PDA

View Full Version : If the Yankees and Red Sox meet in the 2007 ALCS...

Viva Medias B's
08-31-2007, 07:30 AM
...whom would you root for? Of course, there is no guarantee this will happen. However, it certainly is not out of the question either.

itsnotrequired
08-31-2007, 07:50 AM
Boston

McCuddy
08-31-2007, 07:51 AM
A power failure.

drewcifer
08-31-2007, 07:53 AM
A massive outbreak of a mysterious airborne Herpes strain.

DSpivack
08-31-2007, 08:23 AM
The Bears.

nccwsfan
08-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Time travel to Spring Training 2008

Fenway
08-31-2007, 08:31 AM
The Yankees are the last team Boston wants to see.

Please don't let it happen.

spiffie
08-31-2007, 08:37 AM
I would root for the undead to rise from their graves and take over the earth. Okay, I kind of root for that every day, but this would make it really appealing.

soxfanatlanta
08-31-2007, 08:58 AM
A Nor'easter

Chips
08-31-2007, 09:13 AM
The Yankees.

Sox It To Em
08-31-2007, 09:23 AM
New York, I really don't mind the Yankees. However, I despise all things Red Cubs.

chisoxmike
08-31-2007, 09:33 AM
A comet. But if that can't happen. I would want Boston to lose.

oeo
08-31-2007, 09:33 AM
The Yankees. The Red Sox were supposed to be over being pushed around by the Yankees after they won their title...yet, as evidenced by this past series (and probably the one coming up next week), they still do.

SOXPHILE
08-31-2007, 09:57 AM
With an extreme case of nausea, probably the Red Sox. Used to be a day I would say that without even hesitating, but the annoying "Cubification" of their fans (Red Sox Nation :rolleyes:), I really can't stand them anymore, and I've always disliked the Yankees. All I know is, the hyperbole
and breathless, over the top coverage of this by ESPN and Fox Sports will make me want to shoot my T.V. with a bazooka.

JB98
08-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Yankees.

I'm sick of Red Sox Nation, and I won't root for that team unless they are playing the Cubs.

The Racehorse
08-31-2007, 01:19 PM
abstain!

Fenway
08-31-2007, 01:23 PM
When FOX decided to pick the ALCS this year it wasn't because they want Anaheim-Detroit.

Meanwhile the NLCS will be forgotten over on TBS

whitesoxwilkes
08-31-2007, 01:32 PM
The Yankees.

Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb.

Fenway
08-31-2007, 01:34 PM
The Yankees.

Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb.

not all the time :smile:

http://www.afgrant.com/uploaded_images/chewie-fenway-789194.jpghttp://www.nerf-herders-anonymous.net/images/Sports_nypost-20040416-cover.jpg

jenn2080
08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
A comet. But if that can't happen. I would want Boston to lose.

me too. GO YANKS! Ewww I feel dirty saying that.

drewcifer
08-31-2007, 02:22 PM

And so you should. Filthy. :tongue:

Fenway
08-31-2007, 02:49 PM
You just rooting for the Yankees because of your uncle :smile:

MOD EDIT: Image removed by request

chisoxfanatic
08-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Yankees.

I'm sick of Red Sox Nation, and I won't root for that team unless they are playing the Cubs.

Same here! Go Yankees if they EVER play the Red Sox in the playoffs!!! At least Yankee fans have more of a clue of how to act at a visiting ballpark.

Let's hope RSN doesn't even make the playoffs though!

Foulke You
08-31-2007, 04:07 PM
I'd definitely be rooting for the Red Sox. I HATE the Yankees. HATE them. Have I mentioned my HATE for the Yanks? The words Go and Yankees do not belong coming out of the mouths of any White Sox fan together unless they happen to play the Cubs in the Fall Classic and even then, I think I'd root for the end of days.

getonbckthr
08-31-2007, 04:10 PM
I will never cheer for a New York team............NEVER.

ZombieRob
08-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Yankees.

How can any White Sox fan root for the Yankees?I personally thought the Red Sox fans showed class after we beat them in 2005 .Gave the team a standing ovation "even played sweet home Chicago". Think arrogant Yankee fans would do that?

ZombieRob
08-31-2007, 04:20 PM
not all the time :smile:

http://www.afgrant.com/uploaded_images/chewie-fenway-789194.jpghttp://www.nerf-herders-anonymous.net/images/Sports_nypost-20040416-cover.jpg
I just about hate the Yankees as much as you do.The propaganda is sickening.Even days before espn it was all about Yankee love.

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-31-2007, 07:13 PM
I voted for the end of times because if that happens, I probably won't watch much of the series. I hate both teams, but my hatred for the Yankees is deeper/goes back farther. So therefore I'll take another title for Boston over #27 for the Yankees.

Oblong
08-31-2007, 07:55 PM
This reminds me of a question I once asked a group of friends, male and female: Who would you rather sleep with, Tommy Lee or Courtney Love? Nobody could really answer it.

WSox597
08-31-2007, 08:22 PM
While some of their fan base can be annoying, ala the team 8 miles north, I can't work up a hate for Bahston.

The Yankmees, on the other hand, no problem. I would never root for a team from that city, in any sport. I didn't root for them in 2001 either. Nothing would make me root for them. Not even that.

Their fans are even more despicable than the other Chicago team's fans. Although, in their defense, at least they know what sport they're watching.

Also, in Yankee fans defense, if the Yankees start stinking up the place the fans let them know about it. Unlike up north.

UserNameBlank
08-31-2007, 08:35 PM
This reminds me of a question I once asked a group of friends, male and female: Who would you rather sleep with, Tommy Lee or Courtney Love? Nobody could really answer it.
Courtney Love behind a dumpster.

Oh, and I'd root for the Yanks. Their organization and fans have a reason to be cocky; they win, win, win. They spend money, make big moves to win, and swallow up tons of talent late in the draft and in the international market that others teams are too cheap to pay for. In many ways I envy that organization and wish we were more like it.

SOXSINCE'70
08-31-2007, 10:07 PM
I hate them both,but,God help me,a White Sox fan since 1970,
"Let's go Yankmees". :puking:

captainclutch24
09-01-2007, 01:34 AM
1. The apocolypse
2. A tidal way wiping out only NYC, bristol(magically jumps and misses every other town) and Boston
3. Yankees

Chrisaway
09-01-2007, 02:13 AM
Go Yanks. I don't even feel that sick saying that after watching the White Sox stink it up this year.

Nellie_Fox
09-01-2007, 02:17 AM
Why cheer for either? I might watch, if there's nothing more interesting on, but I won't care who wins.

Railsplitter
09-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Anyboy but the Yankees. Oh, and why do you assume the Yankers make it? Every time they seem to be making a surge this year, they've stumbled.

Oblong
09-01-2007, 08:04 AM
IN a series like this I just root for the visiting team in each game, that way the fans can go home pissed off and disappointed.

FarWestChicago
09-01-2007, 08:54 AM
I would have to go with the Skanks. The Wrong Sox have become incredibly repugnant. You combine an obnoxious fan base with the nauseating stat heads chirping about the validation of Moneyball...well, I would pull for pretty much anybody but the Flubs or scum ladens over them.

johnr1note
09-01-2007, 09:20 AM
I would have to go with the Skanks. The Wrong Sox have become incredibly repugnant. You combine an obnoxious fan base with the nauseating stat heads chirping about the validation of Moneyball...well, I would pull for pretty much anybody but the Flubs or scum ladens over them.

This sums it up for me. I have never really hated the Yankees. Yes, there is a certain repugnance in being able to buy all the players you want, and there is a prideful swagger their fans possess (and, unless there were circumstances like "My Dad was from Long Island" or something, how can someone truly be a Yankee fan growing up in Chicago?), hating the Yankees is like hating capitalism and the American way. Yankee fans are arrogant, yes, but why not? If the White Sox had a history like theirs, and were in contention nearly every year, I'd be arrogant too.

But Boston? Their fans are too Cubbish for my tastes. The whole "curse" thing, and their smug self obsession. I also hate the fact that when you mention you're a "Sox fan," Red Sox fans presume you're one of them. Pish posh!

Plus, the whole connection to moneyball is bunk. I've argued repeatedly with the Red Sox faithful who are my friends that the Red Sox are the furthest thing from Moneyball there is. Billy Beane's philosophy was based on statistical analysis, drafting college rather than high school players, and raiding other teams systems for players that weren't being used wisely. The Red Sox follow these principles to a degree, but the factor that got them to a World Series championship had nothing to do with "moneyball," it was MONEY! The Red Cubs shoehorned trades and free agent signings for big money players that pushed them over the top. The aquisition of Curt Schilling and Kieth Foulke had nothing to do with statistical analysis.

The Red Sox have a payroll almost as big as the Yankees, and use Yankee techniques to sign or trade and then sign players so they can remain competitive. They are "Yankees-Lite." If the Yankees are the evil empire, the Red Sox are the evil constitutional monarchy. If you compare the Yankees to Nazi Germany, then the Red Sox would be Mussolini's Italy. I hope the Red Sox never win another pennant in my lifetime.

chaerulez
09-01-2007, 10:00 AM
This sums it up for me. I have never really hated the Yankees. Yes, there is a certain repugnance in being able to buy all the players you want, and there is a prideful swagger their fans possess (and, unless there were circumstances like "My Dad was from Long Island" or something, how can someone truly be a Yankee fan growing up in Chicago?), hating the Yankees is like hating capitalism and the American way. Yankee fans are arrogant, yes, but why not? If the White Sox had a history like theirs, and were in contention nearly every year, I'd be arrogant too.

But Boston? Their fans are too Cubbish for my tastes. The whole "curse" thing, and their smug self obsession. I also hate the fact that when you mention you're a "Sox fan," Red Sox fans presume you're one of them. Pish posh!

Plus, the whole connection to moneyball is bunk. I've argued repeatedly with the Red Sox faithful who are my friends that the Red Sox are the furthest thing from Moneyball there is. Billy Beane's philosophy was based on statistical analysis, drafting college rather than high school players, and raiding other teams systems for players that weren't being used wisely. The Red Sox follow these principles to a degree, but the factor that got them to a World Series championship had nothing to do with "moneyball," it was MONEY! The Red Cubs shoehorned trades and free agent signings for big money players that pushed them over the top. The aquisition of Curt Schilling and Kieth Foulke had nothing to do with statistical analysis.

The Red Sox have a payroll almost as big as the Yankees, and use Yankee techniques to sign or trade and then sign players so they can remain competitive. They are "Yankees-Lite." If the Yankees are the evil empire, the Red Sox are the evil constitutional monarchy. If you compare the Yankees to Nazi Germany, then the Red Sox would be Mussolini's Italy. I hope the Red Sox never win another pennant in my lifetime.

Hating the Yankees is like hating American and capitalism?

Are you a Dallas Cowboys fan? The Yankees are hated because most of their "fans" didn't grow up anywhere near New York. They watched a lot of ESPN growing up and it became cool to like the Yankees. I had some idiot last year on the L try and make fun of Frank Thomas to me. I ended the argument by saying I knew he was probably from Downers Grove and had never been to the Bronx. I'm not denying Boston fans are more annoying now. They have a fanbase that consists of many that have never even been near Fenway Park in anytime of their lives. A few years ago I met a guy who was a Cubs and Red Sox fan. Another baseball fool. I also agree that the Red Sox are not Moneyball. The basic principle of Moneyball was winning with a low budget in a league where there is no salary cap. It was because players with high OBP were undervalued if they didn't have enough power or even batting average in their stats that was something Beane took advantage of in the baseball market. You are right, the A's never could get the big name free agents the Red Sox paid for. Saying that the Red Sox employ the Moneyball strategy is wrong.

But yeah, I don't think hating the Yankees has anything to do with hating a country and it's economic system.

johnr1note
09-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Hating the Yankees is like hating American and capitalism?

Are you a Dallas Cowboys fan? The Yankees are hated because most of their "fans" didn't grow up anywhere near New York. They watched a lot of ESPN growing up and it became cool to like the Yankees. I had some idiot last year on the L try and make fun of Frank Thomas to me. I ended the argument by saying I knew he was probably from Downers Grove and had never been to the Bronx. I'm not denying Boston fans are more annoying now. They have a fanbase that consists of many that have never even been near Fenway Park in anytime of their lives. A few years ago I met a guy who was a Cubs and Red Sox fan. Another baseball fool. I also agree that the Red Sox are not Moneyball. The basic principle of Moneyball was winning with a low budget in a league where there is no salary cap. It was because players with high OBP were undervalued if they didn't have enough power or even batting average in their stats that was something Beane took advantage of in the baseball market. You are right, the A's never could get the big name free agents the Red Sox paid for. Saying that the Red Sox employ the Moneyball strategy is wrong.

But yeah, I don't think hating the Yankees has anything to do with hating a country and it's economic system.

I am sorry my metaphor was lost on you. From what I see, most people seem to hate the Yankees because they're successful. In reality, I run into very few Yankee fans in my day to day world, so I don't deal with the kind of stupidity you experienced. My comments about capitalism and the "American way" (not America as a country, mind you) is a comparison to hating people just because they're wealthy. We can envy the family that hangs out at the country club, but hate them?

MeteorsSox4367
09-01-2007, 11:41 AM
One of the previous posters said they can't root for any New York teams. I actually like the Rangers, but that's hockey. As for an ALCS of Boston and New York, I'll go with neither and hope there's some good college football games on those nights or maybe a Hawks' road game will be on.

I used to like the Red Sox way back when, but now...Nope. And I've always hated the Yankees.

PKalltheway
09-02-2007, 11:58 AM
I think I'll just watch the NLCS.