thomas35forever
08-21-2007, 11:13 PM
I luuuuuv me some wins!:D:

Railsplitter
08-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Two in a row, even if it is against K.C.:bandance::bandance:

Tragg
08-21-2007, 11:14 PM
I like the way the Sox responded to the Royals - we may be bad, but we're not as crappy as you. Cellar sucks, let's keep winning.

I like how the 38 year old phenom is immediately put into the relief rotation, while Floyd is nothing but mop up. That's developing players, ozzie-style.

oeo
08-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Fourth place is all ours again...

I can't believe I'm actually happy about fourth place. :(:

Bobby's streak at 6...

FielderJones
08-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Six in a row for Bobby. The new streak has started!

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-21-2007, 11:16 PM
I remember when Victories meant something...:(:

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Good, now it would be nice for us to get our first home sweep of the season. It's sad that it's late August and we haven't had one yet.

TomParrish79
08-21-2007, 11:20 PM
plus Thome is closing in on 500

JB98
08-21-2007, 11:23 PM
I like the way the Sox responded to the Royals - we may be bad, but we're not as crappy as you. Cellar sucks, let's keep winning.

I like how the 38 year old phenom is immediately put into the relief rotation, while Floyd is nothing but mop up. That's developing players, ozzie-style.

I think Floyd has pitched his way out of the organization's plans. Although, I agree that this Myers signing makes no sense. I'm not a Logan fan, but Boone is more effective at getting lefties out than Myers at this stage of his career.

soxstarter
08-21-2007, 11:25 PM
plus Thome is closing in on 500

Ya think he can make it by his birthday? August 27th!

Tragg
08-21-2007, 11:30 PM
I think Floyd has pitched his way out of the organization's plans. Although, I agree that this Myers signing makes no sense. I'm not a Logan fan, but Boone is more effective at getting lefties out than Myers at this stage of his career.
4 starts and only 2 consecutive, and he's out of there. That's giving him a chance. He strikes out a lot of batters.

Whatever, load the team up with mediocre middle relievers...it worked so well this year, let's get more Ardsmas and MacDougals.
There's an entire string below about how Meyers cant get lefties out. Ozzie puts him in there against a lefty. That's preparation and the entire strategy - lefty/righty, righty/lefty.
And Bukvich - lives on others getting him out of trouble again. At least his 1.47 WHIP is more revealing.

I'd much rather the "kids" in the pen next year than these bums. Jenks, Thornton, I guess Wasserman and Logan are okay.

JB98
08-21-2007, 11:35 PM
4 starts and only 2 consecutive, and he's out of there. That's giving him a chance. He strikes out a lot of batters.

Whatever, load the team up with mediocre middle relievers...it worked so well this year, let's get more Ardsmas and MacDougals.
There's an entire string below about how Meyers cant get lefties out. Ozzie puts him in there against a lefty. That's preparation and the entire strategy - lefty/righty, righty/lefty.
And Bukvich - lives on others getting him out of trouble again. At least his 1.47 WHIP is more revealing.

I'd much rather the "kids" that these bums.

Floyd is giving up home runs by the bucketful. If we're going for it next year, he can't be a part of the plans. We need to replace Contreras, but Gavin has done nothing to show me he's that guy.

I'm not sure why you're down on MacDougal. The key is keeping him healthy. When he's healthy, he throws the ball well. When he's hurt, he struggles. He's been that way his whole career.

You're preaching to the choir on Bukvich and Myers.

oeo
08-21-2007, 11:42 PM

How does it not make sense? Did you miss the majority of the season in which we had no help in the bullpen?

Here's how I feel: we can never have enough bullpen arms, ever. If we need to have Wassermann or Logan, or whoever, in the minors because our bullpen is lights out...great. If someone starts struggling, you have that insurance policy.

Who cares who is in the bullpen next year, as long as they get people out? Kenny should be pulling in as many arms as he can get, so we don't run into another situation like this year. If someone implodes we'll actually have some backup plans. Just like the Tigers did this year, and the Twins do every year...how do you think they sustain a good bullpen? They have a surplus of arms.

Tragg
08-21-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm not sure why you're down on MacDougal. The key is keeping him healthy. When he's healthy, he throws the ball well. When he's hurt, he struggles. He's been that way his whole career.

Is he chronically unhealthy or just going through a bad time? From your post "his whole career" it sounds like he's always unhealthy.
I can't tell when he's healthy or unhealthy. So, right now, is he healthy or unhealthy?
I know we want to win and minimize risk, but perhaps expand some of these young pitchers beyond lefty/lefty, righty/righty and see what they can do.

Tragg
08-21-2007, 11:56 PM
How does it not make sense? Did you miss the majority of the season in which we had no help in the bullpen?

Here's how I feel: we can never have enough bullpen arms, ever. If we need to have Wassermann or Logan, or whoever, in the minors because our bullpen is lights out...great. If someone starts struggling, you have that insurance policy.

It makes a lot of sense. Remember all of the garb we had pre 2005 that hurt this team? Rick White, Mike Jackson, Embree - those arems didn't help, they hurt. Aardsma? Riske (okay, but only mediocre). You can't count on them, but the command 1-2 mill in salary that you're on the hook for. Meyers isn't cheap

Further, we have deep talent in YOUNG pitching that could be getting major league experience. The Wassermans and Logans have outpitched most of the veterans....let's get next year's Wassermans and Logans ready now.

Quantity over quality, in contrast to the 2005 approach that, oh, only won a WS and was a lockdown bullpen all year long.

JB98
08-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Is he chronically unhealthy or just going through a bad time? From your post "his whole career" it sounds like he's always unhealthy.
I can't tell when he's healthy or unhealthy. So, right now, is he healthy or unhealthy?
I know we want to win and minimize risk, but perhaps expand some of these young pitchers beyond lefty/lefty, righty/righty and see what they can do.

MacDougal is healthy now. He's throwing well since he came back. I think the team needs him to help solidify that right-handed setup role. He's a better pitcher than Aardsma, Bukvich and the rest of these guys. If you have Mac healthy and Wasserman continues to throw well, then the right-handed middle relief is in decent shape. You have one guy who is a power arm, while the other is a soft-tosser who relies on control. That's a couple different looks you can throw at teams.

I want to see Ozzie get away from the lefty-righty stuff too, especially for the younger members of the bullpen. Logan, in particular, I would like to see develop a more complete repetoire so he can get both righties and lefties out. I don't want Myers taking away appearances from Logan at this stage. I'm not a big Boone fan, but in fairness to him, he was rushed to the big leagues. He has a decent arm. It comes down to whether he can refine his control and develop a better change-up.

JB98
08-22-2007, 12:06 AM

Who cares who is in the bullpen next year, as long as they get people out? Kenny should be pulling in as many arms as he can get, so we don't run into another situation like this year. If someone implodes we'll actually have some backup plans. Just like the Tigers did this year, and the Twins do every year...how do you think they sustain a good bullpen? They have a surplus of arms.

Typically, I'm not high on guys who got cut by contending teams. The Yankees aren't overflowing with great bullpen arms, yet they still deemed Myers expendable.

Oldfellah
08-22-2007, 12:49 AM
GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bandance::bandance:

Brian26
08-22-2007, 01:05 AM
I think Floyd has pitched his way out of the organization's plans.

Garland got four years to figure it out, while Floyd gets two starts? I'm not saying I'm a huge Gavin Floyd fan, but I can't imagine they've completely given up on him yet.

SBSoxFan
08-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Garland got four years to figure it out, while Floyd gets two starts? I'm not saying I'm a huge Gavin Floyd fan, but I can't imagine they've completely given up on him yet.

So did Crede, but the approach has changed. The organization expects to compete every year, resulting in short leashes for rookies.

SBSoxFan
08-22-2007, 10:10 AM

Logan did pitch a whole inning last night, faced two righties iirc.

oeo
08-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Typically, I'm not high on guys who got cut by contending teams. The Yankees aren't overflowing with great bullpen arms, yet they still deemed Myers expendable.

And are we contending? No. We're not picking up Myers to solidify our bullpen this year. If he sucks, he sucks.

What's wrong with picking him up, and seeing what we can get from him? If he looks good, we have him for next year. If not, we don't have to pick up the option.

Look, Ryan Bukvich, of all people, is our best reliever next to Jenks. Yes, that's right...Ryan Bukvich. That's how much of a crap shoot bullpens are. We could catch lightning in a bottle with Myers next year, or he could suck. If he sucks, he's only costing us a little over a million. It's a low risk, with the possibility of a high reward...how can you complain about that?