PM
How about someone to play third base...even Wilkins at this point!

whitesoxwilkes
08-31-2007, 02:37 PM
How about someone to play third base...even Wilkins at this point!

I'm a first baseman. Too slow for the hot corner.

salty99
08-31-2007, 02:41 PM

I'd like to see a few more kids at least try the rest of the season instead of the garbage we've seen lately.

Here's my guesses: Wiki Gonzalez (time for Hall to have surgery), Anderson (if healthy), Sweeney, Heath Phillips, Vasquez (the other one), Gio, Broadway.

I'd rather see Lucy come up than Gonzalez. Anderson NO. Sweeney YES. Phillips NO. Vazquez YES. Gio YES. Broadway NO. Russell YES.

NorthSideSox72
08-31-2007, 02:50 PM
I doubt you will see many pitchers up. The team is already carrying a ton of them, and they need regular innings to be effective.

Wiki won't be called up. He hasn't even played since 7/31. I think he might be on the DL. Lucy might be though, especially with as badly as Hall has played this year.

Anderson is still out, hasn't played since 7/6.

Sweeney might be called up. Maybe Russell and/or Vasquez for pitchers. Bourgeois is a definite possibility, and my pick for a darkhorse... Tom Collaro.

BainesHOF
08-31-2007, 03:06 PM
What about September send-downs?

Chez
08-31-2007, 03:07 PM
What about September send-downs?

Well played.

drewcifer
08-31-2007, 03:43 PM
I'd rather see Lucy come up than Gonzalez. Anderson NO. Sweeney YES. Phillips NO. Vazquez YES. Gio YES. Broadway NO. Russell YES.

Solid.

In fact, I want to see anyone and everyone come up for a look and see if they can hit without ****ting their ****ing pants, and spare us those already in diapers.

Hitmen77
09-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Here's what the Cubune says:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070831soxbits,1,196919.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

It appears that top-rated outfielder Ryan Sweeney will not be among the call-ups when rosters expand Saturday.

"I don't think he's coming up because I have a lot of outfielders and that's going to make it tough for me to play this kid and play the rest of the guys," manager Ozzie Guillen said.

Guillen said catcher Donny Lucy, hitting .200 in 19 games at Triple-A after .269 at Double-A, would be among the call-ups.

The rest could be pitchers, such as converted relievers Nick Masset and Andy Sisco, reliever David Aardsma and starting prospects Lance Broadway and Health Phillips.

Sisco and Aardsma might get call ups after looking mediocre in AAA? Woohoo!!!! I can hardly wait.

A. Cavatica
09-01-2007, 01:53 AM
No callup for Sweeney, because Ozzie has a lot of outfielders; but (a) he has room for Fields in his outfield despite not having another 3B, and (b) he has room for Erstad in his outfield. :dunno:

JB98
09-01-2007, 02:21 AM
No callup for Sweeney, because Ozzie has a lot of outfielders; but (a) he has room for Fields in his outfield despite not having another 3B, and (b) he has room for Erstad in his outfield. :dunno:

Fields, Owens and Dye are the outfielders. There isn't any room for Sweeney. I don't know what the harm is in calling him up, but I don't think he'd play much.

Grzegorz
09-01-2007, 06:07 AM
Fields, Owens and Dye are the outfielders. There isn't any room for Sweeney. I don't know what the harm is in calling him up, but I don't think he'd play much.

"I don't know what the harm is in calling him up, but I don't think he'd play much."

I think that's it: why call him up if he's not going to play. Some of these guys have winter ball in their future. Sweeney, BA (I hope I am wrong but I think he's going to be included in an off season deal), Owens, and hopefully Fields (too much baseball for both he & Owens?) can use the time to further develop.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-01-2007, 07:14 AM
I think they are forced to bring up Aardsma and Sisco just so they can trade them, if that is possible. If they are left in AAA, that sends a message to other teams that they aren't worth anything.

They also have to call up Phillips to showcase him for a potential trade. It does not seem that he is in their long-range plans, but if he can have a couple of effective starts, he creates some value.

I would lke to see Bourgeois called up to get him some at bats.

DumpJerry
09-01-2007, 07:57 AM
I thought the September callup took place in May and June this year.

wassagstdu
09-01-2007, 08:22 AM
I'd like to see a complete lineup of call-ups for the rest of the season. Bullpen too. Every one of the position players sits (3-9; AJ plays), including Thome (should be ashamed to get his 500th HR on this team) and Fields (We know what he has to offer. The question is not can he play LF, it's how many years would it take him to learn to play LF.) Maybe a miracle and we find someone who is fun to watch, a Jayson Werth.

So often a team's play in September carries over to the next spring. So let's cancel September for this team.

oeo
09-01-2007, 09:52 AM
I'd like to see a complete lineup of call-ups for the rest of the season. Bullpen too. Every one of the position players sits (3-9; AJ plays), including Thome (should be ashamed to get his 500th HR on this team) and Fields (We know what he has to offer. The question is not can he play LF, it's how many years would it take him to learn to play LF.) Maybe a miracle and we find someone who is fun to watch, a Jayson Werth.

So often a team's play in September carries over to the next spring. So let's cancel September for this team.

Where are we going to get all these guys from? We have Sweeney and Lucy in AAA, and that's it when it comes to position prospects.

And don't be so hard on Fields. He was out there with absolutely no practice that first game. He'll get the hang of LF...

southside rocks
09-01-2007, 10:00 AM
And don't be so hard on Fields. He was out there with absolutely no practice that first game. He'll get the hang of LF...

I believe he will. I thought -- think -- it was total insanity to plunk him down in LF and declare that he's a left-fielder, but I have great faith in Josh's ability to make the switch, even on the fly as it were. And hey, if he muffs a ball here and there and even costs the team some runs -- or some games -- it's not like that means a whole lot right now. This is a situation of making lemonade when given lemons, I guess.

I am really liking what I see from this kid and looking forward to his future.

A. Cavatica
09-01-2007, 11:48 AM

Playing Sweeney at third makes as much sense as anything.

Daver
09-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Playing Sweeney at third makes as much sense as anything.

Call up Don Lucy to play third, his bat will fit right in with the rest of the lineup.

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-01-2007, 05:50 PM

Gio won't be called up because he'll take a roster spot, which he doesn't need to have right now to be on the Sox.

UserNameBlank
09-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Call up Don Lucy to play third, his bat will fit right in with the rest of the lineup.
I was kind of hoping we'd see Bourgeois up here. Drop Reynoso or something. Assuming Andy Gonzalez takes over for Cintron as backup MIF, Bourgeois can take over for Mackowiak. I highly, highly doubt he hits like Mack did, but whatever. He's cheap and I think that's all the Sox care about in regards to their bench right now.

JohnTucker0814
09-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Does anyone have an idea on who we are bringing up from the minors to fill our 40 man roster out?

LITTLE NELL
09-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I have no idea, but whats worse is anyone we bring up doesnt have an IDEA either.

soxfanreggie
09-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Bringing up a guy batting .200 in AAA...not the type of call-up I want to see, but I guess it can't be any worse than Hall right now.

chisoxmike
09-03-2007, 08:51 PM
I thought the September callup took place in May and June this year.

:rolling:

He's been on the team since the start of 2006.:smile:

The Dude
09-03-2007, 09:57 PM
:rolling:

He's been on the team since the start of 2006.:smile:

And you still hate his guts even though he proved you wrong!:tongue:

chisoxmike
09-03-2007, 09:59 PM
And you still hate his guts even though he proved you wrong!:tongue:

How? That's he's pitched well when it doesn't matter?

JohnTucker0814
09-03-2007, 10:09 PM

Not his fault that it doesn't matter.

chisoxmike
09-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Not his fault that it doesn't matter.

No, its not. He's been a solid pitcher this year. But I hate the "Vazquez is a greatest pitcher of all time" crap on here. He's a .500 pitcher. Nothing more. But its garbage time.

JohnTucker0814
09-03-2007, 10:22 PM
No, its not. He's been a solid pitcher this year. But I hate the "Vazquez is a greatest pitcher of all time" crap on here. He's a .500 pitcher. Nothing more. But its garbage time.

True, he may be a .500 pitcher, however he spent several years playing for MONTREAL. Then he went to the Yankees and had a super 1st half of the year (when it did matter) however did struggle the 2nd half. They shipped him off to a crappy Arizona team where again he had to deal with a bad team. Cut the guy some slack. Not everyone can be Johan Santana, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, etc.

I'm not trying to say he is the best pitcher out there. But he is a good pitcher. One that is very valuable when you can have 2 solid pitchers in front of him. (now the Sox just need to get 1 more solid pitcher to pitch with Buehrle at the top of the rotation!)

oeo
09-03-2007, 10:37 PM

Who ever said he was the 'greatest of all time?'

I'll put money on him (as long as he stays healthy), that he has another solid season next year, with no 'garbage time.' I think that's total bull****. He stepped up at the end of last year when we were still in it; unfortunately the offense took a break.

IlliniSox4Life
09-04-2007, 02:00 AM

His first 10 starts in 2006, he was 6-3 with a 3.86 ERA. It mattered then. Then he was pretty bad in June and July before having a pretty good August and Sept. This year he had a below average May, but his April and June were pretty good when it mattered, as well as his July. It's hard to say when a game doesn't "matter", but Javy hasn't seemed to pitch all that worse when it matters than when it doesn't.

On another note, maybe I have a bad memory, but I thought Javy's first game with us he pitched a 1-hit complete game, but on ESPN the stats don't match up. Am I wrong?

edit: after looking closer at his games, maybe it was his third start that was a 2-hitter against KC that I'm thinking of.

09-04-2007, 03:31 AM
I believe he will. I thought -- think -- it was total insanity to plunk him down in LF and declare that he's a left-fielder, but I have great faith in Josh's ability to make the switch, even on the fly as it were. And hey, if he muffs a ball here and there and even costs the team some runs -- or some games -- it's not like that means a whole lot right now. This is a situation of making lemonade when given lemons, I guess.

I am really liking what I see from this kid and looking forward to his future.

Who cares what Fields is doing in LF at this point. The 2007 White Sox September lineup should be looked at as extended spring training.

Grzegorz
09-04-2007, 05:49 AM

This is where you are wrong; it does matter. To perform well at this time of the year means you have not capitulated. As you know, whether this team has capitulated is the big question on this board.

One cannot have it both ways: if a player "phones it in" they're greedy and just cashing a check. If a player plays well and approaches these remaining games professionally then the results do not not matter because the pressure is off.

It's all about pride in oneself. Pride is an attribute I want for all the players on my team.

DumpJerry
09-04-2007, 07:43 AM
The Tribune is reporting today that Adam Russell "might" be brought up for the Detroit series.

FoulTerritory
09-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Not sure if anyone has posted about Heath Phillips yet, but I live in the town he is from and teach at the community college he attended before being drafted. Our athletic director just sent out an all-campus email saying that Heath had called him last night to let him know he was getting called up.

Heath is all the rage here, of course. But considering that Wafflehouse and Applebees are considered hot spots here . . . we must take small-town perspective into consideration.

jabrch
09-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Heath is all the rage here, of course. But considering that Wafflehouse and Applebees are considered hot spots here . . . we must take small-town perspective into consideration.

I love mine smothered covered topped and diced. If Heath could bring a plate with him on his way, I sit over in 113.

:-)

Jaffar
09-04-2007, 12:15 PM

What I wouldn't do for a local Wafflehouse and Chik-fil-a!!!!!!

Sockinchisox
09-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Broadway and Phillips were recalled today, both making their major league debuts. Kind of surprised they didn't go with someone who was actually pitching well, though after a rocky starts Phillips was doing pretty good.

Broadway is just bad.

sox1970
09-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Broadway and Phillips were recalled today, both making their major league debuts. Kind of surprised they didn't go with someone who was actually pitching well, though after a rocky starts Phillips was doing pretty good.

Broadway is just bad.

I can live with not calling up Gio Gonzalez, but to call up Broadway and Phillips is a slap in the face to Jack Egbert. He deserved a call up.

Sockinchisox
09-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I can live with not calling up Gio Gonzalez, but to call up Broadway and Phillips is a slap in the face to Jack Egbert. He deserved a call up.

He certainly did, but the fact that Egbert pitched 6 inning yesterday probably went into the decision.

Now we get to sit through lots and lots of walks.

JermaineDye05
09-04-2007, 04:44 PM

they can still call up more people.

sox1970
09-04-2007, 04:46 PM
they can still call up more people.

They could, but why not today? The minor league season is over.

JermaineDye05
09-04-2007, 06:03 PM
They could, but why not today? The minor league season is over.

Well I heard they were going to be calling more people up when they get back to Chicago, not sure who that would be but could possibly be one of the people you mentioned.

salty99
09-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Since the 40 man roster is now full, someone else would have to be dropped from it to add Russell or Egbert.

Tragg
09-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Fields, Owens and Dye are the outfielders. There isn't any room for Sweeney.. Owens isn't getting any better. Why not give Sweeney a shot there? Owens is far, far away from mediocre starter quality right now and it's unlikely he'll help the Sox next year.
No use over-working Dye.
And they don't play ever day. Always need for a bench player.

wcw2323
09-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Why not call up Charlie Haeger. He had the best stats in Charlotte the last 10 games. He was 2-7, 66IP, 18 BB, 55 K's, 2.26 ERA...talk about quality starts and no run support!!
He is a starter and has only one start at the MLB level, that was last year in May replacing Contreras. He has only been used as a reliefer since. He was called up last Sept and performed extremely well. He was called up this summer for the month of July and had so-so performances.
I don't understand why the Sox don't create some starts for him in Sept. Doesn't make any sense!

JermaineDye05
09-05-2007, 04:27 PM
I would like to see Nick Masset get another shot at starting considering that is his future, and hopefully get a start or two for either Egbert or Gio.

JermaineDye05
09-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I read on chicagosports that now that the White Sox 40 man roster is full that the Sox cannot get Gio or Egbert up here. How does the 40 man roster work? Can the WS take someone off the roster without releasing them or designating them for assignment?

sox1970
09-05-2007, 05:42 PM
I read on chicagosports that now that the White Sox 40 man roster is full that the Sox cannot get Gio or Egbert up here. How does the 40 man roster work? Can the WS take someone off the roster without releasing them or designating them for assignment?

With some players, they can outright them to their minor league team, like they did with Casey Rogowski earlier in the year.

Joe Crede and Pablo Ozuna aren't on the active 40-man since they were placed on the 60-day DL.

It appears the Sox won't be making any more roster moves the rest of the season. November and December should have a lot of roster activity.

UserNameBlank
09-05-2007, 05:52 PM
With some players, they can outright them to their minor league team, like they did with Casey Rogowski earlier in the year.
Can the Sox do that with a player without first having that player pass through waivers unclaimed? I thought Casey just went unclaimed?

UserNameBlank
09-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I would like to see Nick Masset get another shot at starting considering that is his future, and hopefully get a start or two for either Egbert or Gio.

Why not call up Charlie Haeger. He had the best stats in Charlotte the last 10 games. He was 2-7, 66IP, 18 BB, 55 K's, 2.26 ERA...talk about quality starts and no run support!!
He is a starter and has only one start at the MLB level, that was last year in May replacing Contreras. He has only been used as a reliefer since. He was called up last Sept and performed extremely well. He was called up this summer for the month of July and had so-so performances.
I don't understand why the Sox don't create some starts for him in Sept. Doesn't make any sense!
The Sox have way too many 5th starters who are probably ready now but need serious work and/or experience. Masset, Phillips, Haeger, Sisco, Broadway, Floyd... the Sox are going to have to make a lot of decisions over the offseason, not just in regards to new acquistions but with their own players. I have to believe Danks, Gio, and Egbert are ahead of all of these guys in KW's longterm plans, so they all could go.

KW might still have a hardon for Gavin Floyd, but Gavin's time is running out. He needs to show a lot over the last few starts this year and have a very impressive ST to stick in the rotation next year. I guess Kenny can start 2008 with Gio and Eggy in Charlotte but with the seasons they have had in the minor leagues up to this point it is really hard to ignore them while Sox starters are getting lit up. Unless we somehow have breakout seasons from both Danks and Floyd or something next year, Gio and Eggy are probably both going to make their debuts by midseason next year.

Daver
09-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Can the Sox do that with a player without first having that player pass through waivers unclaimed? I thought Casey just went unclaimed?

Casey was unclaimed, he cleared waivers, no one wants a first baseman with no power.

Tragg
09-05-2007, 07:29 PM
KW might still have a hardon for Gavin Floyd, but Gavin's time is running out. He needs to show a lot over the last few starts this year and have a very impressive ST to stick in the rotation next year.
"Hardon" nothing - he's pitched more effectively than most of the bullpen. Much rather him than more of Meyers, Bukvich, MacDougal et al. 5 of his last 7 apperances have been effective....when he bombs, he bombs, but he also pitches well a lot. He's like a poor-man's Vasquez. But he needs to improve his consistency. Hopefully he'll throw well tonight.
I wouldn't pencil him into the rotation, but in the pen? Sure.
A "hardon" is why Erstad is playing in September instead of Sweeney.

Casey was unclaimed, he cleared waivers, no one wants a first baseman with no power.

Ozzie Guillen does, at least as backup 1B and backup DH.

rowand33
09-05-2007, 11:49 PM

I don't get it either. I look at what Haeger did last september, I look what at what he's been doing lately in AAA, I look at Tim Wakefield over in Boston, and I think about how special Haeger could end up being. I wish we'd give him more of a shot.

Hitmen77
09-06-2007, 11:15 AM
KW comment on why others weren't promoted as a Sept. call-up:
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/09/tough-love.html

FedEx227
09-06-2007, 11:42 AM
KW comment on why others weren't promoted as a Sept. call-up:
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/09/tough-love.html

That's some great work by Kenny.

Why are we such a stubborn organization?

THATS WHAT SEPTEMBER CALL-UPS WHEN YOU'RE TEAM IS AWFUL ARE FOR! Great, they sucked as a team, too bad, that's why MLB gives you this opportunity to expand the rosters and play around and see what you actually have.

God, sometimes this organization just DOESN'T make sense.

thechico
09-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Aardsma. The name along makes me want to change channels. We stuck with this guy WAY too long earlier this year.

Hitmen77
09-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Here's an article on someone who wasn't called up - Nick Masset:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070910&content_id=2200370&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws