PDA

View Full Version : A Modest September Proposal

SluggersAway
08-29-2007, 12:03 AM
I suggest:

We start Gio, Egbert, Phillips, Haeger, and Broadway for the rest of the season.

And, put the starters in the bullpen.

What do we have to lose? Nothing.

What do we have to gain? A little major league experience for minor leaguers and much more exciting ball for the fans.

As for punishment for the starters this year, bring up anyone to replace Uribe for the rest of the season.

rdivaldi
08-29-2007, 12:07 AM
I suggest:

We start Gio, Egbert, Phillips, Haeger, and Broadway for the rest of the season.

What do we have to gain? A little major league experience for minor leaguers and much more exciting ball for the fans.

As for punishment for the starters this year, bring up anyone to replace Uribe for the rest of the season.

:thud:

I wouldn't even know where to start...

kittle42
08-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Haven't we already figured out Haeger stinks?

SluggersAway
08-29-2007, 12:14 AM
Come on, losing 10-1, like we did to the Red Sox, every night is exactly what this team needs.

soxfanreggie
08-29-2007, 07:16 AM
I wouldn't mind calling up some talent to see what they can do, in addition to all the players we have up here already, but I wouldn't screw up MB, Vaz, or Garland's preparation. If you want to give them a day off or pitch a sixth starter once in a while, that's fine, but rather they send down some of these relievers to make room for extra pitchers.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-29-2007, 08:07 AM
I don't think it's a modest proposal; it's an insane proposal. Assuming Danks sticks, and Garland isn't traded, the Sox will be looking for one starter next year. It's probably Floyd's to lose, but it can be sorted out in spring training. For most of the season, the starting pitching has been adequate. Relegating your starters to the pen accomplishes nothing. Aside from Contreras, which starter hasn't earned his next start? Not based on his last game, but on the season?

balke
08-29-2007, 08:13 AM
They'll call these guys up when they are ready. No need to rush AAA or AA up just because the fans HAVE to see everyone play now. They'll get called up when its their time.

skottyj242
08-29-2007, 10:11 AM
I suggest:

I didn't buy tickets to see those guys pitch.

chisoxmike
08-29-2007, 10:15 AM

Yeah! That'll show 'em!

jabrch
08-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Haven't we already figured out Haeger stinks?

No

misty60481
08-29-2007, 10:32 AM
I agree with scottyj242 if I pay full price for my ticket I want major league players on the field.

Jerko
08-29-2007, 10:43 AM
I agree with scottyj242 if I pay full price for my ticket I want major league players on the field.

I 2nd misty and 3rd skotty. I know the boys are getting their asses handed to them but I'd go to charlotte if I wanted to see the Knights.

chisoxmike
08-29-2007, 10:54 AM

I 2nd misty and 3rd skotty. I know the boys are getting their asses handed to them but I'd go to charlotte if I wanted to see the Knights.

I didn't buy tickets to see those guys pitch.

I echo the statements that if the Charlotte Knights are on the field next week, I'll be more than pissed.

Railsplitter
08-29-2007, 11:15 AM
It can't hurt any more than we're hurting now.

TDog
08-29-2007, 11:38 AM
As you may recall from your English and/or rhetoric classes, Jonathan Swift's Modest Proposal was brilliant satire. Of course, head he posted it at WSI, the thread would, this would have been lost if he failed to post in teal. The thread would have been moved to the Roadhouse. Bannings would have been issued.

Your proposal, although more modest, if not intended as satire, is equally unfounded in reality.

It's not going to happen, not because the White Sox management has not thought about it, but because there is no reason for previously successful baseball minds to ponder such things.

Etownsox13
08-29-2007, 11:54 AM
ummmmmmmm.....no

Gavin
08-29-2007, 11:54 AM
As you may recall from your English and/or rhetoric classes, Jonathan Swift's Modest Proposal was brilliant satire. Of course, head he posted it at WSI, the thread would, this would have been lost if he failed to post in teal. The thread would have been moved to the Roadhouse. Bannings would have been issued.

:tool

FedEx227
08-29-2007, 11:56 AM
I'd like to see Gio Gonzalez and possibly Broadway up here for spot-starts or bullpen work, but let the other guys stay on a consistent rotation in AAA.

Again though, I think we should bring Gonzalez and Broadway up as they seem to be the two most likely candidates for being in the rotation next year. That doesn't mean start them over Mark Buehrle, but I'd like to see maybe Danks or Garland get skipped and throw one of these guys in their place ala the Yankees with Mussina.

kittle42
08-29-2007, 12:54 PM
No

Cool. It was just me, then.

kittle42
08-29-2007, 12:55 PM
I echo the statements that if the Charlotte Knights are on the field next week, I'll be more than pissed.

Hey, they're in last place, too!

FielderJones
08-29-2007, 01:19 PM
I suggest:

It can't hurt any more than we're hurting now.

I will modestly propose that allowing young talent to be pounded in meaningless games might hurt their long-term development.

I agree with rivaldi :thud:

And I also throw in a :rolleyes:

Tragg
08-29-2007, 01:28 PM
I suggest:

I wouldn't do that, but I'd certainly put some of those guys in the bullpen and put 1/2 our bullpen out to pasture.

soxinem1
08-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Impossible.

I doubt Gio gets a call up. He would just sit around, and once he's brought up, how many innings are they going to give him. They have to make a decision on Floyd by next Spring. Gio is not under any risk with options, unlike Floyd. Same with Egbert. Save them until ST.

One of the main reasons why they will not pull starters is that guys like garland and Contreras are on the shopping block, and what team is going to want them if they are setting up relievers? All that would do is kill their value.

Plus, Haeger in NOT a MLB-caliber SP.

kittle42
08-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Plus, Haeger in NOT a MLB-caliber SP.

Yay! One in my camp! :D:

chisoxmike
08-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Yay! One in my camp! :D:

You got another. I've never been impressed with Haegar. :bandance:

Sad
08-29-2007, 02:33 PM
thank God it's football season... :rolleyes:

soxfan13
08-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Put the whole team in time out and have public tryouts to fill the roster for September we might be able to find the next Willie mays Hayes or Wild Thing. Also have a nice cardboard cut out of JR that they can strip a piece of clothing with every victory :gulp:

soxfanatlanta
08-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Look, if you are going to use a J. Swift thread title, there better be something outrageously funny involved.

Eating Uribe: funny
Starting those guys the rest of this season: not funny.

Class Dismissed.

salty99
08-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Sept lineup
C - Donny Lucy
1B- Casey Rogowski
2B - Richar
SS - Tomas Perez
3B - Andy Gonzalez
LF - Fields
CF - Owens
RF - Sweeney
DH - Ernie Young
Closer - Aardsma
bullpen - me, brian26, chips, the dude, jerry reinsdorf
starters - gonzalez, egbert, russell, sisco, massett
bench - Wiki Gonzalez, Carl everett, Bo Jackson, Albert Belle, Robin Ventura, Roberto Alomar Jr.

RockJock07
08-29-2007, 03:24 PM

what have these "major league" player done for you this season? Who cares who's on the field, this season was done long ago, I just want good baseball.

At this point i want to see if Gio is amazing as everyone says he is. MB and Javy are a lock for the rotation next year, I'll give Danks a pass but Garland took a step back this year, he hasn't pitched as bad as he record is but he hasn't been the same guy he was the last two years. Jose is just awful. Let the young guys pitch. It's to early to write off Gavin or Charlie, so let's see what they can do.

IlliniSox4Life
08-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Look, if you are going to use a Thomas Swift thread title, there better be something outrageously funny involved.

Eating Uribe: funny
Starting those guys the rest of this season: not funny.

Class Dismissed.

I was just going to say the same thing. I thought he was going to suggest we eat Owens or something. Quite dissapointed.

skottyj242
08-29-2007, 04:02 PM
what have these "major league" player done for you this season? Who cares who's on the field, this season was done long ago, I just want good baseball.

At this point i want to see if Gio is amazing as everyone says he is. MB and Javy are a lock for the rotation next year, I'll give Danks a pass but Garland took a step back this year, he hasn't pitched as bad as he record is but he hasn't been the same guy he was the last two years. Jose is just awful. Let the young guys pitch. It's to early to write off Gavin or Charlie, so let's see what they can do.

I don't pay three thousand dollars just in tickets a year to see minor leaguers. Would your company just hire people that are not qualified?

spiffie
08-29-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't pay three thousand dollars just in tickets a year to see minor leaguers. Would your company just hire people that are not qualified?
Must have sucked for you having to watch Bukvich, Wasserman, Day, Owens, Sweeney, Anderson, Fields, Richar, Gonzalez, Molina, Haeger, Prinz, Sisco, Floyd, Aardsma, and Logan this year. Since all of them basically either started the year in the minors or are in the minors now. You might wish to contact the White Sox in hopes of receiving some sort of partial refund for this year, or perhaps a credit towards 2008.

skottyj242
08-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Must have sucked for you having to watch Bukvich, Wasserman, Day, Owens, Sweeney, Anderson, Fields, Richar, Gonzalez, Molina, Haeger, Prinz, Sisco, Floyd, Aardsma, and Logan this year. Since all of them basically either started the year in the minors or are in the minors now. You might wish to contact the White Sox in hopes of receiving some sort of partial refund for this year, or perhaps a credit towards 2008.

I'm fine with that because that's what we were stuck with. The essence of the original post was pretty much just sitting all of our starters and letting minor leaguers that don't need to be here play. Nice try though.

chisoxmike
08-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Must have sucked for you having to watch Bukvich, Wasserman, Day, Owens, Sweeney, Anderson, Fields, Richar, Gonzalez, Molina, Haeger, Prinz, Sisco, Floyd, Aardsma, and Logan this year. Since all of them basically either started the year in the minors or are in the minors now.

Yeah, it does suck watching these guys play. They're awful. (Except Fields and Wasserman. Sweeney was here for what, a week? He doesn't count.)

balke
08-29-2007, 04:16 PM

It did suck, but it wasn't much by choice it was due to circumstance. Buehrle is paid 14 mil a season for a reason. Is it time to sit him out so we can watch more minor leaguers fail to meet the expectations of Sox fans who will turn on them the second they don't perform as well as they like? Nuts to that, call up the minor leaguers when they are ready for the pros or close to it. There's no need right now.

spiffie
08-29-2007, 04:24 PM
It did suck, but it wasn't much by choice it was due to circumstance. Buehrle is paid 14 mil a season for a reason. Is it time to sit him out so we can watch more minor leaguers fail to meet the expectations of Sox fans who will turn on them the second they don't perform as well as they like? Nuts to that, call up the minor leaguers when they are ready for the pros or close to it. There's no need right now.
I agree with this. What I argue is the sense of entitlement that they owe us putting only the starters out there. If the team came out and said something to the effect of wanting to get an extended look at a bunch of the young kids in major league games, I as someone who also spends a nice chunk of change on this team, would not feel cheated. I would not feel like I'm being robbed or not getting fair value. At least no less than I do every time Jose Contreras went out to the mound, or every time Juan Uribe corkscrews into the ground swinging at a terrible pitch. If they were doing something like this for an entire year then yes, you might have a good argument. But seriously, it's September just about. It's to the point where people have posted about hanging out in the parking lot the entire game and others here have said that's not a bad idea. By now I don't care if they call up Andy The Clown, Andy Gonzalez, Andy Shaw, Andy Capp, Andy Griffith, Andy Ashby, and Brian Anderson to be the lineup. I wouldn't recommend it for certain, but if you think that you'd just now be getting robbed by this team if they brought up more call-ups and sat some starters...well I think the wallet is already out of the pocket and miles away from your hands by now judging by how this second half has gone.

skottyj242
08-29-2007, 04:30 PM
I agree with this. What I argue is the sense of entitlement that they owe us putting only the starters out there. If the team came out and said something to the effect of wanting to get an extended look at a bunch of the young kids in major league games, I as someone who also spends a nice chunk of change on this team, would not feel cheated. I would not feel like I'm being robbed or not getting fair value. At least no less than I do every time Jose Contreras went out to the mound, or every time Juan Uribe corkscrews into the ground swinging at a terrible pitch. If they were doing something like this for an entire year then yes, you might have a good argument. But seriously, it's September just about. It's to the point where people have posted about hanging out in the parking lot the entire game and others here have said that's not a bad idea. By now I don't care if they call up Andy The Clown, Andy Gonzalez, Andy Shaw, Andy Capp, Andy Griffith, Andy Ashby, and Brian Anderson to be the lineup. I wouldn't recommend it for certain, but if you think that you'd just now be getting robbed by this team if they brought up more call-ups and sat some starters...well I think the wallet is already out of the pocket and miles away from your hands by now judging by how this second half has gone.

That was me. :D:

spiffie
08-29-2007, 04:31 PM
That was me. :D:
And even though I didn't post it, I thought "I can't much say I blame him." :cool:

Tragg
08-29-2007, 04:51 PM
What starters are sitting to let kids play anyway?

Erstad? Come on.

Nobody's sitting in the rotation; nobody's sitting in the pen - Ozzie's boys Bukvich and Meyers get plenty of clutch action.

Williams knew he had to get vets off the team (not on the bench - off the team) to get playing time for young players...so he did.

Only Erstad and he's barely distinguishable in skill from a bench player, and he plays 3/4 of the time anyway.

No, the Sox, so far, haven't gone out of their way to sit starters. When Thome, Konerko, Dye, AJ and even Uribe hit the bench 1/2 the time, then it's time to talk.

BadBobbyJenks
08-29-2007, 05:20 PM

Id rather see our young talent, than our major leaguers get theirs heads bashed in...but thats just me

misty60481
08-29-2007, 06:36 PM
The first 2 weeks in Sept. we play all our games against Cleve. Det.. & Minn. we at least should put our best team on the field. I would really like to play spoiler against them.

soxfanatlanta
08-29-2007, 07:45 PM
I was just going to say the same thing. I thought he was going to suggest we eat Owens or something. Quite dissapointed.

Would it be considered bad form to use catchup?

Myrtle72
08-29-2007, 07:49 PM
I thought season ticket holders paid to see good baseball...

either way, you're not getting your money's worth.

roadrunner
08-29-2007, 08:53 PM
While I agree with the general point about what season ticket holders paid for (I am one), it has already gone by the wayside. The product out there now is not what we paid for and it's time to think about the future. I could give a rat's ass about the rest of this year. I see some merit in the proposal because I wouldn't mind taking some innings off all our starters - except Danks. I have no problem whatsoever with shutting everyone else down a couple of weeks early and let them get the extra rest. Buehrle (7th consecutive 200 inning year), Garland (6th consecutive 190 inning year), Vazquez (8th consecutive 200 inning year - one was 198) and Contreras (looks worn out) have all been horses. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Think about it in terms of taking a load off their arms and it's not such a bad idea.

soxinem1
08-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Put the whole team in time out and have public tryouts to fill the roster for September we might be able to find the next Willie mays Hayes or Wild Thing. Also have a nice cardboard cut out of JR that they can strip a piece of clothing with every victory :gulp:

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://www.nndb.com/people/114/000031021/james-gammon-sized.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGmcQwKffh24il9itJ0HWo1RapKrA

'And then we can give the media idiots a nice big **** burger to eat!'

RockJock07
08-30-2007, 10:59 PM

So you're ok with bad baseball as long as you all the veterens are out there half-assing it? That makes no sense to me. Richar was hitting in the 330's and Josh was one of the best players in the IL last season and was starting to turn it around this season, it was time and they were more then "qualified" at the time. Andy, Molina, and others had their shot due to injury and pissed down their leg, but it was important to see what they could or couldn't do. My point is that in baseball, a player might not be ready for the major's but due to an injury or bad play are thrust to the big league level. Sometimes they pan out sometimes they don't.