PDA

View Full Version : Season Tix Demand

RealFan
08-24-2007, 01:36 PM
What are you all hearing about demand for season tickets next year? I know of a company that is not going to renew its four Scout Seats and a buddy this morning told me he is aware of several season ticket holders who are not reupping.

I actually thought the resigning of MB and JD would keep people on board, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't want to go back to the pre World Series days (early 2005 and before) when only a few believed and even fewer showed up at the park. I'd like to think that we are in a new era where even a Sox/Royals weekday game will draw 30,000+. Am I being too optimistic? Hopefully the Sox fans in my limited universe are not representative of the larger fan base.

jenn2080
08-24-2007, 01:40 PM
What are you all hearing about demand for season tickets next year? I know of a company that is not going to renew its four Scout Seats and a buddy this morning told me he is aware of several season ticket holders who are not reupping.

I actually thought the resigning of MB and JD would keep people on board, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't want to go back to the pre World Series days (early 2005 and before) when only a few believed and even fewer showed up at the park. I'd like to think that we are in a new era where even a Sox/Royals weekday game will draw 30,000+. Am I being too optimistic? Hopefully the Sox fans in my limited universe are not representative of the larger fan base.

I would not mind getting rid of the people that are not fans. You are thinking a little to optimistic.

BainesHOF
08-24-2007, 01:46 PM
I would not mind getting rid of the people that are not fans. You are thinking a little to optimistic.

Just because a person doesn't renew season tickets doesn't mean they're no longer a fan.

The Sox are in for a considerable drop in season tickets. This year's relatively modest dip in attendance and the huge drop in TV ratings are a harbinger of things to come.

voodoochile
08-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Just because a person doesn't renew season tickets doesn't mean they're no longer a fan.

The Sox are in for a considerable drop in season tickets. This year's relatively modest dip in attendance and the huge drop in TV ratings are a harbinger of things to come.

That will in large depend on off-season moves as always. You might see less renewals as a percentage than one would hope for, but come December when the FA market takes off, if the Sox make some good moves they might get a bunch of those folks or others back.

jenn2080
08-24-2007, 02:02 PM

I should rephrase that, I do not mean it in that way, I mean the bull **** fans that come to the games after the Sox won in 05.

jabrch
08-24-2007, 02:19 PM
I am renewing my 4 full season tickets, and I have approval to convert my 8 27 game tickets into 4 or maybe 8 full season tickets.

I love the game - win, lose or draw. Nothing beats an evening at the ball park for me.

The Immigrant
08-24-2007, 02:52 PM
It sounds like the South Side Board of Tourism is in line for some serious layoffs.

spiffie
08-24-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm downgrading for at least one year simply due to expenses. Sadly, even if the Sox traded Ryan Bukvich for Johan Santana and signed A-Rod to a 5 year deal for $2 million a year I couldn't afford to renew this winter. I'll likely just buy some games from a friend with full season tickets.

DumpJerry
08-24-2007, 03:39 PM

I should rephrase that, I do not mean it in that way, I mean the bull **** fans that come to the games after the Sox won in 05.
Why do you care why these people are buying tickets or the nature of their fandom? Do they sit in your seats? Do they drink your beer? Do they eat your nachos? Do you welcome new members of your family with the same kind of open arms?

These sales bring in money which is used to make the Sox a competitive team. Without the money, we are the Royals. Be grateful as hell that they are here and pray they renew!

Steelrod
08-24-2007, 03:44 PM

Ithought the Scout Seats were a 5-6 year arrangement!

Parrothead
08-24-2007, 04:15 PM
I also read somewhere that the Sox are increasing ticket prices 1 - 3 dollars. Not sure if that is true. I can't see how they can after this season.

DumpJerry
08-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Ithought the Scout Seats were a 5-6 year arrangement!
It can be. You have to pay a deposit of about $8,000 per ticket to lock in for multiple years. Otherwise, you're subject to annual price increases. If you pay the deposit and cancel during the term, you lose the deposit. It is better cash management to pay the increase each year and invest the $8,000+ elsewhere.

dickallen15
08-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Why do you care why these people are buying tickets or the nature of their fandom? Do they sit in your seats? Do they drink your beer? Do they eat your nachos? Do you welcome new members of your family with the same kind of open arms?

These sales bring in money which is used to make the Sox a competitive team. Without the money, we are the Royals. Be grateful as hell that they are here and pray they renew!
Actually being the Royals is starting to look better and better every day. I think you're right. Putting up with people not paying much attention to the game, being there just to be there is far more tolerable than having a team that has no chance to do anything and knowing that for sure on opening day.

DumpJerry
08-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Actually being the Royals is starting to look better and better every day. I think you're right. Putting up with people not paying much attention to the game, being there just to be there is far more tolerable than having a team that has no chance to do anything and knowing that for sure on opening day.
The only people around me I notice are the season ticket holders in front and behind me. We talk like Sox fans and all is cool. What other conversations that are going on around me don't concern me, but it is music to my ears as all these people are ordering beers, etc!

comet2k
08-24-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm planning to renew next year for the weekend package, and I'll bet I can move to Premium Upper Box from regular upper box.

After the way the Sox have played the last year or so I would expect a few thousand full and partial season ticket holders to walk away. Some will be because of the team, some because of the money and some because the Cubs put on a better show this year.

People want to see winners, and after 2005 the Sox were the hottest team in town (at leas through the first half of 2006), so they attracted all kinds, even "fans" who don't know how many innings there are in a game.

The Sox have to win big to keep fans coming, and the Cubs don't. But when the Cubs win, they probably draw people from the Sox.

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm definitely renewing my Hit & Run plan, as is everyone I've talked to around me. I'm also gonna go in with the people next to me for a Stadium Club membership next year.

StillMissOzzie
08-24-2007, 11:37 PM

Are these the same Royals that the Sox were tied with before dropping a pair to the Red Sox today? We already ARE the Royals, with double the payroll!

The renewal or not of season tix could be due to any number of non-fan related reasons, whether it's time, money, kids, job commute, etc.

SMO
:(:

chisoxmike
08-24-2007, 11:43 PM
The Sox have, what, 22,000 season ticket holders? I say it would go down to about 15,000ish. Not a huge drop off.

Noneck
08-24-2007, 11:48 PM
The Sox have, what, 22,000 season ticket holders? I say it would go down to about 15,000ish. Not a huge drop off.

32% is not a huge drop?

chisoxmike
08-24-2007, 11:53 PM
32% is not a huge drop?

It could be worse.

esbrechtel
08-25-2007, 06:46 AM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/c/5/e/c5e0cf305e51195a946317d66cd01dc0.jpg
could be raining...

The Dude
08-25-2007, 10:06 AM

I'd say 17 or 18K. You overestimate the Chips type fans who want to cancel when the going gets tough.

RealFan
08-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Does anyone know how many season tix the Sox sold before 2005? On average? I thought it was in the high single digit range - 8,000 - 9,000. If that is true, and some of you think that we'll be down to the high teens, that is still a great improvement over the pre World Series season ticket base.

But if my memory has failed me and we already had 13,000 +/- season tickets sold, the bump up is not as signficant.

rdwj
08-25-2007, 10:42 AM
I may have to drop mine. I'd like to keep them, but the wife is losing her job and I'll need to make some cuts somewhere. Unfortunately, season tickets are close to the top of the list.

comet2k
08-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Does anyone know how many season tix the Sox sold before 2005? On average? I thought it was in the high single digit range - 8,000 - 9,000. If that is true, and some of you think that we'll be down to the high teens, that is still a great improvement over the pre World Series season ticket base.

But if my memory has failed me and we already had 13,000 +/- season tickets sold, the bump up is not as signficant.

The Sox had arond 12,000 season ticket holders at the start of 2005, and they cut it off at 22,000 at the start of 2006.

Noneck
08-25-2007, 07:36 PM
These are not the Bulls, it took generations to win a World Series but I have a feeling people are going to renew season tics to be assured of future series tics. (which may take generations again) This is a horrible team and the future looks bleak. The only way I would renew if I had some real sweet seats that I knew I could never get again. I remember the 60's and 70's which was the greatest time for me to go to games. If I had money, I'd get box seats if not I'd get OF grandstand seats. It was nice seeing games from different locations and the seats were good if you got to the park early. If the team stunk and didn't play hard, I didn't go. Very few were season tic holders. I know I'm living in the past but would love for those times to come back.