PDA

View Full Version : All Time Sox Gold Glovers

LITTLE NELL
08-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Someone just came up with all time MLB gold glove team.
Heres my all time Sox team.
1B Mike Squires
2B Nellie Fox
3B Crede or Ventura
SS Louis Aparicio
OF Jim Landis
OF Ken Berry
OF Chet Lemon or Minnie
C Officer Karkovice
P Mark B. Jim Katt was great but was only here 2 years.

soxrme
08-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Not sure about Karko, Lollar was very good, Jungle Jim Rivera was also a good outfielder.

eriqjaffe
08-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Is Louis Aparicio related to Luis Aparicio? :D:

LITTLE NELL
08-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Not sure about Karko, Lollar was very good, Jungle Jim Rivera was also a good outfielder.
You and I are the same age so I know where you are coming from, Sherm and Jungle Jim were both on my short list. So was Fisk.

LITTLE NELL
08-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Is Louis Aparicio related to Luis Aparicio? :D:
My mistake.

soxfan13
08-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Someone just came up with all time MLB gold glove team.
Heres my all time Sox team.
1B Mike Squires
2B Nellie Fox
3B Crede or Ventura
SS Louis Aparicio
OF Jim Landis
OF Ken Berry
OF Chet Lemon or Minnie
C Officer Karkovice
P Mark B. Jim Katt was great but was only here 2 years.

Would you have to win a Gold Glove to be on this list? Crede has 0 compared to Robins 6. I think I would take Robin even without the trophies.

balke
08-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Would you have to win a Gold Glove to be on this list? Crede has 0 compared to Robins 6. I think I would take Robin even without the trophies.

Robin was such an awesome player. it seemed like he hit a granny every game I saw of his.

TornLabrum
08-23-2007, 10:21 AM
C Lollar or Karko
1B Joe Cunningham or Mike Squires (maybe even Jim Spencer)
2B Nellie Fox
SS Luis Aparicio
3B Robin Ventura or Willie Kamm
LF Minnie Minoso or Joe Jackson
CF Ken Berry or Jim Landis
RF Jim Rivera

chaerulez
08-23-2007, 12:08 PM

The MLB Gold Glove awards are nothing more than a popuarity contest.

soxfan13
08-23-2007, 12:33 PM
The MLB Gold Glove awards are nothing more than a popuarity contest.

Robin is hands down a better defensive third baseman then Crede.

esbrechtel
08-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Robin is hands down a better defensive third baseman then Crede.
That maybe but how many World Series web gems did Ventura make? And I seem to recall the announcers saying "just put the whole series on his shoulders..."

hi im skot
08-23-2007, 03:11 PM
That maybe but how many World Series web gems did Ventura make? And I seem to recall the announcers saying "just put the whole series on his shoulders..."

The thread author didn't ask anything about post season accomplishments.

I love Crede, but there's no way he's better than Robin.

soxinem1
08-23-2007, 06:03 PM
The thread author didn't ask anything about post season accomplishments.

I love Crede, but there's no way he's better than Robin.

Agreed. And it's nothing against Joe.

A very pleasant dilemma..

FoulTerritory
08-23-2007, 06:42 PM
While I would agree that if you look at the whole of their careers, Robin was generally superior to Crede. But I think the 2005 season that Crede had defensively was better than any single year that Ventura had. And also, if we're talking about a career gold glove award, I don't see any reason why we can't count the post-season. The espn article about the "list" even referenced brooks robinson's amazing world series defense.

Nellie_Fox
08-24-2007, 12:14 AM
The MLB Gold Glove awards are nothing more than a popularity contest.I've always looked at the Gold Glove as an award given to the best hitter at each position who doesn't absolutely embarrass himself defensively. The only time it goes to a real defensive player is when there is one who is so superior that it cannot be overlooked (Brooks Robinson, Ozzie Smith, that type.)

MetroPD
08-24-2007, 04:28 AM
Crede is excellent and I think he's been shorted on at least one gold glove in his career thus far, with that being said, Rockin' Robin defensively is one of the finest 3rd basemen to ever play the game in my opinion.

soxfanreggie
08-26-2007, 01:03 PM
What...no love for the Choice?

ode to veeck
08-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Brian Anderson in CF

Robin was so solid at the hot corner, but Crede is simply amazing there too most of the time, and had a playoff run for the ring that reminded me of Brooks best year

Minnie in left. He won 3 GGs after they invented it after he was already past the age of 30 (back when it did mean something defensively). He was also a pretty decent IF too, mostly at 3rd but also filled in at SS once in a while. His all-star and WS appearances in the NEgro leagues were at 3B

Of the guys I saw, Chet Lemon best chased fly balls high off the cinderblock in the corners when it was 440 to the plate