PDA

View Full Version : Will the White Sox hit 200 HR's this year?

soxinem1
08-31-2007, 11:27 AM
One of the things we have not really discussed is whether or not, in the midst of this ****ty season, the Sox will be able to keep their major league team streak of 200 HR's going for a seventh season.

Sure, it's no big glory, but we might as well root for something.

So far, it looks like they have a good enough shot, but it will be close. I say they hit 205.

What do you gals and guys think?

nccwsfan
08-31-2007, 11:34 AM
I think that they will reach 200+ home runs and hope that this streak ends in 2008. We're 1 for 7 going this route...

BeefyD
08-31-2007, 11:56 AM
I haven't kept track since, but after Monday's game, they totalled 150 home runs for the year.

chisoxmike
08-31-2007, 12:33 PM
:whocares:

voodoochile
08-31-2007, 12:36 PM
I think that they will reach 200+ home runs and hope that this streak ends in 2008. We're 1 for 7 going this route...

Ah... but we're also 1 for 88 going this route...

nccwsfan
08-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Ah... but we're also 1 for 88 going this route...

Touche- great point.:redface:

Lip Man 1
08-31-2007, 12:54 PM
If they do it...fine... however I would rather have a balanced team that can actually bunt, steal bases and execute the hit and run just as easily as it can 'swing for the fences...'

Lip

voodoochile
08-31-2007, 01:03 PM
If they do it...fine... however I would rather have a balanced team that can actually bunt, steal bases and execute the hit and run just as easily as it can 'swing for the fences...'

Lip

I agree. I'd love to see a team with great OBP, speed and bat control with a modicum of power to surround our big boppers in the middle. :D:

Foulke You
08-31-2007, 01:23 PM

Lip
Couldn't agree more Lip. The key isn't Ozzieball or Smallball, etc. It is having balance. The '05 Sox did it all. They could single you to death, hit the big 3 run HR, move a runner over and get a sac fly, steal bases, and just about everything right offensively.

As far as nccwsfan's comment about power...I don't think you can ignore the power angle especially the way our ballpark plays in the warm weather. We won 99 games and a World Series being a top team in HRs, and we won 90 games in '06 being a top team in HRs. The long ball is an important element to our offense and shouldn't be ignored. We just need to find that right recipe that we had in 2005 that hit HRs AND did the other stuff.

nccwsfan
08-31-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't think you can ignore the power angle especially the way our ballpark plays in the warm weather. We won 99 games and a World Series being a top team in HRs, and we won 90 games in '06 being a top team in HRs. The long ball is an important element to our offense and shouldn't be ignored. We just need to find that right recipe that we had in 2005 that hit HRs AND did the other stuff.

I agree- I wouldn't ignore power, but the 'station to station' baseball isn't working either. Too many players in our lineup can hit the long ball but can't run out a DP, move from 1st to 3rd, hit and run, steal, etc.

This lineup needs a few hitters that can hit .300, have a .350+OBP, take a few pitches, bunt. What I don't want is what we have now.

JB98
08-31-2007, 01:44 PM
It seems like there are a lot of people on WSI rooting for that streak to end, which it will this season. I hope those who hate it when the Sox hit home runs are enjoying this season of worst-in-the-league run production.

We need to hit more home runs. We also need to get some guys who can run. We need to get some guys who know how to execute in situations. Some of you have talked about the need for a balanced lineup, and I absolutely agree.

However, right now, this club does nothing well offensively. We're not out of balance. We just absolutely ****ing suck. That's the bottom line.

thomas35forever
08-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Right now, I'll take any hitting accomplishment from our offense. Fortunately, Big Jim will hit his 500th soon. We've seen our pitching staff make history this year, now it's the offense's turn.

nccwsfan
08-31-2007, 01:54 PM
It seems like there are a lot of people on WSI rooting for that streak to end, which it will this season. I hope those who hate it when the Sox hit home runs are enjoying this season of worst-in-the-league run production.

We need to hit more home runs. We also need to get some guys who can run. We need to get some guys who know how to execute in situations. Some of you have talked about the need for a balanced lineup, and I absolutely agree.

However, right now, this club does nothing well offensively. We're not out of balance. We just absolutely ****ing suck. That's the bottom line.

Everyone would & should want 250+ home runs, provided that it comes with the balanced lineup you're talking about. The way it is right now I'd like to trade out some of that power for more saavy hitters/baserunners.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2007, 02:53 PM
JB:

In 2005 the Sox were in the top five in the league in starting pitching, home runs, infield hits, stolen bases, sacrifice bunts and sacrifice flies.

At least that's what it said when I looked it up.

Again the key word is balance.

In 2005 these guys could actually get a bunt down when they needed to, in 06 the same guys who could bunt in 05, couldn't....which made no sense to me then or now.

No one is trying to belittle for lack of a better word, the ability to hit home runs especially when you play 81 games at U.S. Cellular but what happens on the road? Like in a pitchers park in Oakland...or Seattle.

If someone could wave a magic wand and 'guarantee' the Sox would hit four home runs a game EVERY game in 2008 (including some with actual men on base) I'd say 'great....go for it.'

Unfortunately no one can guarantee this which means the Sox have to return to being able to beat you in ways other then a three run home run. It simply increases the odds of them being able to win games the more things they can do.

Just my opinion.

Lip

MCHSoxFan
08-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Couldn't agree more Lip. The key isn't Ozzieball or Smallball, etc. It is having balance. The '05 Sox did it all. They could single you to death, hit the big 3 run HR, move a runner over and get a sac fly, steal bases, and just about everything right offensively.

As far as nccwsfan's comment about power...I don't think you can ignore the power angle especially the way our ballpark plays in the warm weather. We won 99 games and a World Series being a top team in HRs, and we won 90 games in '06 being a top team in HRs. The long ball is an important element to our offense and shouldn't be ignored. We just need to find that right recipe that we had in 2005 that hit HRs AND did the other stuff.

Stop making me wanna cry! :whiner: I miss those days! :(:

Anyways, GREAT points. In 2005 we could get on base, steal bases, keep hitting the ball all over the place, and hitting homeruns.

Hey, I gotta an idea: LET'S DO IT AGAIN...NOW!!! :D:

munchman33
08-31-2007, 04:43 PM
I'd like to take guesses on which happens first:

1. Our pitching staff gives up 200 home runs
2. Our hitters reach 200 solo shots