PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Brett Myers rips reporter.

It's Time
08-29-2007, 02:29 AM
http://www.bugsandcranks.com/philadelphia-phillies/brett-myers-blows-the-game-screams-obscenities-at-reporter/ (http://www.bugsandcranks.com/philadelphia-phillies/brett-myers-blows-the-game-screams-obscenities-at-reporter/)

JAG!!:o:

WhiteSoxFan84
08-29-2007, 04:41 AM
http://warroomreport.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/ryanleaf.jpg
"What? Why the **** is he yelling at the reporter for? ****ing dumbass pitcher! Why! *******!"

Myers is a reaaallll tough guy isn't he. Reportedly beats his wife and now calls a report a "retard" and goes off on him. The guy has a serious problem. Listen to how he goes from somewhat calm to extremely angry within 5 seconds.

Soxfanspcu11
08-29-2007, 04:46 AM
http://warroomreport.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/ryanleaf.jpg
"What? Why the **** is he yelling at the reporter for? ****ing dumbass pitcher! Why! *******!"

Myers is a reaaallll tough guy isn't he. Reportedly beats his wife and now calls a report a "retard" and goes off on him. The guy has a serious problem. Listen to how he goes from somewhat calm to extremely angry within 5 seconds.

I agree, but I do think that it is time to update your Sig!!!

Not that I have room to talk! I haven't even "uploaded" my picture yet (99.9% of the reason is because I have no idea how!!! lol).

But the difference is, I don't have a date in mine! 07-07-07 was kind of awhile ago!!!:tongue:

SOXPHILE
08-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Brett Myers is a walking piece of feces. I'm pretty much echoing what everyone else here, and on the Score is saying: The reporter should have responded by saying something like "I thought you only beat up women ?" I know some of these reporters can be pretty arrogant and ask dumb questions, but alot of these athletes are arrogant asses too.

One of my favorite stories on something like this that happened years ago, involved the late football writer Will McDonough. He was in the Patriots locker room tyring to interview someone, and one of the other Patriot players shoved him out of the way, swearing at him and telling him to get out of there (Raymond Clayborn ?). McDonough stood up to him, the player threatened to beat him up, and McDonough punched him right in the face and knocked him over. Brett Myers could use some of that.....

goon
08-29-2007, 01:48 PM
I don't like Brett Myers, I don't know how anyone who isn't a Phillies fan could. Though I think it would be interesting to see a journalist, just one time, say the wrong smart ass comment and get knocked out. This isn't one of those situations, obviously Myers was way out of line, but do you really think that reporter would have called him an "idiot" if there weren't other media members around? For instance, recall the Jim Everett/Jim Rome confrontation, Rome stepped over the line and paid the price, it could have been a lot worse. They're all *******s.

TDog
08-29-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't like Brett Myers, I don't know how anyone who isn't a Phillies fan could. Though I think it would be interesting to see a journalist, just one time, say the wrong smart ass comment and get knocked out. This isn't one of those situations, obviously Myers was way out of line, but do you really think that reporter would have called him an "idiot" if there weren't other media members around? For instance, recall the Jim Everett/Jim Rome confrontation, Rome stepped over the line and paid the price, it could have been a lot worse. They're all *******s.

I would love to see a Cubs player knock out a reporter. The suspension would be long and the appeal would be expedited. No smart-ass comment ever justifies physical retaliation.

However, criminal charges and a tort action following physical retaliation for a smart-ass remark would be justified.

MUsoxfan
08-29-2007, 02:51 PM
I would love to see a Cubs player knock out a reporter. The suspension would be long and the appeal would be expedited. No smart-ass comment ever justifies physical retaliation.

However, criminal charges and a tort action following physical retaliation for a smart-ass remark would be justified.

I'm not sure. I've said some things in the past where I deserved to get my ass kicked. I didn't, but if I had....it would have been justified:cool:

thomas35forever
08-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Wow, as far as the profanities go, Lee Elia, eat your heart out. I never knew Brett Myers was this big of a douchebag until now. I hope I never see him in a White Sox uniform.

soxinem1
08-29-2007, 03:11 PM
For a supposed stud starter to had to be banished to the pen just to get someting from him, he has no means to say anything.

Most closers in the same situation admit they made an mistake, or even credit the hitter fr hitting a good pitch.

But this juvenille yahoo just seems to be waiting to explode, and he is one of the reasons that PHI cannot win their division. As a closer he is useless to them, because starting depth is very, very lacking in Philly.

Myers is just a classless dick. I can't wait until all the 'Reasons the Phillies Didn't make The playoffs' lists come out at the end of the year. His failures as a pitcher and human being will be the top reasons.

Mercy!
08-30-2007, 05:09 PM
...The reporter should have responded by saying something like "I thought you only beat up women ?"...
That would have been a five star response (and probably guaranteed to initiate physical mayhem). But you'll have to admit that "How do you spell 'retard'?" was pretty sharp, too.

Rockin Robin
08-30-2007, 06:14 PM
That reporter asking Meyers how to spell retarded is one of the funniest things i've ever heard.

goon
08-30-2007, 06:40 PM

I don't agree with that at all. I'm not defending Myers, but the only reason that reporter got away with what he said was because there were a number of journalists in the room, between him and Myers...and the reporter knew that. I highly doubt that guy, or Jim Rome or Mariotti or any other brash journalist would go toe to toe with an athlete, but it's okay for these supposedly "well-educated" and "civilized" members of the media to personally insult them? Myers is a dick, no doubt, but the reporter came off like a dick, too, saying that he knew the hits were home runs. What? Do you expect the guy to be flawless? To never make mistakes? What do you know about being a major league pitcher? It's a lot easier to criticize someone for giving up big plays, than to actually put yourself in their position.

It just seems like the media always try to make themselves the victims in these kind of stories, yet they egg on players, managers, etc. One time, I'd like to see a smart ass reporter get put in his place.

TDog
08-30-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't agree with that at all. I'm not defending Myers, but the only reason that reporter got away with what he said was because there were a number of journalists in the room, between him and Myers...and the reporter knew that. I highly doubt that guy, or Jim Rome or Mariotti or any other brash journalist would go toe to toe with an athlete, but it's okay for these supposedly "well-educated" and "civilized" members of the media to personally insult them? Myers is a dick, no doubt, but the reporter came off like a dick, too, saying that he knew the hits were home runs. What? Do you expect the guy to be flawless? To never make mistakes? What do you know about being a major league pitcher? It's a lot easier to criticize someone for giving up big plays, than to actually put yourself in their position.

It just seems like the media always try to make themselves the victims in these kind of stories, yet they egg on players, managers, etc. One time, I'd like to see a smart ass reporter get put in his place.

Of course it's OK to insult people. It may be rude. It may be regarded as bad form. But if you're a professional athlete, it goes with the territory. I've seen days were Darrin Erstad has the highest batting average in the Sox lineup, and people in the game thread insult him constantly, even implying he's a lousy excuse for a human being. If you're a professional athlete who really is a lousy excuse for a human being, you can't even argue that the insults aren't justified.

If a player responds with insults, that's OK, too. If a player responds by inflicting physical harm on the reporter, that isn't OK. It is a criminal act to hit someone in response to an insult. It also opens up one for tort liability. In the case of a professional athlete, it could lead to suspension. Joe Falls wasn't injured when Denny McLain doused him with cold water, but McLain still got suspended.

There are writers/commentators/reporters (whatever they want to call themselves) who I strongly dislike. But the only time I would like to see an athlete retaliate to their insults with physical force is if both the athlete and the insulter were people I despised. It would probably hurt the player more than the person he "put in his place."

goon
08-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Of course it's OK to insult people. It may be rude. It may be regarded as bad form. But if you're a professional athlete, it goes with the territory. I've seen days were Darrin Erstad has the highest batting average in the Sox lineup, and people in the game thread insult him constantly, even implying he's a lousy excuse for a human being. If you're a professional athlete who really is a lousy excuse for a human being, you can't even argue that the insults aren't justified.

If a player responds with insults, that's OK, too. If a player responds by inflicting physical harm on the reporter, that isn't OK. It is a criminal act to hit someone in response to an insult. It also opens up one for tort liability. In the case of a professional athlete, it could lead to suspension. Joe Falls wasn't injured when Denny McLain doused him with cold water, but McLain still got suspended.

There are writers/commentators/reporters (whatever they want to call themselves) who I strongly dislike. But the only time I would like to see an athlete retaliate to their insults with physical force is if both the athlete and the insulter were people I despised. It would probably hurt the player more than the person he "put in his place."

Right, but how are most physical fights started? By words, of course, no one just gets hit out of the blue and then retaliates. Someone usually says something offensive or insensitive, they persist and don't let it go, then punches are thrown. People talking about Darrin Erstad in a gamethread is one thing or to heckle him at a game, it's another to see him on the street and then to start degrading him. If you think it's okay to do that because he is a "professional athlete", and he makes a lot of money, then we are just going to have to disagree.

Is fighting okay? No, usually not, but neither is saying whatever you want when you want. Maybe I'm old school like that (I'm only 23) but bringing up what is criminal is going to lead into an entirely different conversation and just because something is a law doesn't mean it is morally acceptable. Also, it's a bit difficult for athletes to verbally insult or quip reporters because really what can you say to them? "You're last article sucked." One athlete is put in the spotlight and has to respond to dozens, in some cases, hundreds of faceless reporters and all you can really say is, "that's a dumb question." Though, if you say something like that you are labeled as a jerk or uncooperative.

You are right though, a player would definitely get the raw end of the deal if a physical altercation developed. Yet, I can't help but think about what happened with Jim Rome and how it just thoroughly embarrassed the guy and made him look like a total wimp in front of National television. I would say that was worth it from Jim Everett's perspective, even if he had to deal with a lawsuit.

soxwon
08-30-2007, 07:47 PM
never heard of him!!!
I dont follow that inferior league!!!

TheOldRoman
08-30-2007, 07:49 PM
For instance, recall the Jim Everett/Jim Rome confrontation, Rome stepped over the line and paid the price, it could have been a lot worse. They're all *******s.
The Rome/Everett thing was bull. It was 100% staged.

goon
08-30-2007, 08:02 PM
The Rome/Everett thing was bull. It was 100% staged.

haha, I never knew that. That's pretty funny.

TDog
08-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Right, but how are most physical fights started? By words, of course, no one just gets hit out of the blue and then retaliates. Someone usually says something offensive or insensitive, they persist and don't let it go, then punches are thrown. People talking about Darrin Erstad in a gamethread is one thing or to heckle him at a game, it's another to see him on the street and then to start degrading him. If you think it's okay to do that because he is a "professional athlete", and he makes a lot of money, then we are just going to have to disagree.

Is fighting okay? No, usually not, but neither is saying whatever you want when you want. Maybe I'm old school like that (I'm only 23) but bringing up what is criminal is going to lead into an entirely different conversation and just because something is a law doesn't mean it is morally acceptable. Also, it's a bit difficult for athletes to verbally insult or quip reporters because really what can you say to them? "You're last article sucked." One athlete is put in the spotlight and has to respond to dozens, in some cases, hundreds of faceless reporters and all you can really say is, "that's a dumb question." Though, if you say something like that you are labeled as a jerk or uncooperative.

You are right though, a player would definitely get the raw end of the deal if a physical altercation developed. Yet, I can't help but think about what happened with Jim Rome and how it just thoroughly embarrassed the guy and made him look like a total wimp in front of National television. I would say that was worth it from Jim Everett's perspective, even if he had to deal with a lawsuit.

But the law, criminal and civil, is what you have to deal with. It doesn't matter whether you are a professional athlete. Physical force is not justifiable in response to words alone.

goon
08-30-2007, 08:29 PM
But the law, criminal and civil, is what you have to deal with. It doesn't matter whether you are a professional athlete. Physical force is not justifiable in response to words alone.

I totally agree man, in fact that's kind of what I was saying, at least in regard to your first two sentences. Though the point I was trying to make was I don't think there are any rules set in stone about the proper etiquette in dealing with a verbal confrontation. In most instances violence or physical aggression is not the answer, but there are certainly cases where I empathize with those who do fight back with there fists because the person is the verbal aggressor steps WAY over the line. In no way to I advocate violence as a solution to every putdown or insult, but it definitely seems at times like some reporters think they are invincible to any kind of backlash, whether it be verbal or physical.