PDA

View Full Version : Next Years Draft

JohnTucker0814
08-24-2007, 11:05 AM
For all you guys that follow college or high school baseball are there any projections of who the top 10 prospects for next years draft are? I know I'd like to see a top SS prospect, but honestly, I just want the best prospect available... regardless of position (besides SP). Just curious if there are any Cameron Maybin, Ryan Braun, Hunter Pence out there for us to take next year. Looks like we'll get our first top 10 pick in a couple decades!

Britt Burns
08-24-2007, 01:33 PM
For all you guys that follow college or high school baseball are there any projections of who the top 10 prospects for next years draft are? I know I'd like to see a top SS prospect, but honestly, I just want the best prospect available... regardless of position (besides SP). Just curious if there are any Cameron Maybin, Ryan Braun, Hunter Pence out there for us to take next year. Looks like we'll get our first top 10 pick in a couple decades!

Assuming Jordan Danks keeps developing like he has at UT and that he is available when the Sox pick, I have to think he is one of the front-runners. The Sox love him, and while unsuccessful at signing him in 2005 as a later-round flier pick, he and the organization had great talks, and this before his brother came to the Sox.

Personally I would love to see the Sox get a middle infielder who can hit and play D, but the draft being what it is you have to take the best talent. God forbid we have another Jason Dellareo over Lance Berkman kind of pick.

Sockinchisox
08-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Are Jordan and John twins? They both look exactly alike, I know this is kinda OT but when I saw his pic I thought he was John.

Randar68
08-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Are Jordan and John twins? They both look exactly alike, I know this is kinda OT but when I saw his pic I thought he was John.

Nope, Jordan is a couple (I think 3) years younger...

champagne030
08-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Assuming Jordan Danks keeps developing like he has at UT and that he is available when the Sox pick, I have to think he is one of the front-runners. The Sox love him, and while unsuccessful at signing him in 2005 as a later-round flier pick, he and the organization had great talks, and this before his brother came to the Sox.

Personally I would love to see the Sox get a middle infielder who can hit and play D, but the draft being what it is you have to take the best talent. God forbid we have another Jason Dellareo over Lance Berkman kind of pick.

There's some very good talent available in the college ranks next season. UCLA has a nice SS prospect, but I haven't seen how he's done in the summer leagues. Jordan will need to have a MONSTER season to be considered for the spot the Sox will be picking next season. There's
also a lot of pitching talent out West for this upcoming college season.

JohnTucker0814
08-24-2007, 06:43 PM
There's some very good talent available in the college ranks next season. UCLA has a nice SS prospect, but I haven't seen how he's done in the summer leagues. Jordan will need to have a MONSTER season to be considered for the spot the Sox will be picking next season. There's
also a lot of pitching talent out West for this upcoming college season.

Any names to throw out there?

California Sox
08-25-2007, 01:23 AM
Any names to throw out there?

I know who I'd want. link (http://vucommodores.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/alvarez_pedro00.html)

08-25-2007, 01:26 AM
What spot are the White Sox projected to pick at if the season ended today?

California Sox
08-25-2007, 01:49 AM
What spot are the White Sox projected to pick at if the season ended today?

It is bunched. They are currently tied with Texas for the second worst record in baseball, so they would pick either second or third, but San Fran, Florida, and Pittsburgh are only percentage points away so it'll be a dogfight.

Tampa Bay (as usual) has the first pick all but locked up.

08-25-2007, 01:51 AM
It is bunched. They are currently tied with Texas for the second worst record in baseball, so they would pick either second or third, but San Fran, Florida, and Pittsburgh are only percentage points away so it'll be a dogfight.

Tampa Bay (as usual) has the first pick all but locked up.

I love the term "dogfight" applied to fighting for the worst record of the league :smile:.

Tampa Bay eventually has to click with their talent have a good season one of these years? You would think so at least.

hold2dibber
08-25-2007, 02:08 AM
God forbid we have another Jason Dellareo over Lance Berkman kind of pick.

Sigh. This is the kind of reminder that makes me miss the skate punk kid projectile vomiting picture. Oh wait, here it is.
:chunks

Ahh. Now I feel better.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-25-2007, 11:17 AM

I don't think Danks is eligible for the draft this year. He just completed his sophomore year and college players have to wait to come out after their junior year.

Britt Burns
08-25-2007, 12:40 PM
I don't think Danks is eligible for the draft this year. He just completed his sophomore year and college players have to wait to come out after their junior year.

He will be eligible for the 2008 draft.

soxfanreggie
08-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Pedro Alvarez is definitely someone I would like to see on our roster someday. He can flat out play. Expect a top 5 pick to cost us a lot of money and come with some darn high expectations. Be nice if we can get a ML-ready pitcher like Huston Street, but those don't ever happen that often.

JohnTucker0814
08-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Pedro Alvarez is definitely someone I would like to see on our roster someday. He can flat out play. Expect a top 5 pick to cost us a lot of money and come with some darn high expectations. Be nice if we can get a ML-ready pitcher like Huston Street, but those don't ever happen that often.

We need a young ML ready position player from next years draft IMO. I want to see an Upton type of player...

KyWhiSoxFan
08-25-2007, 08:13 PM
We need a young ML ready position player from next years draft IMO. I want to see an Upton type of player...

I agree. The Sox desperately need a position player who has a chance to be a difference maker. My worst fear is KW uses a very high pick to draft some guy who can throw 98 mph but who has no slider, curve, change, or sinker.

jabrch
08-25-2007, 11:44 PM
Be nice if we can get a ML-ready pitcher like Huston Street, but those don't ever happen that often.

We better not waste a top 10 pick on a relief pitcher.

chaerulez
08-26-2007, 11:39 AM
I'd like to see a 5 tool high ceiling hitter drafted. Hitters are getting to the majors faster than ever. Upton, Gordon, Zimmerman, Braun, Maybin and Tulowitzki have all made it to the majors from the 2005 draft. So it's not unreasonable for a top 10 pick to come up within a year and a half or less.

upperdeckusc
08-26-2007, 01:14 PM
found this online, figured it'd be worth a look:

http://soxprospects.wikispaces.com/2008+Draft+Watch

the 2 things that stuck out to me was the SS from UCLA that is listed in the top 10 (worth a look?), and the #100 player listed is from Joliet Catholic HS.

palehozenychicty
08-26-2007, 05:40 PM
I agree. The Sox desperately need a position player who has a chance to be a difference maker. My worst fear is KW uses a very high pick to draft some guy who can throw 98 mph but who has no slider, curve, change, or sinker.

If he pulls some crap like that, then he's gotta go. This organization desperately needs somebody that can play the game and help lead the franchise for another decade.

Flight #24
08-27-2007, 11:06 AM
The Sox can't miss with their only (hopefully) top ten pick in a long while. They need an impact position player. My only hope is that they go for the guy who they think is the best long-term player and not "the best guy we can sign cheaply". If it takes going "over slot", do it. You're not going to get many chances at draft this high (again, hopefully).

Randar68
08-27-2007, 01:03 PM
The Sox can't miss with their only (hopefully) top ten pick in a long while. They need an impact position player. My only hope is that they go for the guy who they think is the best long-term player and not "the best guy we can sign cheaply". If it takes going "over slot", do it. You're not going to get many chances at draft this high (again, hopefully).

I would love to see a legit SS or a Verlander/Lincecum type of talent. Otherwise, it's hard to say. There is usually a big grop from the first 2-3 guys to the next 4-5 (excepting signability issues).

I still believe you have to take the best prospect available. If a Lincecum talent is available, you can't pass, not with the value of pitchers today.

Flight #24
08-27-2007, 01:05 PM
I would love to see a legit SS or a Verlander/Lincecum type of talent. Otherwise, it's hard to say. There is usually a big grop from the first 2-3 guys to the next 4-5 (excepting signability issues).

I still believe you have to take the best prospect available. If a Lincecum talent is available, you can't pass, not with the value of pitchers today.

It looks like the Sox will be in the top 5. Hopefully that gets them a core / allstar caliber guy.

oeo
08-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I want to see an Upton type of player...

Who wouldn't? It doesn't mean that kind of player is out there. They're already comparing this kid to the likes of Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr. Those don't come along very often.

I hope we take the best guy out there, even if it's not necessarily a need. If it's an outfielder, 3B, SS, P...I don't care, as long as it's the best guy available.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-27-2007, 06:57 PM
found this online, figured it'd be worth a look:

http://soxprospects.wikispaces.com/2008+Draft+Watch

the 2 things that stuck out to me was the SS from UCLA that is listed in the top 10 (worth a look?), and the #100 player listed is from Joliet Catholic HS.

I read all the profiles of the top ten guys, and the guy who jumps out at me is Justin Smoak. A switch-hitting first baseman who hits for power and average and has great plate discipline. I like the sound of that. Sign him up.

Daver
08-27-2007, 07:46 PM
I read all the profiles of the top ten guys, and the guy who jumps out at me is Justin Smoak. A switch-hitting first baseman who hits for power and average and has great plate discipline. I like the sound of that. Sign him up.

If they use a top five pick to take a first baseman I will be a bit more than pissed.

JermaineDye05
08-27-2007, 08:49 PM
If they use a top five pick to take a first baseman I will be a bit more than pissed.

I would have to agree, I would like to see a top OF/SS/ or Pitcher.

Domeshot17
08-27-2007, 11:26 PM
If we are going to take a 1b, Smoak is it. Watching the College World Series and before that the regional coverage, this kid is a BEAST. He looks like he has a plan with every at bat. He makes strong contact and has a smooth, nice looking swing. He also is really quick and first and has a solid glove. Not a clogger on the base path. He would make IDEAL sense if we were picking in the 4-6 range. Figure he needs 1-2 years in the minors, he would be coming up to take over first about the time Konerko is making the move to DH. The report is right, the kid is a young Todd Helton.

I agree that if you can fill a tougher spot like SS/2b/CF then do it. But I would rather draft the next Todd Helton then reach for the next Mike Cameron or even BJ Upton (so bad defensively you can barely find a spot to play him)

I will be more pissed if we continue to draft like a small market team and draft a guy we can sign cheap over a guy with all the tools. We did it this year by drafting Andrew Sisco Jr, power arm'd tall lefty who doesn't have a second pitch. In the late 20s you can almost accept it, in the top 7, no.

California Sox
08-28-2007, 12:28 AM
I will be more pissed if we continue to draft like a small market team and draft a guy we can sign cheap over a guy with all the tools. We did it this year by drafting Andrew Sisco Jr, power arm'd tall lefty who doesn't have a second pitch. In the late 20s you can almost accept it, in the top 7, no.

Poreda might not be the perfect prospect but it's not fair to compare him to Sisco. Andrew has no idea where the ball is going half the time. Poreda has excellent fastball command.

Frater Perdurabo
08-28-2007, 07:31 AM
A switch-hitting first baseman who hits for power and average and has great plate discipline.

That sort of describes Mark Teixeira (who played 3B in college but first in the majors). I'd be very pleased if the Sox drafted a player like that.

jabrch
08-28-2007, 09:57 AM
drafting Andrew Sisco Jr, power arm'd tall lefty who doesn't have a second pitch.

That's completely ridiculous unless you have seen enough of Poreda to conclude that the two are at all similar.

Great Falls beat Missoula 1-0
Poreda 5IP 1H 0R 0ER 1BB 6K 1.09 ERA

KyWhiSoxFan
08-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Poreda might not be the perfect prospect but it's not fair to compare him to Sisco. Andrew has no idea where the ball is going half the time. Poreda has excellent fastball command.

Doesn't Poreda also have a quality sinker? I thought that is one reason the Sox drafted him, because you have to keep the ball down at the Cell.

rdivaldi
08-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Poreda and Sisco are nothing alike in terms of mechanics. Let's not forget that Sisco is 6'11", hard to keep a consistent arm slot when you are that size. Poreda on the other hand is 6'5" and is actually pretty smooth on the mound. I was pretty amazed when watching scouting video at how hard he threw with such an easy motion.

Being a hard throwing lefty doesn't guarantee anything, but it sure helps...

Randar68
08-28-2007, 01:18 PM

If I was convinced he could have a Todd Helton career, I wouldn't agree with that. The Sox haven't had a home-grown 1B since Thomas... who was drafted 18 years ago (not as bad as the SS drought, I admit)...

SS and CF are the positions you usually find your best athletes, so if you have the chance to pick a SS or CF with the total package or a Lincecum/Verlander starter, I would be plenty happy with that.

wealz07
08-28-2007, 03:58 PM
The Sox draft athletes rather than baseball players at least from the positional side. Borchard, Anderson, Sweeney, Fields, and Lucy all fit that category. Fields is working out so far, but the rest have been flops. They passed on guys like Pedroia and Kirk Suzuki in part because they didn't possess the physical tools of the others. What's funny to me is that they're surprised when a guy like Lucy can't hit - he couldn't hit at Stanford for goodness sake.

I hope the new scouting director puts more emphasis on baseball skill in next year's draft.

Randar68
08-28-2007, 04:14 PM
What's funny to me is that they're surprised when a guy like Lucy can't hit - he couldn't hit at Stanford for goodness sake.

And yet Lucy is twice the defensive catcher any of the catchers they passed on... The jury is still out, no matter hwo bad you want to hang him. He played at 2 levels this year and was still pretty raw at the plate coming out of college due to limited playing time his first 2 seasons behind an All-American.

Anderson and Sweeney have been flops? News to me. When Anderson is healthy, he's going to be an everyday player in the majors. End of story. Most teams would be estatic if you told them to pick in the middle of the 1st round and land an everyday player. More than half of first-rounders never get anywhere near that far.

wealz07
08-28-2007, 04:48 PM
And yet Lucy is twice the defensive catcher any of the catchers they passed on... The jury is still out, no matter hwo bad you want to hang him. He played at 2 levels this year and was still pretty raw at the plate coming out of college due to limited playing time his first 2 seasons behind an All-American.

Anderson and Sweeney have been flops? News to me. When Anderson is healthy, he's going to be an everyday player in the majors. End of story. Most teams would be estatic if you told them to pick in the middle of the 1st round and land an everyday player. More than half of first-rounders never get anywhere near that far.

Not hanging Lucy. He never hit at Stanford so it's no surprise he hasn't hit in the minors. Wonderful that he can catch the ball though. It'll keep them from signing Sandy Alomar as their third catcher in '09.

Anderson will be 26 next year and will not hit enough to be an everyday player. There were questions about his hitting mechanics when he was drafted, but the Sox loved his power potential. He's Joe Borchard with a much better glove and without the record signing bonus.

Flop might be to hard of a characterization for Sweeney, but he's getting to the point that you have to wonder. He has a slow bat that forbids him from pulling the ball. Unless he can increase his bat speed he's Sean Burroughs. At 22, Sweeney has fallen behind in his development.

Randar68
08-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Not hanging Lucy. He never hit at Stanford so it's no surprise he hasn't hit in the minors. Wonderful that he can catch the ball though. It'll keep them from signing Sandy Alomar as their third catcher in '09.

Anderson will be 26 next year and will not hit enough to be an everyday player. There were questions about his hitting mechanics when he was drafted, but the Sox loved his power potential. He's Joe Borchard with a much better glove and without the record signing bonus.

Flop might be to hard of a characterization for Sweeney, but he's getting to the point that you have to wonder. He has a slow bat that forbids him from pulling the ball. Unless he can increase his bat speed he's Sean Burroughs. At 22, Sweeney has fallen behind in his development.

22 in AAA is "falling behind"?

I disagree on Anderson, not to mention your Borchard comparison is utter trash.

munchman33
08-28-2007, 08:48 PM

Randar he'll be 26. And he's never been able to hit major league pitching. Never.

Sure, it could happen. But you keep talking like it's an eventuality when every bit of evidence suggests otherwise.

Daver
08-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Randar he'll be 26. And he's never been able to hit major league pitching. Never.

Sure, it could happen. But you keep talking like it's an eventuality when every bit of evidence suggests otherwise.

When has he seen MLB pitching on a regular basis?

Frater Perdurabo
08-28-2007, 10:27 PM
22 in AAA is "falling behind"?

When has he seen MLB pitching on a regular basis?

You guys a clueless BA fanboys who are overlooking his despicable play and his penchant for more despicable behavior against kittens, children and young mothers.
:tongue:

I think the Sox can win next year with Anderson batting ninth, provided they have a solid 1-8.

rdivaldi
08-29-2007, 12:47 AM
Our guys will be playing on the Desert Dogs this fall.

P - Dewon Day
P - Jack Egbert
P - Fernando Hernandez
P - Adam Russell
C - Donny Lucy
IF - Chris Getz
OF - TBA (Obviously the org. is waiting to make a decision on Sweeney)

SoxxoS
08-29-2007, 10:23 AM

News to me Sweeney has a slow bat -

rdivaldi
08-29-2007, 10:34 AM

And to anyone that's ever watched him play....

Randar68
08-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Go Rangers...

LOL. If the season ended today at noon, the Sox would select 2nd overall behind Tampa Bay (again)...

Domeshot17
08-29-2007, 02:23 PM
I think Sweeney has the brighter future over BA. Anderson in 400+ career ABs is hitting .219 with a .279 OBP. The number that shows his biggest problem is the near 4:1 K:BB ratio. He doesnt have a plate approach. Sweeney looks like a ball player when hes up there. His swing looks good and he looks like he has a plan. Hes also 4 years younger with plenty of time to grow.

I guess im a little hard of Poreda, and he may be a decent pick up, but he seems like another Broadway to me, a "safe sign" pick when bigger and better talent was on the table. I knew a good amount of Porcello coming into the draft and when I turned on ESPN 2 and saw him sitting there for us, I was like, pick him, pick him now, and we passed of course. Sooner or later our GM is going to have to be willing to negotiate with Boras, or we have to find a GM who will. We lose probably 20% of draftable players and 25% of possible free agents by not being willing to work with Boras. The fact Kenny doesnt deal with him to me means Boras is a better agent then Kenny is a GM.

jabrch
08-29-2007, 02:45 PM
I guess im a little hard of Poreda, and he may be a decent pick up, but he seems like another Broadway to me, a "safe sign" pick when bigger and better talent was on the table. I knew a good amount of Porcello coming into the draft and when I turned on ESPN 2 and saw him sitting there for us, I was like, pick him, pick him now, and we passed of course. Sooner or later our GM is going to have to be willing to negotiate with Boras, or we have to find a GM who will. We lose probably 20% of draftable players and 25% of possible free agents by not being willing to work with Boras. The fact Kenny doesnt deal with him to me means Boras is a better agent then Kenny is a GM.

I don't think it is true that Kenny won't deal with Boras. I think it is true that Kenny had no interest in dealing with Porcello on the terms that he and his agent (regardless of if it is Boras or not) had laid on the table.

I'm not sure how you possibly think we'd lose 20% of the draftable players or 25% of the FA by not dealing with Boras - that's just not in line with the reality.

This was a case where we (and we weren't alone) specifically were not going to pay the price this kid wanted, as a HS pitcher.

Let's see what happens as we get closer to Crede's FA. I believe KW will negotiate with Boras. (fighting the urge to mention A-Rod, but not getting my hopes up for no reason)

delben91
08-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Sooner or later our GM is going to have to be willing to negotiate with Boras, or we have to find a GM who will. We lose probably 20% of draftable players and 25% of possible free agents by not being willing to work with Boras. The fact Kenny doesnt deal with him to me means Boras is a better agent then Kenny is a GM.

I could be wrong, but I was always under the impression that it was Reinsdorf that refused to deal with Boras, and KW was just following JR's rules.

Just saying, it may not be fair to blame KW for not dealing with Boras if he's just following orders.

hillbilly
08-29-2007, 04:16 PM

I wouldn't say he has a slow bat, but I definitely would say he has a long, looping swing.

rdivaldi
08-29-2007, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't say he has a slow bat, but I definitely would say he has a long, looping swing.

I can't agree with that at all. Ryan has a beautiful, level swing. I've never heard it described as being "loopy".

rdivaldi
08-29-2007, 04:39 PM
I guess im a little hard of Poreda, and he may be a decent pick up, but he seems like another Broadway to me, a "safe sign" pick when bigger and better talent was on the table.

I guess I don't understand what makes the pick "safe". He's a high ceiling pitcher who has not even come close to maxing out his ability. Broadway and McCullough were safe picks, I will readily agree with that.

Domeshot17
08-29-2007, 04:54 PM
I guess I don't understand what makes the pick "safe". He's a high ceiling pitcher who has not even come close to maxing out his ability. Broadway and McCullough were safe picks, I will readily agree with that.

Safe in signability. I mean, he signed what 1-3 days after the draft, he was an easy sign, KW knew that, and it played heavily into the pick. I really hope he turns out to be the next Randy Johnson, and Broadway the next Greg Maddux, if they do we will be great. My problem is we keep drafting 1st rounders who arent making it, while teams picking after us are watching guys succeed (Matt Garza is looking 1000000 times better then Broadway right now).

Randar68
08-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Safe in signability. I mean, he signed what 1-3 days after the draft, he was an easy sign, KW knew that, and it played heavily into the pick.

Pure un-supported speculation. Plain and simple. Absolutely nothing to back that up except your biased perception.

rdivaldi
08-29-2007, 11:23 PM
(Matt Garza is looking 1000000 times better then Broadway right now).

Personally I missed that one, I was anxiously waiting for our pick and praying that we would draft Cesar Carrillo. In our scouting departments defense, Broadway was the best pitcher in college that year, he dominated everyone with pinpoint control and an assortment of secondary stuff. I have no idea what happened to his control, it's baffling. I'm hoping it's just a learning process with his two seamer.

SoxxoS
08-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Personally I missed that one, I was anxiously waiting for our pick and praying that we would draft Cesar Carrillo. In our scouting departments defense, Broadway was the best pitcher in college that year, he dominated everyone with pinpoint control and an assortment of secondary stuff. I have no idea what happened to his control, it's baffling. I'm hoping it's just a learning process with his two seamer.

Or maybe he is continuing to "aim" rather than pitch - B/c that secondary stuff gets hit a lot harder in the minor leagues - So he KNOWS he needs to be pinpoint or else he will get rocked...???

If he is anything more than a 5th starter I will be shocked. He will be 25 next year and his ratios are in decline...although the hits per 9 are improving and that is a good sign at least.

DrCrawdad
08-30-2007, 08:57 AM
... Looks like we'll get our first top 10 pick in a couple decades!

When was the Sox last top 10 pick?

Frater Perdurabo
08-30-2007, 09:04 AM
When was the Sox last top 10 pick?

Alex Fernandez was the #4 pick in 1990. That's the last time they were in the Top 10.

jabrch
08-30-2007, 09:51 AM
I can't agree with that at all. Ryan has a beautiful, level swing. I've never heard it described as being "loopy".

Sure you did. You just read "Hillbilly" say it.

Must be true - right?

champagne030
08-30-2007, 10:41 AM

What did I win?

http://www.rogerclemensaward.com/05images/hochevartrophy.jpg

Lance was in the final three. I thought a big reason the Sox took Lance was because, even though there were legit questions about his CUSA competition, several of our scouts saw him shut down #1 Tulane late in the season. I, too, wanted Carillo, but that doesn't look like it would have worked out too well either.

Tragg
08-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Lance was in the final three. I thought a big reason the Sox took Lance was because, even though there were legit questions about his CUSA competition, several of our scouts saw him shut down #1 Tulane late in the season. I, too, wanted Carillo, but that doesn't look like it would have worked out too well either.
I saw that game and he did shut down Tulane - but it was the 2nd game of a DH and Tulane had clinched the C-USA title in the first game. (still don't know why TCU saved Broadway for game 2). Broadway was a complete control pitcher. But a good one.
Houston drafted Tulane's Bogusevic - he was really tired by the end of the season and wasn't effective, so I was glad the Sox didn't take him (as much as I loved him in college) - he's had a slow start with the Astros. The best player in C-USA that year was Michah Owings, and he's doing pretty well with the Diamondbacks right now. The other thing is both Owings and Bogusevic were really good college hitters too.

C-USA is the #5 or so baseball league and it puts 4 or 5 into the ncaas each year and usually has a CWS competitor. It's a good league, although there are a few soft teams.

IN another subject, what happened to Ray Liotta?

Tragg
08-30-2007, 06:39 PM
I think the Sox can win next year with Anderson batting ninth, provided they have a solid 1-8.
The manager disagrees...at least he did in 2006.

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2007, 07:36 AM
The manager disagrees...at least he did in 2006.

But he seems to think the Sox can win with Gonzalez at third. :(:

oeo
08-31-2007, 08:47 AM
But he seems to think the Sox can win with Gonzalez at third. :(:

:?:

Are you kidding me? The season is a lost cause, they're seeing if Fields can learn LF for next year so he can play. It's not like we're in the heat of a pennant race and Ozzie decides to play Andy Gonzalez over Josh Fields.

cws05champ
08-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Well, we are now up to the # 2 overall pick in the MLB draft next year!! Yea!

KyWhiSoxFan
08-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Well, we are now up to the # 2 overall pick in the MLB draft next year!! Yea!

Let's see how the crack Sox scouting team can screw that up.

rdivaldi
09-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Let's see how the crack Sox scouting team can screw that up.

:darkclouds:

Frater Perdurabo
09-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Is there any sort of "consensus can't miss" #1 pick, or a Top 3 or Top 5, for the 2008 draft? I realize that signability often trumps talent, but going into 2001, Prior was seen as the consensus best pick, and IIRC the Top 3 seemed to be Prior, Mauer and Teixeira. (Floyd was #4 - I don't know whether to laugh or cry.)

SABRSox
09-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Is there any sort of "consensus can't miss" #1 pick, or a Top 3 or Top 5, for the 2008 draft? I realize that signability often trumps talent, but going into 2001, Prior was seen as the consensus best pick, and IIRC the Top 3 seemed to be Prior, Mauer and Teixeira. (Floyd was #4 - I don't know whether to laugh or cry.)

Pedro Alvarez is the consensus #1 pick.

UserNameBlank
09-01-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't know if it's worth thinking about right now, at least as fans, because a lot can change between now and next June. Injuries, performance next year, commitments, agents, money, etc. all play into it and we still don't know where we pick. Personally I haven't read anything about next year's draft class but I imagine if we pick say 3rd, someone rated lower could jump way ahead to consensus #3 between now and next year. Now, if we get #1 overall - which could very well happen as only TB is worse and its only by a couple games - then we can go nuts over whoever we want because we can get him if we want to.

One thing is for sure though: even if we sign the best available FA over the offseason we still will keep our first rounder. That is very nice to know. Hopefully we get a consensus top 5 pick with our top 5 pick.

Hitmen77
09-01-2007, 10:09 PM

Teixiera was picked 5th - just after Gavin Floyd. The D-Rays used the #3 pick on the immortal Dewon Brazelton.

I wouldn't cry about Floyd, we're not the ones who wasted the #4 pick overall on him.

Lillian
09-08-2007, 10:19 AM
This link to info on Vanderbilt's SS might be of interest. Apparently he plays along side Pedro Alvarez, and follows him in the batting order.
The article is at the bottum of the page. What do you guys think?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/features/263363.html

jabrch
09-08-2007, 05:21 PM
This link to info on Vanderbilt's SS might be of interest. Apparently he plays along side Pedro Alvarez, and follows him in the batting order.
The article is at the bottum of the page. What do you guys think?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/features/263363.html

He's good - but I don't believe he is someone you look at with a pick as high as ours will be. Alvarez is the guy I want.

EMachine10
09-09-2007, 02:48 AM
we won't be picking 2nd if we keep winning games like this...

UserNameBlank
09-09-2007, 03:01 AM
we won't be picking 2nd if we keep winning games like this...
..and that would be just like our Sox this year. It's like they do everything they can to piss you off.

The rest of the year our lineup should look something like this:

Owens CF
Richar 2B (more AB's)
Thome DH (to get 500)
Fields LF (more AB's)
Erstad 1B
Gonzalez 3B
Sweeney RF
Uribe SS
Lucy C

Rotation: Contreras, Floyd, Broadway, Phillips, Masset
Bullpen: Bukvich, Myers, Reynoso, Logan, MacDougal, Sisco

Players who should be assured of job next year and golfing: Jenks, Thornton, Wasserman, Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez, Danks, Dye, Konerko, Hall, Pierzynski

Then we can drop all the rest of our games and at least get #1 overall. Let's take the biggest loser prize we can.

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2007, 03:10 AM
Then we can drop all the rest of our games and at least get #1 overall. Let's take the biggest loser prize we can.Tanking for a draft pick is dishonorable in all sports, and stupid in baseball, since draft picks in baseball are notorious for not turning out like one would expect.

There are games to be played that will have an impact on the pennant races, and I don't wish to see the Sox be considered a team that tanked on purpose.

UserNameBlank
09-09-2007, 03:29 AM
Tanking for a draft pick is dishonorable in all sports, and stupid in baseball, since draft picks in baseball are notorious for not turning out like one would expect.

There are games to be played that will have an impact on the pennant races, and I don't wish to see the Sox be considered a team that tanked on purpose.
You have a point, but the Sox could always hide behind the notion of "we're playing the kids to get a better idea of what we have."

Besides, as strange as it may sound the opposite may be true. All year we've heard about our veterans not giving it all (although I don't know how true that is as it seemed like they were trying too hard most of the time), so maybe throwing the kids out there everyday, even moreso than we are now, would make us better? While the veterans only have numbers to play for, the kids would have potential jobs to play for, so even though it is garbage time so to speak we'd still get to see the kids play under a bit of pressure. Also anything can happen in baseball, as we all saw in 2005 when the Charlotte Knights swept the Indians out of the playoffs.

In all seriousness, aside from gaining the #1 overall pick I'd rather see guys like Broadway and Sweeney out there anyway. While they may not have enough time to make a serious impression, they still can make some kind of positive impression. Plus as a fan it personally would make the games a lot more fun for me to watch, win or lose. The only reason I watch now is to see the kids that are playing.

misty60481
09-12-2007, 08:49 PM
At $35 a box seat I expect to see major league players, I only get to go to 2 or 3 games a year and if they are going to put a bunch of minor leaguers on the field next year it will be fewer games.

RowanDye
09-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Tanking for a draft pick is dishonorable in all sports, and stupid in baseball, since draft picks in baseball are notorious for not turning out like one would expect.

Agreed tanking is a no-no, but all things being equal I wouldn't mind seeing 16 well-played losses so the Sox can get the 1st pick.

sox1970
09-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Agreed tanking is a no-no, but all things being equal I wouldn't mind seeing 16 well-played losses so the Sox can get the 1st pick.

If they keep the win total under 70, they'll have a top 3 pick.

FloridaSox
09-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Do we have a problem that Scott Boras will be representing most of the top 20 picks, either openly or secretly?

upperdeckusc
09-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Do we have a problem that Scott Boras will be representing most of the top 20 picks, either openly or secretly?

:?:

WizardsofOzzie
09-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Then we can drop all the rest of our games and at least get #1 overall. Let's take the biggest loser prize we can.

Why not? It worked out for the Celtics.....oh wait. Damn karma always seems to find you