PDA

View Full Version : Kris Honel's world

Vsahajpal
04-08-2002, 11:52 AM
you're just a part of it

The 19 y/o 6'5 195 lb RHP dominated in his 2002 debut at the SAL. Honel was matched up against last year's 4th overall pick Gavin Floyd, and they both shined.

Honel threw 5 shutout innings, allowing just 3 hits, while striking out 8 and not issuing a walk.

Floyd went 5 1/3, allowing an unearned run on 2 hits, he struck out 7, and didn't walk a batter.

Kannapolis (CWS) won the game 2-1 in extra's.

BA was there---

Baseball America was on hand as Gavin Floyd (last year's fourth overall draft pick to the Phillies) and Kris Honel (16th overall to the White Sox) matched up in the South Atlantic League.

Floyd's and Honel's curveballs were rated as the top two breaking pitches among last year's high school draft class. Honel, 19, showed better command of his yesterday, baffling the Lakewood hitters for five innings. He varied the speed 71 and 76 mph and used it to get ahead in the count and to put hitters away.

Honel's knee-buckling curveball has tight rotation, biting down in the zone with an 11-to-5 break. He had outstanding command of all three of his pitches, including a solid changeup. His fastball sat at 86-91 after hitting 92 mph on the first pitch of the game, and he painted the corners with it. He showed no ill effects of the minor elbow tenderness that hindered him last summer. Honel struck out the side in the first and registered eight for the day.

Making his first pro start, Floyd had his fastball consistently clocked at 89-92 mph. He didn't have the same command of his curveball as Honel, but the 12-to-6 hammer can be unhittable. Most scouts grade Floyd's curveball a 70 on the 20-80 scouting scale, and some think it could develop into an 80 pitch as he learns to control it.

dougs78
04-08-2002, 12:12 PM
Honel's knee-buckling curveball has tight rotation, biting down in the zone with an 11-to-5 break

I'm far from a pitching expert, but could someone please explain to me how a right handed pitcher could have a curve that breaks 11-to-5?? Don't they mean 1-to-7??

Iguana775
04-08-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by dougs78

I'm far from a pitching expert, but could someone please explain to me how a right handed pitcher could have a curve that breaks 11-to-5?? Don't they mean 1-to-7??

depends on how you look at it. from the batters view, it is a 11-5 break. from the pitchers view, it is a 1-7 break.

dougs78
04-08-2002, 12:38 PM
AH HA! It all makes more sense now....

I guess as usual its all a matter of perspective...

Chisox353014
04-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
you're just a part of it

The 19 y/o 6'5 195 lb RHP dominated in his 2002 debut at the SAL. Honel was matched up against last year's 4th overall pick Gavin Floyd, and they both shined.

Honel threw 5 shutout innings, allowing just 3 hits, while striking out 8 and not issuing a walk.

Floyd went 5 1/3, allowing an unearned run on 2 hits, he struck out 7, and didn't walk a batter.

BA was there ---

Funny, but :moron wasn't.