PDA

View Full Version : Garcia has season ending surgery...

rdivaldi
08-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Wow, if you are either on the White Sox or were recently traded from the White Sox in the past year it has not been a good year for you. That trade looks awfully good now.

Linky (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-phillies-garcia&prov=ap&type=lgns)

spawn
08-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Why is this in the Sox Clubhouse? Garcia is a member of the Phillies.

rdivaldi
08-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Why is this in the Sox Clubhouse? Garcia is a member of the Phillies.

The trade involved players who are currently on our team. I actually debated on which forum to put it on, either way it is still a frustrating story.

palehozenychicty
08-30-2007, 04:09 PM
That trade looked good the day it was made. It's debatable whether Floyd will become any good, but getting rid of Garcia was a good move. He was out of shape on every level last year, and it's more obvious this year.

Hitmen77
08-30-2007, 04:23 PM
That trade looked good the day it was made. It's debatable whether Floyd will become any good, but getting rid of Garcia was a good move. He was out of shape on every level last year, and it's more obvious this year.

We also got Gio Gonzalez in the trade. He's the one to watch and may make this trade look like a total steal for the Sox in the end.

I wonder what team Freddy will end up on next year.

jabrch
08-30-2007, 04:24 PM
We also got Gio Gonzalez in the trade. He's the one to watch and may make this trade look like a total steal for the Sox in the end.

If we got absolutely nothing for Freddy, it was a 10mm steal. Anything else we get is gravy.

champagne030
08-30-2007, 04:32 PM

Who knows what we turned down from the Mets and Astros. Trade might have been much better had KW not thought so highly of Gavin.

Noneck
08-30-2007, 04:38 PM
This all looks a little weird to me. Garcia's velocity was down all last year. He did have good stats at end of end of year but velocity was still down. Is it possible the Sox knew he had this injury? I know a physical is part of trades but wonder how intensive the physical is . This kinda reminds me of the Sirotka -Wells deal. I never understood why Sirotka wasn't checked before the deal.

balke
08-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Another reason not to worry about the Iguchi trade. If the Sox did get shelled at all in that deal (Which they didn't) they at least owed it to the Phils to deal with them over the Mets or anyone else, based on this trade alone. The Phils have an open relationship with the Sox for trades, its a good idea not to make many deals with them like the Garcia one. IIRC this is why they won't be dealing much with Toronto anymore.

infohawk
08-30-2007, 05:03 PM
I never understood why Sirotka wasn't checked before the deal.
I'm pretty sure Sirotka had a physical. The White Sox also shared all their medical information on Sirotka. The torn labrum didn't show up until a second examination after the trade. The second examination included an MRI taken from a different angle that revealed the tear. The Blue Jays should have been more thorough, they knew it and, partly as a result of the situation, G.M. Gord Ash was eventually fired.

ssirish317
08-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Another reason not to worry about the Iguchi trade. If the Sox did get shelled at all in that deal (Which they didn't) they at least owed it to the Phils to deal with them over the Mets or anyone else, based on this trade alone. The Phils have an open relationship with the Sox for trades, its a good idea not to make many deals with them like the Garcia one.

Very good point. Had we not hooked them up with Iguchi, who last I checked was hitting over .300 for Philly since the trade, that bridge may have been burned.

Tragg
08-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Another reason not to worry about the Iguchi trade. If the Sox did get shelled at all in that deal (Which they didn't) they at least owed it to the Phils to deal with them over the Mets or anyone else, based on this trade alone. The Phils have an open relationship with the Sox for trades, its a good idea not to make many deals with them like the Garcia one. It evens out. Williams was reamed in trades a few times himself.

Giving players away cheap is like a make-up call in basketball - just makes things worse.

upperdeckusc
08-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Who knows what we turned down from the Mets and Astros. Trade might have been much better had KW not thought so highly of Gavin.

i highly doubt we could have gotten 2 pitchers from the mets or the astros who are doing as good as gio. i know floyd was mentioned as the main piece, but they did come together. if williams couldnt get gio, maybe that trade doesnt go thru. you still have to remember, we werent going to be getting THAT much in return for a pitcher in the last yr of a pretty big contract, can be laxadasical, and didn't throw hard. i was happy with the deal then 50% cuz of the money dump and 50% cuz of the potential of these 2 pitchers.

TDog
08-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Fortunately for Garcia, he was in the right place at the right time in October 2005.

When he was traded after the 2006 season, I was frankly surprised anyone wanted him.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2007, 09:04 PM
During 'shouldergate' Kenny was quoted as saying that he told Toronto he thought something was up with Sirotka and offered Parque instead. Toronto, he said, turned that down and insisted on Sirotka.

You can't stop someone from being stupid, Kenny was honest in the process. The Jays didn't due dilligence and it cost them.

Lip

Noneck
08-30-2007, 09:59 PM
During 'shouldergate' Kenny was quoted as saying that he told Toronto he thought something was up with Sirotka and offered Parque instead. Toronto, he said, turned that down and insisted on Sirotka.

You can't stop someone from being stupid, Kenny was honest in the process. The Jays didn't due dilligence and it cost them.

Lip

I hope the Garcia situation was similar to the Sirotka situation. The Sox have enough problems and don't need Williams to be perceived as a Maxwell Street trader.

palehozenychicty
08-31-2007, 09:53 AM

Which is why it looked good the day it was made. :D:

balke
08-31-2007, 09:58 AM
It evens out. Williams was reamed in trades a few times himself.

Giving players away cheap is like a make-up call in basketball - just makes things worse.

Yeah, the Sox won't be dealing with Oakland anytime soon. You don't understand the point that burning bridges with teams by trading injured players is not a good business practice. If the Sox gave Iguchi to the Mets for lets say, a AA prospect who is still a nobody, its not really a big deal. Iguchi wasn't going to bring much they way he was hitting, and with his contract. Might as well keep a good relationship going with the Phillies. Imagine if Iguchi were on the Mets now and they swept Philly in this last series and went on to do well in the playoffs. Don't you think Philly would look back and say something like "forget you Kenny"?

bafiarocks03
09-01-2007, 01:56 AM
Awwwwww poor Freddyy I miss him He's still my fav.

I loved him.