PDA

View Full Version : ***8/28-Fade to Black-Official Post Game Thread***

Droso5
08-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Someone had to pull the trigga'

Discuss.

Dick Allen
08-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Wrong date, but that's OK, I'm sure we'll see the same BS tomorrow.

kidmccarthy
08-28-2007, 11:55 PM
gavin pitched well except for 1 hanging curve for the 2 run bomb. His breaking ball is pretty nasty. Fast ball has some zip. If he can develop a 2 seam with downward action, he could be a solid 3-4 type starter. But who knows...

Droso5
08-28-2007, 11:57 PM
My first postgame thread and I botch it...:(:
Oh well, I have a sinking feeling that, yes, we should just save this one for tommorow...Honestly, bases loaded, no outs and Big Hackin' Juan Uribe steps into the box and.....weakly grounds out on a 1st pitch ball. Way to go.

kitekrazy
08-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Someone had to pull the trigga'

Discuss.

Well good thing they lost. I don't think we could handle back to back wins.
A decent outing by Floyd. By the way how did the Rangers get the 4th run? I didn't get to see the whole game.

Dan Mega
08-29-2007, 12:00 AM
So when do the Bears start again?

kitekrazy
08-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Honestly, bases loaded, no outs and Big Hackin' Juan Uribe steps into the box and.....weakly grounds out on a 1st pitch ball. Way to go.

It's going to be hard to watch a game if he is still on the team next season.

Brian26
08-29-2007, 12:01 AM
I missed the game, but I heard Hawk mention Thome got #494. He's putting on a nice run towards 500 this year.

voodoochile
08-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Well, losing sucks, but I did get a kick out of watching ShamME* take a nice hop as he connected solidly and... flew out on a routine flyball to RF that was caught 15 feet in front of the track.

That 8th inning sucked big time...:(:

Deebs14
08-29-2007, 12:09 AM
The title of this thread is rather depressing...great song but best describes the way this ****ty season has been.

"Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard." :angry:

Tragg
08-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Another loss by a career middle reliever in our pen (this one, we traded 2 young arms for). And the sad thing is, the Sox continue to look for more career middle-relievers to load in the bullpen. Why the 2005 winning philosophy was abandoned (1 career middle reliever), I have no idea. The best pitchers in the pen are: Jenks, Wasserman, Logan and Thornton... only Thornton could remotely be considered a career middle reliever (he is, but it's a 2 year career).

Meanwhile, the ostracized Floyd had a decent outing. He throws a lot of good pitches and too many bad ones. I just hope he isn't relegated back to mop up duty.... But he's got a lot more skill than 1/2 that pen. Garland was inconsistent as hell for 4 years before he settled in; Floyd has a lot of Vasquez in him (looks really good then blows up) although Vasquez looks a lot better and blows up less. I guess me and Williams are the only ones who like him. I see no reason not to let him pitch in important situations the rest of the year, whether as a starter or a member of the regular rotation in the pen.

Parrothead
08-29-2007, 12:16 AM
Still got the Windy City Thunderbolts (2007 Central Division Champs-Frontier League 64 wins and 27 losses) in Crestwood to watch. It is better than watching this team.....

NDSox12
08-29-2007, 12:21 AM

Not soon enough. Fortunately, the college football season starts Thursday.

Foulke You
08-29-2007, 12:25 AM
My first postgame thread and I botch it...:(:
Oh well, I have a sinking feeling that, yes, we should just save this one for tommorow...Honestly, bases loaded, no outs and Big Hackin' Juan Uribe steps into the box and.....weakly grounds out on a 1st pitch ball. Way to go.
Y'know for one brief moment (and I don't have the faintest idea why) I thought when the bases were loaded with nobody out, we'd at LEAST push that go ahead run across the plate. I'm glad the '07 Sox poured cold water on me and ended up stranding all of them.:mad:

This team is brutal to watch. I don't envy Kenny Williams this offseason. He has a lot of work to do. Is it hockey season yet? (Go Wolves!)

WhiteSox5187
08-29-2007, 12:27 AM
Bringing back Juan Uribe at short next year is unacceptable. He needs to go.

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2007, 12:28 AM
I can't wait until November, when there are the Blackhawks, Bears, and Bulls to follow...It's been quite a trying summer considering what we've been through with this team.

It took me a while to find this game on my DirecTV system. I always thought that CSN+ was aired on the station that would carry the Sox game on Xtra Innings. What a waste of a game though, and now we're two games back of fourth place Kansas City.

SluggersAway
08-29-2007, 12:36 AM
I say we start Gio, Egbert, Phillips, Haeger, and Broadway for the rest of the season.

What do we have to lose? Nothing.

What do we have to gain? A little major league experience for them and much more exciting ball for the fans.

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2007, 12:36 AM
Wrong date, but that's OK, I'm sure we'll see the same BS tomorrow.

My first postgame thread and I botch it...:(:This is one time when a "fixed it for ya" post is appropriate.

chisoxmike
08-29-2007, 12:38 AM
Only 17.5 back, but it looks like they're about to go on a run.

Believe.

StillMissOzzie
08-29-2007, 12:45 AM

Believe.
No

SMO
:angry::(::mad:

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2007, 12:47 AM

Believe.

:tealpolice:

chisoxmike
08-29-2007, 12:48 AM
:tealpolice:

I didn't think it was necessary.

pagansoxfan
08-29-2007, 12:53 AM
thank goddess there are the railcats! speaking of hockey, i can't wait to get nhl 08. should be interesting to see if i can beat the slackhawks as i will be using the wolves.

peeonwrigley
08-29-2007, 01:17 AM

Believe.

It's Gonna Happen

It's Time
08-29-2007, 01:35 AM
When the Sox failed to score with he bags packed and no outs, I just laughed. Comedy is your friend if you are watching them right now. I have to watch but laughter is very theraputic at this point.:D:

JB98
08-29-2007, 01:53 AM
Usually, when the bases are loaded with no outs, the pitcher is the one in trouble. When our club gets the bases loaded with no outs, our hitter is the one in trouble. It's amazing. They almost always fail in that situation. Not just the rookies, the veterans too. The situational hitting is abysmal on this team.

Littleton throws Uribe a first-pitch slider on the outer half. Instead of taking the pitch, or using an opposite-field approach, Juan tries to "go profundo" or whatever. He rolls over, hits a weak grounder, Texas gets the force at the plate and that sets Richar up for the inning-ending GIDP. It's amazing how many times our hitters fall into the traps set for them by the opposing pitcher.

Walker says Uribe has "Tejada-like" talent. Well, I don't see Tejada-like ABs or Tejada-like production from Uribe. The scary thing is the team might have to retain Uribe because there are so few quality options out there at shortstop this offseason.

Soxfanspcu11
08-29-2007, 04:04 AM
When the Sox failed to score with he bags packed and no outs, I just laughed. Comedy is your friend if you are watching them right now. I have to watch but laughter is very theraputic at this point.:D:

It really is Unreal. I was watching the game at my friends house, me and 3 of my friends. I had a long day today (still up!) and not only did I KNOW that the Sox were going to get nothing. I actually predicted the outcome PERFECTLY. Not that it is much of a prediction at this point, but the fact that I got the Uribe groundout to SS, throw to home. And then the Richar GIDP, in that particular order, it made me feel good! It makes me quite sure that I really know my 2007 White Sox. I know EXACTLY what to expect with these losers.

Usually, when the bases are loaded with no outs, the pitcher is the one in trouble. When our club gets the bases loaded with no outs, our hitter is the one in trouble. It's amazing.

It's amazing how many times our hitters fall into the traps set for them by the opposing pitcher.

I could not have said this better myself! Particuarly the part about "our hitters falling into traps set for them".

You could NOT be more correct! You would think that they would have figured this out by now, but well, no. It really almost seems like they are trying to lose at this point.

And just as an aside, if Greg Walker really believes that Uribe is "Texiera-Like" or whatever, then he has completely lost his mind.

I knew that Walker was completely inept and useless. But this is the first time that I have realized that he is insane as well. Not insane in a "Mad Scientist" kind of way, but insane as in a, "He should be working at Radio Shack" Insanity.

veeter
08-29-2007, 07:03 AM
Usually, when the bases are loaded with no outs, the pitcher is the one in trouble. When our club gets the bases loaded with no outs, our hitter is the one in trouble. It's amazing. They almost always fail in that situation. Not just the rookies, the veterans too. The situational hitting is abysmal on this team.

Littleton throws Uribe a first-pitch slider on the outer half. Instead of taking the pitch, or using an opposite-field approach, Juan tries to "go profundo" or whatever. He rolls over, hits a weak grounder, Texas gets the force at the plate and that sets Richar up for the inning-ending GIDP. It's amazing how many times our hitters fall into the traps set for them by the opposing pitcher.

Walker says Uribe has "Tejada-like" talent. Well, I don't see Tejada-like ABs or Tejada-like production from Uribe. The scary thing is the team might have to retain Uribe because there are so few quality options out there at shortstop this offseason.The Uribe appologists are as as annoying as Uribe himself. Get rid of Uribe and kick his biggest supporter Darrin Jackson to the curb too.

Parrothead
08-29-2007, 07:10 AM
I can't wait until November, when there are the Blackhawks, Bears, and Bulls to follow...

Blackhawks :o::rolling:

McCuddy
08-29-2007, 07:50 AM
but insane as in a, "He should be working at Radio Shack" Insanity.

:?:

I must have been insane when I worked there in college...

nccwsfan
08-29-2007, 08:34 AM

Rheineckerthrows Uribe a first-pitch slider on the outer half. Instead of taking the pitch, or using an opposite-field approach, Juan tries to "go profundo" or whatever. He rolls over, hits a weak grounder, Texas gets the force at the plate and that sets Richar up for the inning-ending GIDP. It's amazing how many times our hitters fall into the traps set for them by the opposing pitcher.

Walker says Uribe has "Tejada-like" talent. Well, I don't see Tejada-like ABs or Tejada-like production from Uribe. The scary thing is the team might have to retain Uribe because there are so few quality options out there at shortstop this offseason.

What made this more frustrating was that Rheinecker's 1st pitch hit Dye. Why wouldn't you take at least one pitch to see if his control is off? His thought process boggles the mind.

No way no how should Juan Uribe be on the White Sox next season. Whatever it takes, just have him out of here.

spiffie
08-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Another loss by a career middle reliever in our pen (this one, we traded 2 young arms for). And the sad thing is, the Sox continue to look for more career middle-relievers to load in the bullpen. Why the 2005 winning philosophy was abandoned (1 career middle reliever), I have no idea.
Ummm...did you actually see the 2005 team?

The 2005 White Sox Opening Day bullpen:
Shingo Takatsu - 36 yrs old (career closer)
Dustin Hermanson - 32 yrs old, starter turned reliever, 22 career saves entering 2005.
Cliff Politte - 31 yrs old, 14 career saves entering 2005.
Luis Vizcaino - 30 yrs old, 7 career saves entering 2005.
Damaso Marte - 30 yrs old, 27 career saves entering 2005.
Neil Cotts - 25 yrs old, 0 saves.

The entire freaking pen was made up of career veteran middle relievers! The only guys who hadn't been making a living in middle relief were Cotts and Shingo. Hermanson, Politte, Vizcaino and Marte had all been toiling in mostly non-closer roles in the pen for years and years by that point.

Chez
08-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Look at the bright side. Gavin Floyd's ERA dropped to under 7. Small steps.

chisoxmike
08-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Look at the bright side. Gavin Floyd's ERA dropped to under 7. Small steps.

Believe.

kitekrazy
08-29-2007, 12:10 PM

Oh but we have guys who can hit home runs. Isn't that the most important thing to Sox fans? How many guys on this team can out run a DP? You called it-no situational hitting. This is a very fundamentally flawed team.

Well that settles it for me. Based on Walker's comment, it's time to fire Walker. Uribe doesn't even have Jose Valentin talent. I just hope he's not on the team next season.

Lip Man 1
08-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Based on Ozzie's quote in the Sun-Times it appears he's finally come to the realization that a lot of fans did back in June.

Lip

Tragg
08-29-2007, 02:09 PM
The entire freaking pen was made up of career veteran middle relievers! .
You make a factually incorrect statement like that and you're asking me if I saw the 2005 team?
Hermanson and Politte had plenty of experience STARTING. Marte was a set up man/closer and our best relief pitcher for the prior 3 seasons. None of those 3 were career middle relievers. Cotts was a young pitcher. Jenks was a young pitcher and Shingo a closer. The ONLY career middle reliever was Vizcaino and he was the last guy out of the bullpen.

Yea, I know, 18 below .500 is just injuries and bad luck. MacDougal, Meyers and Bukvich have been gems.
And nice job by the Brewers, trading away some top young prospects for, indeed, a career middle reliever Linebrink

JB98
08-29-2007, 02:13 PM
The Uribe appologists are as as annoying as Uribe himself. Get rid of Uribe and kick his biggest supporter Darrin Jackson to the curb too.

As Uribe was striding to the plate for that horse**** AB in the eighth, DJ was talking about how "Juan has been swinging the bat well lately." LOL. I think I read that Uribe is in a 4-for-37 slump. Just because two of the four hits have been HRs doesn't mean he's "swinging the bat well."

spiffie
08-29-2007, 04:12 PM
You make a factually incorrect statement like that and you're asking me if I saw the 2005 team?
Hermanson and Politte had plenty of experience STARTING. Marte was a set up man/closer and our best relief pitcher for the prior 3 seasons. None of those 3 were career middle relievers. Cotts was a young pitcher. Jenks was a young pitcher and Shingo a closer. The ONLY career middle reliever was Vizcaino and he was the last guy out of the bullpen.

Yea, I know, 18 below .500 is just injuries and bad luck. MacDougal, Meyers and Bukvich have been gems.
And nice job by the Brewers, trading away some top young prospects for, indeed, a career middle reliever Linebrink
So we're going on the theory that failed starters are somehow an improvement over anyone else. Or discerning that a guy who is a "setup man" is a difference?

But sure, let's look at that team:
Hermanson: You're right, he was a starter for a majority of his career, not a veteran middle reliever. Except that the last year in which he was exclusively a starter was 2001. Since that time he had 66 relief appearance and 25 starts, 18 of which were in 2004, when he got moved out of the starting rotation at the end of July and jumped into the closer role. So you're right, he only had 3 seasons of relief (more than most of the guys you have complained about, but that's beside the point) under his belt. So we have Ryan Dempster's more wacky-goateed twin brother.

Politte: Cliff started 8 games in 1998 and 8 games in 2000. That's the entirety of his starting experience. Before 2005 he had 16 starts and 216 relief appearances. I'm sorry but that's not "plenty of experience starting." And considering he had 14 saves out of those 215 relief appearances, he's not a closer either. He's a guy who has spent 9 seasons pitching out of the pen in a non-closer role.

Marte: I'm not going to dispute that he was excellent in the stretch from 2002-2004. But your point has nothing to do with a guy's past performance, merely the role he was in. And to suggest he was closer material is simply not true, and it is obvious the club never saw him that way for any extended period. He got 10 saves in 2002. That year was the year we saw 3 guys get double digit saves, as Foulke and Osuna each got 11. He was never made the regular closer. Save in 2003, as he, Koch, and Gordon all hit double digits in saves. 2004 he got 6 saves, less than Koch or Takatsu. That three year span says everything to me. There were opportunities every year for the Sox to make Marte the closer, but they never pulled the trigger. Foulke, Osuna, Koch, Gordon, Takatsu...at no point was Marte ever able to move ahead of them and claim the job as his own in such a way no one could justify taking it from him. So yeah, when a guy is 30 years old, in his 6th year, and never able to make the rise to closer, he is a veteran middle reliever. He was a very good one for a few year stretch, but he was still just that.

Shingo was a closer for 1/2 season in the US. He was 36 years old. And getting by on a gimmick pitch. Yes, he technically was a closer, but do we honestly want to give him that term, when it is painfully obvious in hindsight that he was a middle relief guy in a closer's uniform?

Jenks was a miracle from the heavens. He wasn't with them when they started, and they had no idea they were getting what they got when they called him up. He only came up because of Hermanson's injury. If his back holds up we go into the playoffs (hopefully) with Dustin still as the closer. And a pen that has one guy under age 30 in it.
As for the rest of that statement, you're cramming words in my mouth. This team is terribly flawed. Meyers is totally spent, Bukvich is up because there's no point wasting an option and starting the service clock on young guys who might actually have a future, and MacDougal, well hell, you should like him since he wasn't middle relief, he was a closer! An All-Star one at that.

As for the Brewers...they severely overpaid out of a feeling of desperation. The fact that Linebrink has imploded, drastically underperforming his career averages with Milwaukee just makes that very clear.

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Blackhawks :o::rolling:
Yea. Even they will have a higher winning percentage. They're finally gonna be on the rise after the past decade of junk. I really can't wait until October 6.

TheCommander
08-29-2007, 09:36 PM
As Uribe was striding to the plate for that horse**** AB in the eighth, DJ was talking about how "Juan has been swinging the bat well lately."

Something you would never hear from Steve Stone.:D: Please oh please bring Stoney in to replace DJ!!:D::D: How people support DJ when he consistently makes ridiculous statements like this still boggles my mind.

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Something you would never hear from Steve Stone.:D: Please oh please bring Stoney in to replace DJ!!:D::D: How people support DJ when he consistently makes ridiculous statements like this still boggles my mind.
Oh, he's been swinging the bat very well lately...just hasn't made contact with the ball! :cool:

kitekrazy
08-29-2007, 11:48 PM

Mike North brought that up about Hawk and DJ defending Uribe. He said that's was insulting the fans.

I'm sick of Hawk as well. I wonder how well Stone would do if he was given a job in the organization developing minor league talent, or scouting.

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Mike North brought that up about Hawk and DJ defending Uribe. He said that's was insulting the fans.

I'm sick of Hawk as well. I wonder how well Stone would do if he was given a job in the organization developing minor league talent, or scouting.
It seems Hawk is quick to defend anyone who is an *Ozzie guy*. Uribe is definitely one of them.

Nellie_Fox
08-30-2007, 12:42 AM
Mike North brought that up about Hawk and DJ defending Uribe. He said that's was insulting the fans.If Mike North thinks something, I feel compelled to think the opposite.

The Dude
08-30-2007, 08:08 AM
I didn't think it was necessary.

Damn, Mike you got pwned!:redneck