PDA

View Full Version : Contreras leaving?

JackK
08-21-2007, 09:57 PM
ESPN is reporting some possible a possible trade in the MLB rumor central section:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2***b %2ffeatures%2frumors

Anyone hear anything else?

WhiteSox5187
08-21-2007, 09:58 PM
I'd be shocked if anyone wanted to take him...:welcome:

soxfanreggie
08-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Would not be upset if we traded him. I will always respect him for what he did in 2005 and early '06, but that was then and this is now. We have way too much money locked up in him for the performance we're been getting.

IceczMan
08-21-2007, 10:17 PM
All espn.com is saying is what the Tribune reported. That the sox had trouble moving contreras around the trade deadline and that Williams has shifted his focus and is now concerned about Jose getting back on track so that he can remain in the rotation for next year. Williams said that the only way he would be willing to move Contreras now was if a trade, similar to the Carlos Lee trade, occured, and he wouldnt just dump Jose to another team.

Tragg
08-21-2007, 11:21 PM
I think we could move him (for most of his salary). But get him on track, and he's worth 10 million. Get him on track then move him (off season) we may get more. Or we could move someone else.
Sort of a gamble, though.

russ99
08-22-2007, 10:03 AM
If Jose shows anything the rest of the season, he could be moved this winter, once the SP market spirals out of control again. (thanks Tribune/Zambrano:angry:)

As for next week's non-waiver deadline, I don't think the Sox wouldn't get back enough for him to justify a deal.

DSpivack
08-22-2007, 11:10 AM
If Jose shows anything the rest of the season, he could be moved this winter, once the SP market spirals out of control again. (thanks Tribune/Zambrano:angry:)

As for next week's non-waiver deadline, I don't think the Sox wouldn't get back enough for him to justify a deal.

I think anyone willing to take on his contract, even if we have to pay a chunk, is justifiable enough.

upperdeckusc
08-22-2007, 11:15 AM
All espn.com is saying is what the Tribune reported. That the sox had trouble moving contreras around the trade deadline and that Williams has shifted his focus and is now concerned about Jose getting back on track so that he can remain in the rotation for next year. Williams said that the only way he would be willing to move Contreras now was if a trade, similar to the Carlos Lee trade, occured, and he wouldnt just dump Jose to another team.

exactly. no news here. i thought this thread was gonna say he was seen clearing his locker out or something...

russ99
08-22-2007, 03:34 PM
I think anyone willing to take on his contract, even if we have to pay a chunk, is justifiable enough.

I just think Kenny might get something to help the '08 Sox this offseason when teams are clamoring for a 3rd/4th starter after the big contracts have been handed out and $10M is considered cheap. Better that than a straight salary dump for another never-to-be-seen Class-A pitcher or take on another even more poisonous contract (a la Beltre).

Plus a boost in Contreras' performance for the last month of this season would help too.

esbrechtel
08-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Hes not looking too bad...but what team would pay him 10 mil for not being "too bad?"

DoItForDanPasqua
08-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Hes not looking too bad...but what team would pay him 10 mil for not being "too bad?"

Not looking too bad? His ERA is over six and, if he were given enough starts, would lose 20 games.

Flight #24
08-23-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm sure KW's already investigated this, but you'd think the Phillies would be interested in almost any SP option. And IIRC they'll have similar needs in the offseason with Lieber & Garcia hiting FA.

If they'd be willing to take the contract, that would be enough for the Sox (one would think). Of course maybe Kenny's thinking that when Kyle Lohse gets $12M/yr on a multiyr deal that Jose at 2/$20 will start looking decent.....if he can put up an ERA in the 4.5-5.5 range the rest of the year.

russ99
08-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Check out that story on ESPN about no good pitchers available via FA in the offseason. Kenny will find a taker for a decent package if patient.

soxinem1
08-23-2007, 06:54 PM
http://www.needcoffee.com/html/dvd/images/sason1-2_1.jpg

'That would be enough to have the big one!'

oeo
08-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Check out that story on ESPN about no good pitchers available via FA in the offseason. Kenny will find a taker for a decent package if patient.

No he won't. I guarantee you most teams would rather bring up a pitching prospect from AA, than take Contreras. 16 losses and an ERA over 6...that's not something any team wants to take on.

Domeshot17
08-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Maybe we get lucky and he retires.

Jose is so bad I doubt Castro would take him back.