PDA

View Full Version : Cubune: "Wanted: Sox fans who can type." Offensive?

DrCrawdad
08-31-2007, 01:22 AM
The Cubune has this (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070830soxfancubicle,1,925931.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) topic...

Wanted: Sox fans who can type

August 30, 2007, 5:57 PM CDT

White Sox fans, we know you're out there. If any of you have the day off on Sept. 6 and 12 or are just out of work, we'd love to have you participate in ChicagoSports.com's first ever User Generated Cubicle.

Do you find this plays on stereotypes of Sox fans? Do you find it offensive?

cleanwsox
08-31-2007, 01:26 AM
The first time I read it I felt it was the old Cubune at it again. I guess I'm still not sure how I really feel about it though. The whole, "we know you are out there" line is pretty stupid and what the hell is a User Generated Cubicle anyways?

lakeviewsoxfan
08-31-2007, 01:32 AM
I am speechless.

IlliniSox4Life
08-31-2007, 02:07 AM
I don't take offense to this at all. They ARE looking for Sox fans who can type, and who are free for whatever reason, be it having the day off or not having a job on those two days. It's not like they said "we don't expect to find any body who is a Sox fan that can actually type, although we know most of you have the day off..."

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2007, 02:33 AM
I think they mean "type" as in, like secretary skills. Not just spelling the words correctly or being able to read. At least that's the impression I got. If you're doing play by play on a computer, you'd have to be able to type real fast.

BainesHOF
08-31-2007, 03:09 AM
In all seriousness, why would a Sox fan read the Tribune? I gave up on the paper a couple years ago.

tebman
08-31-2007, 08:46 AM
In all seriousness, why would a Sox fan read the Tribune? I gave up on the paper a couple years ago.

:thumbsup:

Risk
08-31-2007, 08:49 AM

Bingo. The last time I used the Tribune was to line the puppy's cage.

Risk

soxfan13
08-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Nope not offensive I list it as "who cares"

spiffie
08-31-2007, 09:41 AM
I buy the Trib about 1/2 the time because I like to read a paper on my lunch, and I totally refuse to give the Sun-Times another dime as long as the Windsock is on the payroll. He offends me to the point I would rather give the Trib my $0.50 than to support his paper in any way.

soxfan13
08-31-2007, 09:57 AM

I read both since I have a long train commute and I find the Trib is very good for "Real" news as opposed to Sun-Times gossipy type news. I do prefer the Times sports section over the Trib's IMO

ws05champs
08-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Sadly there are many people out there in all walks of life that really can't type. I include all those that use two fingers and hunt and peck as well as those who use texting abbreviations even when they are at a keyboard. Also if your typos are high, well that isn't typing either.

Chips
08-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Nope.

SOXPHILE
08-31-2007, 10:31 AM
I swears, when I opened the door of my trailer this morning, so I could go steal my neighbors paper, and I saw this, I was so pissed ! I popped open a can of beer, showed it to the ma of some of my kids, and then threw a lamp through a window ! When she was driving me over to get another tattoo today, (license still suspended with that whole DWI thing) , I couldn't get it out of my mind. I just my get somebody to write a letter to the Tribune for me about this.

chisoxmike
08-31-2007, 10:35 AM
I sent a e-mail applying, so I didn't think they were trying to slam Sox fans.

Iwritecode
08-31-2007, 10:38 AM
what the hell is a User Generated Cubicle anyways?

I'm assuming they are talking about their From the Cubicle "article" that they do on their website during day games for the Cubs and Sox.

They have 3 or 4 different staff members that they basically pay to sit in the basement, watch the game and type up what's happening as it happens. There's also a place where people can add their comments on the side during the game.

Edit: I guess if I read the article, it explains it...

We need you to man our world-renowned From the Cubicle (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cubicle/cs-070827soxcubicle,1,4634913.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines) play-by-play feature as the Sox play AL Central foes, the Tigers and Indians.

jdm2662
08-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Sadly there are many people out there in all walks of life that really can't type. I include all those that use two fingers and hunt and peck as well as those who use texting abbreviations even when they are at a keyboard. Also if your typos are high, well that isn't typing either.

You hit right on the button. I've been working in IT/Support for seven years. I worked for IBM some years ago. The people who have been there for years were amazed how fast I typed. Most of them were very slow/terrible typers. Asking who can type is a legit question. I would think you have to know to type fast if you are doing play-by-play.

And, if I didn't have a job, I'd apply in a heartbeat.

DrCrawdad
08-31-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm assuming they are talking about their From the Cubicle "article" that they do on their website during day games for the Cubs and Sox.

They have 3 or 4 different staff members that they basically pay to sit in the basement, watch the game and type up what's happening as it happens. There's also a place where people can add their comments on the side during the game.

Edit: I guess if I read the article, it explains it...

Another poll, do you read the "from the cubicle" stuff?

I do not. If I want game day stuff I tune in here at WSI.

itsnotrequired
08-31-2007, 10:51 AM

I read it when I remember to. Those guys are pretty funny.

jdm2662
08-31-2007, 10:55 AM
I read it when I remember to. Those guys are pretty funny.

I read it at times. They usually have some talented writers.

Iwritecode
08-31-2007, 11:12 AM

I do sometimes. For a while it seemed like every time I checked the WSI game thread they'd start losing. When I switched over to FTC, they'd start winning.

Besides that, it's much easier to read a recap of the entire game all on one page and immediately know what the score is and how the runs were scored rather than go through a couple hundred posts where many of them only consist of "Crap!" or "yes!".

DrCrawdad
08-31-2007, 12:46 PM
I do sometimes. For a while it seemed like every time I checked the WSI game thread they'd start losing. When I switched over to FTC, they'd start winning.

Besides that, it's much easier to read a recap of the entire game all on one page and immediately know what the score is and how the runs were scored rather than go through a couple hundred posts where many of them only consist of "Crap!" or "yes!".

I see what you're saying.

IF only there weren't more congratulatory high-5's and such in '07 Sox WSI game threads...

The Racehorse
08-31-2007, 12:52 PM
Chicago Tribune + bully pulpit = Cubune.

The headline & 'out of work' lines are subtle jabs. Nothing followed that implied that is was a good natured poke.

They can shove it.

DrCrawdad
08-31-2007, 01:08 PM
Chicago Tribune + bully pulpit = Cubune.

The headline & 'out of work' lines are subtle jabs. Nothing followed that implied that is was a good natured poke.

They can shove it.

That's how I see it too. You can bet that if questioned they'd respond by trying to turn the table: 'Why are you Sox fans sensitive about lack of education and unemployment...'

The Racehorse
08-31-2007, 01:27 PM
That's how I see it too. You can bet that if questioned they'd respond by trying to turn the table: 'Why are you Sox fans sensitive about lack of education and unemployment...'

Exactly.

And I'd turn it right back and ask, "why would any reasonable person not see the conflict of interest between the Tribune, Cubs & Sox.

I don't even live in or around Chicago, and even I can see the slant.

SBSoxFan
08-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Why are they doing this anyway? Is it because their journalists can't be bothered with a last place team? Will they all be watching the Cubs' game instead? Did they do this last year, or any of the many other years to chose from, when the Cubs were struggling?

TDog
08-31-2007, 01:56 PM

Maybe if you don't read the sports section. When I was a kid, you had to read the sports section to find out how how teams did -- if not yours at least the other teams. The sports section is a minor part of a newspaper and, for professional sports, it is becoming increasingly redundant. At my last newspaper, I only read the sport section when I was editing it and/or going over pages for mistakes. It's true that in doing so I sometimes had time to find out how the White Sox did before I had the chance to find out on my own at the end of my work day, but if I had to wait for the the paper to be delivered to my door, the sports page would offer nothing of interest to me. The same cannot be said for the other sections of a local newspaper.

What the Tribune is doing is trying to make their sports section relevant.

jenn2080
08-31-2007, 01:59 PM
:whocares:

Nellie_Fox
08-31-2007, 03:59 PM
When she was driving me over to get another tattoo today, (license still suspended with that whole DWI thing)You stopped driving just because of a revoked license? Phht. No real Sox fan would pay attention to that ****.

WSox597
08-31-2007, 09:46 PM
Sure would be nice if they finished JUST out of the money. I'd enjoy that very much. The look on their idiot faces when the billion dollar payroll comes up empty would be priceless.

Next seeing the Cubune "writers" choking on their words would be pretty good too.

My biggest problem with that team isn't the team so much, it's their asswipe fan base. What in the world makes them so arrogant? Their winning tradition? Their clown suit uniforms? Their nitwit yuppie drunks in the bleachers? I give up.

I don't buy either paper, if I feel the need to see the news I go to their web sites and get them for free. Free is what they're worth.

JB98
08-31-2007, 10:40 PM
Look at it this way: Any Sox fan who receives this opportunity can tee off on the Cubune on the Cubune's own Web site!

DrCrawdad
08-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Look at it this way: Any Sox fan who receives this opportunity can tee off on the Cubune on the Cubune's own Web site!

Now that is BRILLIANT!

cheezheadsoxfan
09-02-2007, 10:44 AM
I swears, when I opened the door of my trailer this morning, so I could go steal my neighbors paper, and I saw this, I was so pissed ! I popped open a can of beer, showed it to the ma of some of my kids, and then threw a lamp through a window ! When she was driving me over to get another tattoo today, (license still suspended with that whole DWI thing) , I couldn't get it out of my mind. I just my get somebody to write a letter to the Tribune for me about this.
:rolling: