PDA

View Full Version : Does Fields merit any AL ROY consideration?

Frater Perdurabo
08-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Fields obviously hasn't impressed anyone with his glove in LF or at 3B. He also strikes out a lot and hasn't hit for a tremendous average. But if he keeps up his pace, he could finish the season with 25 homers and 18-20 doubles.

Does anyone think that if he does produce those power numbers, he might earn some AL ROY votes?

Brian26
08-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Does anyone think that if he does produce those power numbers, he might earn some AL ROY votes?

He will definitely get some votes, but Pedroia probably has it wrapped up due to his better average and glove, and, more importantly, the fact that he plays on the Red Sox.

thomas35forever
08-28-2007, 10:50 PM
As much as I'd like to think so, I don't think he's going to win it. He's not that great of a fielder and only really hits for power. It takes more than that to win RoY.

kittle42
08-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Fields will get some votes, but one of the Red Sox 3 will get the award.

upperdeckusc
08-28-2007, 11:14 PM
theres no reason why he should be considered even in the top 2 for ROY. has he had an amazing rookie yr for only being up half a yr? yes. ROY consideration? gimme a break. matsuzaka, pedroia, or okajima. and dont give me this "cuz they're from boston" crap. its cuz they've all had better overall seasons than fields, period. and this is coming from a HUGE josh fields fan.

balke
08-28-2007, 11:22 PM
theres no reason why he should be considered even in the top 2 for ROY. has he had an amazing rookie yr for only being up half a yr? yes. ROY consideration? gimme a break. matsuzaka, pedroia, or okajima. and dont give me this "cuz they're from boston" crap. its cuz they've all had better overall seasons than fields, period. and this is coming from a HUGE josh fields fan.

To be fair, the question was will he get any consideration. He'll most likely get votes if he finishes with the most HR's of any AL candidate, while playing less.

upperdeckusc
08-28-2007, 11:25 PM
getting consideration for the BEST rookie in the league? not batting .240, i dont care how many hrs he has.

Brian26
08-28-2007, 11:31 PM
getting consideration for the BEST rookie in the league? not batting .240, i dont care how many hrs he has.

Of course not, but some sportswriters (most likely from Chicago) will vote for him. The ROY voting, like most post-season awards, is seldom a unanimous selection.

kitekrazy
08-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Fields obviously hasn't impressed anyone with his glove in LF or at 3B. He also strikes out a lot and hasn't hit for a tremendous average. But if he keeps up his pace, he could finish the season with 25 homers and 18-20 doubles.

Hits homers but not so great at everything else. This is so "White Sox". Another potential DH. We could always use more. Has he stolen any bases or he is going to fit well in the current station to station mode?

Take the home runs out of the equation how does he compare to Richar?

That would be impressive if he hit even 20 homers.

Corlose 15
08-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Hits homers but not so great at everything else. This is so "White Sox". Another potential DH. We could always use more. Has he stolen any bases or he is going to fit well in the current station to station mode?

Take the home runs out of the equation how does he compare to Richar?

That would be impressive if he hit even 20 homers.

The problem is that you can't just take the homers out of the equation.

As for him not stealing, I heard he was dealing with some hamstring tightness and that might have something to do with it. He did steal 26 bases last year for Charlotte so he has some speed.

kitekrazy
08-28-2007, 11:48 PM
He did steal 26 bases last year for Charlotte so he has some speed.

Not bad. He probably won't come close to that next season after a Sox Spring traing when they claim to work on "fundamentals".

soxfanreggie
08-29-2007, 12:13 AM
He'll get a few votes, but I'd rather take a few All-Star selections or his help towards a few more rings than a ROY award.

upperdeckusc
08-29-2007, 12:16 AM
He'll get a few votes, but I'd rather take a few All-Star selections or his help towards a few more rings than a ROY award.

completely agree. i think he can become a solid 3b (yes, his bat and his glove). and i wasnt aware of who did the voting for the ROY (local ppl, etc). if they're involved, then ya he'll get some votes to get his name out there.

WhiteSox5187
08-29-2007, 12:28 AM
That award is going to go someone on the Red Sox. Doesn't matter though. How many burn outs have won the ROY?? He'll still be a great hitter.

FedEx227
08-29-2007, 12:55 AM
He's not that great of a fielder and only really hits for power. It takes more than that to win RoY.

http://www.cubschronicle.com/images/players/todd-hollandsworth.jpghttp://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/karros0914.jpghttp://www-scf.usc.edu/%7Ethier/Pics/mondesi2.gif
"Let's not go that far."

TDog
08-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Rookie of the Year voters have places for three names on the ballot. Fields may get a couple of third-place votes.

IlliniSox4Life
08-29-2007, 01:01 AM
The problem is that you can't just take the homers out of the equation.

As for him not stealing, I heard he was dealing with some hamstring tightness and that might have something to do with it. He did steal 26 bases last year for Charlotte so he has some speed.

Wasn't he supposed to have like 20sb potential? Not great, but can steal when the other guy falls asleep. I thought he stole more in the minors, but I guess that could also be against worse pitching/catching.

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2007, 01:23 AM
As much as I'd like to think so, I don't think he's going to win it. He's not that great of a fielder and only really hits for power. It takes more than that to win RoY.
http://chicagofantasybaseballcamp.com/images/Kittle_small.jpg

WhiteSox5187
08-29-2007, 01:25 AM
Wasn't he supposed to have like 20sb potential? Not great, but can steal when the other guy falls asleep. I thought he stole more in the minors, but I guess that could also be against worse pitching/catching.
Didn't he hurt his hamstring earlier in the year? I think he's been hesistant to run with that. I hope he runs next year, I'd love to see him be a potential 30-30 guy.

JB98
08-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Fields has had problems with his hamstring off and on this year. I think he will steal 15-20 bases a season when 100 percent healthy.

At the very least, he'll be able to go first to third and second to home much better than the other sluggers in this lineup.

nccwsfan
08-29-2007, 08:37 AM
He will get ROY votes and deserves to get ROY votes, but as others have already posted a Red Sox player will win the award this year. I'm just happy to see Josh performing so well and I look forward to more years of success!

balke
08-29-2007, 09:18 AM

Ryan Braun could end the season with 0-fers and a sub .200 avg. and probably still win NL ROY. Power persuades more than avg.

And to whoever said he's a DH, get real. He's a 3Bman on a team that has a better 3bman in waiting, and a team that wants to find out who can play utility next season. He'd also be an above avg. LFer IMO.

And yes, he will steal more, he's tweaked his Hamstring. I don't know how many more, but he should be faster than this. I love his play, he's aggressive. He does make a lot of rookie mistakes though on the basepaths and in the field.

Fenway
08-29-2007, 09:58 AM
That award is going to go someone on the Red Sox. Doesn't matter though. How many burn outs have won the ROY?? He'll still be a great hitter.

Pedroia is a lock. How can you vote against him?

soxfan13
08-29-2007, 10:23 AM

Dice K :dunno:

Chez
08-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Rookie of the Year voters have places for three names on the ballot. Fields may get a couple of third-place votes.

If this is the case, Fields won't (and shouldn't) get serious consideration. Maybe a couple of third place votes.

wilburaga
08-29-2007, 10:51 AM

The award will deservedly go to one of the Red Sox.

Let's not forget our own Ron Kittle who won ROY in 1983 while batting .254, striking out 150 times and certainly garnering no Gold Glove votes.

W

FedEx227
08-29-2007, 11:04 AM

.318/.390/.438
28 doubles, 6 homers, 42 RBIs

I'd say he's pretty close to a lock. I'd definitely prefer to see him take how the award over Dice-K.

Fenway
08-29-2007, 11:05 AM
.318/.390/.438
28 doubles, 6 homers, 42 RBIs

I'd say he's pretty close to a lock. I'd definitely prefer to see him take how the award over Dice-K.

While Dice-K is only 13-11 he has been the victim of TERRIBLE run support. In 8 of those loses Boston scored but 9 runs.

balke
08-29-2007, 11:10 AM
53 K 15 BB 61.2 IP 1.17 ERA
Okajima looks good too

The nice thing about Josh Fields is his BA w/ RISP, and his RBI output. If he had a big September HR wise, I think he'll get a lot of attention. Chicks dig the long ball. Someone from Boston is going to get the award at this point though.

eriqjaffe
08-29-2007, 11:10 AM
While Dice-K is only 13-11 he has been the victim of TERRIBLE run support. In 8 of those loses Boston scored but 9 runs.John Danks would probably have killed for that kind of run support.

soxinem1
08-29-2007, 02:45 PM
I actually thought Danks would get more votes at one time, but his performance the past month has done him in.

Fields, while productive HR wise, has displayed little else that should merit serious consideration. he has several guys in front of his who have also been up all year, and have shown more in other areas.

If he was hitting at least .265 and showing a little of the SB prowess he had last year in AAA, then yes, he should get consideration.

But in all honesty, the ROY means nothing unless we get back into the post-season. I would be happy just to have him develop his skills nicely, work on his flaws, and forget the meaningless awards.

TDog
08-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Not all of the voters look at the award in the same way. Some believe they are voting for the rookie who has the best season of any rookie. Others believe they are voting for the rookie who has had the best season. Some writers who normally vote on future potential will vote on season performance if someone has a huge season.

Generally MVPs are people who put up big numbers (except in the case of Zoilo Versalles). ROYs are all over the place. Some ROYs, guys like Ted Sizemore and Ozzie Guillen, would never be considered for MVP. Ron Kittle may have been considered a potential future MVP candidate as an important slugger on a team that won its division by 20 games. Dick Allen was seventh in the MVP voting in his rookie season. Jackie Robinson was fifth in his rookie season. Fred Lynn was the MVP in his rookie season.

If you can say Josh Fields has the best potential of any rookie this year, for lack of a rookie having a monster season, or he is having a monster season, you may consider him for ROY. I doubt many of the voters will consider Fields.

balke
08-29-2007, 04:19 PM
I didn't realize he's already 3rd in the AL for Hr's by a 3rd baseman. Beltre and A-rod are the only ones ahead of him, and Beltre's only got 20 with about 180 more at-bats.

He's gotta get more Avg. and OBP., but he's looking pretty good so far. Like I said, I like that it comes with RISP, because it makes him more dangerous which could lead to more walks and perhaps a higher avg.

skottyj242
08-29-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm waiting for a Fields vs. Braun thread to start.

balke
08-29-2007, 05:12 PM

Braun's way better at this point. Similar power though so far. Braun has 80 more at-bats. I'm guessing he has more power overall.

skottyj242
08-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Braun's way better at this point. Similar power though so far. Braun has 80 more at-bats. I'm guessing he has more power overall.

I am not saying I don't agree but I think we would all agree that there's some radicals here that would point to Fields becuase of his weight or something crazy like that. I picked up Braun for my fantasy team a week before they called him up on a tip from my boss at the time.

balke
08-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I am not saying I don't agree but I think we would all agree that there's some radicals here that would point to Fields becuase of his weight or something crazy like that. I picked up Braun for my fantasy team a week before they called him up on a tip from my boss at the time.

I never heard of him so I hesitated for 2 hours when he was called up, someone else snagged him. I thought Mark Reynolds was going to be the guy with all the power :o: I chose poorly.

chaerulez
08-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Fields could win it with a .240 average and 25 or so HRs in a weak field. Exactly how Bobby Crosby won it with a .239 average and 22 HRs. But Pedroia is having a good year. Hell, if Joba Chamberlain keeps it up and pitches 25 innings without giving up a run and has 40 strikeouts, I'd say he's worthy. Although I don't think that meets the innings requirement. But I don't think there is a clear winner ahead of Fields, if he finishes .240 with 25 HRs, it's not out of the question for him to win it.

UserNameBlank
08-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Fields could win it with a .240 average and 25 or so HRs in a weak field. Exactly how Bobby Crosby won it with a .239 average and 22 HRs. But Pedroia is having a good year. Hell, if Joba Chamberlain keeps it up and pitches 25 innings without giving up a run and has 40 strikeouts, I'd say he's worthy. Although I don't think that meets the innings requirement. But I don't think there is a clear winner ahead of Fields, if he finishes .240 with 25 HRs, it's not out of the question for him to win it.
I don't like the Joba and Okajima mentions in this thread because IMO you can't compare the job a RP is doing in a non-closing situation to an everyday player. It has to be a lot harder for a minor league hitter to come up and hit against major league pitching that attacks the strikezone, especially inside. A RP coming up, especially one with great stuff (Joba) or with experience in another pro league (Okajima), gets thrown out there in situations cherry-picked by the manager and faces hitters that have only seen him a couple of times if at all.

Fields to me is more deserving than either. Hopefully Pedroia gets it because he deserves it the most considering that Matsuzaka played pro ball in Japan.

MetroPD
08-30-2007, 05:46 AM
I was just thinking the exact same thing. In a head to head comparison:

-Both are approximately the same age with the same amount of experience
-Both are miserable defensively at their positions
-Unfortunately for us, Braun is the better bat in both avg and power wise at this point

Frontman
08-30-2007, 08:15 AM
He will definitely get some votes, but Pedroia probably has it wrapped up due to his better average and glove, and, more importantly, the fact that he plays on the Red Sox; AS WELL AS A WINNING TEAM.

Added another important part to the equation. I'd love to see Fields considered, but let's face it; noone is paying any attention to the Sox, other than the starting rumbles of "When will Ozzie get fired."

balke
08-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Now here's a question. What if Fields ends the season with .260, 25 HR, 20 doubles, and Pedroia ends the season with .305 9 HR, 36 Doubles?

To be fair, Josh has more RBI already with 120 less AB's, and Pedroia won't surpass 100 runs most likely.

In that situation, who will have been the rookie of the year? Not Most valuable player of rookies (discounting importance to team), but best player out of all rookies?

I have difficulty judging how important Hr's are when contrasted with doubles, but by that ratio, I'd probably rather have Fields bat in the lineup.

*Note: these #'s are very optimistic towards Fields' chances, but are plausible. Pedroia has dropped from .328 to .315 in the past month. Josh was at .257 on August 15th.

Nellie_Fox
08-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Now here's a question. What if Fields ends the season with .260, 25 HR, 20 doubles, and Pedroia ends the season with .305 9 HR, 36 Doubles?

To be fair, Josh has more RBI already with 120 less AB's, and Pedroia won't surpass 100 runs most likely.

In that situation, who will have been the rookie of the year? Not Most valuable player of rookies (discounting importance to team), but best player out of all rookies?

I have difficulty judging how important Hr's are when contrasted with doubles, but by that ratio, I'd probably rather have Fields bat in the lineup.

*Note: these #'s are very optimistic towards Fields' chances, but are plausible. Pedroia has dropped from .328 to .315 in the past month. Josh was at .257 on August 15th.It won't matter. Fields is playing for a very bad, last-place team, while Pedroia is not only playing for a first-place team, but one of the holy duo of teams.

balke
08-30-2007, 04:58 PM
It won't matter. Fields is playing for a very bad, last-place team, while Pedroia is not only playing for a first-place team, but one of the holy duo of teams.

I think Matsuzaka would get it over both regardless, but I'm not a believer in bias on this award. I think for position players its who shows up on the highlight reel the most at season's end. But, we'll see what happens.

Grzegorz
08-30-2007, 09:37 PM

Only in a bizarro universe would a thread like this originate.

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2007, 07:30 AM
Anyone think it's possible that ROY voters might split their vote among the Red Sox rookies, allowing a dark horse like Fields to sneak into the picture?

Of course, ESPN is probably convening a media convention with professional development seminars just to instruct writers how to vote, to make sure all of them select the same Red Sox player.

kevingrt
08-31-2007, 10:53 AM
No individual on this team merits any awards.

TheVulture
08-31-2007, 04:54 PM
I'd go with an emphatic no - lousy defense, .240 BA, .295 OBP and 101 strikeouts in 288 ABs doesn't really do it for me.

kittle42
09-10-2007, 03:41 PM
I'd go with an emphatic no - lousy defense, .240 BA, .295 OBP and 101 strikeouts in 288 ABs doesn't really do it for me.

Apparently, not for the writers at MLB.com either. Fields not even mentioned among the many names here.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070909&content_id=2199143&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

skottyj242
09-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Only in a bizarro universe would a thread like this originate.

Obviously you don't read What's the Score?