thomas35forever
08-27-2007, 04:33 PM
And this losing streak is OVAH!

chisoxfanatic
08-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Meh. It's about time! That was Jose Contreras' first win since JUNE 18TH!!! :o:

Flight #24
08-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Jose could be turning it around ever so slowly to make himself tradeable. 7IP, 4ER, 8K is not so bad. Not great, but serviceable, which at 2/$20 is OK (as ludicrous as it sounds to pay $10M for "ok").

chisoxfanatic
08-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Jose could be turning it around ever so slowly to make himself tradeable. 7IP, 4ER, 8K is not so bad. Not great, but serviceable, which at 2/$20 is OK (as ludicrous as it sounds to pay $10M for "ok").
It was against Tampa friggen Bay! Easy there.

He is career should be OVAH!!!

KyWhiSoxFan
08-27-2007, 04:41 PM
That's how to step up, Josh Fields. He is one keeper for next year.

hose
08-27-2007, 04:42 PM
High Five

WhiteSox5187
08-27-2007, 04:44 PM
I think this is his first win as a starter since June 18th, he won that game against Cleveland that went into extras at the start of August.

October26
08-27-2007, 04:45 PM
My God, we almost couldn't beat Tampa. How sad!

But we did win this game. As meaningless as it is, I sure feel better today than I did yesterday.

On the bright side:
* Josh Fields hit his 17th home run of the season to win the game. Way to go, Josh!

* Jose Contreras won his 7th game (against 16 loses). He pitched better than he has in 2 months.

* Bobby Jenks recorded his 36th save of the season for a team that only has 57 wins. Impressive!

The 2007 White Sox - they drove me to drink

palehozenychicty
08-27-2007, 04:51 PM

Maybe we can get rid of him this week!

chisoxmike
08-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Back to back to back home runs.

Just like in '05.

Believe.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-27-2007, 04:55 PM
meh

Chicken Dinner
08-27-2007, 05:00 PM
We still suck. Fields bailed us out. Man on 2 and Andy G and Owens couldn't even get him over or in after the wild pitch. 2 consecutive strike outs. Right after JC walks Upton he gives up a homer to Young. Not very impressive.

SBSoxFan
08-27-2007, 05:02 PM
We still suck. Fields bailed us out. Man on 2 and Andy G and Owens couldn't even get him over or in after the wild pitch. 2 consecutive strike outs. Right after JC walks Upton he gives up a homer to Young. Not very impressive.

Richar was still on second when Gonzalez struck out. But I get your point.

veeter
08-27-2007, 05:16 PM
I'll take any win. Great job Fields.

soxfan123
08-27-2007, 05:17 PM
if Fields had been playing the full year, does anyone know how many home runs he's on pace to hit? Or maybe his pace for the rest of the year? This guy is for real.

soxfanatlanta
08-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Huzzah! We got one!

oeo
08-27-2007, 05:34 PM

There are plenty more examples of why we suck than this. Sorry, but good teams pick each other up (not saying they're good...far from it), and that's what Fields did. That's been our problem after not executing, is failing to pick each other up. Whether that's on offense or in the bullpen, we haven't done it...it was nice to see it today. :thumbsup: to Fields.

Frater Perdurabo
08-27-2007, 06:00 PM
if Fields had been playing the full year, does anyone know how many home runs he's on pace to hit? Or maybe his pace for the rest of the year? This guy is for real.

If he had been playing all year with the Sox, he might be leading the team in homers. That says as much about him as it does about the struggles that have plagued Thome, Dye and even Paulie this year.

upperdeckusc
08-27-2007, 06:49 PM
If he had been playing all year with the Sox, he might be leading the team in homers. That says as much about him as it does about the struggles that have plagued Thome, Dye and even Paulie this year.

:?:

soxinem1
08-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Back to back to back home runs.

Just like in '05.

Believe.

I believe this season has been over for some time. And don't forget, it took this uncharacteristic power display against one of the worst pitching staffs in MLB to pull this one out of their asses and bail him out.

But I guess four runs is better than the 6+ we've been seeing.

chisoxmike
08-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I believe this season has been over for some time. And don't forget, it took this uncharacteristic power display against one of the worst pitching staffs in MLB to pull this one out of their asses and bail him out.

But I guess four runs is better than the 6+ we've been seeing.

I didn't think teal was necessary.

roylestillman
08-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Huzzah! We got one!

Hell, I'm marking it down as a sweep.

skottyj242
08-27-2007, 08:25 PM
I didn't think teal was necessary.

Where in the heck were you?

MySoxAreClean
08-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Remeber people, Thru Thick and thin.

skottyj242
08-27-2007, 08:55 PM
I was sitting about six rows behind the Sox dugout and when Toby Hall went and warmed up Contreras he gave me the thumbs up. After that, we scored five runs. This game goes to Toby Hall. I was also sitting with Wilkes wife........we made out.

Hendu
08-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Nice to get back in the W column, and for Jose to get a rare victory. :o:

I just hope that Jose can turn it around a little to get some trade interest in the off-season. Considering how horrible the pitching market will be, you never know.

soxfanreggie
08-27-2007, 09:29 PM
My hope is that we can win some games playing guys who are fighting for a spot on next years team. While are playoff chances are essentially nil, we can still get momentum into next year and make some decisions about who we want back.

After this past weekend, I don't care who we beat today...the DRays...the Royals...the Yankees...whoever...it was better than the crap we saw this weekend.

WS in 05
08-27-2007, 09:32 PM
So am I in the wrong here:.......?

I was heckling Delmon Young about he was a scumbag for throwing that bat at that umpire and some guy said I should shut up. Mind you he was a sox fan and said that Young was better than any rightfielder we would ever have, so naturally I laughed at him. Was I wrong for heckling or is Delmon Young good enough for that incident to be forgotten?

whitesoxlass
08-27-2007, 09:33 PM
SEASON RECORD 4-1

I wish I had made more games as in years past, but Today was a thrilling game and keeps me excirted for the few weeks we have left before the long offseason.

I took my son todya for the first time just him and me and I think another DIE HARD was born.

I was at the last 4 HR inning Game against the Yankees in "05" and that was a thrill cause Widger's Grand Slam (ALL OF THE BIG UNIT) but this one was ever better cause we needed this came to get out of the SLUMP.

Hopefully Josh progresses in LF and Crede will be back at the Hot Corner in April 08.

:smile::cool:

Hendu
08-27-2007, 09:35 PM

I was heckling Delmon Young about he was a scumbag for throwing that bat at that umpire and some guy said I should shut up. Mind you he was a sox fan and said that Young was better than any rightfielder we would ever have, so naturally I laughed at him. Was I wrong for heckling or is Delmon Young good enough for that incident to be forgotten?

Anybody on the other team deserves to be heckled just because they have the misfortune of not playing for the Sox. And especially when that player threw a bat at an umpire.

You're 100% in the right.

whitesoxlass
08-27-2007, 09:36 PM
:)So am I in the wrong here:.......?

That is nuts, did that Fan have a CUBS t-shirt on or something
Better then RF we will ever have.

A JOKE

TomParrish79
08-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I would like to second that HUZZAH!!

ilsox7
08-27-2007, 09:42 PM

I think heckling like that is stupid. The occasional boo is fine by me, but beyond that, I think people ought to shut-up.

chisoxfanatic
08-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Anybody on the other team deserves to be heckled just because they have the misfortune of not playing for the Sox. And especially when that player threw a bat at an umpire.

You're 100% in the right.
Especially after what we went through this past weekend.

Navarro's Talent
08-27-2007, 09:43 PM
I was at the game today (with my WSI shirt on, of cousre), and it was a great time. I never thought I would attend a game that had the Sox going back-to-back-to-back! Great job, guys.

WS in 05
08-27-2007, 09:46 PM
I think heckling like that is stupid. The occasional boo is fine by me, but beyond that, I think people ought to shut-up.

So your a fan of Michael Vick and Ray Lewis?

chisoxmike
08-27-2007, 09:46 PM

You are not wrong. I may have booed him if I were there.

Reminds me of the time in '02, I was booing Sosa and the Sox fan behind me said "Who would you rather have, Sosa or Maggs?" I replied with Maggs. He told me I didn't know "**** from China" becuase Sammy Sosa is one of the greatest players of all time and the Sox should have never traded him.

chisoxfanatic
08-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Reminds me of the time in '02, I was booing Sosa and the Sox fan behind me said "Who would you rather have, Sosa or Maggs?" I replied with Maggs. He told me I didn't know "**** from China" becuase Sammy Sosa is one of the greatest players of all time and the Sox should have never traded him.
:o:

Sammy Sosa isn't even one of the greatest CHEATERS all time!

Railsplitter
08-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Now that the bleeding is over, the banana can start dancing again.
:bandance:

GlassSox
08-27-2007, 10:11 PM

We were sitting at the far right picnic table upstairs in the bull pen sports bar. That must have been you that we heard. I have no problem with a little heckling if it is deserved.

upperdeckusc
08-27-2007, 10:21 PM

this isnt the little league world series were talking about. i feel if you pay good money to watch the game, you can mouth your opinions on other players if you damn well please. and plus it can create some good stories as well to tell to your friends, like how vernon wells flicked me and my friends off at the cell when we were on him constantly. its cool to know you can get to a player that much that he actually responds to you.
so, in conclusion, us "people" will not shut up.....not now, not ever :D:

hi im skot
08-27-2007, 10:23 PM

Delmon Young isn't even in the same league as those guys. Give me a break.

Nice game by the Sox today...too bad I was stuck at work.

Let's go out with a bang.

thomas35forever
08-27-2007, 10:26 PM
I was at the last 4 HR inning Game against the Yankees in "05" and that was a thrill cause Widger's three-run homer (ALL OF THE BIG UNIT) but this one was ever better cause we needed this came to get out of the SLUMP.

Fixed it for ya.

spongyfungy
08-27-2007, 10:31 PM
I can't get over that homer by Fields. That ball was breaking way low and in and he still managed to get it out.

ilsox7
08-27-2007, 10:49 PM

What does this have to do with anything?

ilsox7
08-27-2007, 10:50 PM
this isnt the little league world series were talking about. i feel if you pay good money to watch the game, you can mouth your opinions on other players if you damn well please. and plus it can create some good stories as well to tell to your friends, like how vernon wells flicked me and my friends off at the cell when we were on him constantly. its cool to know you can get to a player that much that he actually responds to you.

And I have the right to express my opinion that I think it's stupid. Nowhere did I say that people should not have the right to heckle. I simply said it was dumb and if I had it my way, people would just shut-up. Obviously, I do not have it my way, nor do I ever expect to.

StillMissOzzie
08-27-2007, 11:10 PM
POWER SURGE!!!

Well, that was a fun game to attend. Thanks again, Dude. On the plus side, the back to back to back HRs was pretty cool. On the negative side, the early walk & HR by Contreras sucked. Also, the failures of Owens and Gonzalez to advance Richar from 2nd with the tying run was pretty lame. Thanks to Fields for bailing out their sorry efforts with the 4th HR of the inning.
Wow, an effective MacDougal siting! And, a solid 9th by Jenks to seal the deal.
Yeah, it's only the D-Rays, but after 4 days of getting the poop kicked out by the Red Sox, a win is a win and I am happy I got to see it.

SMO

:gulp:

Brian26
08-27-2007, 11:20 PM

I don't mind heckling as long as it doesn't become a distraction to the game. You may have paid good money to watch the game, but so did everyone else in your section. Chances are the fans around you paid to see some baseball and not your comedy act. Keep it to a minimum, watch your language, and ultimately show a little respect at the end to the players and the other fans -if you can do this, everyone will have a good time.

SluggersAway
08-27-2007, 11:34 PM
What a sad, sad state of affairs when we get excited about a win over the Devil Rays!

Ozzie Guillen and KW may well be quoting Lewis Carroll's walrus; "to talk of many things, of shoes and ships and sealing wax and cabbages and kings, and why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings."

SoxandtheCityTee
08-28-2007, 12:34 AM
Breaking the losing streak was worth taking a vacation day.

We ran into a visiting British couple on the Red Line down -- they'd never seen a baseball game before. They asked us about the EL, where they should sit, etc. He was explaining to his wife that it was like rounders and I used a line I'd read on this site years ago -- I asked him if there were many schoolgirls who could hit a 95 mph fastball 400 feet.

They were nice though, and when we saw them on the way back too, the wife asked me whether that sort of thing (four HR in a matter of minutes) surely must be unusual?

Surely.

JB98
08-28-2007, 01:28 AM
Jenks has now retired 50 of the last 51 batters he has faced.

Fields might pass Thome is both HRs and Ks before the season is over. :o:

Frater Perdurabo
08-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Fields might pass Thome is both HRs and Ks before the season is over. :o:

Slightly off topic, but do you think it's possible that Thome might retire as soon as he hits #500 (or shortly thereafter)?

If Thome is back next year, I really hope Ozzie and the Sox use him in the manner in which you and I have advocated - DH only against RHP, with Fields getting all DH starts against LHP (and Fields and Crede platooning at third against RHP).

ode to veeck
08-28-2007, 09:45 AM
only 17 games out of the wildcard spot

GAsoxfan
08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
How did Fields look in left?

SBSoxFan
08-28-2007, 11:12 AM

He hit a 2-run homer. :redneck

KyWhiSoxFan
08-28-2007, 11:42 AM

He was flawless. (Okay, he never had a ball hit to him. They must have been trying to hit it away from him.)

JB98
08-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Slightly off topic, but do you think it's possible that Thome might retire as soon as he hits #500 (or shortly thereafter)?

If Thome is back next year, I really hope Ozzie and the Sox use him in the manner in which you and I have advocated - DH only against RHP, with Fields getting all DH starts against LHP (and Fields and Crede platooning at third against RHP).

No, I don't think Thome will retire after he hits No. 500. I think he will play out his contract, and then he'll see how he feels physically at that point.

IMO, the Sox should bring him back, and Ozzie should rest him more against left-handed pitching next year. The man is still a force when healthy, and I personally do not believe he has been anywhere near 100 percent since early in the season.

JB98
08-28-2007, 01:02 PM

He did not have a single fly ball hit to him. After Fields hit the home run to give the Sox the lead, he was removed from the game for defensive purposes. Erstad played the final two innings in LF.

palehozenychicty
08-28-2007, 01:06 PM
No, I don't think Thome will retire after he hits No. 500. I think he will play out his contract, and then he'll see how he feels physically at that point.

IMO, the Sox should bring him back, and Ozzie should rest him more against left-handed pitching next year. The man is still a force when healthy, and I personally do not believe he will get to 100 percent consistently ever again.

I love big Jim, but his days of being a leading run producer look over. He can streak for a few weeks, but he's not physically fit enough to be a key hitter anymore. Facts are facts.

JB98
08-28-2007, 01:09 PM
I love big Jim, but his days of being a leading run producer look over. He can streak for a few weeks, but he's not physically fit enough to be a key hitter anymore. Facts are facts.

That's why you platoon him with Fields at DH. Jim is still our best hitter against right-handed pitching. Ask him to give you 100-110 games instead of counting on him for 150 games, and things might work out better.

TDog
08-28-2007, 01:39 PM
My God, we almost couldn't beat Tampa. How sad! ...

The Twins have a losing record against the Devil Rays. Tampa Bay even lost a one-run game against Minnesota because of Carl Crawford's bonehead baserunning, and the Devil Rays still took the season series.

palehozenychicty
08-28-2007, 01:42 PM
That's why you platoon him with Fields at DH. Jim is still our best hitter against right-handed pitching. Ask him to give you 100-110 games instead of counting on him for 150 games, and things might work out better.

I buy that, and hopefully he'll agree to it.