PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox Nation invades Chicago

Fenway
08-23-2007, 05:30 PM
WEEI has 8 charters from AirTran flying daytrips on both Saturday and Sunday

It was $189 for same day round trip and ticket to game

USA Today has an article on America's Team

Red Sox Nation new king of the road (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/redsox/2007-08-22-Roadattendance_N.htm?csp=34)

balke
08-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I know. That's the reason I can't find decent seats for less than $45 on stubhub. I'd pay it, but my buddies can't. It's gonna be tough getting lower level weekend tickets the rest of the season for under 40 I guess.

WhiteSox5187
08-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Well we're getting hit by awful storms, so HA! IN YOUR FACE RED SOX NATION!

AnkleSox
08-23-2007, 06:22 PM
Man, after waiting for 3 trains at the grand station before i could even fit on one, I about wanted to dropkick anyone wearing any form of red sox gear.

goon
08-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Well we're getting hit by awful storms, so HA! IN YOUR FACE RED SOX NATION!

:)

**** the Red Sox. Fenway is cool though.

hi im skot
08-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Fenway, you gonna be around this weekend? Perhaps we could get some WSI folks together for a pregame round of drinks or something...

HotelWhiteSox
08-23-2007, 07:06 PM
I was waiting for this thread to come

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I know. That's the reason I can't find decent seats for less than $45 on stubhub. I'd pay it, but my buddies can't. It's gonna be tough getting lower level weekend tickets the rest of the season for under 40 I guess.
That's about face-value there (if you're talking about lower deck)! This is a Premium Weekend. What do you expect?

I hope we can at least split this series (but damn, I want to win this series)!

JGarlandrules20
08-23-2007, 08:18 PM

Yea, I hate that. Even the decent seats are expensive. I wanted to go to a game for my birthday but it's too much money especially with the way the sox have been playing.

champagne030
08-23-2007, 09:29 PM

Not for the rest of the season, just when these fools come to town. I jacked up my tickets and some schlep from Boston paid $125 for my front row bleacher seats.

JB98
08-23-2007, 10:16 PM
There's nothing I hate more than Red Sox fans and their incessant chanting of "Let's Go Red Sox." Shut the **** up and just watch the game already.

DumpJerry
08-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Tonight I felt like I was the visiting team. Someone told me there was an estimate he heard that 80% of the people there were Red Sox fans. I believed it. There were also some who could not afford Red Sox gear so they wore their Cubs' stuff.

Oh well, as I told one of them, the long rain delay gave us concession money to sign Torii Hunter. I thanked them for it.

JB98
08-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Tonight I felt like I was the visiting team. Someone told me there was an estimate he heard that 80% of the people there were Red Sox fans. I believed it. There were also some who could not afford Red Sox gear so they wore their Cubs' stuff.

Great! It's going to be a fabulous weekend!

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2007, 11:05 PM

Oh well, as I told one of them, the long rain delay gave us concession money to sign Torii Hunter. I thanked them for it.
Oh, god, I hope it's not like that tomorrow night, as well as Saturday and Sunday. Hey, at least I sold my extra ticket to a WHITE Sox fan! :bandance:

Fenway
08-24-2007, 08:11 AM
The USAToday article is spot on. You have no idea on how strong demand is at Fenway which makes families travel to away games. Unlike Wrigley which usually is a soft sellout, Fenway is a scalpers dream.

I really despise this whole Red Sox Nation thing.

DumpJerry
08-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Oh, god, I hope it's not like that tomorrow night, as well as Saturday and Sunday. Hey, at least I sold my extra ticket to a WHITE Sox fan! :bandance:
You're probably right. It won't be crowded with Boston people this weekend. They came out for a Thursday game. Thursday is to Boston what Sunday is to the rest of the world.:redneck

Foulke You
08-24-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm thinking a lot of White Sox season ticket holders spun their tickets on stubhub to Red Sox fans. If we were in contention, I'm sure it would have been a bit different.

Also, many Cubs fans masquerade as Red Sox fans throughout the season so I'm sure they snatched up tickets as well. I've seen plenty of North Side idiots walking around with a Red Sox hat and an Aramis Ramirez shirt. Honestly, I don't get it. Red Sox fans don't give a crap about the Cubs or their fans but somehow Cub fans feel some sort of "bond" with the Red Sox even though they have nothing in common other than old ballparks.

Chisox353014
08-24-2007, 11:53 AM
I was on Michigan Avenue yesterday for a doctor's appointment (missed the storm entirely :bandance:) and the place was absolutely teeming with Blowsawx bandwagoners.

On a related note: what is it about tourists that makes them dress head to toe in their teams' gear? We get it; you're a diehard Red Sox fan (since way back in '04!), you don't have to walk around town with your wife in matching pantsuits. You look like a complete schmedrick.

SoxFan78
08-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Also, many Cubs fans masquerade as Red Sox fans throughout the season so I'm sure they snatched up tickets as well. I've seen plenty of North Side idiots walking around with a Red Sox hat and an Aramis Ramirez shirt. Honestly, I don't get it. Red Sox fans don't give a crap about the Cubs or their fans but somehow Cub fans feel some sort of "bond" with the Red Sox even though they have nothing in common other than old ballparks.

Im not too sure about this, let me explain why. When the Sox were in Boston this year before the game we were in Cask N Flagon having some beers. Almost all the TV's were on the Cubs game. Now everytime the Cubs would score, most of the people at the bar were cheering. Were these Chicago Fans? Maybe a couple cause I could see their cubs gear. But the rest were all decked out in Red Sox red.

I just shook my head.

The Immigrant
08-24-2007, 12:48 PM
On a related note: what is it about tourists that makes them dress head to toe in their teams' gear?

Cardinals fans are the worst offenders, IMO.

Chisox353014
08-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Cardinals fans are the worst offenders, IMO.

The red pants!!
My eyes! The goggles do nothing!!

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2007, 12:55 PM
On a related note: what is it about tourists that makes them dress head to toe in their teams' gear?
I do this when I go out of town as well. When I went to Seattle last week, I was wearing a Bears shirt and a Sox hat. When I was in Austin last year, I wore my Konerko jersey, my Blackhawks earrings, and my Bears bandana all at the same time. It's called repping your colors. The thing I don't like is when people who aren't really big fans do it. It's okay if you do it and are a huge, die-hard, though.

Chips
08-24-2007, 01:08 PM
I do this when I go out of town as well. When I went to Seattle last week, I was wearing a Bears shirt and a Sox hat. When I was in Austin last year, I wore my Konerko jersey, my Blackhawks earrings, and my Bears bandana all at the same time. It's called repping your colors. The thing I don't like is when people who aren't really big fans do it. It's okay if you do it and are a huge, die-hard, though.

Who cares how big of a fan they are?

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Who cares how big of a fan they are?
I can't stand posers.

Fenway
08-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Im not too sure about this, let me explain why. When the Sox were in Boston this year before the game we were in Cask N Flagon having some beers. Almost all the TV's were on the Cubs game. Now everytime the Cubs would score, most of the people at the bar were cheering. Were these Chicago Fans? Maybe a couple cause I could see their cubs gear. But the rest were all decked out in Red Sox red.

I just shook my head.

It may have been the FOX Saturday game which would explain why it was on.

In any event Boston fans have no reason to root against the Cubs and most probably feel sorry for their fans.

Remember Boston fans cheered the White Sox when you beat us in the playoffs.

jenn2080
08-24-2007, 02:36 PM
I was on Michigan Avenue yesterday for a doctor's appointment (missed the storm entirely :bandance:) and the place was absolutely teeming with Blowsawx bandwagoners.

On a related note: what is it about tourists that makes them dress head to toe in their teams' gear? We get it; you're a diehard Red Sox fan (since way back in '04!), you don't have to walk around town with your wife in matching pantsuits. You look like a complete schmedrick.

That is the most annoying thing. There is no reason to wear Sox shirt, Sox hat, Sox socks and boxers just to represent.

That is ridiculous. Just because you dress in head to toe Chicago gear does not mean anything. I rep Chicago by talking to locals when I am at the game or at the bar or where ever I am. You do not need the word Chicago tatooed on your had to represent. To each their own though.

jenn2080
08-24-2007, 02:37 PM
I can't stand posers.

How do you know they are posers? And who are you or any of use to judge?:rolleyes:

Fenway
08-24-2007, 02:58 PM
I simply wear my hat ( as chips can verify ) :smile:

BTW be warned on Michigan Ave...this guy is in Chicago DRESSED LIKE THIS

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2004/10/30/1099149724_7081.jpg

kba
08-24-2007, 03:38 PM
One thing that always stands out for me when I look at old baseball photos (like from the 1959 World Series) is that none of the fans wore team logo merchandise of any kind - not even a team cap. When and why did it become cool to dress like a walking billboard for your team??

champagne030
08-24-2007, 03:56 PM

I just shook my head.

:nod:

I travel to Dewey Beach, Delaware every year and there's a lot of Red Sox fans that have moved down the coast. They don't understand the association with the flubs nor do they cheer for them to win. It's a Red Cubs thing in this town only. I do agree that a lot of Boston fans do act like flubs fans, but it's the same, in that, there's always idiots that root for their team because it's the cool thing to do. Even the people, who are anti New York, out East don't give a crap about the Flubs. I'd say half, at least, of the morons, who invade our park during the Red Sox series really associate themselves with the Flubs.

Martinigirl
08-24-2007, 09:40 PM
One of my good friends is from Boston and a huge BoSox fan. She can't stand the Cubs. She thinks they are almost as heinous as Yankee fans. Obnoxious and arrogant, but without the winning.

This may be due to my influence, and the fact she has been at a Sox/Cub game and saw Cub fans in all their glory, or maybe she is just wise.

Fenway
08-24-2007, 10:14 PM
I am ashamed by the behavoir of Red Sox fans tonight at the Cell

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2007, 11:12 PM
One of my good friends is from Boston and a huge BoSox fan. She can't stand the Cubs. She thinks they are almost as heinous as Yankee fans. Obnoxious and arrogant, but without the winning.

To be honest with you, I much prefer Yankee fans when they come to Comiskey.

Martinigirl
08-24-2007, 11:13 PM

Any reasons you would like to share?

chisoxmike
08-24-2007, 11:16 PM

Thanks Fenway. I thought I was crazy (well I am) thinking they are the worst visiting fans we ever have.

Now you know what we are talking about.

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks Fenway. I thought I was crazy (well I am) thinking they are the worst visiting fans we ever have.

Now you know what we are talking about.
You're not crazy, Mike. My boyfriend excluded, they ARE the worst visiting fans we get. It's one thing to cheer on your team; it's another to purposly take over a stadium like it was your own. I'll EASILY take the Yankee, and even the Cub fans over them.

Fenway
08-24-2007, 11:39 PM
You're not crazy, Mike. My boyfriend excluded, they ARE the worst visiting fans we get. It's one thing to cheer on your team; it's another to purposly take over a stadium like it was your own. I'll EASILY take the Yankee, and even the Cub fans over them.

The only stadium Boston fans should take over is the one in the Bronx.

Fenway
08-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Any reasons you would like to share?

One threw a beer on Southpaw

chisoxmike
08-24-2007, 11:47 PM
One threw a beer on Southpaw

Thats un-****ingreal. I hope they got thrown out.

Last year, Twins fans threw a beer out of a skybox on the crowd beneath them after a Torii Hunter home run.

ChiSoxGirl
08-25-2007, 01:29 AM

The tools were definitely out in full force tonight. :rolleyes::angry:

Fenway
08-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Right now I am at Starbucks at State and Pearson. I have seen more Sawx gearthis morning than I see at home. Anyplace Boston plays on a weekend people come from New England. Since they can't get into Fenway they treat it like a home game. Chicago is a prime road trip for obvious reasons. Baltimore, Tampa, Oakland and Cleveland are also prime. 4 years ago the largest baseball crowd in Philly history was with Boston. It is nuts. WEEI is now the most listened to station in New England as they have bought repeaters in Providence and Springfield. Most of the fans are nice but the idiots stand out. I miss the days when a crowd at Fenway was 14,000.

ilsox7
08-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Right now I am at Starbucks at State and Pearson. I have seen more Sawx gearthis morning than I see at home. Anyplace Boston plays on a weekend people come from New England. Since they can't get into Fenway they treat it like a home game. Chicago is a prime road trip for obvious reasons. Baltimore, Tampa, Oakland and Cleveland are also prime. 4 years ago the largest baseball crowd in Philly history was with Boston. It is nuts. WEEI is now the most listened to station in New England as they have bought repeaters in Providence and Springfield. Most of the fans are nice but the idiots stand out. I miss the days when a crowd at Fenway was 14,000.

I go to school on that corner. I walked by yesterday morning around 11:30, actually on my way home from work, and saw at least a dozen folks in Red Sox gear. It's crazy out there!

Dan Mega
08-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Saw a BoSox fan yell at a little kid in a Dye jersey last night for "looking ugly and stupid". Those Boston fans were the absolute worst.

Fenway
08-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Saw a BoSox fan yell at a little kid in a Dye jersey last night for "looking ugly and stupid". Those Boston fans were the absolute worst.

That sickens me.

lakeviewsoxfan
08-25-2007, 11:12 AM
The thing that pisses me off the most about Boston fans is they think they entitled to everything and their arrogance is beyond obnoxious.

upperdeckusc
08-25-2007, 11:26 AM
im not one to turn the other cheek when i see obnoxious-ness. i, usually, have to chip in haha. so when they were going nuts over ortiz's 2nd homer and chanting lets go red sox when the game was clearly out of reach, i was quick to have an outloud discussion with my friend in the fan deck about the sweep of the '05 ALDS that demolised their repeat hopes and dreams, and how el duque pretty much made them their ***** by getting out of that bases loaded no outs scenario. their "look at the scoreboard" comeback wasn't too impressive, so i chalked down that win for the good guys. i saw a lady with a boston hat, and cubs shirt/purse. i wanted to puke. then i saw a girl with a sox shirt, and a twins hat on. i had no idea what was going on, which also helped aid a few of my rants (that and the all you could drink beer in the fan deck). oh well, can we even up this series......please??:mad:

PatK
08-25-2007, 11:47 AM
The thing that pisses me off the most about Boston fans is they think they entitled to everything and their arrogance is beyond obnoxious.

I think that's people from that part of the country in general.

They don't call them M*******s for nothing.

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2007, 11:51 AM
The tools were definitely out in full force tonight. :rolleyes::angry:
I was fortunately in the Stadium Club the entire game, guarded from all that was happening down there. What are some of your stories? BTW, I saw you right in front of Dump last night when I was looking down from the Stadium Club.

Martinigirl
08-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I was fortunately in the Stadium Club the entire game, guarded from all that was happening down there. What are some of your stories? BTW, I saw you right in front of Dump last night when I was looking down from the Stadium Club.

Last year I was at the BoSox game and went up to the Stadium Club to get away from the Red Sox fans and was disturb to find them up there as well.

I admit I can be overly sensitive to the behavior of opposing fans at the Cell, but sometimes it is just out of hand. This year, I think the Indians fans have been the worst. I was at a game, not in my regular section so I am not sure if that has something to do with it, and there were 2 Indian fans that kept getting up and screaming, saying how we sucked, and other crap. And they would not stop. So by the end of the game, Sox fans were screaming back, and it just got ugly. Sadly they left before Uribe's walk off homerun because the heckling they would have received would have been priceless.

It is one thing to go to another team's stadium and enjoy the game and cheer for your team, but I don't understand the need for people to be total *******s.

AZChiSoxFan
08-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Chicago is a prime road trip for obvious reasons. Baltimore, Tampa, Oakland and Cleveland are also prime.

Why is Oakland on that list and why isn't Toronto?

grv1974
08-25-2007, 01:31 PM

**** the Red Sox. Fenway is cool though.
Fenway's a dump, and it needs to be replaced. It's even WORSE than Wrigley. Thank God the Yankees are finally getting a new stadium in '09.

Fenway
08-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Why is Oakland on that list and why isn't Toronto?

Oakland cheap flights and I forgot Toronto. Montreal was the big trip all sellouts and about 8 Expos fans.

JB98
08-25-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm not going to the game today. I tried to sell my tickets on the exchange here, but I didn't get any bites. I'd rather flush $52 worth of tickets down the toilet than spend my afternoon watching baseball with Red Sox fans. They are *******s. I hate them every bit as much as I hate Cubs fans.

Fenway
08-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Well I just rode the CTA from Chicago to 35th and all the way down was the chant Yankees suck I thought I was on the Green Line going to Kenmore.

russ99
08-25-2007, 04:33 PM
There's nothing I hate more than Red Sox fans and their incessant chanting of "Let's Go Red Sox." Shut the **** up and just watch the game already.

I agree, but they're not gonna stop.

I was at the game last night and was appalled at the lack of White Sox support and counter-chanting like at the Cub and Yankee series. Maybe that 9 run defecit had something to do with that.

I've harbored no ill will toward the Red Sox per se, despite wanting us to beat them, but their fans are beyond obnoxious, truly "Red Cubs" style fans. I'll just have to act like a complete ass if I ever get to Fenway. :tongue:

One other thing, The word "Nation" only applies to a country and to Native American tribes. To apply (especially self-apply) it to a sports team or fans of that team is truly the height of buffoonery. No one had better EVER refer to Sox fans in that way.

JB98
08-25-2007, 06:17 PM
I agree, but they're not gonna stop.

I was at the game last night and was appalled at the lack of White Sox support and counter-chanting like at the Cub and Yankee series. Maybe that 9 run defecit had something to do with that.

I've harbored no ill will toward the Red Sox per se, despite wanting us to beat them, but their fans are beyond obnoxious, truly "Red Cubs" style fans. I'll just have to act like a complete ass if I ever get to Fenway. :tongue:

One other thing, The word "Nation" only applies to a country and to Native American tribes. To apply (especially self-apply) it to a sports team or fans of that team is truly the height of buffoonery. No one had better EVER refer to Sox fans in that way.

Paul Ladewski did that in the Southtown last week. I thought it was stupid, and I didn't run the column in my paper as a result.

Fenway
08-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Off to Rock Bottom at State and Grand....Theo and Gammo are playing tonight at 8 It is a Jimmy Fund gig

ilsox7
08-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Off to Rock Bottom at State and Grand....Theo and Gammo are playing tonight at 8 It is a Jimmy Fund gig

The master brewer there does some really nice stuff. Enjoy!

SoxFan78
08-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Lots of Cub fans at the park today. Its just sickening that the Cubs/Red Cub fans were as loud as us today.

October26
08-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Lots of Cub fans at the park today. Its just sickening that the Cubs/Red Cub fans were as loud as us today.

I wanna give Medals to all the Sox fans who put up with the buffoons at the Cell the last two days. Not only do we have to deal with the invaders from Boston but we also have all the Cubs fans who get in bed with the Red Sox fans when they come to the Cell. I don't think the word obnoxious adequately describes these people.

I could barely stand to listen to the games on the radio and I was fortunate to be at home where I could turn off the TV and radio. I don't know how you got through the last 2 days while being a White sox fan at the Cell, it was horrific from what I did hear.

JB98
08-25-2007, 07:16 PM

What can we do? Our team is giving us nothing to cheer for. :dunno:

DumpJerry
08-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Why didn't you come down to say hi? It's not like you couldn't have gone back up there.:rolleyes:

soxwon
08-25-2007, 07:59 PM
meet alot of redsox fans today.
nice people not bragging, i actually was more optomistic
for them than they were.
Hands down the BEST in baseball (the team).

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Why didn't you come down to say hi? It's not like you couldn't have gone back up there.:rolleyes:
I didn't have a LD ticket.

I left today during the top of the 8th.

ChiSoxGirl
08-26-2007, 10:12 PM
I was at the night cap on Friday and this afternoon's game, and it took everything in me to not say something to the family of tools that were a couple rows behind me this afternoon. They were out in full force again today!

They were decked out in their Red Sox gear, with the exception of the one teenage punk. Not too long after they sat down, the punk ripped his rally towel into two pieces and said, "Apparently, these things aren't good quality," threw it on the ground, and stomped on it.

The parents in this family were as bad as the teenagers because in the ninth inning, one of them said something like, "Oh, what's that we've got? A broom? That's right, because we're sweeping your asses!" and were laughing hysterically. It took everything in me to not turn around and tell them where they could stick that broom. I got up and moved one section over & about ten rows up because I couldn't listen to them anymore. After the game, my friend (who didn't move with me) told me that they were Cub fans. She heard one of them say, "Oh, our boys are winning! This game should be over quick enough for us to get home and watch our Cubbies!"

I absolutely hate these Red Cub fans! They're so damn obnoxious and don't make for a nice baseball experience at all. On Friday night, there was a girl sitting in front of me (she had to be about 13 or so) who had her blue Cubbie "Believe" wristband on, along with a stark white Red Sox cap. Gee, I wonder what she was.... I wanted so badly to ask some of these supposed Red Sox fans how many games they've seen at Wrigley this season. http://soxandthecity.net/smilies/rolleyespe9.gif I told my friend today that after this weekend, I'm done with this series. To hell with those people and the Red Sox series in '08! http://soxandthecity.net/smilies/angryfire.gif http://soxandthecity.net/smilies/angryfire.gif

Brian26
08-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I was at the night cap on Friday and this afternoon's game, and it took everything in me to not say something to the family of tools that were a couple rows behind me this afternoon.

They were decked out in their Red Sox gear, with the exception of the one teenage punk. Not too long after they sat down, the punk ripped his rally towel into two pieces and said, "Apparently, these things aren't good quality," threw it on the ground, and stomped on it.

The parents in this family were as bad as the teenagers because in the ninth inning, one of them said something like, "Oh, what's that we've got? A broom? That's right, because we're sweeping your asses!" and were laughing hysterically. It took everything in me to not turn around and tell them where they could stick that broom. I got up and moved one section over & about ten rows up because I couldn't listen to them anymore. After the game, my friend (who didn't move with me) told me that they were Cub fans. She heard one of them say, "Oh, our boys are winning! This game should be over quick enough for us to get home and watch our Cubbies!"

I absolutely hate these Red Cub fans! They're so damn obnoxious and don't make for a nice baseball experience at all. On Friday night, there was a girl sitting in front of me (she had to be about 13 or so) who had her blue Cubbie "Believe" wristband on, along with a stark white Red Sox cap. Gee, I wonder what she was.... I wanted so badly to ask some of these supposed Red Sox fans how many games they've seen at Wrigley this season. http://soxandthecity.net/smilies/rolleyespe9.gif I told my friend today that after this weekend, I'm done with this series. To hell with those people and the Red Sox series in '08! http://soxandthecity.net/smilies/angryfire.gif http://soxandthecity.net/smilies/angryfire.gif

Fingerprint IDs and DNA tests should be administered at the front gates to ensure this never happens again.

Brian26
08-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I left today during the top of the 8th.

Bandwagon.

Brian26
08-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Hands down the BEST in baseball (the team).

Except for the Angels.

JB98
08-26-2007, 10:25 PM
It's tempting to never attend a series against the Cubs or Red Sox again. The fans of the visiting team really ruin the ballpark experience for me.

chisoxmike
08-26-2007, 10:26 PM
I was at the night cap on Friday and this afternoon's game, and it took everything in me to not say something to the family of tools that were a couple rows behind me this afternoon. They were out in full force again today!

Yeah, sounds about right.

Nothing beats last year; a guy (a red sox fan) who was slapping his girlfriend (a white sox fan) and telling her he was going to cheat on her.

I actually got up and said something to the guy, he started screaming at me, the girl then got up and left the park. Hopefully she never saw him again.

thomas35forever
08-26-2007, 10:38 PM

After reading this post, I'm as glad as ever I didn't go to the game Friday with my Cubs fan friend. It would have been UG-A-LEE.

ChiSoxGirl
08-26-2007, 10:39 PM
It's tempting to never attend a series against the Cubs or Red Sox again. The fans of the visiting team really ruin the ballpark experience for me.

I told my friend today that I'm not coming to any games in the Red Sox and Cubs series next season; to hell with those people.

Ya know, I went to Tampa this year, and Pittsburgh & Detroit last year, to see the Sox and I wasn't a tool. It IS possible to go into a road ballpark and be a nice fan of your team. In fact, there was a Red Sox fan sitting next to me this afternoon and he was as quiet as could be. I even thanked him for being a normal Red Sox fan and for keeping to himself, rooting for his team, and not being a jerk. It can be done, it's just that the majority of these people don't know how to carry themselves with class when going into a ballpark as the visiting team's fans.

Brian26
08-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Ya know, I went to Tampa this year, and Pittsburgh & Detroit last year, to see the Sox and I wasn't a tool. It IS possible to go into a road ballpark and be a nice fan of your team. In fact, there was a Red Sox fan sitting next to me this afternoon and he was as quiet as could be. I even thanked him for being a normal Red Sox fan and for keeping to himself, rooting for his team, and not being a jerk. It can be done, it's just that the majority of these people don't know how to carry themselves with class when going into a ballpark as the visiting team's fans.

I think the underlying theme is that when a fan goes into an opposing ballpark by himself, generally he's well-mannered. I've experienced both sides of that. I had a great Tigers fan next to me a few weeks ago...he was an older gentleman, and he was completely polite and had some great stories.

The problem is when you get groups going to games. Generally people have less inhibitions when they are surrounded by their friends because they feel protected, as if they can get away with bad behavior.

Jerome
08-27-2007, 12:00 AM
wow. Reading this thread just strengthens my hatred for these animals and all things red sox. Why does that ****ing franchise feel that they are entitled to everything.

The worst part is that these ****s have the Patriots too.

Hoffdaddydmb
08-27-2007, 12:19 AM
I was at the 2nd game on Friday and utterly disgusted by the Red Sox fans. I didn't hear one actual boston accent, which just perpetuated my theory on cubs fans having red sox envy. God forbid they respect us for winning it all in 2005! Then some 20 something girl in all boston gear started chanting Yankees suck?! I stood up and reminded her that everyone hates the yankees but why bring it up in chicago?! She actually had the nerve to tell me to shut up after she was clearly the annoying one. Did my best to quickly remind her about the outcome of the 2005 ALDS. Didn't hear from her again :D:

Myrtle72
08-27-2007, 05:51 AM
WEEI has 8 charters from AirTran flying daytrips on both Saturday and Sunday

It was $189 for same day round trip and ticket to game

USA Today has an article on America's Team

Red Sox Nation new king of the road (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/redsox/2007-08-22-Roadattendance_N.htm?csp=34)

Red Sox mania only gets on my nerves more now after moving to Boston. I was in the grocery store the other day and saw a whole section devoted to Red Sox Ice Cream. Green Monster Mint, ftw...

SoxFan78
08-27-2007, 08:10 AM
I had some guy in back of me in full Cubby Blue. Cubs hat, Cubs Jersey, Cubs Shirt. And he was cheering loudly for the Red Sox. That was really annoying.

Plus near the end of the game, some girl would run up to the front of the upper deck with a NESN poster trying to get on TV.

I will be selling my tickets for the Red Sox series next year, I just can't take it.

Fenway
08-27-2007, 08:41 AM
I had some guy in back of me in full Cubby Blue. Cubs hat, Cubs Jersey, Cubs Shirt. And he was cheering loudly for the Red Sox. That was really annoying.

Plus near the end of the game, some girl would run up to the front of the upper deck with a NESN poster trying to get on TV.

I will be selling my tickets for the Red Sox series next year, I just can't take it.

I worked camera yesterday on the first base concourse and part of the job between innings is to find these stupid signs. Yesterday was like shooting fish in a barrel the signs were everywhere...

Fenway
08-27-2007, 08:48 AM
The Jimmy Fund was a big winner in Chicago :smile:

Hey, just wanted to jump in during Amalie's rendering of this game to thank those of you who attended the Jimmy Fund charity event we staged last night in Chicago, and for your generosity. Over 300 folks came to the Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery last night and I am told that with a matching donation from an anonymous benefactor, who raised in the neighborhood of 60K.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

Fenway
08-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Believe me MOST Red Sox fans are fed up with this

from NESN.com

More than a baseball team, the Red Sox are a status symbol, and that is perhaps the most disappointing aspect of it all. Disdained, much like the Yankees before them, Boston's most beloved baseball team has gone from a local obsession to a national phenomenon. And as the owners and marketing gurus continue to benefit, the players, and the fans that can't find it in their heart or their wallet to continue with what was once their passion, are starting to understand the downside of it all.
That, for better or worse, is Red Sox Nation in 2007.

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2007/08/23/road_more_traveled/

chisoxfanatic
08-27-2007, 12:50 PM

Do I feel for you, Jen! Fortunately, I didn't have anything personally flung my way. I guess I was sort of protected by being with my die-hard Red Sox fan boyfriend who would've done something if it did happen.

It's an understatement to say that this was the most depressing weekend I ever remember in my 18 years as a Sox fan. It got so bad that I needed my boyfriend to comfort me after the game (I was crying big time). He gave me a big hug and kiss. He was very classy all weekend and will be the only one I'd be happy for if they won the World Series.

I guess that the thing I was the sickest about yesterday were the "SWEEP! SWEEP! SWEEP!" chants that came from around Section 540 (I was in 535) when the Red Sox took an 11-1 lead. We had not one thing go our way the entire four-game series, got blown out in EACH game, and it was OUR ballpark. There is no need for that crap!

*Overheard from a Sox fan next to me: "I've been to 18 Sox games this year, and they've only won 1!" :o: Instantly, I felt better.