PDA

View Full Version : Jim Leyland has lost it.....

Oblong
08-30-2007, 12:30 PM
When Sheffield was placed on the DL they called up Timo Perez again. Leyland's been batting him third. The team is fighting for it's playoff life and the manager is batting Timo Perez third. Ryan Raburn was a callup from Toledo last month, he had a decent series against Chicago in that 5 game 4 day stretch, but apparantly that's not good enough for ol' Marlboro Man. Gotta go with the vet. Just like his Neifi Perez fetish. Maybe it's a Perez fetish.

Batting third... Timo Perez.

:angry:

UserNameBlank
08-30-2007, 12:31 PM
You're not alone. Our manager loved Timo a little too much as well.

DSpivack
08-30-2007, 01:09 PM
You're not alone. Our manager loved Timo a little too much as well.

I don't think he ever batted third on the south side...did he?

Rocky Soprano
08-30-2007, 01:21 PM

The problem is he batted at all.

salty99
08-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Timoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

DumpJerry
08-30-2007, 01:34 PM
So, where is Timo batting in the order?

DSpivack
08-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Timoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

How could I forget my fantasy team name in multiple seasons...Call Him Timoniel!

oeo
08-30-2007, 02:04 PM
When Sheffield was placed on the DL they called up Timo Perez again. Leyland's been batting him third. The team is fighting for it's playoff life and the manager is batting Timo Perez third. Ryan Raburn was a callup from Toledo last month, he had a decent series against Chicago in that 5 game 4 day stretch, but apparantly that's not good enough for ol' Marlboro Man. Gotta go with the vet. Just like his Neifi Perez fetish. Maybe it's a Perez fetish.

Batting third... Timo Perez.

:angry:

Timo's clutch. :tongue:

More evidence that every fan hates their manager's moves.

Foulke You
08-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow! 3rd in the lineup for Timo? Ozzie did have some Timo love but I believe he usually batted 8th, 9th, and once in a while, leadoff. I'm no expert but wouldn't that Magglio Ordonez guy be better suited for the #3 hole? :tongue:

Oblong
08-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Leyland has this theory that you stick guys in spots and keep them there. When others are out then the subs just go in that slot. But this is taking it to extremes. It's one thing to stick Marcus Thames, who has a good HR/AB ratio in the #3 slot instead of Sheffield.

That's why he won't move Maggs to 3 and Guillen to 4. He's afraid it'll disrupt things. Ideally I'd like to have Granderson moved to #3. It's time.

jabrch
08-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Funny...Funny because I don't give a damn about the Tigers. If there were a way for the Tigers, Indians and Twins to all lose every game the rest of the way, and the freaking ROYALS to win the division, that would be my second best preference to the Sox winning. I'm not sure who is more obnoxious - Tigers fans talking about the great Rick Porcello, Indians fans crowing about Travis Hafner's awesomeness or Twins fans who smell in general.*

*I'm so tired of this baseball season. When do pitchers and catchers report?

chaerulez
08-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Leyland has this theory that you stick guys in spots and keep them there. When others are out then the subs just go in that slot. But this is taking it to extremes. It's one thing to stick Marcus Thames, who has a good HR/AB ratio in the #3 slot instead of Sheffield.

That's why he won't move Maggs to 3 and Guillen to 4. He's afraid it'll disrupt things. Ideally I'd like to have Granderson moved to #3. It's time.

That's kind of funny because I use that theory when playing baseball games on X-Box. Except I even I make exceptions when my slugger is sitting down and a Timo Perez like guy replaces him.

There is no good reason to have Timo bat third. What if it's a close game and there are 2 outs in the 9th and Timo's spot is up? A pinch hitter can be used, but still Mags and Gullien aren't an option.

Chips
08-30-2007, 02:50 PM

I don't recall him hitting 3rd, but I do remember him leading off as DH.

The Immigrant
08-30-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure who is more obnoxious - Tigers fans talking about the great Rick Porcello, Indians fans crowing about Travis Hafner's awesomeness or Twins fans who smell in general.

:kneeslap:

:gulp:

Oblong
08-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Funny...Funny because I don't give a damn about the Tigers. If there were a way for the Tigers, Indians and Twins to all lose every game the rest of the way, and the freaking ROYALS to win the division, that would be my second best preference to the Sox winning. I'm not sure who is more obnoxious - Tigers fans talking about the great Rick Porcello, Indians fans crowing about Travis Hafner's awesomeness or Twins fans who smell in general.*

*I'm so tired of this baseball season. When do pitchers and catchers report?

Sorry to have made you read this.

palehozenychicty
08-30-2007, 03:08 PM

Don't be, because as everyone knows, it's the talking baseball forum. Read at your own peril.

Mercy!
08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Of course, I've gotta say it:

"Come on Timo. Come on Timo"

voodoochile
08-30-2007, 03:35 PM

He's allowed to rant if he wants to. You don't want to read Sox fans ranting about how much they hate the other AL teams their fans and this season in general, feel free to go post somewhere else.

And no, I'm not banning you and I don't dislike you as a poster. I actually think you add some interesting points to the site, but WSI will always first and foremost remain a Sox fans site. As the motto states quite clearly we are:

Totally biased
Utterly Petty
Completely unobjective

Oblong
08-30-2007, 04:16 PM
He's allowed to rant if he wants to. You don't want to read Sox fans ranting about how much they hate the other AL teams their fans and this season in general, feel free to go post somewhere else.

And no, I'm not banning you and I don't dislike you as a poster. I actually think you add some interesting points to the site, but WSI will always first and foremost remain a Sox fans site. As the motto states quite clearly we are:

Totally biased
Utterly Petty
Completely unobjective

I understand that. I don't come in here and talk about the Tigers all the time. The only reason I posted this was because Timo used to play for the Sox and I thought you guys would find it interesting and amusing. For the most part I try to limit my Tiger talk to cases where I'm specifically asked something or if somebody else started a thread, like the Porcello signing.

It didn't bother me that he said he hates other AL central teams, it just puzzled me as to why he'd say that in a forum about baseball in general. Isn't that the point?

Time to go drink some Stella.

soltrain21
08-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Ryan Raburn was a callup from Toledo last month, he had a decent series against Chicago in that 5 game 4 day stretch,

I remember him having a series that was much better than "decent." That guy destroyed us that series.

TimoPerez
08-30-2007, 08:23 PM
I told you all that I would be back.

FloridaTigers
08-30-2007, 08:26 PM

Not yet. I like how Grandy is a leadoff guy. His abilities for extra bases and a bit of power tremendously sets up for Polanco to drive him in. I think he'll be a good #3, but until Sheffield retires/Maybin develops, I say the Tigs gotta keep him in.

And yeah, this Timo crap is getting old fast. It wouldn't be so bad if Raburn wasn't being completely ignored.

But he said "I don't give a damn" or whatever, as if he was being forced to read this topic. Why didn't he just ignore it?

champagne030
08-30-2007, 11:15 PM

Don't worry he's giving a nice shine to his 2007 Executive of the Year trophy for a one, Williams, Kenneth.

FarWestChicago
09-01-2007, 07:48 AM
Don't worry he's giving a nice shine to his 2007 Executive of the Year trophy for a one, Williams, Kenneth.OK, so you hate every player on the Sox and Bears; and now it extends to management. So, what team are you actually a fan of? :dunno:

southside rocks
09-01-2007, 08:56 AM

My dirty little secret ... I like the Tigers. I enjoy watching them, I like the uniforms and the stadium (from what I've seen of it, I'm going there next summer to see a game), I respect the hell out of Jim Leyland, I like most of the players, and I've even come to appreciate Pudge Rodriguez and Justin Verlander, whom I once thought were the most arrogant human beings ever. I think Curtis Granderson is fantastic and I think baseball needs more guys like Sean Casey. I'd kill to have Guillen and Polanco on the White Sox, too.

I loathe the Twins (for so many reasons) and I dislike the Indians mostly because of their fans (can't fill the ballpark for a winning team, boo Jim Thome -- they are losers IMO), but I like the Tigers.

I kind of don't understand why they let Craig Monroe go, though. Was there 'more to the story' as there was with Dmitri Young? :?: Monroe just seemed to me to be having a tough year. And now he's on the Cubs, poor guy.

ode to veeck
09-01-2007, 08:56 AM
The sad thing is Timo batting 3rd for the current Whie Sox might even be an improvement

Oblong
09-01-2007, 09:13 AM

I kind of don't understand why they let Craig Monroe go, though. Was there 'more to the story' as there was with Dmitri Young? :?: Monroe just seemed to me to be having a tough year. And now he's on the Cubs, poor guy.

I don't think there was anything like that. He just wasn't producing. He was hitting .222 with an OBP of .264. That BA was helped by a May which saw him hit .280 with 7 HR. 4 homers the rest of the months. He and Thames are essentially the same player. With Raburn coming up and sparking things as well as their belief that Cameron Maybin won't learn anything else in the minors, then there was no room to carry him.

But as far as Monroe's attitude, the teammates liked him.

Now watch him make the playoffs with the Cubs and the Tigers get shut out.

kevin57
09-01-2007, 09:14 AM
The sad thing is Timo batting 3rd for the current Whie Sox might even be an improvement

The sad fact is given the BAs of our lineup, this statement is not incorrect. :whiner:

southside rocks
09-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Now watch him make the playoffs with the Cubs and the Tigers get shut out.

Bite your tongue! :o:

That Maybin's a good-looking kid. Is he a product of the Tigers farm system; did they draft him?

The Immigrant
09-01-2007, 10:51 AM
That Maybin's a good-looking kid. Is he a product of the Tigers farm system; did they draft him?

He was the first overall pick in 2005, just a year after they picked Verlander first overall. There are some benefits to sucking, I guess.

soxfan13
09-01-2007, 11:13 AM
OK, so you hate every player on the Sox and Bears; and now it extends to management. So, what team are you actually a fan of? :dunno:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1f/Chicago_Enforcers_Logo.svg/351px-Chicago_Enforcers_Logo.svg.png (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1f/Chicago_Enforcers_Logo.svg)

ma-gaga
09-01-2007, 12:37 PM
It didn't bother me that he said he hates other AL central teams, it just puzzled me as to why he'd say that in a forum about baseball in general.

ahh... I thought his rant was great (and he called me "smelly"). The moral here, is to know your posters. Jabrch knows his ****, and I appreciate his takes even if they are slightly offensive to other AL Central teams.

:cool:

FloridaTigers
09-01-2007, 12:53 PM
He was the first overall pick in 2005, just a year after they picked Verlander first overall. There are some benefits to sucking, I guess.

Actually, Maybin was drafted with the 10th pick in the 1st round. Its not like we got the top pick out of everyone.

champagne030
09-01-2007, 01:14 PM
OK, so you hate every player on the Sox and Bears; and now it extends to management. So, what team are you actually a fan of? :dunno:

Once again, I don't hate every player on the Bears and Sox, and again, you put words into my mouth. You ask me if I've ever been happy and I give you an example. You turn that into that's the only time I've ever been happy.

Sorry I can't turn **** into brownies with Masset, Aardsma, Sisco, Floyd, Grinderstad, Pods.....I don't worship the ground that Lovie, Kenneth and Oswaldo walk. I guess that's my fault in life. :cool:

jabrch
09-01-2007, 11:16 PM
ahh... I thought his rant was great (and he called me "smelly"). The moral here, is to know your posters. Jabrch knows his ****, and I appreciate his takes even if they are slightly offensive to other AL Central teams.

:cool:

In your case gaga - "smelly" is a term of endearment. :-)

cards press box
09-02-2007, 11:57 AM
I've always been o.k. with the Tigers and their fans. It has been Indians and Twins fans (especially Twins fans) who have been "over the top" confrontational during the past few years. The Twins fans are still upset about MLB's proposed contraction a few years ago and for some twisted reason decided that the White Sox and Sox fans were to blame. Go figure.

And while we are on the subject, what has gotten into Red Sox fans? I've watched the Red Sox come to town for years and I used to enjoy talking with the Boston fans in attendance. When did the most obnoxious aspects of Yankee and Cub fandom take over the Boston faithful? Is this the Bosox version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

FloridaTigers
09-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Season over.

****ing season over.

Tired of it. I just hope we don't go the same way of the 2007 White Sox.

cwsfannick
09-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Season over.

****ing season over.

Tired of it. I just hope we don't go the same way of the 2007 White Sox.

Much closer to the 2006 version of the Sox than the 2007.

Sockinchisox
09-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Much closer to the 2006 version of the Sox than the 2007.

I think he means he hopes they don't follow our path of missing the playoffs this year and then crumble completely the next year.

jabrch
09-02-2007, 11:41 PM
The 2007 White Sox are two years removed from a WS. Many of the players go home to their WS rings.

Many of the 2008 Detroit Tigers weren't even alive when their team last won a WS.

Freaking joke - Tigers fans have this sudden overinflated undeserved sense of self-worth. 3 seasons over .500 in the past 15 years puts them on par with the Royals and the Pirates. Yanks fans annoy the **** out of me - but they have 26 rings. The Tigers? My gosh - that's INSANE that these people are allowed to be arrogant. Their franchise has been an asspimple for so long. I'm sure they will be back their soon - despite their owner spending like a drunken sailor on shore leave. At the end of the day, it is still Detroit.

Ever been there? See what I mean?

FloridaTigers
09-03-2007, 02:33 AM
The 2007 White Sox are two years removed from a WS. Many of the players go home to their WS rings.

Many of the 2008 Detroit Tigers weren't even alive when their team last won a WS.

Freaking joke - Tigers fans have this sudden overinflated undeserved sense of self-worth. 3 seasons over .500 in the past 15 years puts them on par with the Royals and the Pirates. Yanks fans annoy the **** out of me - but they have 26 rings. The Tigers? My gosh - that's INSANE that these people are allowed to be arrogant. Their franchise has been an asspimple for so long. I'm sure they will be back their soon - despite their owner spending like a drunken sailor on shore leave. At the end of the day, it is still Detroit.

Where is our arrogance? All I ever hear from Sox fans on this board is how we're among the better fans in the division.

And after thinking things through, Tigers still got a chance. But I'm losing optimsm fast. It was just a gut punch yesterday, that loss. I'm hoping for a miracle comeback.

Grzegorz
09-03-2007, 05:08 AM

I'll take the Tigers farm system over the Chicago White Sox farm system.

Maybe they spend in the short term because they feel they've hedged in the long term.

Oblong
09-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Many of the Tiger fans just haven't gotten used to the marathon baseball season. The think it's like basketball and hockey where all you have to be is decent to make the playoffs or like the NFL or college football where one game has tremendous impact on post season impoications.

All I ask for as a fan where baseball is my #1 favorite sport is meaningful games in September and a decent farm system to provide hope for next year. I don't think it would be fun to be a Yankee or Red Sox fan where thre's so much pressure to win the world series.

At the beginning of the year I said that I'd be happy with a season like the 2006 White Sox. In the hunt until the final couple of weeks. The 90 wins may be asking too much at this point though.

As for the spending: Dombrowski said it best regarding the high payouts to the draftees. They know they can't compete in the overseas market. They know that the free agent market has too many variables out of their control. So they decided to direct their resources to an area where they feel confident in their abilities compared to other clubs and that's amatuer scouting. He's brought in guys that were with him in Montreal and Florida. The total cost per year is the cost of a veteran. I still say it's chump change and worth the risk.

jabrch
09-03-2007, 09:52 AM
I'll take the Tigers farm system over the Chicago White Sox farm system.

Maybe they spend in the short term because they feel they've hedged in the long term.

Let's compare apples to apples.... How many top 10 picks have the Sox had in the past 10 years? How many top 10 and even top 5 picks have the Tigers had? Before last season the Tigers haven't broken .500 since 1993. They damn well better have talent in their farm system - failing to build a farm while being one of the worst franchises in baseball for over 10 years would be ridiculous. The Sox haven't finished worse than third in the division since 1992 and have won 80 games or more in 10 of the past 11 seasons.

Screw Detroit. Thet can kiss my ass. Two freaking good years in part because they took major risks on two very injured players (Pudge and Greedy-O) that nearly no other team was willing to discuss long term contracts with and in part because of guys who they drafted in the top 5 and they start blowing their horns about how great they are?

Take your Porcello and your Maybin and go back to your filthy sewer of a city. Disgusting craphole.*

I'm so freaking tired* of hearing about these crappy cities and their teams that have sucked so bad for so long in the central (Detroit and Cleveland) thinking they have any right to be talked about in the same breath as Chicago. At least Minneapolis is a nice place and the people (while smelly) are nice, and the Twins are regularly winners.

But Cleveland and Detroit?

Really - Screw em.

* This season sucks. When do Pitchers and Catchers report?

Grzegorz
09-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Let's compare apples to apples.... How many top 10 picks have the Sox had in the past 10 years? How many top 10 and even top 5 picks have the Tigers had? Before last season the Tigers haven't broken .500 since 1993. They damn well better have talent in their farm system - failing to build a farm while being one of the worst franchises in baseball for over 10 years would be ridiculous. The Sox haven't finished worse than third in the division since 1992 and have won 80 games or more in 10 of the past 11 seasons.

I agree with you that the Tigers have had some nice opportunities to pick talent. My point is that the Detroit Tigers have some leverage that the Chicago White Sox do not.

This unavoidable fact makes Kenny Williams job that much more difficult.

This season sucks. When do Pitchers and Catchers report?

Not soon enough my friend, not soon enough...

jabrch
09-03-2007, 10:46 AM
My point is that the Detroit Tigers have some leverage that the Chicago White Sox do not.

It's not leverage so much as it is a willingness to take a series of outrageous risks that would bury the franchise if a few of them failed at the same time.

They bought Greedy-O and Pudge when nearly every other franchise passed on them. They took a shot at Steroidfield when nobody would even give up a second tier prospect or two for him.

When the Sox take risks like this they do it at a very low cost - (Erstad and Thome) so that if they are busts, they have the resources to remain in competition. (in general) The Tigers were so desperate to get our of the celler (where they have been for years) that they were willing to go against the grain and pay OrDOPEz crazy money without even seeing medical records and be the only team to give Pudge (tiny pudge) a multi-year deal.

Really - screw em.

Myrtle72
09-03-2007, 10:46 AM

Eh, don't feel bad... I think we're all bitter about the way the White Sox have been playing this season.

I personally feel a bit of comfort knowing that the Sox aren't the only team with a few problems this year. :D: Misery loves company!

ma-gaga
09-03-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm so freaking tired* of hearing about these crappy cities and their teams that have sucked so bad for so long in the central (Detroit and Cleveland) thinking they have any right to be talked about in the same breath as Chicago.

:roflmao:

I nominate Jabrch for "Post of the Year".

Does WSI still do that???

The Immigrant
09-04-2007, 07:54 AM
I love epic rants.

:worship:

Jurr
09-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Timo "'roids" Perez is back. Man, oh man is he awesome.

pierzynski07
09-07-2007, 05:29 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/FLO/FLO200206020.shtml

Batting third, and he still had a sacrifice bunt.

Oblong
09-08-2007, 07:58 AM
BTW, Timo's batting .394 with the parent club this year.

pearso66
09-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Wow, I actually feel like I have to say something about Detroit fans. I had 0 problems with Detroit fans when I was up at MSU for 4 years. They all seemed pretty level headed. Granted I never went to a Tiger game in Detroit, but I did go to a Lions game. And they gave me no grief over being a Bears fan surrounded by Lions fans.

Sure some of Detroit is the dump that Jabrch mentions, but the part by Ford Field and Comerica is actually pretty nice (even though it's only a few blocks). And if you go just outside the city limits, it gets pretty nice.

As for the Tigers, I hated them in 2000 after the big brawl, but most of those players are gone, and they've become my 3rd favorite team, far behind the Sox, and just behind the Cardinals.

ok back to the topic at hand. Timo shouldn't be batting 3rd, but at this point, it wouldn't hurt to have him back on the Sox. It's not like we are playing all the young guys anyway.

FloridaTigers
09-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Timo has really gone insane. He's making diving catches, walkoff hits, and is just really seeing the ball well. Amazing.

Ex-Chicagoan
09-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Sure some of Detroit is the dump that Jabrch mentions, but the part by Ford Field and Comerica is actually pretty nice (even though it's only a few blocks). And if you go just outside the city limits, it gets pretty nice.

But there are no dumpy areas in Chicago.