PDA

View Full Version : Bob Wickman CUT

GregO23
08-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Rotoworld:
According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Braves have designated closer Bob Wickman for assignment.

This is quite a surprise, but if the Braves don't think Wickman is good enough to close any longer, it's likely the right move. It's doubtful he'd be of use in any other role. The Braves will likely go to a closer-by-committee for now, with Rafael Soriano and Peter Moylan becoming the favorite for saves. Octavio Dotel, who is out with a shoulder strain, could take over as the primary closer next month.

Another Mike Myers-like pickup? Hes a freeagent i bleieve after this season. Try him out and get rid of terrible Myers

TDog
08-24-2007, 07:10 PM
The Brewers might want him back.

Cuck_The_Fubs
08-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Finally. He's got to be one of the biggest guys in baseball, and I'm not joking.

getonbckthr
08-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Finally. He's got to be one of the biggest guys in baseball, and I'm not joking.
Ehh he isn't Rich Garces big.

Frater Perdurabo
08-24-2007, 09:39 PM
He was developed by the Sox. Why not bring him back?

ChiMan921
08-24-2007, 10:06 PM
:dtroll:Yes, Rich Garces, "El Guapo"

Good competition for the old Cub pitcher, Rick Rueschel

JB98
08-24-2007, 10:09 PM

Because he's done. All contending teams need pitching. So when a contending team cuts a pitcher, you pretty much know that guy isn't worth a look any longer.

I didn't like the Sox signing Myers. I'd be a hypocrite if I said they should sign Wickman.

FarWestChicago
08-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Rotoworld:

Another Mike Myers-like pickup? Hes a freeagent i bleieve after this season. Try him out and get rid of terrible MyersWe need more Mound Killers. The damn thing is too high and Jenks has lost too much weight.

soxinem1
08-25-2007, 11:40 AM

I remember him pitching in the 1991 Sox-cubs 'Crosstown Classic' game as a starter at then-Comiskey II. I think he was a AA pitcher back then.

I remember Jeff Torborg stating how much he liked his 'bulldog demeanor' back then, so Scheuler promptly traded him at the end of the year for Steve Sax.

But I agree with a few other posters. I think MIL has the inside track. He never wanted to leave there anyway.

russ99
08-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Because he's done. All contending teams need pitching. So when a contending team cuts a pitcher, you pretty much know that guy isn't worth a look any longer.

I didn't like the Sox signing Myers. I'd be a hypocrite if I said they should sign Wickman.

He's beyond done. Pretty sure about Myers too.

Kenny better not bring in the old-timers league bullpen in the offseason to save cash, we need guys who are younger and can pitch at the major league level.

Al Reyes big?? :D

Patrick134
08-25-2007, 06:00 PM
He's beyond done. Pretty sure about Myers too.

Kenny better not bring in the old-timers league bullpen in the offseason to save cash, we need guys who are younger and can pitch at the major league level.

Al Reyes big?? :D

Bringing in the right old time guy to fill a spot could actually work for one spot. However, I don't think Wickman is that guy. But, a guy who maybe failed as a closer could work well in the lesser role of setup guy.

Brian26
08-26-2007, 11:57 AM
I remember Jeff Torborg stating how much he liked his 'bulldog demeanor' back then, so Scheuler promptly traded him at the end of the year for Steve Sax.

Wasn't Melido Perez part of that trade too? The Sox got the short end of the stick considering Wickman's had a pretty decent career, although one could argue the Sox most likely wouldn't not have kept him for the entire 15-years since that trade.

Sax's stint in Chicago was forgettable except for that one insane catch he made in Milwaukee in early May of '92 while he was playing leftfield.

MDF3530
08-26-2007, 03:49 PM
No. He's fat and bad.

soxinem1
08-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Wasn't Melido Perez part of that trade too? The Sox got the short end of the stick considering Wickman's had a pretty decent career, although one could argue the Sox most likely wouldn't not have kept him for the entire 15-years since that trade.

Sax's stint in Chicago was forgettable except for that one insane catch he made in Milwaukee in early May of '92 while he was playing leftfield.

Yes, as was highly-regarded prospect and One-game MLB winner Domingo Jean.