PDA

View Full Version : This could be a VERY long day into night

Fenway
08-24-2007, 11:41 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/08/rain_rain_go_aw_1.html

This could be a long, long day for the Red Sox.
The Chicago area has experienced some severe weather (http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videoplayer.html?clip=2907&collection=topstory&cm_ven=NEWS&cm_cat=Video&cm_pla=Headline&cm_ite=wxcenter) -- heavy rains, high winds -- over the last 24 hours, and more of the same is expected today. With yesterday's game postponed, the Red Sox and White Sox are slated to play two today (2 p.m. and 8 p.m.), but the outlook for getting those games in is looking decidedly cloudy.

According to weather.com, the Chicago area could get more thunderstorms, possibly severe, this afternoon. Chance of rain is listed at 90 percent and "flooding is possible." The forecast doesn't get much better tonight, when the chance of rain is listed at 80 percent.

PRESS NOTES
http://presspass.mlb.com/images/logo_cws_small.gif (http://presspass.mlb.com/pp_main.asp?d=36402)
http://presspass.mlb.com/pp_main.asp?u=-3&d=36402l (http://presspass.mlb.com/pp_main.asp?u=-3&d=36402l)

http://presspass.mlb.com/images/logo_bos_small.gif (http://presspass.mlb.com/pp_main.asp?d=36403)
http://presspass.mlb.com/pp_main.asp?u=-3&d=36403l (http://presspass.mlb.com/pp_main.asp?u=-3&d=36403l)

Radar doesn't look bad now......but
http://weather.cbs2chicago.com/auto/wbbmV2/Region/Midwest/2xRadar.html?gimg=http://llnw.radar.cbslocal.com/wbbm/ADI_CBS_Rad_large.jpg&gtitle=

eriqjaffe
08-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Tripleheader tomorrow!

HerzogVon
08-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Caught the 1:05 AM rebroadcast of Ch. 7's 10:00 news. Jerry Taft predicted that, according to the models, the worst is yet to come. How reassuring... :(:

DSpivack
08-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Tripleheader tomorrow!

:kneeslap:

Fenway
08-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Good Lord.....

Now they talking about a day game on Monday with Boston and then the Sox play Tampa at night.......

downstairs
08-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Good Lord.....

Now they talking about a day game on Monday with Boston and then the Sox play Tampa at night.......

Its been done before, hasn't it? In Cleveland some years ago?

salty99
08-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Good Lord.....

I am confused...which game would get moved to Monday? Friday night's?

yazz32
08-24-2007, 12:12 PM
So looks like maybe good idea not to head to the park for tonight's game...

Looks like maybe I'll have a double header on Sat to go too...

tebman
08-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Drag. Bummer. Etc. :(:

I've got tickets to tonight's game and it was going to be dicey anyway for me: because of power outages, a bunch of stoplights weren't working last night and I didn't get home until 8:00. Thought I was going to lose my mind sitting in traffic pointlessly with no clue as to the reason for the holdup. I hope I get home in a timely way to leave for tonight's game, but then it's likely to be a rainout.

I've got tickets for Monday afternoon, which is a makeup for the rainout of the May 26 WSI Fest game I attended. If the weather keeps up I wonder if the Monday makeup game will be played. Argghh! Dylan Thomas said it best:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

asboog
08-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Good Lord.....

I hope not. I put in for a vacation day on Monday because I have tickets to the Tampa game.

Fenway
08-24-2007, 12:49 PM
I am confused...which game would get moved to Monday? Friday night's?
Whatever can't be played

DH tomorrow is not possible because of FOX

They are talking to ESPN to pick up a possible Sunday night game and feed it to Chicago and Boston....ESPN would use the FOX truck

CHIsoxNation
08-24-2007, 01:08 PM
I hope not. I put in for a vacation day on Monday because I have tickets to the Tampa game.

Same here. This was supposed to be a birthday present to my mom back in May. This is just getting ridiculous.

Fenway
08-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Mr. Sun has arrived at 35th St

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Whatever can't be played

They are talking to ESPN to pick up a possible Sunday night game and feed it to Chicago and Boston....ESPN would use the FOX truck
Then How do the Cubs get away with doing noon games on Saturdays? If both of these games were washed-out, it would be the most convenient to do two double-headers, one on Saturday, and one on Sunday. There needs to be a clause written in the MLB contract with FOX, because scheduling needs *should* superceed anything FOX would want!

voodoochile
08-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Then How do the Cubs get away with doing noon games on Saturdays? If both of these games were washed-out, it would be the most convenient to do two double-headers, one on Saturday, and one on Sunday. There needs to be a clause written in the MLB contract with FOX, because scheduling needs *should* superceed anything FOX would want!

You can do a noon game on Saturday if the game doesn't interfere with Fox broadcast or if you don't plan to televise it, but the Sox are scheduled to be on Fox at 3:00 so an early game would probably interfere with that broadcast unless the Sox wanted to make it an 11:00 start and not empty the park between games. The Sox WANT to play a split DH for financial reasons.

Chicken Dinner
08-24-2007, 01:23 PM

They just need to get rid of the FOX exclusive rights on Saturday. It's that "anything for a buck" attitude that's the problem. The game itself no longer takes precedence, it's all about the coin now.

voodoochile
08-24-2007, 01:25 PM
They just need to get rid of the FOX exclusive rights on Saturday. It's that "anything for a buck" attitude that's the problem. The game itself no longer takes precedence, it's all about the coin now.

Yeah, but it cuts both ways. Without that "coin" there is no game...

Huisj
08-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Yeah, but it cuts both ways. Without that "coin" there is no game...

Ok, so they can have their coin, but put in a few reasonable exceptions for extreme situations like when it rains every stinking day for a week and it's the only time a team is in town.

downstairs
08-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Ok, so they can have their coin, but put in a few reasonable exceptions for extreme situations like when it rains every stinking day for a week and it's the only time a team is in town.

Yes, MLB should have negotiated something where each team gets X number of "exceptions" they can use anytime.

So the Sox couldn't broadcast a noon game EVERY Saturday, but maybe they get 3-5 that they could use any time for emergency reasons.

JorgeFabregas
08-24-2007, 01:32 PM
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KILCHICA30

soxfanreggie
08-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Fox would still choose to broadcast the games even without those rights. They would lose too much viewership without them. Maybe they only give $3 billion instead of $3,050,000,000. Basically, that money just goes to pay players more, and I don't think they're willing to give up huge salaries, even if it meant they had to take a slight reduction in pay.

Chicken Dinner
08-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Fox would still choose to broadcast the games even without those rights. They would lose too much viewership without them. Maybe they only give $3 billion instead of $3,050,000,000. Basically, that money just goes to pay players more, and I don't think they're willing to give up huge salaries, even if it meant they had to take a slight reduction in pay.

It goes to pay owners and MLB front office people more.

HotelWhiteSox
08-24-2007, 02:00 PM
So looks like maybe good idea not to head to the park for tonight's game...

Looks like maybe I'll have a double header on Sat to go too...

The Score says there will only be one game Sat, and if needed, a DH would be Sunday

Whatever can't be played

I don't get why the Sat game would have to start at 11-12? Why not start game 2 after, like around 6-7? Wouldn't they not have to worry about FOX then?

soxfan80
08-24-2007, 02:00 PM
You can do a noon game on Saturday if the game doesn't interfere with Fox broadcast or if you don't plan to televise it, but the Sox are scheduled to be on Fox at 3:00 so an early game would probably interfere with that broadcast unless the Sox wanted to make it an 11:00 start and not empty the park between games. The Sox WANT to play a split DH for financial reasons.you CAN televise a 11am or 12pm game. but since fox already called dibs on saturday, they are stuck.

soxfan80
08-24-2007, 02:01 PM
The Score says there will only be one game Sat, and if needed, a DH would be Sunday

I don't get why the Sat game would have to start at 11-12? Why not start game 2 after, like around 6-7? Wouldn't they not have to worry about FOX then?
players want to party too

StillMissOzzie
08-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Mr. Sun has arrived at 35th St

Was he wearing a poncho?

Good Lord.....

So where does this put ticket holders for the Monday game, which is ALREADY a makeup game? And why isn't Boston the night game?

I'm so confused...

SMO
:?:

voodoochile
08-24-2007, 02:16 PM

Like I said, this is as much about the Sox desires as it is issues with Fox. The Sox WANT to have a split DH so they can fill the park twice and maximize their revenue. IF the Sox were willing to forgo that requirement, they could have a game before or after the Fox broadcast game, but they aren't.

tebman
08-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Good Lord.....

So where does this put ticket holders for the Monday game, which is ALREADY a makeup game? And why isn't Boston the night game?

I'm so confused...

SMO
:?:

That's what's got me stewing here. I've got tickets from the May 26th rainout, which are now supposed to be used for the August 27th makeup game. A game between two sputtering teams like TB and the White Sox are not going to make the cut if MLB has to decide between that game and the one with the contending Red Sox.

Nuts.

Fenway
08-24-2007, 03:19 PM
The Red Sox avoid the Fox Saturday trap by playing at night ( 7 PM start )

The Flubs DON'T have that option as the City of Chicago won't let them play on Saturday night

The rules are so insane that if you do televise a game at Noon or 1 PM Eastern....if the game runs past 4 you can't have a postgame show. YES has this problem as the NYY's always play on Sat afternoon

MarySwiss
08-24-2007, 06:35 PM

A DH on Sunday? Say it ain't so! If it is, I'll have to write two TBGRs, and they'd better win at least ONE of those games! :?:

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2007, 06:46 PM
A DH on Sunday? Say it ain't so! If it is, I'll have to write two TBGRs, and they'd better win at least ONE of those games! :?:
You can be sure that tonight's is going to be short and NOT sweet if tonight's game is any bit like this afternoon's. :angry:

I switched the TV to Still Standing on TBS after Boston hit the home run to give them the eight-run lead in the nineth inning. Fortunately I'll be in the Stadium Club for the vast majority of tonight's game so I won't have to deal with as many Sawx fans.

MarySwiss
08-24-2007, 06:51 PM
You can be sure that tonight's is going to be short and NOT sweet if tonight's game is any bit like this afternoon's. :angry:

No doubt! Let's hope they kick Boston's ass tonight.

MrMarySwiss has (once or twice) questioned the "negative" tone of a TBGR I wrote after the Sox stunk out the joint. My response? "Sox fans, unlike Cubs fans, know when the team sucks, and the last thing they want is somebody pumping sunshine..."

Anyway, one of my friends has a T-shirt that says it all: "There's nothing lovable about losing."

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2007, 06:55 PM
No doubt! Let's hope they kick Boston's ass tonight.

MrMarySwiss has (once or twice) questioned the "negative" tone of a TBGR I wrote after the Sox stunk out the joint. My response? "Sox fans, unlike Cubs fans, know when the team sucks, and the last thing they want is somebody pumping sunshine..."

Anyway, one of my friends has a T-shirt that says it all: "There's nothing lovable about losing."
You're darn right about that, Mary. Fortunately, my boyfriend has told me that Schilling's sucked lately...Gotta capitalize on that!

kitekrazy
08-24-2007, 11:04 PM
You're darn right about that, Mary. Fortunately, my boyfriend has told me that Schilling's sucked lately...Gotta capitalize on that!

Schilling's probably saying the same thing about the Sox.