PDA

View Full Version : Best General Manager, Field Manager, and Farm System in MLB

Viva Medias B's
08-31-2007, 08:01 AM
Three questions for the class:

Who is the best general manager in Major League Baseball?
Who is the best field manager in Major League Baseball?
What organization has the best farm system in Major League Baseball?Have at it!

Oblong
08-31-2007, 08:10 AM
1. Schueleroz (sp?)..... the guy in Atlanta!
2. Gardenhire (as much as it pains me to say)
3. Do you mean current overall strength or recent history (last 10 years or so?)

Viva Medias B's
08-31-2007, 08:12 AM
1. Schueleroz (sp?)..... the guy in Atlanta!
2. Gardenhire (as much as it pains me to say)
3. Do you mean current overall strength or recent history (last 10 years or so?)

Current overall strength.

WSox597
08-31-2007, 08:31 PM
I guess we'd have to rule out the White Sox entirely, except for a brief shining moment in 2005, which is beginning to look like sheer luck.

The farm system is in a shambles, and the manager is barely intelligible. The jury is still out on the GM, but it's not looking good. This coming off-season will tell the tale.

I have to agree with Schuerholz as the best GM.

Leyland or LaRussa as manager. Maybe Torre.

Farm system has to be the Twins.

UserNameBlank
08-31-2007, 08:40 PM
1. Schuerholz
2. Cox or Gardenhire
3. Yankees. Phillip Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, and Ian Kennedy. Two potential aces and a potential solid #3/4 starter all pretty much ready right now.

UserNameBlank
08-31-2007, 08:45 PM
I'll go with the Twins as the best farm system.

Farm system has to be the Twins.

Who do the Twins have coming up? I guess if you love Garza, Slowley, or Perkins but man, that's not what I'd call great.

Twins have probably the most overrated farm system, at least by Sox fans. I wonder if other teams' fans overrate them as much as Sox fans do?

*Edit: I wonder what Sox fans would do if the Twins had some of the young talent that teams like the Yanks, Dbacks, and Dodgers have?

seventyseven
08-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Three questions for the class:
What organization has the best farm system in Major League Baseball?Have at it!

1. Dave Dombrowski (even despite the Neifi Perez trade)
2. Tony LaRussa
3. Arizona Diamondbacks

FedEx227
08-31-2007, 11:33 PM
John Schuerholz
Rod Gardenhire
What organization has the best farm system in Major League Baseball?
Currently... Arizona Diamondbacks of the past 15 years either Cleveland Indians or Atlanta Braves

FarWestChicago
09-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Best GM:

:fobbgod:

Best field manager:

You didn't think I actually let those cretins on the bench do anything did you?

I have the best organization in baseball, footy...and I'll get football and basketball soon. I'm working on Al Davis and the Warriors.

Fenway
09-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Best GM Atlanta Best manager Francona. He handels the circus well. Farm Boston near the top

Brian26
09-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Best GM Atlanta Best manager Francona. He handels the circus well. Farm Boston near the top

I would not disagree regarding Boston's farm system. Papelbon, Pedroia, Lester already brought up, with Buckholz, Ellsbury and Lowrie on their way. They already traded David Murphy.

Fenway
09-01-2007, 08:41 AM
I would not disagree regarding Boston's farm system. Papelbon, Pedroia, Lester already brought up, with Buckholz, Ellsbury and Lowrie on their way. They already traded David Murphy.

Buchholz starts tonight at Fenway. Having 3 teams within 100 miles of Boston is huge as the front office can see them often. Why the White Sox not in the Midwest League baffles me. Kane County should be a Sox team not Oakland.

South Side Irish
09-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Buchholz starts tonight at Fenway. Having 3 teams within 100 miles of Boston is huge as the front office can see them often. Why the White Sox not in the Midwest League baffles me. Kane County should be a Sox team not Oakland.

Not to mention, it builds fan base. Works for the Cubs in Iowa/Peoria, too. Must work for other teams, too.

Tragg
09-02-2007, 11:29 PM
The Braves won so many division titles for 1 reason primarily: they had a staff that consisted of 3 hall of famers, who pitched like hall of famers consistently.
Otherwise, the 2 Jones' and a lot of average players.
Certainly John S deserves great credit, though, for keeping 3 hall of fame pitchers on 1 staff. Some good fortune too.

I like Scosia with the Angels for manager. I don't know if he's the best, I just like him. Cox, Francona, LaRusa, Torre, Gardenhire are top flight.

Hitmen77
09-02-2007, 11:53 PM

I would love to have the chance to go to Kane County and see Sox prospects play. If not for the Cougars themselves - then at least from one of the visiting Midwest League teams.

Grzegorz
09-03-2007, 05:14 AM

I believe the Chicago Blackhawks figured this one out by moving their farm team from Norfolk Virginia to Rockford Illinois.

I'd love to see the White Sox obtain the rights to a team in the Midwest League. It makes sense logistically and financially to do so.

itsnotrequired
09-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Who do the Twins have coming up? I guess if you love Garza, Slowley, or Perkins but man, that's not what I'd call great.

Twins have probably the most overrated farm system, at least by Sox fans. I wonder if other teams' fans overrate them as much as Sox fans do?

*Edit: I wonder what Sox fans would do if the Twins had some of the young talent that teams like the Yanks, Dbacks, and Dodgers have?

Parmelee? Casilla? Kelly?

The Twins still have a decent amount waitning in the wings.

Viva Medias B's
09-03-2007, 08:40 AM
I believe the Chicago Blackhawks figured this one out by moving their farm team from Norfolk Virginia to Rockford Illinois.

I'd love to see the White Sox obtain the rights to a team in the Midwest League. It makes sense logistically and financially to do so.

We used to have the South Bend Silver Hawks and the Burlington Bees as Midwest League affiliates. We have three of our six affiliates in Carolina (Charlotte, Kannapolis, and Winson-Salem) which I think is too many. I'd like to see us have a Midwest League affiliate in Kane County or South Bend. I would like to see the Indianapolis Indians become our AAA affiliate someday.

upperdeckusc
09-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Not to mention, it builds fan base. Works for the Cubs in Iowa/Peoria, too. Must work for other teams, too.

i'd absolutely LOVE to watch minor league games locally. they even had a futures game at fenway a few wks back. thats an awesome idea that everyone should jump on to have the fans watch some of the guys in other levels.

AZChiSoxFan
09-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Despite the fact that I can't spell his name, I'm going with Mike Scoscia for best manager. The Angels play the game the same way the Sox CLAIM to want to play.

Grzegorz
09-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Best GM: Dave Dombrowski
Best Manager: Lou Pinella
Best Farm System: LA Dodgers (honorable mention to the Milwaukee Brewers)

ma-gaga
09-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Getting my $0.02 in.

The Twins have oodles of pitching in the minors. Their rotation is going to be solid for the next 5 years even if Santana leaves.

Next year; Baker, Garza, Liriano, Boof, Slowey would be somewhere between the top 15 to 10 rotation. The Twins have Santana next year, putting them in the top 5.

However, the Twins simply cannot project hitters. They are pretty much barren in terms of replacing their major league talent. They've got noone to replace Hunter in CF. Their 3B has been a mess all year. Their DH situation has been absolutely pathetic.

Kubel has been fine in LF, but hasn't really stayed healthy enough. Everytime he starts hitting the ball he tweaks something, resetting himself back 2-3 weeks.

2B is an incomplete grade. Casilla looks fine as a replacement player/bench player, but I just don't know about his long-term viability as a starter.

So, where do they stand overall?

I would guess that their pitching is a top 3. But their hitting has got to be bottom 3. Since, pitching is everything, I'm guessing they rate out as a top ~10 farm system, but that's misleading since they only have pitching.

Gardenhire is a moron. I cannot express my frustration enough on this board with his moves, and his quips. He keeps the team together, and that he is awesome at, but he creams the rookies in the papers and makes some of the oddest in-game decisions I've ever seen.

Is he in the "Top 10", yeah, I'd put him there. But I wouldn't go any higher than that.

Gotta run. :gulp:

soxinem1
09-03-2007, 11:14 PM
GM: Dombrowski.
Field: Torre
Farm: BOS, MIN, and now, TAM

Domeshot17
09-03-2007, 11:24 PM
GM Schueholz (ATL)
Manager: Bobby Cox in the NL (I dont think he would be a great AL manager) Torre in the AL. I agree with Fenway that they have a great farm, but lets not be too big of a homer on Francona. The guy every year is handed a great team because of money, and has to do his best not to screw up. As crazy as Boston media is, its nothing compared to Torre. I think 3/4 of the current managers in baseball could win in Boston.
Farm: Tampa Bay

Bucky F. Dent
09-04-2007, 07:36 AM
I would like to see the Indianapolis Indians become our AAA affiliate someday.

That would be the best.

In spite of the lack quality of play(ers), some of my best years as a Blackhawks fan occured when they had their farm team in Indy. I saw all of the major disappointments well ahead of most of the fans up in Chicago.

The Indianapolis Indians ownership seems to have a consistent love-hate relationship with its major league partners, and turns over its affiliations every three to five years as a result, I think we are in year three of that cycle with Pittsburgh right now. So in the next two or so years we should be looking for another major league franchise.

We do have a very nice stadium though.

palehozenychicty
09-04-2007, 08:53 AM

When the Sox were in South Bend, it only cemented my fandom. Why they moved out of there was beyond me.

soxinem1
09-06-2007, 06:20 PM
GM Schueholz (ATL)
Manager: Bobby Cox in the NL (I dont think he would be a great AL manager) Torre in the AL. I agree with Fenway that they have a great farm, but lets not be too big of a homer on Francona. The guy every year is handed a great team because of money, and has to do his best not to screw up. As crazy as Boston media is, its nothing compared to Torre. I think 3/4 of the current managers in baseball could win in Boston.
Farm: Tampa Bay

He was pretty good with TOR. He led them to their first winning seasons and their first playoff appearance. His style was the same back then as it has been with ATL. He could manage in the AL today, easilly.

Lip Man 1
09-06-2007, 06:25 PM
A few things:

1. For years Indianapolis was the White Sox AAA affiliate. Why the two sides parted I can't say.

2. The Twins have some very serious decisions to make in the next two years. Hunter, Santana, Nathan will all be free agent's by the end of 2008. Can Liriano come back? Morneau will be eligible for arbitration and is going to collect big...very big.

With or without the new stadium revenues coming in, that's a ton of big decisions to make. Guess wrong and you've screwed the franchise for the next five years or so.

Lip