PDA

View Full Version : Rogers Sox article today.

LITTLE NELL
08-23-2007, 05:51 AM
Is Phil Rogers blind? In todays article he states that the Sox have had no injuries except for bruised egos. Where does he think Joe Crede has been all season, how about Thome, Ozuna, Pods, and Erstad plus Hall playing with a bum shoulder. Where is this guy been all season?

Frater Perdurabo
08-23-2007, 06:06 AM
He also reported that Fields' homer yesterday was a two-run blast. It was a three-run homer.

I like Phil Rogers but he needs to check his facts.

Railsplitter
08-23-2007, 06:58 AM
Is Phil Rogers blind? In todays article he states that the Sox have had no injuries except for bruised egos. Where does he think Joe Crede has been all season, how about Thome, Ozuna, Pods, and Erstad plus Hall playing with a bum shoulder. Where is this guy been all season?

With his head jammed into his posterior, most likely.

The Racehorse
08-23-2007, 07:09 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070822rogers,1,4261264.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

There's really no one thing you can put your finger on. General manager Ken Williams has shuffled his roster a lot but maintained the foundation guys. There has been no run of injuries, unless you count bruised egos.

Where has Phil Rogers been, Guatemala?

soxfanatlanta
08-23-2007, 07:37 AM
He also reported that Fields' homer yesterday was a two-run blast. It was a three-run homer.

I like Phil Rogers but he needs to lay off the meth.

Fixed it for you.

oeo
08-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Is Phil Rogers blind?

No, he's just completely stupid. Nothing new here, just Rogers being Rogers.

tebman
08-23-2007, 09:04 AM
He's not blind and he's been around all season. His problem is that he needs something to write and and the "bruised egos" line sounded so snappy he couldn't resist.

We all know there's no one reason for the Sox' implosion this year, but to say that there have been no injuries is absurd. And it's almost as silly to suggest that getting Alex Rodriguez is going to make all the difference. Rogers has a pressman's infatuation with big names and splashy events. That's why he waxed poetic on here about the Tribune's coverage of the '05 postseason and also why he couldn't resist congratulating the Cubs for commiting hundreds of millions of his company's money on guys like Ted Lilly, while saying that trading Brandon McCarthy was "despicable." Another snappy turn of phrase he couldn't resist.

The Tribune also can't resist "told you so" moments, even if they're fleeting and have no real cause-and-effect basis. Hey, if the Tribune says the Sox have had no injuries, then there were no injuries -- what's the problem?

Bah.

kitekrazy
08-23-2007, 09:33 AM
It was poorly written. After reading it twice I was trying to figure out if there was a main point.

HerzogVon
08-23-2007, 10:12 AM
>>Quote:
There's really no one thing you can put your finger on. General manager Ken Williams has shuffled his roster a lot but maintained the foundation guys. There has been no run of injuries, unless you count bruised egos. <<

"Hello, boys and girls. How are you today? I'm deluded, as usual. Can you say deluded? No? Then you must be White Sox fans. Get out of my neighborhood!

Just kidding, kiddies. Soon as I put on my blue and white sweater with the nice red 'C' on it, we'll take the trolley to Make Believe, where all the Cubbies are heroic and the bad guys wear black, white and silver. You'll like that, won't you boys and girls? [ Pause and dissolve ]

Here we are at Tribune Tower, the home of King Friday Edition. Oh, look! There's Lady Schmich and the cretinous Mr. Zorn from the Metro North section. Let's hear what they have to say, shall we?" :)

ad nauseum

Britt Burns
08-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Jeez Phil, you are right about how infrequently it occurs that a team who is great one year becomes so lousy the next. I mean, locally you'd have to take the way-back machine all the way to the previous millenium and the '99 Cubs, who went 67-95 after a 90-73 1998. Then you would have to go even farther back in time, to the '95 Sox and thier 68-76 record compared to 67-46 in the strike-shortened year before. If you have time you could revisit the '84 Sox (25 less wins than '83) and the '78 club (19 less wins).

I'm guessing that you could pretty easily find other examples if you looked at the other major league teams. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a guy who spent five minutes on the internet doing some fact-checking before confirming with what is popularly known as 'evidence' or 'proof' that you pulled this storyline straight out of your behind.

Huisj
08-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Jeez Phil, you are right about how infrequently it occurs that a team who is great one year becomes so lousy the next. I mean, locally you'd have to take the way-back machine all the way to the previous millenium and the '99 Cubs, who went 67-95 after a 90-73 1998. Then you would have to go even farther back in time, to the '95 Sox and thier 68-76 record compared to 67-46 in the strike-shortened year before. If you have time you could revisit the '84 Sox (25 less wins than '83) and the '78 club (19 less wins).

I'm guessing that you could pretty easily find other examples if you looked at the other major league teams. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a guy who spent five minutes on the internet doing some fact-checking before confirming with what is popularly known as 'evidence' or 'proof' that you pulled this storyline straight out of your behind.

How about the Angels for another recent example? The won 99 games and the world series in '02, then went 77-85 in '03.

WhiteSox5187
08-23-2007, 12:48 PM
The Tribune must be so gleeful right now with the Cubs in first (for today) and the Sox in last...but I can't help but wonder will there be articles criticle of the Cubs after they crash and burn this year and then probably wind up losing ninety next year??

ws05champs
08-23-2007, 07:49 PM
More than 1,000 words and he said absolutely nothing. Amazing!

kitekrazy
08-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Jeez Phil, you are right about how infrequently it occurs that a team who is great one year becomes so lousy the next. I mean, locally you'd have to take the way-back machine all the way to the previous millenium and the '99 Cubs, who went 67-95 after a 90-73 1998.

You nailed it. This happens quite a bit with the Cubs.