PDA

View Full Version : Pods rib cage hurt again

GlassSox
08-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Pods is out of the game for his rib cage again. I wonder how long he'll be out this time.

gregoriop
08-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Good grief.

WhiteSox5187
08-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Well...there's no point in bringing him back now even as a fourth OF.

getonbckthr
08-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Sayanara

MCHSoxFan
08-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Pods is out of the game for his rib cage again. I wonder how long he'll be out this time.

Looks like I will have to change my sig. :(:

GlassSox
08-21-2007, 09:29 PM
I like Pods and will never forget WS 05 G2 but it's time for him to go. Glad we were there Monday night to see his HR. So long Scott.

getonbckthr
08-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Didn't he hurt his ribs last time he hit a homer this season?

GlassSox
08-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Didn't he hurt his ribs last time he hit a homer this season?

Wow good point, I'm not sure but I think you are right. Can anyone confirm or deny?

hi im skot
08-21-2007, 09:46 PM
GlassSox:

Did Podsednik inspire your username?

GlassSox
08-21-2007, 10:00 PM
hi im skot:

Nah, been in the glass container manufacturing business for 35 years.

hi im skot
08-21-2007, 10:04 PM
hi im skot:

Nah, been in the glass container manufacturing business for 35 years.

And I assume that the glass you manufacture is much sturdier than Pods.

:redneck

StillMissOzzie
08-21-2007, 10:09 PM
And yet he didn't like being considered fragile and injury prone. I haven't heard yet if this is just a tweak or yet another trip to the DL, but this might be the straw that broke the camel's back regarding Pods being here in 2008.

Thanks for all you did in 2005, Scotty, but your plane in now boarding...

SMO
:?:

roadrunner
08-21-2007, 10:10 PM
i will be just as shocked next time erstad or thome gets hurt

GlassSox
08-21-2007, 10:24 PM
And I assume that the glass you manufacture is much sturdier than Pods.

:redneck

Oh hell yes.

Craig Grebeck
08-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Please don't try to lump Pods, Erstad and Thome together. Thome is nothing like them and his bat actually makes him useful as a full time guy. Erstad is a useful bench player and Pods shouldn't be in MLB.

Tragg
08-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Can we call up another outfielder and let Erstad play backup of and 1B like he's been doing?

And who's the bench middle infielder these days?

HerzogVon
08-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Please don't try to lump Pods, Erstad and Thome together. Thome is nothing like them and his bat actually makes him useful as a full time guy. Erstad is a useful bench player and Pods shouldn't be in MLB.

I just don't get it with this group. We turn on every player who helped us win a 2005 championsip - save maybe for AJ and MB - but defend to the death "Big Stiff" Thome, who wasn't even freakin' here! WHY??!! :angry:

Lillian
08-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Wow good point, I'm not sure but I think you are right. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Apparently he injured it in his next at bat, not on the home run.
The incredible thing to me is that I understand it is his other side!
This means he didn't aggravate the previous injury, but incurred a new one. How does he injure both sides in the same season? Good grief!!

The Dude
08-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Hopefully this is the last we see of this glass noodle armed left fielder!:o:

The Dude
08-22-2007, 08:47 AM

The difference is that both of those guys are usually much more productive when healthy.

palehozenychicty
08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
The difference is that both of those guys are usually much more productive when healthy.

Need i say more?

russ99
08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
I like Pods and will never forget WS 05 G2 but it's time for him to go. Glad we were there Monday night to see his HR. So long Scott.

Aw, man that really sucks. I was at the game on Monday, and I had a strange feeling that it was the last time I'd see him hit a homer with the Sox.

I'm a huge fan and I have his name & number on my Sox jersey, but even I believe it might be time for him to go.

On the other hand, I don't see why Thome should get a free pass. Sure he's a power hitter, but I'm beyond aggravated that he can't hit the ball to the left side to save his life and get rid of that stupid shift. He's becoming a homer or nothing hitter, and I wonder if his injury issues have something to do with that.

kevin57
08-22-2007, 09:32 AM
I just don't get it with this group. We turn on every player who helped us win a 2005 championsip - save maybe for AJ and MB - but defend to the death "Big Stiff" Thome, who wasn't even freakin' here! WHY??!! :angry:

Amen, Brother! Pods may well be too fragile to rely on for '08, but we tend to win when he's playing. I don't get the Thome fan club around here. There are some who praise him like he's the new Frank Thomas. Ugh! I expect more than .260 BA from our DH. He was brought in specifically to upgrade us from Rowand coming out of a championship year...and I fully supported that trade. But what has he brought to the table of a championship club?

pierzynski07
08-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Actually, the trade was to upgrade a declining Everett and an injured Thomas, with the the hope that BAAA would easily replace Rowand. And it didn't quite work out that way.

ws05champs
08-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Amen, Brother! Pods may well be too fragile to rely on for '08, but we tend to win when he's playing. I don't get the Thome fan club around here. There are some who praise him like he's the new Frank Thomas. Ugh! I expect more than .260 BA from our DH. He was brought in specifically to upgrade us from Rowand coming out of a championship year...and I fully supported that trade. But what has he brought to the table of a championship club?

I think Thome gets a lot of support because he is such a nice guy. Unfortunately his bat is really letting us down, as is his base clogging speed.

I do find it interesting that we were able to win a World Series with a .250 hitting DH in Everett, yet Carl did seem to come through in the clutch. While I've always liked Thomas, remembering his performance in the 2000 playoffs as well as his performance in last year's playoffs, I often wonder how many times he would have tried too hard and popped up in '05 while Everett got us the clutch hit.

voodoochile
08-22-2007, 09:58 AM

Maybe it's the rest of his stats that people like. Heck, even Mike Caruso hit .300 for a season...:rolleyes:

voodoochile
08-22-2007, 10:01 AM
I think Thome gets a lot of support because he is such a nice guy. Unfortunately his bat is really letting us down, as is his base clogging speed.

I do find it interesting that we were able to win a World Series with a .250 hitting DH in Everett, yet Carl did seem to come through in the clutch. While I've always liked Thomas, remembering his performance in the 2000 playoffs as well as his performance in last year's playoffs, I often wonder how many times he would have tried too hard and popped up in '05 while Everett got us the clutch hit.

Right, the Sox won a WS in 2005 with a bad DH because they had a lights out pitching staff who were all having career years. Now if the Sox had that last year or this year, they would be in the pennant chase again.

Cause is not necessarily effect...

comet2k
08-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Jeez, tough crowd. Why don't we just take Pods out to the North 40 and shoot him, like a lame horse? Maybe his rib cage injuries come from head-first slides while stealing bases.

voodoochile
08-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Jeez, tough crowd. Why don't we just take Pods out to the North 40 and shoot him, like a lame horse? Maybe his rib cage injuries come from head-first slides while stealing bases.

Then maybe he should learn to slide feet first...

I'm not a Pods hater. I like what he brings to the table when healthy, but the Sox cannot rely on him to remain that way. Thanks for the memories, Pods. Good luck...

nsolo
08-22-2007, 10:31 AM

Well, its much like where I work. The boss seems to forget past accomplishments that helped to make the company tons of money, but easily climbs down my throat for the most recent mistake, no matter how small.

So Pods, I feel you pain. The only difference being that you've already made more money than I dare to even imagine in several lifetimes. Life's a *****.

oeo
08-22-2007, 10:42 AM

Thome was not brought in to upgrade Rowand...

Thome = DH
Rowand = OF

He was brought in because we needed left-handed power. And guess what we've gotten the last two years...left-handed power. Just because we haven't won a World Series in the last two years, does not mean Thome 'brings nothing to the table of a championship club.' Thome has been pretty low on the list of problems when it comes to the last two years.

alohafri
08-22-2007, 12:08 PM

Nobody is TURNING on anyone. We are merely getting tired of non-production from ANY of our players. I, for one, would like to win another World Series in my lifetime. I don't want to live in 2005 for the rest of my life.

How many games has Pods actually played this year? How much time has he spent on the DL in the past two years. He is our Kerry Wood. He is our Mark Prior. If he can't stay healthy, it is time to let him go.

soxfan43
08-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Nobody is TURNING on anyone. We are merely getting tired of non-production from ANY of our players. I, for one, would like to win another World Series in my lifetime. I don't want to live in 2005 for the rest of my life.

How many games has Pods actually played this year? How much time has he spent on the DL in the past two years. He is our Kerry Wood. He is our Mark Prior. If he can't stay healthy, it is time to let him go.

Very well said.

roadrunner
08-22-2007, 12:11 PM
He was brought in because we needed left-handed power. And guess what we've gotten the last two years...left-handed power. Just because we haven't won a World Series in the last two years, does not mean Thome 'brings nothing to the table of a championship club.' Thome has been pretty low on the list of problems when it comes to the last two years.

Thome's lack of production in the second half last year was a problem. (32 RBI although .274/.420/.522 which admittedly is respectable but the 32 RBI are not)

Thome's inability to hit LHP has been a continual problem. Last year 6 HR, 24 RBI, .236/.354/.361 - even worse this year at .184/.293/.316.

He strikes out once every five plate appearances.

He can't stay healthy even though he's a DH. Last year only 143 games while this year 98 out of 125 so far.

As a previous poster stated, I can't understand the mad love for this guy because it certainly can't be because of his production in a white sox uniform.

soltrain21
08-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Thome's lack of production in the second half last year was a problem. (32 RBI although .274/.420/.522 which admittedly is respectable but the 32 RBI are not)

Explain to me how the RBIs would be his fault? Hard to get RBIs when nobody is on base in front of you.

Craig Grebeck
08-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Thome made this offense infinitely better last season and he has still posted a .917 OPS this season. Thome is still useful because he walks a TON and posts great numbers. Trying to compare the heat that Pods/Erstad take in relation to Thome is ludicrous.

salty99
08-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Can we call up another outfielder and let Erstad play backup of and 1B like he's been doing?

And who's the bench middle infielder these days?

Right now our only 2 healthy subs are Andy Gonzalez and whoever is the backup catcher. That is pathetic.

russ99
08-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Pods pinch ran today. Maybe his injury isn't serious enough for DL time.

JB98
08-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Not sure why Thome is getting so much criticism. Jim is not having his best year here in 2007 by any stretch, and he still might be our best offensive player.

wassagstdu
08-23-2007, 03:46 PM
I just don't get it with this group. We turn on every player who helped us win a 2005 championship - save maybe for AJ and MB - but defend to the death "Big Stiff" Thome, who wasn't even freakin' here! WHY??!! :angry:
And don't forget "our idiot manager."

A lot of "us" grew up thinking Frank Thomas was the perfect baseball player, and none of those 2005 freaks were much like Frank. Thome, on the other hand, is.