PDA

View Full Version : Why do they do this?

thomas35forever
08-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Forgive me for being flubsessed, but why the **** do Cubs fans think the World Series is automatic? They aren't even cautious about it. They just think they'll win it like that. We weren't like that in 2005. We knew it wasn't going to be easy. They, on the other hand, celebrate each victory like they've won the whole damn thing. I know we've had this conversation before, but WHY AM I GETTING SO DAMN IRRITATED OVER THIS CUBS LOVE?!!:angry:

oeo
08-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Forgive me for being flubsessed, but why the **** do Cubs fans think the World Series is automatic? They aren't even cautious about it. They just think they'll win it like that. We weren't like that in 2005. We knew it wasn't going to be easy. They, on the other hand, celebrate each victory like they've won the whole damn thing. I know we've had this conversation before, but WHY AM I GETTING SO DAMN IRRITATED OVER THIS CUBS LOVE?!!:angry:

Don't worry, the Cards will take that division. And probably repeat as World Champs. :lol:

Dan Mega
08-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Why even pay attention?

Or care?

kittle42
08-28-2007, 10:24 PM
"Cub fans," despite 98 years of losing, feel they are entitled to everything. You may have seen some of them dressed in their cute little "Beckett" and "Ortiz" shirts this past weekend.

Sox fans realize the World Series is a very difficult thing to achieve, and feel fortunate to be in any position to get to one, and fearful of the chance being wasted. True baseball Cub fans feel the same way.

WhiteSox5187
08-28-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm just sickened by the Cubs and their fans. They have no clue how the hell a baseball season works and when things are going descent "Oh my god, we're a team of destiny!" and when things go badly "haha, it's happening again! We're such loveable losers!" I despise them. I despise the Cubs too. If they were to say, play the North Korean National Team, I'd be at Wrigley waving around a picture of Kim Jong Il.

TDog
08-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Many Cubs fans convinced themselves that if the White Sox could win the World Series if couldn't be so difficult.

TommyJohn
08-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Many Cubs fans convinced themselves that if the White Sox could win the World Series if couldn't be so difficult.

Exactly. 2005 is what has given them hope. The media, too. Come September
1 we will not see any comparisons to the 1969 Cubs and 1964 Phillies, like we
did in 2005.

ilsox7
08-29-2007, 08:15 AM
I don't know one Cub fan who thinks they are a lock for the division, let alone the World Series.

SOXPHILE
08-29-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm just sickened by the Cubs and their fans. They have no clue how the hell a baseball season works and when things are going descent "Oh my god, we're a team of destiny!" and when things go badly "haha, it's happening again! We're such loveable losers!" I despise them. I despise the Cubs too. If they were to say, play the North Korean National Team, I'd be at Wrigley waving around a picture of Kim Jong Il.

Good one. I posted something a couple of years ago saying that if the Cubs had to play space aliens for the fate of the planet earth, ala Jordan in Space Jam, I'd buy myself a green space aliens baseball hat, and an English to Martian dictionary.

DumpJerry
08-29-2007, 09:19 AM
So, you're telling me that when the Sox are in First this late in the season you keep quiet about it and only share the information with fellow Sox fans? Let it go. Let them have their day in the Sun. It won't last.

PatK
08-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Don't worry guys, "It's gonna happen" again, just like every year.

Juice16
08-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Why even pay attention?

Or care?

It is very hard not to pay attention or care when you are at work full of Cub fans who don't stop talking bout it.

VenturaFan23
08-29-2007, 09:36 AM
I had a similar experience a few days ago. This one Cub fan who is in our fantasy league decides to email the entire league calling us Sox fans who are in the league bandwagoning (explicitives) and taking joy on how bad the Sox are this year. Now most of us don't know him really well. He's a friend of a friend who joined a few years ago. He does the draft online so we don't see him and we rarely hear from him all season. But all of sudden now he decides to "speak up" and make a complete ass of himself?? Needless to say, he won't be invited back next year. Not because he's a Cub fan (we have others), but about the comments he made and how he was pissing off the entire league.

cws05champ
08-29-2007, 09:55 AM
The people that are getting you upset are the Chad, Trixies and Sheep. They like to pretend they are life long, die hard Cub fans, when they are really just glad the atmosphere is better in the ballpark in Sept than it usually is.

Any of my friends that are Cubs fans(true Cubs fans) are still saying "We'll blow it...we always do". That is a word for word quote from a friend of mine. I think die hard Cub fans are just like Die hard Sox fans...they live and die with their team. Are they excited, yes, are they jumping up and down and saying they are going to the Series...no.

Don't let the pretenders get you down, they will move to the next bar when the Cubs season ends abruptly and tell you "This is our year"....next year.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Sox Fans - expect a competitive team every year - and show their displeasure when it does not occur.

Cub fans - believe tomato sauce laced with a "cursed" baseball and selling blue and red Goat puppets will help their team win a World Series.

There.....it doesn't get simpler than that.

skottyj242
08-29-2007, 10:13 AM
I like the Padres.

DumpJerry
08-29-2007, 10:21 AM
The people that are getting you upset are the Chad, Trixies and Sheep. They like to pretend they are life long, die hard Cub fans, when they are really just glad the atmosphere is better in the ballpark in Sept than it usually is.

Any of my friends that are Cubs fans(true Cubs fans) are still saying "We'll blow it...we always do". That is a word for word quote from a friend of mine. I think die hard Cub fans are just like Die hard Sox fans...they live and die with their team. Are they excited, yes, are they jumping up and down and saying they are going to the Series...no.

Don't let the pretenders get you down, they will move to the next bar when the Cubs season ends abruptly and tell you "This is our year"....next year.
Ding ding ding. We have a winner! My friends who are indeed longtime Cub fans know the hammer will come down, so they are enjoying the ride while it lasts. The Johnny Come Latelys are the ones who are picking out spots on LaSalle Street for a parade that won't be coming.

Anyone who knows and understands baseball feel that the Brewers are irrelevant now and that the Cubs are keeping First warm for the Cards.

Luke
08-29-2007, 10:25 AM
It's incredibly annoying, but that's usually the call of a casual fan. Any real baseball fan, no matter what team they root for, knows how hard it is to even get to the series. So let them be idiots for 2 months while they hover around .500, and then they can all do the "poor us, aren't we so cursed and isn't it funny?" dance. They'll go to Hi Tops and forget about baseball 10 minutes later anyway.

itsnotrequired
08-29-2007, 10:59 AM
I don't know one Cub fan who thinks they are a lock for the division, let alone the World Series.

Ditto. These threads crack me up. Where are people congergating such that they meet hosers like this? It is sort of like the Boston series. Lots of posts on here about how terrible everyone was, how rude they were, blah, blah, blah. I didn't encounter any of that. In fact, a Red Sox fan bought me an my pals a round on Friday night (considering the state we entered the park, I can't believe he did that). I chatted with many people decked out in Boston gear and had a fine ol' time. What was there to really say anyway? The Sox got their ass handed to them and are going nowhere this year while the Red Sox have the best record in baseball and are gunning for a championship run.

Juice16
08-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Ditto. These threads crack me up. Where are people congergating such that they meet hosers like this? It is sort of like the Boston series. Lots of posts on here about how terrible everyone was, how rude they were, blah, blah, blah. I didn't encounter any of that. In fact, a Red Sox fan bought me an my pals a round on Friday night (considering the state we entered the park, I can't believe he did that). I chatted with many people decked out in Boston gear and had a fine ol' time. What was there to really say anyway? The Sox got their ass handed to them and are going nowhere this year while the Red Sox have the best record in baseball and are gunning for a championship run.

I will give you an example. I work in a room with around 100 people, %10 Cub fans, %75 Cubbie fans and the %15 Sox. I here this all day. Every stereotype that surrounds Cubbie fans is right here in this room.

PatK
08-29-2007, 12:51 PM
I own a condo four blocks from Wrigley and have drunk dumbasses stumbling around when I get home from work.

Any time they ask me directions to anything, I send them down Halsted street.

WhiteSox5187
08-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Ding ding ding. We have a winner! My friends who are indeed longtime Cub fans know the hammer will come down, so they are enjoying the ride while it lasts. The Johnny Come Latelys are the ones who are picking out spots on LaSalle Street for a parade that won't be coming.

Anyone who knows and understands baseball feel that the Brewers are irrelevant now and that the Cubs are keeping First warm for the Cards.
Just cuz I (and a lot of people) feel that way doesn't mean it will happen though. Did anyone last year at this time think the Cards were going to win the series? I sure as hell didn't.

itsnotrequired
08-29-2007, 01:27 PM
I will give you an example. I work in a room with around 100 people, %10 Cub fans, %75 Cubbie fans and the %15 Sox. I here this all day. Every stereotype that surrounds Cubbie fans is right here in this room.

This doesn't happen where I work. Luck of the draw?

:dunno:

C-Dawg
08-29-2007, 04:15 PM

Most of the Cub fans I know are of this opinion too; in fact I'm surprised how low key they are being about it. I think seeing that Cardinals logo drawing closer in the rear view mirror is keeping them close to reality.

Bill Naharodny
08-29-2007, 07:08 PM
It is very hard not to pay attention or care when you are at work full of Cub fans who don't stop talking bout it.

As well they should. After 5 months of baseball, they're 4 games over .500 and just beat back a strenuous challenge from their closest competitor, who's now 1 game under and have lost about 100 in a row.

Nellie_Fox
08-30-2007, 12:00 AM
As well they should. After 5 months of baseball, they're 4 games over .500...You say that like it's something special. And it's now back to three games over.

areilly
08-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Maybe it's just people taking comfort in increasingly tiny and increasingly pathetic moments of glory. "Hey dude, remember that one week in August when we passed the baton from the Brewers to the Cardinals? That was awesome."

Anyone worth their salt in this town knows the Cubs have about the same chance of winning the World Series this year as the Sox do of finishing at .500, the Bulls trading for Kobe or Rex Grossman being a Super Bowl MVP - slim to none. The ones who believe otherwise are the same ones who bought all those Brian Urlacher jerseys last winter and 1983 Cooperstown hats the fall before that.

By the same token, think for a second how this city works and how so much of it is designed to make things tougher for so many of its residents. Parking, the CTA, TIF pools, the woes of the CPS, layoffs, traffic, escalating rents, machine politics, cronyism, a local media that can't be trusted, a widening gap between haves and have-nots, institutional racism, segregation, erosion of cultural and historical districts, construction, the Dan Ryan, gentrification, mixed messages from the CPD, and on and on it goes. If the Cubs, their sad operation and their even sadder little division are a beacon in people's lives, so be it. I've got problems of my own.

[Sorry, this wasn't supposed to turn into such a rant; it's been a long day. And I have to get out of this city.]

Nellie_Fox
08-30-2007, 12:47 AM
[Sorry, this wasn't supposed to turn into such a rant; it's been a long day. And I have to get out of this city.]Well, you'll have a few days to rest as a result of the political hijack.

SynchroJet
08-30-2007, 04:18 AM

I have to listen to the same garbage and get egged on and reminded daily.

When I asked one of them what happens if they blow it like they always do? The response was, at least we beat the Sox 5 out of 6 games this year.

DumpJerry
08-30-2007, 06:51 AM
I feel for you guys. The Cub fans around me are pretty quiet. I told them two months ago that until they are holding The Trophy over their heads after a four game sweep, there really is nothing to brag about.

Also, which one of you were not doing the same thing in 2005?:rolleyes:

Frontman
08-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Why even pay attention?

Or care?

Because if you listen to White Sox baseball on the radio, you get nothing but "We're following the Cubs all the way this year?"

I'm sorry, but I wasn't a braggart to by Cubs fan friends when we won in 2005, as I was of the mindset of "I'll believe the Sox have a chance when they get to the series/win a few games/I'll relax when they have a 15 to 1 lead in the 9th with two outs" as we've all had our fair share of heartbreaks by the Sox over the years. Hell, even after the Sox won it, I didn't brag. I was one of those fans who said to my Cub friends, "You know, it wouldn't bother me for the Cubs to win it all. Granted, I want the Sox to win another dozen or so before it happens, but hey; I'm not greedy."

I also would love to see it happen in my lifetime, but a Sox/Cubs World Series, winner take all, let's prove it on the field who is the best team. I highly doubt that will happen, because when one team is playing playoff level baseball, the other is in the tank, but one can dream.

To me, what drives me nuts is the talking head morons on the radio, who should know better, saying things like "Well, if the Cubs win the Central; it doesn't matter their record because the Cardinals won last year."

Come on already. Thats saying that the Tigers got to the Series last year since the Sox got their the year before. It's dumb, moronic, and has no logic to the comment.

Viva Medias B's
08-30-2007, 07:42 AM
The local sports media's enfatuation with the Cubs being in first place in a terrible division, yet only having a commanding 3 games over .500, is what annoys me. They seem to be going far more ga-ga over this than they they did at this time in 2005 when we were 30 games over .500 and up 7 on the Indians.

Because if you listen to White Sox baseball on the radio, you get nothing but "We're following the Cubs all the way this year?"

I think the Score is trying to tell the audience that the station is a forum for Cub talk despite the Score's carriage of White Sox baseball. That is fine, but I want to puke every time I hear Zach Zaidman, Matt Abbatacola, and Sox fan Laurence Holmes talk about baseball. The Cubbie love they spew on the air, especially Saturday mornings, is so nauseating! In fact, their Cubbie enfatuation is so extreme that they almost fit the stereotype of the Cub fan who thinks that Cubs are such a lock for a World Series championship that MLB should just cancel the rest of the season and give the 2007 World Series trophy to the Cubs right now.

itsnotrequired
08-30-2007, 07:42 AM

:?:

Huh? I hear very little (if any) Cub talk during game broadcasts, the post-game show and White Sox Weekly. Are you talking about commercials during these programs??

Frontman
08-30-2007, 07:52 AM
:?:

Huh? I hear very little (if any) Cub talk during game broadcasts, the post-game show and White Sox Weekly. Are you talking about commercials during these programs??

Yes, the bumper commercials. Annoys the piss out of me that they do that. Thankfully, they don't do them during White Sox Weekly, as the Sox and their sponsors handle the advertising budget during that show. (Granted, usually the first commercial break as they toss it over to whoever is doing the afternoon show has to have Mike North's annoying "With Lou driving the bus..." bumper. At least let it be Murph, as he's at least the Cubs fan on the staff.....)

Also, Abbattacola's just constant insults of Sox, Sox fan base, THEIR OWN BROADCAST last week just totally pissed me off. I'd rather listen to the Sox lose a game over his "Last Call" and Jason "I have zero voice for radio, hence why I should be in production, but the Score is too dang cheap to bring in other talent for this shift" Goff do "Grandma Trivia" and other college level radio.

veeter
08-30-2007, 11:27 AM
When Jaque Jones is your best player, you aren't going any where.

minutia
08-30-2007, 11:40 AM

Die hard Cubs fans are cautiously optomistic. I work with a few and they honestly can't believe where they are, given that in many respects it is coming at the hands of players they were not really expecting much from, or at least they were not told to expect much from them.
I just smile and tell them to enjoy the ride, there is no reason to rain on their parade. I believe that in the end they will blow it. But not all Cub fans are like this, just the assclowns that make it on TV.

Frontman
08-30-2007, 04:19 PM
When Jaque Jones is your best player, you aren't going any where.

Abattacola talking about the Cubs last weekend:

"Derrek Lee is your best hitter. Jaque is hitting better and has better stats then Lee, but D Lee is your best hitter."

and about the pitching staff:

"I'm worried bout the 3/4/5 guys. And Zambrano needs to start pitching like he's the #1."

Ok, there Drinky (fitting name)

If the Cubs are a lock to win it all this season, how can J. Jones NOT be your best hitter (even though, he is hitting better than D. Lee) and only 1 out of the 5 pitchers don't worry you?

Typical Cubs logic.

Bill Naharodny
08-30-2007, 11:58 PM
You say that like it's something special. And it's now back to three games over.

Yeah. I was joking. I thought the end of the sentence would've given it away. Next time, teal for sure.

Juice16
08-31-2007, 06:35 AM
If the Cubs were running away with this division and playing good baseball I would happily give them their props. The fact that they are a few games over .500 and have a 2 1/2 game lead now is a joke. The Cubbie fans at work see first place and thats it, not realizing how bad the division and league are. Yesterday I sat here at work while they were seriously laughing histerically about the Sox being in last.