PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the NL Central?

chisoxfanatic
08-28-2007, 05:34 PM
The NL Central's bunched up much more than I think any of us would've thought around the All Star Break. As we speak, really there are four teams in the mix, as Cincinnati's been winning some games they really needed to win (especially those against the Cubs and Brewers), and the Cardinals have made up seven games in about a month!

Who do you see winning the NL Central?

Steelrod
08-28-2007, 05:47 PM
St. Louis

Risk
08-28-2007, 05:52 PM
I think the Cards will pull it off. There has been so much attention being paid to the Brewers and the unlovable losers that the Cardinals have basically been ignored and are sneaking up in the standings.

Cincinnati flat out stinks.

Risk

jenn2080
08-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Brewers. If they do not win it I think it will be the Cards.

chisoxfanatic
08-28-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm gonna go with the Cardinals here, especially due to the experience factor.

Boondock Saint
08-28-2007, 06:01 PM
http://www.thebrownhornets.com/images/kreskin.jpg

"I'm getting something...the winner of the NL Central will be a ballclub that plays ****ty baseball. That team will also go nowhere in the playoffs."

russ99
08-28-2007, 06:05 PM
The Brewers have had their 2005 Sox-like slump. They're gonna go on a tear, hopefully starting this week.

TDog
08-28-2007, 06:34 PM
I remember the excitement from Cubs fans I knew when the White Sox were 1.5 games up late in the 2005 season. The excitement was there because everyone assumed the Sox would lose. Now with the Cubs up 1.5 games, Cubs fans are excited because they see no way they can lose. It's as if they're up 3-1 to a wild card team with home field advantage and their unbeatable pitchers ready to start if needed. At my age, I've been watching Cubs fans teased by taste of success a few times since 1969. They may have been cockier in August of 1969, but they had an 8.5 game lead.

The Cubs are 1 game up on the Cardinals in the loss column, and the Cardinals are in third place. What's with the Cubs-fan confidence this season? Are these people in denial? Remember what it was like to be a White Sox fan in September 2005 approaching the penultimate weekend of the season?

The more teams you have in a race within a couple of games, the less likely it is that your team will win. Picking a team is only guessing.

PKalltheway
08-28-2007, 09:31 PM
I'll continue to stand by the Brewers. Some people have been acting as if they're done, but they obviously aren't. I still think they can pull it out.

As for the Reds, it's just a tease. If they're gonna make the playoffs, they'll have to get white hot. I'm talking 2002 A's, 1977 Royals hot. I don't think the Reds can do that. The Redlegs will make things interesting though, and I hope they can spoil the Cubs playoff chances again as they did in 2004. The last series of the season has the Cubs pitted against the Reds in Cincinnati.

Myrtle72
08-28-2007, 09:35 PM
The Brewers have had their 2005 Sox-like slump. They're gonna go on a tear, hopefully starting this week.

That's exactly my reasoning for voting the Brewers, they remind me of the 2005 Sox.

Unfortunately, I think I may have also voted for them because that's the team I want to see win and I'm not sure they can pull it off. The statistical chances of them doing exactly what the Sox did in 05 are pretty slim.

StillMissOzzie
08-28-2007, 09:41 PM
I'd like to see the Brewers get hot again and dash hopes of Cubs fans everywhere for the 99th year. But, I'd never count out the Cards.

I think that this is the most interesting race in MLB, especially when you consider that the wild card will NOT be coming from the NL Central. Four teams still realistically in the hunt for ONE postseason spot.

SMO
:gulp:

ilsox7
08-28-2007, 10:11 PM
The Cubs are the best team in that division, but I think the Cards will win it. The Brewers are awful.

kittle42
08-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Cubs. If this wasn't a Sox board, Cubs would have at least 50% of the vote.

spiffie
08-28-2007, 11:14 PM
I fear the Cards are making their run but will tail off at the end. The Brewers are just ****ing awful at this point, and could end up in fourth before the season ends. The damn Cubs should win this division and sadly they likely will.

chisoxmike
08-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Cubs

WhiteSox5187
08-29-2007, 12:34 AM
I think the Cardinals are like sharks, once they smell blood in the water they're not going to stop attacking and right now with the Cubs and the Brewers going the way they are going, there is some BIG time blood in the water.

The Brewers are really really struggling. If they get swept, I think they can be counted as done. But then again hopefully they can get hot and somehow win the division. It'd be great to see the Cards win the WC and the Brewers win the division, but both teams are going to have to get red hot to do that.

The Cubs ship is starting to sink. They miss Soriano and I think they rushed him back, Soriano is going to be playing 75% at most and could very well wind up re-injuring himself. At the same time they seem to be getting damn near every break and have the best pitching out of the other two teams.

The Reds are a tease but are going to cause major headaches for the other three contending teams.

chisoxmike
08-29-2007, 12:44 AM
The Cubs ship is starting to sink.

Pretend you're not a White Sox fan, and then explain this.

kittle42
08-29-2007, 01:11 AM

People can't separate themselves from their hate.

WhiteSox5187
08-29-2007, 01:22 AM
I can explain it easily, since Soriano went down they're 9-14, their offense has been struggling mightily and Zambrano has been inconsistent (he'll be lights out for two and then give up six runs in his next outting). They're rushed back Soriano for this series and he's not 100%. This means he's not going to be the threat he was on the base paths, look at Pods after he returned from the DL in July-August of '05, he clearly lost a step and I think he had something like fifty stolen bases before going on the DL and then stole only nine more. While they managed to take 2 out 3 from the Giants they also lost two out three to the Diamondbacks...aside from the Brewers they've struggled against other contending teams. This team is built to hit the long ball and right now they're REALLY struggling to do that and if Soriano goes down, they have no table setter. Plus soon they have to go to St. Louis to play the red hot Cardinals, there is very serious cause for concern if you're a Cubs fan.

It's Time
08-29-2007, 01:32 AM
aside from the Brewers they've struggled against other contending teams. Plus soon they have to go to St. Louis to play the red hot Cardinals, there is very serious cause for concern if you're a Cubs fan.

Not to spoil your party, but the Cardinals are contenders and the Cubs have absolutely owned them. As a matter of fact, IIRC, the Cubs just took two of three from the Cards.

Also, the Cards schedule is brutal in September. The Cubs are going to have to lose this division, which they could easily do, being the Cubs and all. That said, they're the best team in that division.

WhiteSox5187
08-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Not to spoil your party, but the Cardinals are contenders and the Cubs have absolutely owned them. As a matter of fact, IIRC, the Cubs just took two of three from the Cards.

Also, the Cards schedule is brutal in September. The Cubs are going to have to lose this division, which they could easily do, being the Cubs and all. That said, they're the best team in that division.
The Cubs owned the Cards in the first half, but they've been a different team in the second half. It's kinda like how the Sox owned the Indians in the first half of '05 but then they caught fire and it was like "Well, all of those previous match ups go out the window." And I know the Cubs did take two out of three from the Cards (but wasn't that supposed to be a four game set? One game got rained out RIGHT as the Cards had a runner on second with no outs and no score?) but the Cubs got a LOT of breaks in that series too. I'm not trying to say that the Cubs are dead, but it's not a sure thing for them...I don't think the Brewers are going to win this current series, but if they do and St. Louis sweeps Houston that would put the Cards in first place and the Cubs would still have a series in St. Louis to play and that would really determine the division winner (kinda like the Sox-Twins series in '03, even though the division wasn't settled by that series you knew whoever won that was going to go on to win the thing). There are a lot of different ways this thing can go and I think it's going to come down to the last week of the season. I'm putting my money on the Cards, but it wouldn't shock me if the Cubs won (I'm mentally preparing myself for that). It would pleasently surprise me if the Brewers managed to eek this thing out though.

It's Time
08-29-2007, 01:52 AM
The Cubs owned the Cards in the first half, but they've been a different team in the second half. It's kinda like how the Sox owned the Indians in the first half of '05 but then they caught fire and it was like "Well, all of those previous match ups go out the window." And I know the Cubs did take two out of three from the Cards (but wasn't that supposed to be a four game set? One game got rained out RIGHT as the Cards had a runner on second with no outs and no score?) but the Cubs got a LOT of breaks in that series too. I'm not trying to say that the Cubs are dead, but it's not a sure thing for them...I don't think the Brewers are going to win this current series, but if they do and St. Louis sweeps Houston that would put the Cards in first place and the Cubs would still have a series in St. Louis to play and that would really determine the division winner (kinda like the Sox-Twins series in '03, even though the division wasn't settled by that series you knew whoever won that was going to go on to win the thing). There are a lot of different ways this thing can go and I think it's going to come down to the last week of the season. I'm putting my money on the Cards, but it wouldn't shock me if the Cubs won (I'm mentally preparing myself for that). It would pleasently surprise me if the Brewers managed to eek this thing out though.

Nice post. I agree with the 2005 Sox comparisons. The Brewers are done and have been for some time now. Even when they were in 1st place a few weeks back, you could see they were clearly, clearly folding.

I suspected they were done a while ago. Then they go to SF and get swept by a bad Giants team and then proceed to lose their biggest game of the season tonight. If you can't win on the road you won't be playing in October. The Brewers have not been able to win on the road all season.

Put the old fork in them.

As for the Cardinals, well, they are the defending champs, which is always good to fall back on in a pennant race. To me, however, that pitching staff is pretty bad and will end up costing them in September down the stretch.

Also, sweet Lou has that team thinking it can win. Make no mistake about it, HE was the Cubs best off season move. He's taken a team that lost 96 games last year and made them contenders.

If you line up the Cards and Cubs on paper, I think many people would say the Cubs are a better team. That said, the best team doesn't always win. And again, it's the Cubs.

JB98
08-29-2007, 02:28 AM
That's exactly my reasoning for voting the Brewers, they remind me of the 2005 Sox.

Unfortunately, I think I may have also voted for them because that's the team I want to see win and I'm not sure they can pull it off. The statistical chances of them doing exactly what the Sox did in 05 are pretty slim.

The Brewers remind you of the 2005 Sox?

If the Brewers begin a 31-game winning streak tomorrow, they will finish 96-66. Still three games worse than the 2005 Sox, who went 99-63.

The Brewers are 41-56 since their 24-10 start. Did the 2005 Sox ever have a stretch where they went 41-56?

Comparing anything that takes place in the NL Central this year to the 2005 Sox is a grave insult to the 2005 World Champions.

Grzegorz
08-29-2007, 05:49 AM
Cubs...

veeter
08-29-2007, 07:09 AM

Unfortunately, I think I may have also voted for them because that's the team I want to see win and I'm not sure they can pull it off. The statistical chances of them doing exactly what the Sox did in 05 are pretty slim.The only difference is that the our Champion Sox were like 30 games over .500. Also, Cleveland was catching the Sox, the Brewers fell to the cubs. The NL central is just so bad.

Bucky F. Dent
08-29-2007, 08:27 AM
More of a prayer than a vote.

GO CARDS GO

soxfan13
08-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Ill stick with my prediction way back in March the Cubs.

drewcifer
08-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Looking at the schedules for September, the Cards have it the hardest and the Cubs the easiest.

So with the ability to somewhat "cruise" as compared to the Brewers and Cards, I'll pick the Cards. :cool:

SBSoxFan
08-29-2007, 10:23 AM
The Brewers remind you of the 2005 Sox?

If the Brewers begin a 31-game winning streak tomorrow, they will finish 96-66. Still three games worse than the 2005 Sox, who went 99-63.

The Brewers are 41-56 since their 24-10 start. Did the 2005 Sox ever have a stretch where they went 41-56?

Comparing anything that takes place in the NL Central this year to the 2005 Sox is a grave insult to the 2005 World Champions.

You're absolutely right. In what alternate universe do the 2007 Brewers even remotely resemble the 2005 White Sox? :rolleyes:

I voted for the Cardinals just because I hate the Cubs and have a lot of love for the Ankiel story.

Oh, and the Reds lost a DH last night to the Pirates. :rolleyes:

russ99
08-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Looking at the schedules for September, the Cards have it the hardest and the Cubs the easiest.

So with the ability to somewhat "cruise" as compared to the Brewers and Cards, I'll pick the Cards. :cool:

Yeah, but as we know, the Cubs tend to win the tough games and blow it epically against the "easy" teams.

Regardless, whoever wins the Central is out in 3-4 games in the first round, so it doesn't matter.

skottyj242
08-29-2007, 04:55 PM
http://www.thebrownhornets.com/images/kreskin.jpg

"I'm getting something...the winner of the NL Central will be a ballclub that plays ****ty baseball. That team will also go nowhere in the playoffs."

That's exactly what happened last year.

skottyj242
08-29-2007, 04:59 PM
The NL central is just so bad.

I am sick and tired of hearing this statement. What division has been represented the National League in the World Series the last three years?

soxinem1
08-29-2007, 05:08 PM
I am sick and tired of hearing this statement. What division has been represented the National League in the World Series the last three years?

How 'bout it? The AL Central is all of a sudden resembling it's pre-2005 form, and isn't STL like, the reigning World Champs?

I say they repeat with more wins than last year.

skottyj242
08-29-2007, 05:17 PM
I say they repeat with more wins than last year.

I like the Padres.

DumpJerry
08-29-2007, 06:38 PM
I voted Cards because they are the hot team right now and LaRussa knows how to make it happen. Ankiel has done a great job of lifting the team on his shoulders...

By the way Chisoxfanatic, I just heard from the good people of Pittsburgh and Houston about your poll choices.......:rolleyes:

UserNameBlank
08-29-2007, 07:22 PM
There won't be a winner. Someone will get to the playoffs but I wouldn't call finishing the season a handful of games above .500 a victory by any means.

kittle42
08-29-2007, 09:17 PM
There won't be a winner. Someone will get to the playoffs but I wouldn't call finishing the season a handful of games above .500 a victory by any means.

So were the Cardinals not winners last year?

WSox597
08-29-2007, 09:30 PM
I'd like to see the Cardinals win again, so that's how I voted. Personally, I'm hoping anybody but the Cubs so I can torture Cub fans with the whole 1908 thing.

That would be fun for me, but in reality I've been going over to the side that says the Cubs should be treated like any other team. I just want them to lose 6 times a year, the rest of the time I don't really care.

Even if they squeak out of the NL Central, I doubt if they go much farther. You never know, though, as the Cards proved last year.

C'mon, 2008!!

The Dude
08-29-2007, 10:14 PM
:whocares

veeter
08-30-2007, 05:54 PM
I am sick and tired of hearing this statement. What division has been represented the National League in the World Series the last three years?Sick and tired or not, the division sucks. It just shows that anyone can win short series'. If there were only two divisions or like the old days, one, all members of the central would be at the bottom. The NL central sucks.

soxinem1
08-30-2007, 06:16 PM
I like the Padres.

I meant in the NL Central regarding STL haviving more wins. This year, I think SDP can beat them, FINALLY! Provided they both make it into the post-season, of course.

kevin57
08-30-2007, 08:36 PM
I had to vote for the Cubs. It rips me up, but overall, they're showing solid pitching and timely hitting...and both the Brewers and the Cards don't have the talent level the Cubs have been showing the last couple of months.

This is a wacky division, though, and nobody should EVER underestimate the Cubs' ability to screw up their chances.

kittle42
08-30-2007, 11:30 PM
I had to vote for the Cubs. It rips me up, but overall, they're showing solid pitching and timely hitting...and both the Brewers and the Cards don't have the talent level the Cubs have been showing the last couple of months.

This is a wacky division, though, and nobody should EVER underestimate the Cubs' ability to screw up their chances.

True, but they are the best horse of the bottom feeders. They may end up taking the division by 6-7 games. I wouldn't be surprised. Milwaukee and St. Louis are just plain terrible. And can we stop with all the "St. Louis is hot" justification now?

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2007, 12:29 AM
True, but they are the best horse of the bottom feeders. They may end up taking the division by 6-7 games. I wouldn't be surprised. Milwaukee and St. Louis are just plain terrible. And can we stop with all the "St. Louis is hot" justification now?
Yea...they've scuffled of late. I'm starting to think the Cubs are just gonna win it simply because there isn't another good team out there. I'm hoping though that somehow the Brewers and/or the Cardinals can manage to get hot and sneak away with this thing.

nccwsfan
08-31-2007, 08:33 AM
The Cubs have the best team in the NL Central and will win this division however they will be eliminated somewhere in the NL playoffs, be it the NLDS or NLCS.

The Brewers are toast and the Cardinals won't be able to keep up.

Chips
08-31-2007, 12:47 PM

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/8333/dittoyu8.jpg