PDA

View Full Version : rotoworld predicts that the Sox will sign

Rockabilly
08-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Hunter and Visquel in the off season

oeo
08-26-2007, 12:10 PM

I hope not...otherwise we're going to end up being the Giants. Hunter would have been alright, but that was before we re-signed Dye.

I don't think either will happen. Ozzie has said that he wants more speed, and Kenny has said that he doesn't want to get real old. Both of these moves do the opposite.

The Immigrant
08-26-2007, 12:16 PM
We might as well get AARP to sponsor the team.

upperdeckusc
08-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I hope not...otherwise we're going to end up being the Giants. Hunter would have been alright, but that was before we re-signed Dye.

I don't think either will happen. Ozzie has said that he wants more speed, and Kenny has said that he doesn't want to get real old. Both of these moves do the opposite.

yea, cuz hunter and vizquel are definite base-cloggers.
hunter is productive yr in and yr out and plays amazing defense. i wouldnt mind him on this team at all if the contract isnt too ridiculous (6yrs and/or 18mil a yr, etc). with vizquel, it'd prob be a 1 yr deal with an option for a 2nd yr, so its not like its gonna be a 4 yr deal. one/both of those moves would greatly improve the team.

oeo
08-26-2007, 12:28 PM
yea, cuz hunter and vizquel are definite base-cloggers.

They're not fast, that's for sure. And with one in his 40s, the other one 32, they're not getting any quicker.

hunter is productive yr in and yr out and plays amazing defense. i wouldnt mind him on this team at all if the contract isnt too ridiculous (6yrs and/or 18mil a yr, etc). with vizquel, it'd prob be a 1 yr deal with an option for a 2nd yr, so its not like its gonna be a 4 yr deal. one/both of those moves would greatly improve the team.

Yeah, they would 'greatly improve' the team for about a year. Then we'd go back to a year like this year because we're so damn old. No thank you...it's not time to start signing old guys because we sucked this year. I'd rather go through a 'rebuilding' year than sign a guy like Hunter to a 5+ year contract.

TDog
08-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Anyone who has paid attention to the Giants this year may have noticed that Vizquel's days as a consistently useful baseball player are behind him.

upperdeckusc
08-26-2007, 12:42 PM
hunter and 5 yrs might be a problem down the road, but i'd rather have vizquel for a 1 yr deal next yr rather than uribe for a 1 yr deal. the only way were getting a good young player there is if we trade garland. and we'd be lucky to get that considering how garland is pitching in the 2nd half

Frontman
08-26-2007, 02:08 PM
I can see them considering either player, but nothing is for certain.

I think we'll see Rowand back before seeing Hunter, though.

upperdeckusc
08-26-2007, 02:10 PM
I can see them considering either player, but nothing is for certain.

i guess that depends on the contracts. since byrnes got 10/yr, if rowand wants 12, and hunter wants 15, i'd prob go with hunter. i personally feel this yr was rowands career yr offensively.

The Immigrant
08-26-2007, 02:37 PM

Corey Patterson might be a more likely option than either of those two, and should come at half the price.

QCIASOXFAN
08-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Corey Patterson might be a more likely option than either of those two, and should come at half the price.
God I hope not.:(:

Rockabilly
08-26-2007, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't mind if KW sign Patterson to play LF as long as we sign Rowand or Hunter to play center

soxwon
08-26-2007, 02:47 PM
We might as well get AARP to sponsor the team.

Dont Diss AARP Mr Lincoln Square!!!

upperdeckusc
08-26-2007, 03:08 PM

besides the little bit of power patterson provides, whats the difference between C.P and Owens?

eriqjaffe
08-26-2007, 11:57 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we not want Vizquel three years ago primarily because he was getting too old?

chisoxmike
08-27-2007, 12:06 AM

Hunter - meh, I spent a my lifetime hating this man and wishing him out of my life, I don't know if I could just start rooting for him.
Vizquel - pass, also, WSI would have a new player to misspell, ie: Vasquez

Nellie_Fox
08-27-2007, 12:36 AM
The St. Paul Pioneer Press thinks Torii will get $75 mil for five years, and think it will be the White Sox who give it to him.

Link (http://www.twincities.com/ci_6721891?source=most_viewed).

WhiteSox5187
08-27-2007, 01:14 AM
The St. Paul Pioneer Press thinks Torii will get $75 mil for five years, and think it will be the White Sox who give it to him.

Link (http://www.twincities.com/ci_6721891?source=most_viewed).
If ya ink a guy like Hunter (or Rowand) that means your leadoff spot is coming out of short...and who exactly would that be? Eckstein? I love his gritty style of play, but, he's getting old and banged up. He has a high average but low OBP...and defensively he's good at getting to balls, but his arm leaves a lot to be desired...I dunno.

We're in a rough spot...we're good at first and catcher, we have a glaring hole at short, we don't know what we're going to get out of third or second, in right we have JD who can still hit but has lost several steps in the field, you need someone new in center, assuming you have Josh in left you have a relatively slow guy who leaves a lot to be desired defensively, you have three GOOD starters and a quality fifth guy (though young and could tire easily as the season goes on) and you have just a god awful bullpen. That's a lot of holes to fix in one season.

The Immigrant
08-27-2007, 08:25 AM
besides the little bit of power patterson provides, whats the difference between C.P and Owens?

You mean besides more power, higher average and OBP, a .320 average against LHP, the ability to bunt, and fewer strikeouts?

Mind you, I am not advocating that the Sox sign Corey Patterson, I just think it's a distinct possibility.

balke
08-27-2007, 09:54 AM

I think Hunter is the best available option. The Sox would be keeping him away from the competition, and Sox fans can no longer complain about CF, as they'll have about the best in baseball there.

Vizquel might be alright. I'd like to see anyone who can play D and swing about .230 there at this point. Uribe just isn't doing what he's done the past two seasons defensively, and his bat is pathetic.

rdivaldi
08-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Mind you, I am not advocating that the Sox sign Corey Patterson

Nor should anyone...

esbrechtel
08-27-2007, 12:04 PM
If you have Hunter in CF you really can hide Fields in LF. Have you ever seen how close to the line the Twins corner OFers play because Torii can cover so much ground....it would be awesome to have him out there...

As far as the SS situation as stated before we would need a leadoff hitter at SS...I donno who you get for that...

rowand33
08-27-2007, 01:17 PM
If you have Hunter in CF you really can hide Fields in LF. Have you ever seen how close to the line the Twins corner OFers play because Torii can cover so much ground....it would be awesome to have him out there...

As far as the SS situation as stated before we would need a leadoff hitter at SS...I donno who you get for that...

I think a trade for Furcal is the most attractive option. It takes care of leadoff and SS.

If we signed Hunter and got Furcal, I'd be very happy with our lineup (provided Crede comes back alright).

The bullpen is still an issue, and I don't know how we'll resolve it.

Tragg
08-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Maybe we can sign Julio Franco and David Wells too.

UserNameBlank
08-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Maybe we can sign Julio Franco and David Wells too.
Julio Franco > Darin Erstad
David Wells > Gavin Floyd

That would be an improvement, so long as Franco didn't play CF.

SBSoxFan
08-27-2007, 02:45 PM
David Wells > Gavin Floyd

That would be an improvement, so long as Franco didn't play CF.

:hijacked: Speaking of CF, did anyone notice that Mac played CF for San Diego last night?

eriqjaffe
08-27-2007, 03:25 PM
David Wells > Gavin Floyd> is the mathematical symbol for "greater than", not "older than".

Of course, Julio Franco >= Darin Erstad + Gaving Floyd

veeter
08-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Get Tejada and Rowand and call it a day.

Foulke You
08-27-2007, 06:41 PM
I think Hunter is the best available option. The Sox would be keeping him away from the competition, and Sox fans can no longer complain about CF, as they'll have about the best in baseball there.

Vizquel might be alright. I'd like to see anyone who can play D and swing about .230 there at this point. Uribe just isn't doing what he's done the past two seasons defensively, and his bat is pathetic.
You're right, out of all the free agent CFs available, Hunter is the best offensively and defensively and would certainly solve a lot of the Sox outfield problems. The big downside to signing him is that we'll probably have to give him at least 4, maybe 5 years on a contract. Hunter is going to be productive for the next 3 years at least but when he hits 35, who knows how mobile he'll be. Don't forget that he played a lot of years on that billiard felt in the Metrodome. I'd hate to dole out 5 years for a guy who is going to be on the DL for 2 of those 5 years. When healthy though, as much as I loathe Hunter, there is no denying that the guy is a winner. (Don't worry Chisoxmike, I hate Hunter too but y'know, after this crappy season, I'm willing to sign on the dotted line with the devil if it would help our White Sox get back to the playoffs)

In my opinion, Vizquel is not the right move for this club for a starting SS. At age 38, I thought he was worth a shot but not at age 41. I think some people are just blinded by their desire to have anyone but Uribe that they aren't thinking clearly. Vizquel is 41 and his best years are LONG behind him both offensively and defensively. He was hurt for a while this year and he isn't hitting well anymore and that is in the watered down NL to boot. If the Sox pursue Vizquel, I hope it is as a replacement to Alex Cintron in the backup SS role and not as a starting SS.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we not want Vizquel three years ago primarily because he was getting too old?

If "we" being fans, that may be correct, but KW wanted him but lost him because the Giants gave him a better contract. (I think the Sox offered him two years and the Giants gave him three, but I may be wrong.)

Sockinchisox
08-28-2007, 10:48 AM
:hijacked: Speaking of CF, did anyone notice that Mac played CF for San Diego last night?

Oh god, in Petco? I wouldn't be able to watch the game if I were a Padres fan.

Taliesinrk
08-28-2007, 03:50 PM
You mean besides more power, higher average and OBP, a .320 average against LHP, the ability to bunt, and fewer strikeouts?

Mind you, I am not advocating that the Sox sign Corey Patterson, I just think it's a distinct possibility.

I couldn't take Patterson for a whole year. And further, are you really saying that Owens can't bunt?

upperdeckusc
08-28-2007, 06:45 PM

If you're going on the past two years of Patterson (ignoring is putrid Cubs numbers and his career OBP of .299), the only things he's doing better over a full season is average (.270). Owens is on pace to have the same number of strikeouts (about 80 over 450-500 AB's), and 20-something walks (CP bats .270 and has a .310 obp the past two years, thats good?). I don't think its completely impossible for Owens to have a season where he bats .270 when as a rookie getting only singles, he's batting .245. Plus........he comes A LOT cheaper. Ummmm, I'll take Owens and spend the money elsewhere.

eriqjaffe
08-29-2007, 09:41 AM
are you really saying that Owens can't bunt?Most of his actual swings wind up generating about the same amount of power as the average bunt.