1BWes Parker
2BJoe Morgan
SSOzzie Smith
3BBrooks Robinson
OFWillie Mays
OFRoberto Clemente
OFKen Griffey Jr.
PGreg Maddux

I think Joe Morgan probably voted for himself a few million times. I would give second base to Alomar or Sandberg before Joe. Other than that, I think the list is OK

wilburaga
08-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Wes Parker???

All he did was watch Sandy Koufax strike batters out. I'll take Keith Hernandez.

W

soxfanatlanta
08-22-2007, 01:42 PM
I'll take Keith Hernandez.

+1

I would have chosen Ryne Sandberg or Roberto Alomar over Morgan as well.

FedEx227
08-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Alomar light years ahead of Morgan.

AngryCollins
08-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Morgan? If self regard is the primary criteria, then he wins, hands down.

eriqjaffe
08-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Being ESPN, of course, the only runner-up they waxed rhapsodic about was Derek Jeter.

The popular Jeter certainly boosted his chances with that into-the-seats diving catch against Boston and his backhanded flip in the playoffs to nip Oakland.:rolleyes:

The Racehorse
08-22-2007, 02:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2985977

C Johnny Bench
1BWes Parker
2BJoe Morgan
SSOzzie Smith
3BBrooks Robinson
OFWillie Mays
OFRoberto Clemente
OFKen Griffey Jr.
PGreg Maddux

When I see that list, I mostly think of offensive stats. That's the best Rawlings could do?

EDIT: I just scanned the article and saw that it was a vote among fans... a popularity contest.
Nearly 1 million votes for the all-time team were received online, through the mail and in person at sporting goods stores.

StillMissOzzie
08-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Hawk and DJ both liked Roberto Alomar over Joe Morgan at 2B, too.

SMO
:gulp:

TornLabrum
08-22-2007, 03:09 PM

C Johnny Bench
1BWes Parker
2BJoe Morgan
SSOzzie Smith
3BBrooks Robinson
OFWillie Mays
OFRoberto Clemente
OFKen Griffey Jr.
PGreg Maddux

I think Joe Morgan probably voted for himself a few million times. I would give second base to Alomar or Sandberg before Joe. Other than that, I think the list is OK

I'd give 2B to Mazeroski before I'd give it to any of the above.

FedEx227
08-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Being ESPN, of course, the only runner-up they waxed rhapsodic about was Derek Jeter.

:rolleyes:

Not surprised. Jeter is the most overrated defensive player in recent memory. Because of two plays, one that he didn't even need to make and another that was more or less right-place-right time, people have forgotten his total lack of range.

DoItForDanPasqua
08-22-2007, 04:18 PM
My sleepless nights spent voting for Doug Strange for third base went for naught.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-22-2007, 06:24 PM
I'd give 2B to Mazeroski before I'd give it to any of the above.
I'll second that.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-22-2007, 06:28 PM

C Johnny Bench
1BWes Parker
2BJoe Morgan
SSOzzie Smith
3BBrooks Robinson
OFWillie Mays
OFRoberto Clemente
OFKen Griffey Jr.
PGreg Maddux

Tris Speaker was regarded as the best fielding outfielder for generations. He played just as well during the live ball era as the dead ball era too. Of course very little/no film exists of his play in center, so he isn't very popular on ESPN.

Railsplitter
08-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Parker must have got in based on his "Brady Bunch" cameo

Brian26
08-22-2007, 06:57 PM
+1

I would have chosen Ryne Sandberg or Roberto Alomar over Morgan as well.

Sandberg is the most overated second baseman, defensively, in history.

FarWestChicago
08-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Sandberg is the most overated second baseman, defensively, in history.You are correct, sir. He's The Choice of second basemen.

TornLabrum
08-22-2007, 07:09 PM
You are correct, sir. He's The Choice of second basemen.

Ole!

chaerulez
08-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Not surprised. Jeter is the most overrated defensive player in recent memory. Because of two plays, one that he didn't even need to make and another that was more or less right-place-right time, people have forgotten his total lack of range.

Derek Jeter in any conversation that has the words "all time Gold Glove" is just laughable.

JB98
08-22-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure Jeter is in the top 50 of all-time defensive shortstops. In my 31 years, I've seen quite a few come through the league who are better. I'd have to go with Omar Vizquel.

Even though I'm too young to have seen him play, I've read my history and I'd like to think Luis Aparicio would be in the discussion.

Alomar is the best second baseman I've seen. I agree with Hawk and DJ.

Dan Mega
08-22-2007, 08:46 PM
You are correct, sir. He's The Choice of second basemen.

:rolling:

FedEx227
08-22-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm not sure Jeter is in the top 50 of all-time defensive shortstops. In my 31 years, I've seen quite a few come through the league who are better. I'd have to go with Omar Vizquel.

No, he's nowhere near "top 50". If we're talking about "top 50" in the amount of web-gems or ESPN highlights then no doubt, but most great defensive plays aren't shown on highlight shows.

ChiSoxRowand
08-23-2007, 01:05 AM
just look at Jeter's fielding stats.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jeterde01.shtml

His career range is below average and his fielding percentage is just above. No way he should win gold gloves, or be in this discussion.

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2007, 01:06 AM
just look at Jeter's fielding stats.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jeterde01.shtml

His career range is below average and his fielding percentage is just above. No way he should win gold gloves, or be in this discussion.But, but, but, all those Web-Gems!!!

UserNameBlank
08-23-2007, 01:18 AM

Even though I'm too young to have seen him play, I've read my history and I'd like to think Luis Aparicio would be in the discussion.

Alomar is the best second baseman I've seen. I agree with Hawk and DJ.
Of the MIF I've seen play in my lifetime, I'd go with the Vizquel/Alomar combo too.

hose
08-23-2007, 07:23 AM

C Johnny Bench
1BWes Parker
2BJoe Morgan
SSOzzie Smith
3BBrooks Robinson
OFWillie Mays
OFRoberto Clemente
OFKen Griffey Jr.
PGreg Maddux

They are all great but as much as I like Joe Morgan his name doesn't come to mind. I would have gone with Mazerowski or Alomar.

Ivan Rodriguez is right there with Bench.

Plenty of great 1b besides Parker, I would take Keith Hernandez.

I also would have no problem taking Omar Vizquel over Ozzie Smith.

Brooks would always be #1 with me.

Andruw Jones is as good as CF as any of the all time greats.

Dan Mega
08-23-2007, 07:59 AM
The media members pick the gold glove winners right? Or who does it if not? From what I can tell they base it off this criteria:

1)How "flashy" they make plays look
2)How popular their team is
3)How good they can swing a stick

eriqjaffe
08-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Jeter has the uncanny ability to make the hard plays out of easy plays and base hits out of hard plays.

PennStater98r
08-27-2007, 05:04 PM
But, but, but, all those Web-Gems!!!

I only quote this man - because didn't the White Sox have a 2B playing for them for a few years that was a better defender for a longer amount of time than Morgan?

That said, 2B is Maz.

I think some discussion should have been around a guy by the name of Little Luis before we start talking about Derek Freaking Jeter too.

PennStater98r
08-27-2007, 05:05 PM
They are all great but as much as I like Joe Morgan his name doesn't come to mind. I would have gone with Mazerowski or Alomar.

Ivan Rodriguez is right there with Bench.

Plenty of great 1b besides Parker, I would take Keith Hernandez.

I also would have no problem taking Omar Vizquel over Ozzie Smith.

Brooks would always be #1 with me.

Andruw Jones was as good as CF as any of the all time greats.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

ode to veeck
08-27-2007, 09:22 PM
In is prime, Ozzie Guillen was every bit as good or better than Ozzie Smith

chisoxfanatic
08-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Where's Brian Anderson on this list???

Domeshot17
08-27-2007, 10:16 PM
My .02 on the list.

Me and West don't seem to agree on much (Grossman, Airness vs Sweetness ) haha, but I agree here. Growing up, the thing I would notice about Sandberg was he didnt make errors because he didnt try. If there was a ball he may not get too, he let it go, instead of possibly touching it and getting an error. My dad would joke he only had to go through 2 uniforms a year 1 home 1 away because they never got dirty.

Talking 1b, I'll take 2 of the softest hitting that played. JT Snow or Doug Mankeiwieitiahrbeitz. Those guys were great, but unrecognized because they hit like middle IF. Ozzie Smith was the obvious choice, you can argue it, but can't be upset by it. Morgan is a joke. The OF is debatable, Griffey in his prime was as good as anyone. Personally, I might have put Ichiro in. The catches this guy makes combined with the ground he covers and the laser for an arm he has, hes the complete package. Even the catches he doesnt make leave me in awe. Thome hit a ball in seattle last trip that 95% of CF watch go over, Ichiro 3 steps up the wall and almost brings it back.

FarWestChicago
08-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Me and West don't seem to agree on much (Grossman, Airness vs Sweetness ) haha, but I agree here. Growing up, the thing I would notice about Sandberg was he didnt make errors because he didnt try. If there was a ball he may not get too, he let it go, instead of possibly touching it and getting an error. My dad would joke he only had to go through 2 uniforms a year 1 home 1 away because they never got dirty.At least we agree on something. :thumbsup:

There might be another if Rex isn't solid this year. :D:

ode to veeck
08-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Where's Brian Anderson on this list???

beat me to it