PDA

View Full Version : Question?

LITTLE NELL
08-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Does anyone know exactly what goes on when a pitcher is going to throw a simulated game? Ive been a fan for 54 years but damn if I know. I have an idea but Im not sure.

skottyj242
08-30-2007, 01:49 PM
A simulated game consists primarily of a pitcher, a catcher, and someone who stands in the batter's box with the bat on his shoulder. In some cases it may also require an umpire to call balls & strikes. The "batter" never swings but is only there to present the presence of a hitter. The pitcher then throws to the catcher in a situation not much different from what we did as kids throwing a whiffle ball against a netting backstop or a tennis ball against the garage door.

In a simulated game, the pitcher is likely on a strict pitch count. In the case of a pitcher throwing a certain number of "innings", it's possible that they're considering each batter as having walked after 4 balls or been struck out after 3 strikes. Three strikeouts, of course, equal an inning.
However a simulated game may be conducted, the point is to get the pitcher some work in which they will simulate throwing certain pitches in certain locations, perhaps in certain counts. It's different from throwing off the mound which is just an attempt to build up arm strength. A simulated game is an opportunity for a rehabbing pitcher to regain precision before facing live competition.

UserNameBlank
08-30-2007, 01:53 PM
^And I believe they use "baserunners" at times too, although I don't think they score unless Contreras is doing the sim.

LITTLE NELL
08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
A simulated game consists primarily of a pitcher, a catcher, and someone who stands in the batter's box with the bat on his shoulder. In some cases it may also require an umpire to call balls & strikes. The "batter" never swings but is only there to present the presence of a hitter. The pitcher then throws to the catcher in a situation not much different from what we did as kids throwing a whiffle ball against a netting backstop or a tennis ball against the garage door.

In a simulated game, the pitcher is likely on a strict pitch count. In the case of a pitcher throwing a certain number of "innings", it's possible that they're considering each batter as having walked after 4 balls or been struck out after 3 strikes. Three strikeouts, of course, equal an inning.
However a simulated game may be conducted, the point is to get the pitcher some work in which they will simulate throwing certain pitches in certain locations, perhaps in certain counts. It's different from throwing off the mound which is just an attempt to build up arm strength. A simulated game is an opportunity for a rehabbing pitcher to regain precision before facing live competition.
Thanks for the info, I had a inkling but I didnt know how involved it got.