PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite visiting fans

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Amidst a series with the worst visiting fans, I thought it might be nice for us to discuss the best visiting fans from your perspective.

I'll start here by stating I think the Angels fans I've encountered at Comiskey have been the best. I have great respect for them.

chisoxmike
08-25-2007, 12:24 AM
Devil Rays fans.

Yes, I've seen guys decked out Devil Ray gear.

MUsoxfan
08-25-2007, 01:23 AM
Actually, Tiger fans aren't so hard to handle at the Cell. Granted I didn't see any this year, but in past years they've been pretty pleasent

hold2dibber
08-25-2007, 02:14 AM
I have had some great experiences talking baseball with opposing team fans. Although I've encountered many idiot Indian fans at the Cell/Comiskey over the years, I've also met some really cool, down-to-earth, and reasonable Indian fans, too. And, even though it's very far away, I've had several great conversations with A's fans over the years. As a conceptual matter, I have a default respect for fans of teams deemed to be the "second team" in big markets (e.g., the A's, Mets, Angels, Michigan State, etc.).

South Side Irish
08-26-2007, 01:38 AM
I'll have to agree on the Tigers, Indians, and Twins. Most of their fans have been cool, only annoying thing is seeing them so happy after we've lost. I did get to see us come back to beat the Tigers a few weeks ago, so that was a nice bit of revenge!

The Cardinals were real cool a couple years ago. Beating them like that in 2 straight games couldn't have brought out the worst in them! :redneck

I just think it's largely a midwestern thing; we're good people, laid back. Cub fans are the exception, and Cardinal fans are just crazy, but never really rude or offensive like the Red Sox, Cub, or some Yankee fans.

TDog
08-26-2007, 02:03 AM
I've been around some Tigers fans who were loud jerks. Yankees fans are annoying in a snobbish way. I've been around some Twins fans who were jerks. I don't believe I have any favorite visiting fans.

When I am a visiting fan watching the Sox, people know I'm a Sox fan because I'm wearing the enemy cap. I cheer good play, but I'm not obnoxious. When the Sox are winning, I don't make a spectacle of myself because I remember how much loud visiting fans ruined some days at Old Comiskey when I was a kid.

DrCrawdad
08-26-2007, 07:41 AM
This D-Backs blogger (http://www.azsnakepit.com/story/2007/8/25/134519/960) doesn't much like Cubbie fans who've strutted into the BOB (if that still is the name of the D-Backs park). I agree with the guy, Cubbie fans can be the most arrogant, loudmouths who come to visit.

Is there more unpleasant company than winning Cubs fans away from home? By all accounts, those at Wrigley are fine, knowledgeable people, but the ones at the park last night were the very antithesis of "gracious in victory": gloating, taunting opposing fans at every opportunity, and reminding us why I'm glad when the Cubs end up extending their losing streak. If we don't hear from you when you're losing, we don't want to hear from you when you're winning. Maybe like hyenas, they get courage from their numbers. There were, as anticipated/feared, lots of them - odd, how they feel such fierce loyalty to Chicago, but apparently have no desire to live there!

itsnotrequired
08-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Devil Rays fans.

Yes, I've seen guys decked out Devil Ray gear.

Chips wearing his Conseco Devil Rays jersey doesn't count.

The Immigrant
08-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Detroit fans are generally gracious at the Cell, although some of the younger ones can be obnoxious. St. Louis fans were friendly and knowledgeable during last year's interleague series. Tribe fans are generally decent people and I've never had a bad experience with them either at the Cell or at Jacobs Field.

Twins fans are the worst, particularly the ones who live in Chicago and also follow the Cubs.

HerzogVon
08-26-2007, 09:58 AM
My Cubs fan cyber-friend has spent the last two years telling me how he has disconnected from baseball and no longer cares. Well, guess who recently came prancing out of the closet? Uh, huh.

Know that nobody likes Red Sawx fans now, but I seem to remember a lot of people posting here saying that they were quite cordial when we swept them in 2005. ( Of course, they may have been talking about the ones who stayed in Boston, and not those who ventured here? ) Then again, they probably still had a mellowness hangover from 2004.

South Side Irish
08-26-2007, 10:48 AM
l, although some of the younger ones can be obnoxious.

I think that's the same with just about any fan base. Michigan people (U of M, State, Wings, Tigers, even Lions fans) in their 20's seem to think that their teams are so historically important, especially in relation to their Chicago counterparts. I know we all are biased towards our teams, but young Michiganders (went to school and lived there for almost 10 years) seem incredibly obnoxious. Don't know why!

I sat by some pretty cool Tiger fans during the last series. Even after taking a 7-0 lead, they were all okay. STanding and clapping, yelling, but never rude.

UserNameBlank
08-26-2007, 11:06 AM
This D-Backs blogger (http://www.azsnakepit.com/story/2007/8/25/134519/960) doesn't much like Cubbie fans who've strutted into the BOB (if that still is the name of the D-Backs park). I agree with the guy, Cubbie fans can be the most arrogant, loudmouths who come to visit.
It's funny because if the Sox were leading a ****ty AL Central division while only being a couple games over .500 there would be widespread panic among Sox fans. If we had the Flubbies pitching staff there would probably be many who would think we'd make the playoffs but get our asses handed to us in the first round. Yet when the Flubs have a division basically given to them and still don't jump out ahead despite spending truckloads of cash in the offseason, their stupid Flubbie fans think they're the best team in baseball. ***??

In response to the question though, I'd agree with the Tigers fans. I also like the Royals fans. It seems like they are mainly diehards who have lost enough to actually realize what is and isn't a good team. They seem to know a lot about baseball. I also like the Brewers fans but haven't seen any at the Cell obviously because of the ****ty interleague rivalry crap. Why can't we play the BrewCrew instead? I like talking to them at Brewers games though.

Dan Mega
08-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Tigers and Blue Jays fans. I've had the best experiences with those folks.

A. Cavatica
08-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Devil Rays fans.

Yep. Always good to have a team in town that we might actually beat.

soxfanreggie
08-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Devil Rays fans. Attend a lot of D-Rays games when I'm back (south)east, and I have had some good conversations with them at Tropicana and the (very) few who find the way to our stadium.

Fenway
08-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Know that nobody likes Red Sawx fans now, but I seem to remember a lot of people posting here saying that they were quite cordial when we swept them in 2005. ( Of course, they may have been talking about the ones who stayed in Boston, and not those who ventured here? ) Then again, they probably still had a mellowness hangover from 2004.

I am mad that the 10% of idiots are giving true Red Sox fans a bad rap. I saw a guy yesterday that is BANNED LIFETIME from Fenway. He gave Sheffield a hard time 2 years ago.
http://www.sacunion.com/images/article_photos/YANKEES_RED_SOX_big.jpg

These pictures prove we didn't give the Chicago fans grief at Fenway when you won the 2005 ALDS
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/10/07/1128736070_4173.jpg
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2005/10/07/1128743744_3451.jpg
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2005/10/07/1128743493_5075.jpg
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Reuters_Photo/2005/10/07/1128735700_5386.jpg

Bucky F. Dent
08-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Cards Fans.

HomeFish
08-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Cards Fans.

I'll agree with this. The Cardinals fans who came to US Cellular Field for the 2006 interleague games were really awesome. I had a great conversation about Timo Perez with the Cards fan sitting right behind me.

Also, in 2004, when the Marlins played a couple of home games in US Cellular Field, I met some really awesome Marlins fans. Though Billy in Marlin is a punk -- he climbed on top of the Marlins dugout and hanged Youppi in effigy!!

johnr1note
08-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Interesting thread. As a former season ticket holder, and the son of a former long time season ticket holder, I've had experience with the fans of a lot of visiting teams. Indeed, most were cordial and engaged us in conversations about the history of the park, our experiences as Sox fans, and good natured ribbing. My best time with a group of visiting fans was with the Phillies a few years back. A whole multi-generational family group had traveled to the Cell to see the Phils play the White Sox. The Phillies scored a run the top of the first with a walk, bunt, and a base hit. The old fellow in full beard and Phillies jersey poked me in my Sox jersey and said, "That's National League baseball!" A Sox player (Konerko, I think) crushes a 3 run bomb in the bottom of the first, and I turn around "That's American League baseball, my friend!" We had a marvelous conversation.

I agree with most here that Tigers fans are generally polite. What I don't understand is how so many of them are able to get tickets to our ball games -- even back in the 70s, Tigers fans would come in droves. The Cards fans here for inter-league play were also very cordial and respectful.

For AL opponents, Indians fans (particularly in the Albert Belle Tribe days) were the worst. Of course, Cubs fans are the most obnoxious by far. I find Yankee fans to be more annoying than obnoxious. And back in the day when the Brewers were in the AL, thier fans could be quite annoying on their bus trips to Old Comiskey.