PDA

View Full Version : Good Outings last night in the Sox Minors...

Randar68
04-08-2002, 03:03 AM
AAA:
Well, for everyone but Delvis Lantigua anways. Lantigua was the starter for Charlotte in a 9-7 10 inning win over Richmond. Lantigua gave up 5 ER's on 3 hits and 3 BB's, including 2 HR's in 3 IP. Ginter came on for the ninth, and gave 2 up in the bottom of the 10th after the Knights scored 4 in the top half to get the win. Willie Harris was 2-5 with a triple, Hummel was 3-4 with a couple doubles, 2 RBI's, 1 R, and a walk. Ingram, Inglin, and Saunders all had 2 hits a piece.

AA:
Josh Fields got the start and had a good outing, allowing 1 R (unearned) on 5 hits in 5 IP. He had no walks and 3 K's in the ND. Lee Evans and Alex Fernandez had HR's for the Barons. Evans played 1st and Olivo (1-4 last night) caught. Brad Bohannan gave up 5 R's, only 1 earned, on 5 hits in 1 - 1/3 IP for the L in the 7-4 loss to Orlando.

A - Winston-Salem:
Wyatt Allen got the start in the 5-4 win. Box scores not yet available...

A - Kannapolis:
Kris Honel was scheduled to start this 2-1 win. Box scores not yet available...

Mathew
04-08-2002, 03:07 AM
Good to see Honel throw well :smile:

kermittheefrog
04-08-2002, 03:55 AM
More info about those A-ball games:

Winston-Salem:
Wyatt Allen smacked down he pitched 5 innings, allowed a run on a solo homer. Overall he gave up 2 hits, walked one and struck out 7. He's a guy to watch, Baseball America labelled him as closest to the majors among the Sox 2001 draftees. He's a college guy who can hit 97 on the guns with his fastball but struggled at Tennesse so the Sox have worked with him on mechanics and breaking pitches. Dan Wright had a similar background coming out of school. Edwin Yan got his first hit of the seaso and scored a run, going 1-5. Guillermo Reyes went 1-2, scored a run and walked twice.

Kannapolis:
Kris Honel outpiched fellow top prospect Gavin Floyd although both were impressive in 5 innings stints. Honel silenced Lakewood's bats giving up just 3 hits, while striking out 8 and walking none. Floyd, who is in the Phillies organization, allowed one run on 2 hits striking out 7. Chris Amador who was making Lofton like chaos for the Intimidators got moved up to the 2 spot in the batting order and went 0-3. Mike Morse played third base and went 0-4 lowering his average to .125.

Randar68
04-08-2002, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
More info about those A-ball games:

Winston-Salem:
Wyatt Allen smacked down he pitched 5 innings, allowed a run on a solo homer. Overall he gave up 2 hits, walked one and struck out 7. He's a guy to watch, Baseball America labelled him as closest to the majors among the Sox 2001 draftees. He's a college guy who can hit 97 on the guns with his fastball but struggled at Tennesse so the Sox have worked with him on mechanics and breaking pitches. Dan Wright had a similar background coming out of school.

Now that's a good outing in his first High-A start. While Allen had some control problems at Tennessee, it happened mostly because he changed arm angles between just about every pitch. He would deliver the ball anywhere between about 2/3's Arm angle to higher thna 3/4's arm angle, and could occassionally drop down. He never has pitched with a consistent arm angle, but he has had much more success at a higher level than Danny Wright ever did in College. He was outstanding in the CWS, and often threw 130 pitches in an outing while maintaining his velocity. Consistent mechanics and a better change-up will make a big difference, but his slider and curve are already good pitches.

Kannapolis:
Kris Honel outpiched fellow top prospect Gavin Floyd although both were impressive in 5 innings stints. Honel silenced Lakewood's bats giving up just 3 hits, while striking out 8 and walking none.

Honel picking up where he left off. Good to see them getting pulled after 5 innings this early in the season. NO need to push these guys in April, or in August for that matter! LOL! His command and feel for pitching is amazing for such a young kid. I haven't seen him since last season, has he put any weight on in the offseason? He was 175 punds soaking wet last year at 6'5"!

kermittheefrog
04-08-2002, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Now that's a good outing in his first High-A start. While Allen had some control problems at Tennessee, it happened mostly because he changed arm angles between just about every pitch. He would deliver the ball anywhere between about 2/3's Arm angle to higher thna 3/4's arm angle, and could occassionally drop down. He never has pitched with a consistent arm angle, but he has had much more success at a higher level than Danny Wright ever did in College. He was outstanding in the CWS, and often threw 130 pitches in an outing while maintaining his velocity. Consistent mechanics and a better change-up will make a big difference, but his slider and curve are already good pitches.

He had a 6.30 ERA in his junior year at Tennessee, that's pretty bad.

duke of dorwood
04-08-2002, 07:43 AM
:nardi

Can't wait to teach these guys how to pitch

foulkesfan11
04-08-2002, 08:29 AM
Hopefully nardi won't get the chance. I'm hoping he gets fired before June.

Iguana775
04-08-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
Hopefully nardi won't get the chance. I'm hoping he gets fired before June.

i am hoping that he gets fired before the end of the week. :)

Mathew
04-08-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

He had a 6.30 ERA in his junior year at Tennessee, that's pretty bad.

Forgive me if this is a stupid qyestion, but what is a good E.R.A. in college? Does the aluminum bat change it much or does the lack of really great competition water it down, or neither what?

Randar68
04-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Mathew

Forgive me if this is a stupid qyestion, but what is a good E.R.A. in college? Does the aluminum bat change it much or does the lack of really great competition water it down, or neither what?

Well, for a top prospect on the D1 level, I would guess a 3-4 ERA is pretty good. Again, Allen, pitched 2 of the best games in college baseball last year, against Middle Tennessee state and in the CWS game they ended up losing. Allen gets hurt by walks, mostly in college. If I recall correctly, he had a really low Opp BA against....

RedPinStripes
04-08-2002, 07:05 PM

Well, for a top prospect on the D1 level, I would guess a 3-4 ERA is pretty good. Again, Allen, pitched 2 of the best games in college baseball last year, against Middle Tennessee state and in the CWS game they ended up losing. Allen gets hurt by walks, mostly in college. If I recall correctly, he had a really low Opp BA against....

If i remeber correctly, I heard it on the score last year the day he was drafted. Isn't this the guy who has been clocked a 100mph but had some serious control problems? I think he was the 2nd or 3rd pick last year for the Sox.

Randar68
04-08-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

If i remeber correctly, I heard it on the score last year the day he was drafted. Isn't this the guy who has been clocked a 100mph but had some serious control problems? I think he was the 2nd or 3rd pick last year for the Sox.

Allen was a Supplemental first round pick, 39th overall, and the 2nd Sox pick of the draft. I don't think he's ever been able to hit 100, but he can pitch between 95-97 at times. He has a hard slider/slurve...

His control problems were mostly due to extremely inconsistent mechanics and him changing arm angles all the time.

Daver
04-08-2002, 08:50 PM

Allen was a Supplemental first round pick, 39th overall, and the 2nd Sox pick of the draft. I don't think he's ever been able to hit 100, but he can pitch between 95-97 at times. He has a hard slider/slurve...

His control problems were mostly due to extremely inconsistent mechanics and him changing arm angles all the time.

Don't let Nardi anywhere near this guy.

Randar68
04-08-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by daver

LOL! Daver.....

Nardi, BLA!

baggio202
04-08-2002, 09:22 PM

if nardi even looks at the kid once...schedule his labrum surgery immeadiately

RedPinStripes
04-08-2002, 10:18 PM

as long as he knows how to pitch instead of just throwing heat, I'll be more then happy with 97mph.

Supplemental first round pick sounds much more accurate. I knew they got him early and have high hopes for him. Not that the 670am is anything accurate, but I think it was Bruce levine that said he has been clocked at 100. That's what made me wonder who this guy was.

RedPinStripes
04-08-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

if nardi even looks at the kid once...schedule his labrum surgery immeadiately

:nardi
"We'll fix him up . Dont you worry about that."

Daver
04-08-2002, 10:38 PM

as long as he knows how to pitch instead of just throwing heat, I'll be more then happy with 97mph.

Supplemental first round pick sounds much more accurate. I knew they got him early and have high hopes for him. Not that the 670am is anything accurate, but I think it was Bruce levine that said he has been clocked at 100. That's what made me wonder who this guy was.

Bruce Levine works for AM 1000.

RedPinStripes
04-08-2002, 10:41 PM

Bruce Levine works for AM 1000.

David shooster might be the one I'm thinking of. I know i butchered his name

Mathew
04-08-2002, 11:02 PM

Randy Johnson still holds Texas High School records (probably took so lickings in college too) for walks and hit batsmen, he turned out all right.

Mathew
04-09-2002, 03:33 AM
I didn't even realize that was the Famous 500th post! :gulp:

RedPinStripes
04-09-2002, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Mathew
I didn't even realize that was the Famous 500th post! :gulp:

Moving up in senority. Congrats! :gulp:

RichH55
04-09-2002, 05:00 AM

Moving up in senority. Congrats! :gulp:

Sure...today you're number 500 and before you know it 1,500..the kids have grown up, college is paid off, you're pension isn't quite enough, and you're listening to the Cats in the Cradle wondering where all the time went....sonsabitches

RedPinStripes
04-09-2002, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

Sure...today you're number 500 and before you know it 1,500..the kids have grown up, college is paid off, you're pension isn't quite enough, and you're listening to the Cats in the Cradle wondering where all the time went....sonsabitches

LOL! :gulp: