PDA

View Full Version : RIP Chuck Comiskey II

kba
08-27-2007, 01:44 AM
Chuck Comiskey II dead at age 81. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-hed_comiskey27aug27,1,19961.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

He was the last member of the founding family to have an active role with the ball club. A bitter legal dispute with his sister Dorothy over the ownership of the club eventually led to Veeck's purchase of the team in 1958. Comiskey still owned a minority share of the club during the Veeck era, though his relationship with Veeck was always strained. He ended his - and his family's - association with the White Sox in 1962.

WhiteSox5187
08-27-2007, 01:51 AM
:(: That's too bad. he threw out a pitch at the last game in Old Comiskey, didn't he?

kba
08-27-2007, 02:07 AM
:(: That's too bad. he threw out a pitch at the last game in Old Comiskey, didn't he?

I think so. I also remember him being part of the pre-game ceremony at the first opening day at New Comiskey. Along with Minnie Minoso, Carlos May, and some other old timers, he carried a ball across the street from the old park to the new one.

thomas35forever
08-27-2007, 02:13 AM
I read that he and a fan turned out the lights at the last night game at Old Comiskey. RIP.

LITTLE NELL
08-27-2007, 06:18 AM
I often wonder what would have happenned if the Comiskey family had never given up control of the Sox. No doubt he did a great job along with Frank Lane in building the Go Go Sox of the 50s. Also did a great job with the farm system.

ChetChat
08-27-2007, 07:55 AM
I read that he and a fan turned out the lights at the last night game at Old Comiskey. RIP.

Oh, that's sad. Rest in peace, Charles.

Viva Medias B's
08-27-2007, 08:08 AM
According to the Tribune article, the visitation will be held Tuesday from 3 to 8 p.m. at the Gibbons Elliston Funeral Home (60 S. Grant Street) in Hinsdale. The Funeral Mass will be Wednesday at 10 a.m. at St. Isaac Jogues Catholic Church (306 W. 4th Street) in Hinsdale.

TheBull
08-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Chuck's youngest daughter, Patti, lives in San Diego and his married to my buddy, which provided me the good fortune to spend some time with Mr. Comiskey on a few occasions. He was incredibly nice, down to earth and would talk for hours about the Sox and Chicago Cardinals. It is a shame his experiences and stories were not put in a book before he passed.

We will miss you Mr. C.

Railsplitter
08-27-2007, 08:32 AM
If J. Louis Comiskey hadn't been in such poor health, he may well have lived until Chuck was old enough to run the club.

roylestillman
08-27-2007, 10:54 AM
I actually witnessed one of the saddest sights after the closing of old Comiskey. I attended a meeting at the old park after the last season was over. (The offices stayed open for a few months after.) While waiting in the reception area an older gentleman walked in. The receptionist asked, "May I help you Mr. Comiskey?" He replied, "No, if you wouldn't mind, I'd just like to take a look around." I thought my heart was going to falll through my shoes.

Despite 1919, Baseball owes the Comiskey family a huge debt.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2007, 12:55 PM
One of the finest gentlemen you'd ever want to meet.

In his younger days, he could be something of a red-ass but that was because of his love for the team and the franchise.

The greatest moves he ever made was back in the late 40's / 1950 seasons, with the Sox continuing to be a laughingstock he went out and brought in Frank Lane as G.M. and then Pauk Richards as field manager.

Suddenly the White Sox weren't a joke anymore and weren't for the next 17 straight seasons.

You may know that it was Chuck who was responsible for changing the uniforms to the classic pinstripe version so associated with the team in the 1950's (and again today.)

Rich Lindberg told me in his WSI Interview that Chuck told him it was a copy of the Yankee uniform (with the different logo of course) because he wanted the Sox to start playing like the Yankees and that basically if you want to be the best you do everything you can to act and look like the best.

And yes Chuck and a fan 'turned out the lights' for the last time (which was great because it was Chuck as a boy who threw a switch and 'turned on' the lights for the first time at Comiskey Park) and he threw out the last ball in the old yard.

Lip

tick53
08-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Rest In Peace Mr. Comiskey:(:

tick53