PDA

View Full Version : Players on the current 25 roster that have no business here in 2008

rowand33
08-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Of the guys on the current 25-man roster, who would you like to see leave the team?

My picks:
Uribe
Floyd
Myers
Bukvich
Wasserman
Andy Gonzalez
Erstad
Pods
Owens
Contreras

That's a lot of turnover. There's a good chance the last 4 might stick around.

Erstad better not. If he does, it better be as the 4th outfielder. Same for Pods.

As an everyday starter and leadoff man, Owens is ****ing terrible. I have no idea what people see in him. He can't hit for a lick and doesn't get on base. His leadoff tryout is going poorly. If we start 2008 with Jerry Owens on the team as a starter, we're DOA. I think he could be a servicable bench guy though. Good speed, not a defensive liability.

Contreras... I loved when we traded for him. I loved him in 2005-first half of 2006. He sucks now. I'd rather he turned it around than jettison him though. It's a hole in the rotation we just don't need.

Andy Gonzalez is terrible. Same with Floyd. Same with Myers.

Uribe just can't hit and seems lazy. It's time to move on.

Bukvich and Wasserman aren't killing us right now, but I hope that they aren't on the team. I don't have much confidence in them, and they don't appear to be. I want us to bring in some vets for the pen, and these are the two guys most likely to be replaced.

I really don't envy Kenny this offseason.

oeo
08-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Bukvich and Wasserman aren't killing us right now, but I hope that they aren't on the team. I don't have much confidence in them, and they don't appear to be. I want us to bring in some vets for the pen, and these are the two guys most likely to be replaced.

What's wrong with Wassermann? He's been very solid since his call-up, and is definitely earning a job for next year if he keeps it up.

soxfan13
08-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Said it last year off season said it this year mid season and i will say it one more time thanks for the memories you will always hold a special place in my heart but see you later....

PODS!!!!!:tongue:

BainesHOF
08-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Uribe - doesn't play hard and concentrate many times and doesn't produce
Erstad - shouldn't be on team now, injury plagued and not part of our future
Pods - latest injury is the final nail in his coffin
Owens - dumb: the more his averages decreases, the less he bunts

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-24-2007, 11:16 AM
IMO:
CINTRON
Floyd
Myers
A. Gonzalez
Erstad
Pods
Contreras
Uribe (only if there is a better replacement)

chaerulez
08-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Don't get what's wrong with Wassermann either. So far he's managed a 1.00 WHIP in 14 innings. Not saying he should be a lock for 2008, but he deserves a chance if he keeps it up.

The Dude
08-24-2007, 11:42 AM
My picks:
Uribe
Floyd
Myers
Andy Gonzalez
Pods
Contreras
and last but not least Cintron

The Dude
08-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Oh yeah...

PODS!!!

WhiteSox5187
08-24-2007, 02:18 PM
I think Wasserman has looked good of late, the rest I agree, suck and have no buisness on this team.

FedEx227
08-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Here's my list:
Uribe
Myers
Bukvich
Andy Gonzalez
Erstad
Pods
Contreras

With that being said, I'm certain all of those with the exception of Uribe/Pods will likely be White Sox in 08.

kittle42
08-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Erstad
Podsednik
Owens
Richar
Uribe
Cintron
Gonzalez
Contreras
Bukvich
Myers
Floyd

TDog
08-24-2007, 03:38 PM
It might be interesting to go back to the 2004 White Sox and list all the players you then believed had no business being on the 25-man roster.

veeter
08-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Uribe has to leave for us fans' sake. But to me, Owens and Wasserman are keepers for sure. I really don't understand the ripping of Owens. Yes, he needs to bunt more, but he is a terrific base stealer and getting better all the time. Two more hits today.

chisoxmike
08-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Podsednik
Owens
Richar
Uribe
Gonzalez
Contreras
Buckvich
Myers
Floyd
Cintron
Erstad (Only if he's going to be a starter)

salty99
08-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Podsednik
Owens
Richar
Uribe
Gonzalez
Contreras
Buckvich
Myers
Floyd
Cintron
Erstad (Only if he's going to be a starter)

You forgot Toby Hall

Tragg
Cintron, Bukvich, Meyers.

BTW, Gavin Floyd has given up ZERO earned runs in 5 of his last 7 appearances; and in 4 of those appearances, he hasn't given up a hit. He's marginalized, at the end of Ozzie's bench. Meanwhile Bukvich and Meyers (3 appearances, 3 annihilations) get plenty of work and get bombed game after game after game.

rowand33
Uribe has to leave for us fans' sake. But to me, Owens and Wasserman are keepers for sure. I really don't understand the ripping of Owens. Yes, he needs to bunt more, but he is a terrific base stealer and getting better all the time. Two more hits today.

I want him to be good as much as anybody; it could solve the CF problem next year..

But he doesn't walk, he doesn't hit, he struggles horribly against lefties, and he's mediocre against righties, and he ZERO pop.

I keep hearing about how good Owens has been since he was called up but his second half line is .255/.309/.314.

I think Owens can be useful off the bench because of his speed, but I've seen nothing that suggests he should be handed a starting job in 2008, and he certainly should not leadoff.

If he leads off in 2008, we will be in the cellar again.

I could see him as a possible 9 hitter as suggested earlier in the thread, but I'm really hoping the offseason is kinder to us than that.

FedEx227
08-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Good god guys. Do you honestly think we can turnover 3/4th of our starting lineup?

Thank god you guys aren't running a major league baseball team, if after 1/2 of a year of watching young players develop you want to fill gaps with high-priced FAs? You guys would be in the cellar both standings-wise and budget wise after two years. But hey I hear the Texas Rangers and Baltimore Orioles are calling oh and the 1999 Tampa Bay Devil Rays. I heard the 2004-2005 Diamondbacks would also like to speak to you.

Tragg
08-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I really don't understand the ripping of Owens. Yes, he needs to bunt more, but he is a terrific base stealer and getting better all the time. Two more hits today.
He needs to walk more.
His post-call up obp is around .310 - you can't start in the majors with that number and his power, to say nothing of leadoff. Get it up to .350, and he's a healthy Podsednik. Maybe he can do it.

FedEx227
08-24-2007, 04:48 PM
He needs to walk more.
His post-call up obp is around .310 - you can't start in the majors with that number and his power, to say nothing of leadoff. Get it up to .350, and he's a healthy Podsednik. Maybe he can do it.

True, true. And I think he can, he's shown great strides every week so hopefully if we can have enough patience we can let him ride it out and see what he can work with.

The main positions I think we need to replace next year: LF, SS. Those have to be the top priorities.

Tragg
08-24-2007, 05:00 PM
The main positions I think we need to replace next year: LF, SS. Those have to be the top priorities.
Owens needs to be in left field. And I'd like some more proof that he can get that OBP to .350.

We need a stud YOUNG centerfielder.

FedEx227
08-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Owens needs to be in left field. And I'd like some more proof that he can get that OBP to .350.

We need a stud YOUNG centerfielder.

That too. Either way, I'd love Owens to stay in our OF, whether we find a great LFer or a great CFer he can move either way. But with his arm he's, as you said, best suited in left.

LITTLE NELL
08-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Its easier to say who stays. This team needs an overhaul, I keep Buerhle, Vasquez, Jenks, Konerko and Fields for sure. Crede is a ?. Owens and Richar are on the bubble. everyone else is expendable.

misty60481
08-24-2007, 05:42 PM
I agree with Rowand33, Owens is not a major league player. We are getting pretty hopeless when we accept players like Owens, Gonzales, Richar, and look forward to them in starting line-up. KW promised Paulie, Mark B., JD, he would put a contending team on the field in 08, he owes us more than what is currently on the field.

FarWestChicago
08-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Konerko
Fields
Crede
Burly-mon
Jenks
AJ
Dye
Garland
Thome
Anderson

getonbckthr
08-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Podsednik-Can't stay healthy
Erstad- injuries and old
Contreras- grandpa
Uribe - just sucks
Mackowiak - gone already
Iguchi - Also gone already

BadBobbyJenks
08-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Konerko
Fields
Crede
Burly-mon
Jenks
AJ
Dye
Garland
Thome
Anderson

:tealpolice:HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

FarWestChicago
08-24-2007, 05:58 PM
:tealpolice:HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAExcuse me. If I want teal, I use it. How in the hell could you possibly think I don't know how to use this site and this board? Are you completely drunk or on harder drugs? :dunno:

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Pitching:
The entire bullpen except for Thornton, Wasserman, Logan, and Jenks, as well as Jose Sucktraras

Position Players:
Erstad, Cintron, Gonzalez, Uribe, Hall

BadBobbyJenks
08-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Excuse me. If I want teal, I use it. How in the hell could you possibly think I don't know how to use this site and this board? Are you completely drunk or on harder drugs? :dunno:

so you would like that whole list gone is that what you are saying?

getonbckthr
08-24-2007, 06:05 PM
BBJ is all about the hard questions, are you an attourney?

Daver
08-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Its easier to say who stays. This team needs an overhaul, I keep Buerhle, Vasquez, Jenks, Konerko and Fields for sure. Crede is a ?. Owens and Richar are on the bubble. everyone else is expendable.

Konerko
Fields
Crede
Burly-mon
Jenks
AJ
Dye
Garland
Thome
Anderson

Reading is a skill.

BadBobbyJenks
08-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Reading is a skill.

And the jokes are getting better:rolleyes:

getonbckthr
08-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Da duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh Another one bites the dust......................

BadBobbyJenks
08-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Da duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh Another one bites the dust......................

good tune

WSox597
08-24-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm not in favor of the wholesale slaughter suggested by the OP, but my number one on the list has to be Cintron.

I feel bad he has family problems, that is a shame. He seems like a nice fellow.

However, the man doesn't do anything well from a baseball standpoint. In other words, he can't hit, he can't throw, and he's not very good with the glove. Why is he still on the major league roster?

Every time the ball is hit to or near him, I hear the theme from "Mission Impossible" playing. The theme continues as he winds up for the throw. Terrible.

He should consider another line of work, pronto. The whole baseball thing ain't working out.

BadBobbyJenks
08-24-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm not in favor of the wholesale slaughter suggested by the OP, but my number one on the list has to be Cintron.

I feel bad he has family problems, that is a shame. He seems like a nice fellow.

However, the man doesn't do anything well from a baseball standpoint. In other words, he can't hit, he can't throw, and he's not very good with the glove. Why is he still on the major league roster?

Every time the ball is hit to or near him, I hear the theme from "Mission Impossible" playing. The theme continues as he winds up for the throw. Terrible.

He should consider another line of work, pronto. The whole baseball thing ain't working out.

I would honestly like to know what cintron brings to the table, probably my least favorite player on the team. What an offseason we are in for. But we got Josh Fields

getonbckthr
08-24-2007, 06:26 PM

I don't know I like Cintron as a Utility Middle Infielder when he is healthy he has been hurt all season with either his shoulder or elbow.

voodoochile
08-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Konerko
Fields
Crede
Burly-mon
Jenks
AJ
Dye
Garland
Thome
Anderson

I'd add Vazquez to this list because otherwise there are too many SP slots to fill.

Daver
08-24-2007, 06:53 PM
I'd add Vazquez to this list because otherwise there are too many SP slots to fill.

Vazquez has the best stuff on the staff, maybe one day he'll realize it and learn how to use it.

Frater Perdurabo
08-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Vazquez has the best stuff on the staff, maybe one day he'll realize it and learn how to use it.

He's been awfuly good lately. If he improved upon what he's done lately, he'd have to be considered a Cy Young candidate.

soxwon
08-24-2007, 09:00 PM
buckvich wasserman owens deserve it.
Especially owens he will be a key part of 08
just listen to Hawk!!

Red Barchetta
08-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Not a player, however I think the Greg Walker experiment needs to end this year. Time for some new blood in the hitting department...

kitekrazy
08-24-2007, 09:05 PM
I really don't understand the ripping of Owens. Yes, he needs to bunt more, but he is a terrific base stealer and getting better all the time. Two more hits today.

I feel the same way.

kitekrazy
08-24-2007, 09:12 PM
just listen to Hawk!!

I heard Mike North ripping Hawk and DJ for trying to sell the fans on Uribe.

A. Cavatica
08-24-2007, 09:13 PM
who would you like to see leave the team?

My picks:
Uribe
Floyd
Myers
Bukvich
Wasserman
Andy Gonzalez
Erstad
Pods
Owens
Contreras

:ozzie

"Don't forget me!"

JB98
08-24-2007, 09:17 PM
On the current 25-man roster?

The following should be gone:
Floyd
Contreras
Bukvich
Myers
Podsednik
Gonzalez
Uribe

The following should stay:
Buehrle
Vazquez
Danks
Thome
Konerko
Dye
AJ
Jenks
MacDougal
Thornton
Fields

On the bubble:
Owens
Richar
Garland
Erstad
Hall
Logan
Wassermann

FarWestChicago
08-24-2007, 09:21 PM
:ozzie

"Don't forget me!"You missed my list. Everybody but you should be gone. Let's face it, you are the Alpha and the Omega. :thumbsup:

A. Cavatica
08-24-2007, 09:38 PM
You missed my list. Everybody but you should be gone. Let's face it, you are the Alpha and the Omega. :thumbsup:

I'm certain that no teal was implied, so thank you!

thomas35forever
08-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Contreras
Uribe
Floyd
Gonzalez
Myers
Erstad
Bukvich
Wasserman

I don't want Pods to leave, but I think his time on the South Side is done.

FarWestChicago
08-24-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm certain that no teal was implied, so thank you!You would go 162-0 every year and smoke the post season. Your only problem would be if you met one of the other Nobel Prize winners from here. :D:

A. Cavatica
08-24-2007, 11:57 PM
You would go 162-0 every year and smoke the post season. Your only problem would be if you met one of the other Nobel Prize winners from here. :D:

They'd be my bullpen. :redneck

Fungo
08-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Toby Hall has one more RBI than I do.

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2007, 12:00 AM
I heard Mike North ripping Hawk and DJ for trying to sell the fans on Uribe.Hmm. If North wants Uribe gone...

FarWestChicago
08-25-2007, 12:14 AM
They'd be my bullpen. :redneckThere you go. You, dorf, champagne and a couple others. Get those Sox colors on and bring it home every year. I'm with you. :thumbsup:

StillMissOzzie
08-25-2007, 02:09 AM
Pods has repeatedly shown he is too fragile. I hope he's non-tendered next year. GrindErstad has a pricey option and is also hurt too much. I hope he's bought out next year. I assume that the Mike Myers experiment will end soon this year, rendering next year a moot point.

I think Uribe is gone next year, but based on the North/Hawk pissing contest the other day, not to mention the Uribe-pimping that Hawk & DJ are accused of (by North, but still...) and with the assumption that Hawk is the mouthpiece to the Sox boardroom, maybe he will still be here.

Andy Gonzalez is a non-issue if the Sox get a LF that plays full time. That leaves Jerry "Oh and Two" Owens. Hawk keeps saying he should be bunting at least twice a game, and I agree. But it seems that every time I am watching, Owens takes strike 1 and then fouls off strike 2!!! How the hell is he supposed to bunt then? Someone needs to drill into his noggin to bunt, and do it on the 1st or 2nd pitch.

Toby Hall has been none-too-impressive as a backup catcher. I wonder how hurt he still is from that spring training shoulder thing that he shunned surgery for. Maybe he can bounce back closer to his Tampa Bay level that made me think that this pickup was worthwhile in the first place.

SMO

:gulp:

russ99
08-25-2007, 02:11 AM
Out:

Erstad - believe it or not, Pods-haters, Scott has given us more production this year than Darin.
Uribe - Please Kenny - cut him ASAP!
Crede - too much salary for such a health risk and Boras shenanigans.
Terrero
A. Gonzalez
Floyd
Contreras
MacDougal
Aardsma
Bukvich
Myers - so far he's out (but I'm willing to be open minded the rest of the season)

Maybes:

Thome - when do the Phils stop paying part of his salary? He's really starting to decline and if his salary hit goes up the Sox may need to deal him while they can.
Owens - those 40 steals pushing up his trade value despite awful OBP. He is improving, though and could start in CF or LF, given a FA acquisition.
Pods - keep if signed extra cheap, is healthy and lights up Spring Training. Otherwise, deal at end of spring for need like Borchard.
Garland - only if MLB starter signed this off season and Kenny can get a king's ransom for him.
Hall - how is he going to play next season after playing for 4 months with a torn rotator cuff??

Keepers:
Usual untouchables (Paulie, Dye, A.J. , Fields, Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks, Thornton, Jenks)
Ozuna - hopefully healthy next year. He's been so missed this season.
Richar - looks pretty good, maybe a new hitting coach can help him hit for better average.
Wasserman. Looking like he'll get the long RH guy in the pen net year.
Logan - ditto for Lefty reliever.

kitekrazy
08-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Johan Santana would be on my list of who stays. Oh wait that's my Christmas list to Mr. Reinsdorf.

kittle42
08-25-2007, 12:15 PM
just listen to Hawk!!

Dude, Owens stinks.

Bukvich can't throw a strike.

oeo
08-25-2007, 12:19 PM
I don't get the dislike for Richar, either. Now, I know his batting average is well under .200 right now, but this guy has shown more potential with the bat than Owens ever has...and people want Owens starting in CF next year.

I really like this guy. And if we bring in a vet at SS and an outfield position (instead of going Sweeney-Fields, or Owens-Sweeney, etc.), then I want him starting.

JB98
08-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Out:

Erstad - believe it or not, Pods-haters, Scott has given us more production this year than Darin.

How do you figure?

I have Pods as gone next year, and Erstad on the bubble. I'd probably let Darin go because his option is too pricey, and I wouldn't want him as any more than a bench player.

But I'm not sure how Pods has given us more than Erstad this year.

voodoochile
08-25-2007, 01:47 PM
How do you figure?

I have Pods as gone next year, and Erstad on the bubble. I'd probably let Darin go because his option is too pricey, and I wouldn't want him as any more than a bench player.

But I'm not sure how Pods has given us more than Erstad this year.

Erstad gives the team more options because he can play 1B and spell Paulie when he needs a rest. Erstad can also actually play CF something Pods would struggle with. If Owens goes in as the starter and falls on his face, Erstad would give the Sox an option to put out there that would at least be serviceable.

Besides, I don't see Erstad having a problem coming off the bench. What are you going to do with Pods off the bench, PR and LF when whoever the starter is needs a break? If they do indeed move Fields to LF, there is no place on the team for Pods.

jabrch
08-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Dude, Owens stinks.

Since July 5, JO is hitting .270/.316. That's not terrible for a guy in his first 200 ABs in the bigs. He has a lot of talent, and does a lot of things that winning teams need from their leadoff hitter. There's no reason to believe he won't continue to get better as he did in the second half this year.

soxfanreggie
08-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Going with the original question, I would hope to replace the following players. However, I will note that some would have a spot in Charlotte or some other place in the minors.

Uribe-thank you for what you did, but this is a position where a definite upgrade is needed.
Floyd-Charlotte to start the season.
Myers-I would invite him to ST, see what he has, maybe give him a AAA spot if he can't make it to possibly tutor some of the pitchers we have there. To me, it depends on if he wants to continue playing baseball and is willing to live the AAA lifestyle for a while.
Bukvich-AAA, if we're going to have someone like Wasserman as a last option out of the pen, this guy doesn't have a spot on my roster.
Andy Gonzalez-minors somwhere
Pods-wouldn't mind him in the minors to see if he can stay healthy, but that wouldn't happen. He'd catch on somewhere. He could easily catch on with a Tampa Bay or KC-a team willing to take a risk for a player who won't need to be paid that much. If he was healthy, I'd start him in LF. However, I'm not even 50% certain that he could stay healthy.
Contreras-same as Uribe

As for Owens and Erstad, I would probably keep them as my back-up OFs. Owens gives you a pinch runner. If he can improve his hitting, he could stick up here. Erstad can stay if he is relegated to the bench to start the year.

Might be hard to replace a lot of OF, but it depends on if they move Fields out there or not. I would like to sign Hunter, Cameron, or Rowand to take over CF.

Hitmen77
08-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Uribe-thank you for what you did, but this is a position where a definite upgrade is needed.
Floyd-Charlotte to start the season.
Myers-I would invite him to ST, see what he has, maybe give him a AAA spot if he can't make it to possibly tutor some of the pitchers we have there. To me, it depends on if he wants to continue playing baseball and is willing to live the AAA lifestyle for a while.
Bukvich......

Floyd is out of options for next year, so having him start the season at Charlotte is not an option (no pun intended). If I'm not mistaken, he either has to make the 25 man roster next April or the Sox have to "outright" him to the minors - which I think means another team could claim him on waivers.

JorgeFabregas
08-25-2007, 06:11 PM
I think Thornton is under contract so it's not likely that he'll be gone, but I'm surprised to see how many people *want* him back. I get the impression that people think he turned it around after a rocky start. His numbers after the break aren't much better than his numbers before the break.

JB98
08-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Erstad gives the team more options because he can play 1B and spell Paulie when he needs a rest. Erstad can also actually play CF something Pods would struggle with. If Owens goes in as the starter and falls on his face, Erstad would give the Sox an option to put out there that would at least be serviceable.

Besides, I don't see Erstad having a problem coming off the bench. What are you going to do with Pods off the bench, PR and LF when whoever the starter is needs a break? If they do indeed move Fields to LF, there is no place on the team for Pods.

Agree in principle. In baseball terms, it makes sense for Erstad to return as a role player off the bench. In financial terms, can the Sox afford to pick up his pricey option?

A. Cavatica
08-25-2007, 06:55 PM
I don't get the dislike for Richar, either. Now, I know his batting average is well under .200 right now, but this guy has shown more potential with the bat than Owens ever has...

I don't think Owens is a starting CF, but didn't he win a minor league batting title? If he can hit for average AND steal bases, he could be better than Pods. I've seen enough potential this year to hang on to him.

Richar, too -- for the record.

JB98
08-25-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't think Owens is a starting CF, but didn't he win a minor league batting title? If he can hit for average AND steal bases, he could be better than Pods. I've seen enough potential this year to hang on to him.

Richar, too -- for the record.

I would like to see Owens as the LF and ninth-place hitter next season. He's not ready for the leadoff spot yet, but there's no reason to pull him out of the lineup and stunt his progress.

Hitmen77
08-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Who should be outta here in '08:

- Uribe (lack of replacement is a big problem, but his offense is terrible and now even is defense is bad)
- Contreras ($20 million left on contract will make him hard to move)
- Cintron
- Pods
- Erstad (I wouldn't mind keeping him as a 4th OF, but only if the Sox can pay his $3.5 million option and not let it affect their pursuit of other players)
- Bukvich, Myers, ...heck - everyone on our bullpen except Jenks sucks, but I know we won't be able to replace 5 or 6 relievers for next year. :(:
- Greg Walker

Who should stay:
- AJ
- Konerko
- Thome
- Richar
- Fields
- Crede (keep if healthy, untradable if not healthy)
- Dye
- Ozuna
- Buehrle
- Vazquez
- Danks (big dropoff in late '07 a concern for me)
- Garland (unless Sox can swing blockbuster deal to get some real MLB talent in exchange for him - not AA players)
- Jenks
- Wasserman (only callup I can think of for bullpen that didn't look embarrassingly bad)

Tragg
08-26-2007, 12:00 AM
As a regular, I'd rather Pods; as a bench player, I'd rather Erstad. Erstad can play first defensively, but you give up a lot when you use a marginal hitter in such a power position.

But I'd like to get a real hitter. Owens is likely going to be the slap hitter on the team and Ozuna off the bench - that's enough. We went into this year with Mack being the only bench hitter who could drive the ball - that's no bench.
Dye, Konerko, Thome and perhaps Crede could all use regular rest. If the Sox could get a couple of major league hitters on the bench, that would help a lot. Of course, we have openings for legitimate ml hitters in the starting lineup as well.

Tragg
08-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Since July 5, JO is hitting .270/.316. That's not terrible for a guy in his first 200 ABs in the bigs. He has a lot of talent, and does a lot of things that winning teams need from their leadoff hitter. There's no reason to believe he won't continue to get better as he did in the second half this year.
What about him tells you he has a lot of talent? Serious question - just wondering.
To me, he looks limited, but he plays hard and is doing the best he can.
He needs some plate discipline. That obp needs to escalate 40 points and he's got to walk more to do it.
Sweeney needs to get up here...and BA needs to get healthy and get up here. There are obvious available at bats for young hitters on this team.

I would like to see Owens as the LF and ninth-place hitter next season. He's not ready for the leadoff spot yet, but there's no reason to pull him out of the lineup and stunt his progress.
To me, if he can't hit well enough to lead-off, he shouldn't start. (and he wouldn't be that helpful of a bench player either). If he can hit .350 obp, which is good enough to lead off, he probably should, unless a miracle happens and we fine a real stud leadoff hitter. Otherwise, we have no room in the lineup for a .330 obp hitter with no power (at least I hope we don't - we went down that road this year and we have the worst O in the league).
I'd like to see Richar get some at bats at spots other than the 8/9 hole. He looks like a better hitter than Owens to me and he has more plate patience. His stats don't show it, but they aren't that far behind Owens' either.

SoxSpeed22
08-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Floyd
Contreras
Myers
Bukvich
Gonzalez
Uribe
Pods
Thome has business on this team, but should be traded, salary and injuries

KyWhiSoxFan
08-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Uribe
Thome
Pods
Contreras
Garland
Erstad
Thornton

This team needs a complete retooling. It needs two starting pitchers, a SS, CF, LF, and three new arms in the bullpen.

I'm tired of the base-clogging middle of the order lineup, so I figure of the three Konerko, Thome, and Dye, the best option is to trade Thome because I think Dye and Konerko are on the team no matter what. Might be able to get something for Thome.

Rockabilly
08-26-2007, 09:12 AM
My list to be gone next year would be
Uribe
Contreras
Thome
Pods
Erstad
Gonzalez
Thornton
Myers
Hall
Floyd
Macdougal
Bukvich
Cintron

I also don't want to see
Aardsma
Sisco

Bucky F. Dent
08-26-2007, 01:45 PM

CF, LF, SS, Bullpen.

Procol Harum
08-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Who'd'a'thunk last July that it would have come to this? :(:

For my .02 the Sox should jettison:

-Pods (his physical plant is just too unreliable--thanks for helpin' with the '05 ring, we'll remember your contribution with great fondness)
-Contreras (done, I fear...see Pods addendum above)
-Uribe (problem here is finding an actual upgrade which I guarantee you is easier said than done at SS...see Pods addendum above)
-Cintron (stinky)
-McDougall (head case)
-Myers (please...)
-Crede (let someone else take the risk on his back--see Pods addendum above)
-Thome (age is a creepin' up--hope he gets to 500 in a Sox uniform, but...can't afford his base-clogging on top of Konerko's and the latter's health and younger age makes him a better bet)
-Gonzalez (Charlotte is nice...)

skottyj242
08-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Pitching:
The entire bullpen except for Thornton, Wasserman, Logan, and Jenks, as well as Jose Sucktraras

Position Players:
Erstad, Cintron, Gonzalez, Uribe, Hall

What do you have against Toby Hall? He is a back-up catcher, what has he done that's so horrible besides be awesome?

grv1974
08-27-2007, 11:39 AM
What do you have against Toby Hall? He is a back-up catcher, what has he done that's so horrible besides be awesome?
How is Toby Hall awesome?

SBSoxFan
08-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Who'd'a'thunk last July that it would have come to this? :(:

For my .02 the Sox should jettison:

-Pods (his physical plant is just too unreliable--thanks for helpin' with the '05 ring, we'll remember your contribution with great fondness)

:?: Are you a control engineer?

UserNameBlank
08-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Who should go:

1. Erstad
2. Podsednik
3. Bukvich - that high offspeed **** is going to get him in big trouble soon enough.
4. Crede - because Fields said it took him more than half the year to get reacquainted with 3B after playing LF. He's the best part of our future and he should be given 3B 100%. Let the kid develop.
5. Garland - because we need to get younger in some areas and we aren't going to get the players we need unless we trade him. Plus he's a FA after '08 and we don't need a $14 million #3 starter.
6. Mike Myers even though he'll be here anyway. He's not a bad acquistion as he's had a lot of success during his career, but at some point he has to end up taking the spot of Logan or Wassermann. IMO, Logan is better vs. lefties, Wassermann is better vs. righties, and Myers isn't a very good full inning guy.
7. Uribe. His AB's are regularly terrible. Since we're probably not going to contend next year unless we either spend Cub money over the offseason and/or make a lot of trades for productive young players PS2 style, we don't need his glove as much as we'd normally do. Get a young SS in here and let him play.
8. Cintron. What's Wilson Valdez doing? Probably nothing. He can't hit either but he can at least play defense. Plus he'll come via trade for the price of a bag of balls and would make the minimum.
9. Anderson. Maybe we can get a decent project for him? If not, whatever. He needs a chance to play when he's healthy and he's not going to get it here.

Who should stay (besides the obvious):

1. Contreras, unless we can dump him without eating more than a couple million per. If we have to dump him for nothing and still pick up say $5 mil per I don't think that helps us. In that case we might as well hold on to him and look at him as a $5mil setup man.
2. Andy Gonzalez. He's not exactly a great hitter but he can play all over the field and can draw a walk. There's nothing wrong with him as our UT guy, so long as Ozzie doesn't bat him at the top of the order anymore.
3. Fields and at 3B fulltime.
4. Wassermann becase he gets righties out. Don't let lefties hit against him though because lefties can and will kill him.
5. Logan because he gets lefties out.
6 & 7. MacDougal and Thornton because a good first half raises their value enough to be traded for some good prospects.

Who knows:

Floyd, Masset, Sisco, Owens, Terrero, Aardsma.

If Owens is going to play every day he should play LF, not CF, because his arm is terrible. Otherwise Owens should be the 4th OF. If Owens plays LF then Terrero should stick around as the 4th OF.

Aren't Floyd, Masset, Sisco, and Aardsma all out of options next year? Something needs to be done with this group. Probably make them throw ins in a trade. We don't have spots in the pen for them and the top two candidates for the pen should be 1. Gio 2. Egbert.

skottyj242
08-27-2007, 07:23 PM
How is Toby Hall awesome?

How is he not? How are you even trying to talk smack to me? He is the nicest and most fan friendly guy on the team. He has made it bearable in left field to hang out without Man Soo. He is also the most fan approachble player on the road and he will do anything he can to get you a ball or autograph. BTW get more posts before you talk ****.

soxfanreggie
08-27-2007, 08:20 PM
I think he was thinking of "How is Toby Hall 'awesome' as in his production in games?"

I understand how we would want friendly ball players, but I would also like an OBP higher tahn .222 and a BA higher than .216. He also has one RBI in 88 at-bats.

skottyj242
08-27-2007, 08:29 PM
I think he was thinking of "How is Toby Hall 'awesome' as in his production in games?"

I understand how we would want friendly ball players, but I would also like an OBP higher tahn .222 and a BA higher than .216. He also has one RBI in 88 at-bats.

I'm pretty sure you hit it on the head. 88 at bats and don't forget the major surgery he had earlier this year. I'm still wondering what you guys want in a backup catcher. Pudge Rodruguez? I'm sure he's pretty cheap. Do you all miss the days of Gustavo Molina?

Daver
08-27-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm pretty sure you hit it on the head. 88 at bats and don't forget the major surgery he had earlier this year. I'm still wondering what you guys want in a backup catcher. Pudge Rodruguez? I'm sure he's pretty cheap. Do you all miss the days of Gustavo Molina?

Toby Hall didn't have surgery.

kittle42
08-27-2007, 08:48 PM

Good point. Hall stinks, but how many "good" backup catchers are there in this sport? Hell, many teams don't have one good catcher, period.

Brian26
08-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Toby Hall didn't have surgery.

In retrospect, that might have been a terrible move too. If he would have gotten that out of the way in April, he'd be on his way to possibly coming back strong next year. As it stands now, he's still a huge question mark and still may need surgery, and he may miss next year.

Nellie_Fox
08-27-2007, 11:35 PM
How is he not? How are you even trying to talk smack to me? He is the nicest and most fan friendly guy on the team. He has made it bearable in left field to hang out without Man Soo. He is also the most fan approachble player on the road and he will do anything he can to get you a ball or autograph. BTW get more posts before you talk ****.Settle down. No one was talking smack. And never forget the fundamental tenet that you are not your post count.

BadBobbyJenks
08-28-2007, 02:12 AM
still have only seen one post that was done the way west did it but whatever I must be an idiot without reading skills