PDA

View Full Version : Mike Lowell

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-24-2007, 03:34 PM
I had no idea this guy has the highest fielding percentage of any 3rd baseman in history! Hawk and DJ were talking about it during the game. He has something around .977 with Brooks Robinson coming in 2nd at .971. And yet he's only won one gold glove which was back in 05. Just goes to show you how big of a sham the gold glove award is.

FedEx227
08-24-2007, 04:00 PM
I had no idea this guy has the highest fielding percentage of any 3rd baseman in history! Hawk and DJ were talking about it during the game. He has something around .977 with Brooks Robinson coming in 2nd at .971. And yet he's only won one gold glove which was back in 05. Just goes to show you how big of a sham the gold glove award is.

No, because Fielding Percentage doesn't mean a damn thing.

I could stand in left field and only catch the balls hit directly at me while letting all the balls to my left and right drop to the ground and I'd have a 1.00 Fielding Percentage.

While no Fielding statistic is a great gage, Lowell doesn't really excell in anything besides fielding percentage.

Zone Rating: .774 / 5th in the AL among 3B / 10th in MLB
Range Factor: 2.49 / 8th in the AL among 3B / 14th in MLB

Another bad part about Fielding Percentage is its very much dependant on who's scoring the game. What one scorer thinks is an error another might not.

If you need a reason to know that Fielding Percentage is a complete sham.

MLB Leader: "Error"amis "E-5" Ramirez / .978

chaerulez
08-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Yeah, fielding percentage really only measures the balls you goof up that you get to. I think range is more important. Ramirez I think gets a bad rap on his defense. Since he posted 23 errors in 96 games with the Pirates in '03, he's been okay error wise. He might still be on the bottom half of all 3B, but he's not that bad.

FedEx227
08-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah, fielding percentage really only measures the balls you goof up that you get to. I think range is more important. Ramirez I think gets a bad rap on his defense. Since he posted 23 errors in 96 games with the Pirates in '03, he's been okay error wise. He might still be on the bottom half of all 3B, but he's not that bad.

He's gotten much better, but he still lacks the ability to charge the ball. I saw a game a week ago, he charged a big hop and proceed to fall on his ass.

Naturally, it was ruled a hit.

FarWestChicago
08-24-2007, 05:27 PM
No, because Fielding Percentage doesn't mean a damn thing.:buddylee

Fielding percentage is the only statistic that matters for defenders. I'm tired of all you ignorant *******s thinking any differently!

WhiteSox5187
08-24-2007, 06:09 PM
No, because Fielding Percentage doesn't mean a damn thing.

I could stand in left field and only catch the balls hit directly at me while letting all the balls to my left and right drop to the ground and I'd have a 1.00 Fielding Percentage.

While no Fielding statistic is a great gage, Lowell doesn't really excell in anything besides fielding percentage.

Zone Rating: .774 / 5th in the AL among 3B / 10th in MLB
Range Factor: 2.49 / 8th in the AL among 3B / 14th in MLB

Another bad part about Fielding Percentage is its very much dependant on who's scoring the game. What one scorer thinks is an error another might not.

If you need a reason to know that Fielding Percentage is a complete sham.

MLB Leader: "Error"amis "E-5" Ramirez / .978
How the hell do you determine Zone Rating and Range Factor? What is the formula?? I'm suspicious of those two stats....however Fielding Percentage is a sham.

FedEx227
08-24-2007, 06:16 PM
How the hell do you determine Zone Rating and Range Factor? What is the formula?? I'm suspicious of those two stats....however Fielding Percentage is a sham.

Range Factor is dividing putouts and assists by number of innings or games played at a position.

Zone Rating is the percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone".
http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/szymborski/zrgrid.jpg

Neither are concrete obviously, but much better than FP%.

chaerulez
08-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Jeter is another reason to look at how fielding percentage doesn't tell the story. He is usually middle of the road at best error wise, while his range factor is usually in the bottom. And this guy has a gold glove...

WhiteSox5187
08-25-2007, 04:55 AM
Jeter is another reason to look at how fielding percentage doesn't tell the story. He is usually middle of the road at best error wise, while his range factor is usually in the bottom. And this guy has a gold glove...
I've gotten into the Jeter debate here before, Jeter has obviously lost a step in the field (playing twelve years will do that for ya) but in his prime, he was one of the best shortstops in the game. And I'd still take him over Uribe in a heartbeat.

soxinem1
08-25-2007, 10:47 AM
He's gotten much better, but he still lacks the ability to charge the ball. I saw a game a week ago, he charged a big hop and proceed to fall on his ass.

Naturally, it was ruled a hit.

One thing he has in wrigley is unusually thick grass, which he did not have in PIT. The cubs have had the thick grass for decades, and once players like Ron Cey, Santo, Larry Bowa, DeJesus, etc. were losing range, the thicker the grass was manipulated. Almost every ballplark and groundscrew has their little tricks.

If Ramirez played somewhere like KC, STL, The Cell, or any turf park where true bounces and speed of the ball are issues, then Ramirez is a stork just standing there as ball whistle by him, or a DH as we know it.

chaerulez
08-28-2007, 07:41 PM
I've gotten into the Jeter debate here before, Jeter has obviously lost a step in the field (playing twelve years will do that for ya) but in his prime, he was one of the best shortstops in the game. And I'd still take him over Uribe in a heartbeat.

I hope you mean offense wise he's one of the best. Otherwise I'm going to assume ESPN propaganda has gotten to you.

I'd take him over Uribe to, but because of his ability to get on base and not swing at every damn pitch. Uribe is still the better defensive shortstop.