PDA

View Full Version : flubsessed stupid advice thread

waldo_the_wolf
08-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Hey, before I begin, I wanna say that the last time I posted, a very ugly argument started amongst several people and I want to prevent that from happening here. Second, before anyone says so, I'll even admit this thread probably sucks and I'm sounding flubsessed, but I just figured what the hell, so here goes: there's a cub fan I'm forced to deal with in my life now and then and inevitably arguments occur. I've been able to shut him up on just about every subject but there's one I'm having trouble with and I'm just curious for advice (again, yes this is very stupid). He's very stubborn in his insistence that the Sox neighborhood is a dangerous, drug-filled, high-crime area. I've told him Wrigley Field has more crime and have even brought up the murder that happened after a game. He still says I'm lying and is insistant that the cell's area is trashy and wrigley is so much better. I'm looking for hard evidence that can prove my side. I know about the dirty little secrets article, but that was from seven years ago. Sorry for the long ramble and let's try not to start fighting. Any help or any info or facts?

WhiteSox5187
08-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Bridgeport is one of the hottest areas in the city, developers are flocking there in droves. All you have to do is look at all the new construction going up there. I've been going to Sox games for a long time (twenty years, and fifteen that I remember) and I have never ONCE felt the least bit threatened in that neighborhood. He'd have a valid arguement if this were the mid-1970s maybe but Wrigleyville wasn't a nice area then either.

MCHSoxFan
08-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Hey, before I begin, I wanna say that the last time I posted, a very ugly argument started amongst several people and I want to prevent that from happening here. Second, before anyone says so, I'll even admit this thread probably sucks and I'm sounding flubsessed, but I just figured what the hell, so here goes: there's a cub fan I'm forced to deal with in my life now and then and inevitably arguments occur. I've been able to shut him up on just about every subject but there's one I'm having trouble with and I'm just curious for advice (again, yes this is very stupid). He's very stubborn in his insistence that the Sox neighborhood is a dangerous, drug-filled, high-crime area. I've told him Wrigley Field has more crime and have even brought up the murder that happened after a game. He still says I'm lying and is insistant that the cell's area is trashy and wrigley is so much better. I'm looking for hard evidence that can prove my side. I know about the dirty little secrets article, but that was from seven years ago. Sorry for the long ramble and let's try not to start fighting. Any help or any info or facts?

Hey, just take it from me. I live literally right behind the field in Bridgeport. All of my neighbors are really nice. I meet people in the street that I have no clue who they are and they say hello and smile. People actually RESPECT others here. Have not had any problems with crime or anyother types of issues. In fact, I never see a police car in a chace or pulling anybody over. People are biulding here like crazy!!! However, not around where I live cause there are already houses/apartments there. Lastly, and I am not saying this because I am a White Sox fan. I would never want to live in/around Wrigley. It seems like there is too much crime. I no people who live 3200 North and LSD and just hate it. Lived there over 40 years. They say, mostly because of the Cubs, that the area is just bad. Noisy, rowdey, and just plain unpleasent.

I really, truley helps you. THIS IS 100%+ honest.

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2007, 09:35 PM
All of my neighbors are really nice. I meet people in the street that I have no clue who they are and they say hello and smile. People actually RESPECT others here.
Yep, pretty much what I've experienced in my 2 2/3 years living here. I had the power go out for a few hours during the night once and it was like a mini block party out there. Pretty cool.

voodoochile
08-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Here's what you do...

Get right up in his face and then as loud as you can scream, "IT'S ABOUT THE BASEBALL YOU ****ING MORON!"

If he persists in acting like a dumbass then...

Get right up in his face again and scream, "1908!"

If he still persists in acting like a dumbass then...

Get back up in his face one final time and scream, "2006!" (Edit: or even 2005!... Yeah, that would probably work better...)

If all else fails, smack him over the head with a baseball bat (small one not a full sized one) and walk away. You've got to reason with the idiots...

Edit: You can also do a search on these forums for "crime stats". I am sure one of the posts you encounter will turn up links to the various police department links which will prove your point...

DumpJerry
08-21-2007, 11:39 PM
I don't know the exact link, but if you try www.cityofchicago.org (http://www.cityofchicago.org) or .gov or Google the City of Chicago and go to the Police Department, they have a site where you punch in an address and then it will show all the crimes reported for a specified radius around that address.

By the way, it will show that Wrigleyville is one place to avoid while Comiskey is the place to take the family.

You might want to mention that mere blocks away at 35th and Michigan is the headquarters for the Chicago Police Department. Just west of the park at 35th and (I think) Parnell is the 9th District station.

Nellie_Fox
08-21-2007, 11:46 PM
I don't know the exact link, but if you try www.cityofchicago.org (http://www.cityofchicago.org) or .gov or Google the City of Chicago and go to the Police Department, they have a site where you punch in an address and then it will show all the crimes reported for a specified radius around that address.

By the way, it will show that Wrigleyville is one place to avoid while Comiskey is the place to take the family.

You might want to mention that mere blocks away at 35th and Michigan is the headquarters for the Chicago Police Department. Just west of the park at 35th and (I think) Parnell is the 9th District station.Here is the link you were looking for: http://gis.chicagopolice.org/CLEARMap/startPage.htm

It has NEVER failed to show much more crime around Wrigley than around Comiskey. Have fun with it.

areilly
08-21-2007, 11:53 PM
http://www.chicagocrime.org has a block-by-block detail as well.

rdivaldi
08-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Get back up in his face one final time and scream, "2006!"

:?:

Wouldn't it be better to scream 2005?

rdivaldi
08-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Anyway, if you want statistics you can go to the police site on cityofchicago.org, which has annual reports going up to 2005.

For quick reference, here's Lakeview versus Bridgeport in 2005:

Murder
Lakeview - 4
Bridgeport - 0 (That's right Z-E-R-O)
Tell your "buddy" that you have an infinitely higher chance of getting killed in "safe" Lakeview as opposed to Bridgeport.

Sexual Assault
Lakeview - 23
Bridgeport - 7

Robbery
Lakeview - 233
Bridgeport - 80

Aggravated Assault
Lakeview - 41
Bridgeport - 48

Aggravated Battery
Lakeview - 77
Bridgeport - 66

Burglary
Lakeview - 768
Bridgeport - 265

Theft
Lakeview - 2,453
Bridgeport - 564

Car Theft
Lakeview - 277
Bridgeport - 187

Arson
Lakeview - 10
Bridgeport - 17

Total Crimes
Lakeview - 3,930
Bridgeport - 1,234

Population breakdown:
Lakeview - 94,817 (4.4% Black, 5.5% Asian, 8.7% Hispanic, 79.5% White)
Bridgeport - 33,694 (1.0% Black, 26.2% Asian, 30.2% Hispanic, 41.0% White)

grv1974
08-22-2007, 12:46 AM
U.S. Cellular Field is in Armour Square, and it was during the old Comiskey days, too.

MUsoxfan
08-22-2007, 12:58 AM
Holy ****. All of this is getting out of control. I once was like this, but I"ve grown beyond this nonsense. I'll say this....both neighborhoods have crime, both have undesirable effects to the neighborhod. Neither neighborhood is all that great. That goes for any neighborhood in an urban setting. The argument is unwinnable. Enjoy the baseball in your area and leave the rest alone.

rdivaldi
08-22-2007, 01:27 AM
U.S. Cellular Field is in Armour Square, and it was during the old Comiskey days, too.

Looking at the map, you might be right. It's hard to tell though.

Murder
Lakeview - 4
Bridgeport - 0
Armour Square - 1

Sexual Assault
Lakeview - 23
Bridgeport - 7
Armour Square - 1

Robbery
Lakeview - 233
Bridgeport - 80
Armour Square - 121

Aggravated Assault
Lakeview - 41
Bridgeport - 48
Armour Square - 11

Aggravated Battery
Lakeview - 77
Bridgeport - 66
Armour Square - 23

Burglary
Lakeview - 768
Bridgeport - 265
Armour Square - 93

Theft
Lakeview - 2,453
Bridgeport - 564
Armour Square - 440

Car Theft
Lakeview - 277
Bridgeport - 187
Armour Square - 86

Arson
Lakeview - 10
Bridgeport - 17
Armour Square - 1

Total Crimes
Lakeview - 3,930
Bridgeport - 1,234
Armour Square - 777

Population breakdown:
Armour Square - 12,032 (3.7% Hispanic, 17.0% Black, 17.1% White, 60.7% Asian)

voodoochile
08-22-2007, 07:49 AM
:?:

Wouldn't it be better to scream 2005?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yeah, probably...:redface:

SOXPHILE
08-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Just do what I do. Point to any of the following you (should) own:

1) White Sox game hat with 2005 World Series patch on the side

2) White Sox 2005 World Series Champions locker room hat

3) Various White Sox World Champion t-shirts and sweat shirts

4) Replica ring received on opening day, 2006

5) Either the replica trophy, or White Sox paper weight World Series trophy (or both, if you have them)

6) Assorted collection of White Sox DVD's (The 2005 World Series; Sox Pride-The Story of the 2005 Chicago White Sox; The complete collection of a 7 DVD set, containing entire ALDS game 3, ALCS game 5, and all 4 World Series games, along with a bonus DVD showing interviews and the parade)

7) If you happen to be at U.S. Cellular, the 2005 World Champions banners on the light towers

-After pointing to these things, say "HEY, look at this !" Then, continue softly, in an almost apologetic, hesitant manner "......you guys...don't..have anything like this........do you ?"

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-22-2007, 11:27 AM
It's an unwinnable argument. He's hell bent on believing what he wants. As much as you try to reason with him, he will flatly refuse.

So, tell him that your World Series highlights are on DVD from 2005. The 1908 Cubs World Series highlights are on glass negatives at the Chicago Historical Society. Then smile and walk away.

Chips
08-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Holy ****. All of this is getting out of control. I once was like this, but I"ve grown beyond this nonsense. I'll say this....both neighborhoods have crime, both have undesirable effects to the neighborhod. Neither neighborhood is all that great. That goes for any neighborhood in an urban setting. The argument is unwinnable. Enjoy the baseball in your area and leave the rest alone.

Exactly.

MCHSoxFan
08-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Just west of the park at 35th and (I think) Parnell is the 9th District station.

Close! It is at 35th and Lowe. 2 blocks west of Parnell Avenue.

MCHSoxFan
08-22-2007, 05:25 PM

Murder
Lakeview - 4
Bridgeport - 0
Armour Square - 1

Sexual Assault
Lakeview - 23
Bridgeport - 7
Armour Square - 1

Robbery
Lakeview - 233
Bridgeport - 80
Armour Square - 121

Aggravated Assault
Lakeview - 41
Bridgeport - 48
Armour Square - 11

Aggravated Battery
Lakeview - 77
Bridgeport - 66
Armour Square - 23

Burglary
Lakeview - 768
Bridgeport - 265
Armour Square - 93

Theft
Lakeview - 2,453
Bridgeport - 564
Armour Square - 440

Car Theft
Lakeview - 277
Bridgeport - 187
Armour Square - 86

Arson
Lakeview - 10
Bridgeport - 17
Armour Square - 1

Total Crimes
Lakeview - 3,930
Bridgeport - 1,234
Armour Square - 777

Population breakdown:

Yeah. Armour Square is from Stewart to Wentworth. I think it goes from 28th to 35. Not sure. It maybe 29th to 37th.

jabrch
08-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Take him to Wrigley Field for a game. After the game, hit him over the head with your cell phone. When he passes out, take his wallet. Use his credit card over at Sports Authority to buy a White Sox jersey and a new Taylormade Burner Driver. Dress him in the jersey and spraypain him Silver and Black. Send the driver to my office.

When he wakes up, ask him how safe he now feels in Wrigleyville, and thank him on my behalf for the driver.

PatK
08-23-2007, 10:56 AM
A college bound woman was just murdered a couple of blocks from Wrigley this week.

There is also the string of attacks on women in the Lakeview area where no suspect has been caught.

I've owned a condo in that area for 12 years, and it's not as safe as everyone thinks it is. It's not as bad either, but I do think that violent crime in the area gets underreported.

Quite honestly, the biggest nuisance/problem in the area is the overabundance of drunken, immature bandwagon Flub fans. I'm really surprised assaults/robberies aren't up because most of the ones I see are so drunk that it's almost like they are purposelly trying to become victims.

Frontman
08-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Do what I always do to the obnoxious Flubbie fans.

"You know, I have some awesome color photos from the 2005 World Series. I love my autographed Mark Buehrle throwing the first pitch of Game 2.

"Sadly, color film hadn't been invented yet the last time the Cubs played in the Series."

If you can say it with a dry, Dan Patrick-esque voice; its all the better.

FielderJones
08-30-2007, 11:17 AM
"Sadly, color film hadn't been invented yet the last time the Cubs won the Series."

Fixed it. Color film was available in 1945, but not in 1908.

Frontman
08-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Fixed it. Color film was available in 1945, but not in 1908.

Scary thing is that most Cubs fans (as well as Frontmen) forget the 1945 Series and never correct me. :)

jenn2080
08-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Oh jesus not this again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both areas have there issues.

:whocares:

jdm2662
08-30-2007, 05:26 PM

Agreed. It got old a while ago. I don't even partake in such nonsense. It's a waste of time.

dcb56
08-31-2007, 01:30 AM

Murder
Lakeview - 4
Bridgeport - 0
Armour Square - 1

Sexual Assault
Lakeview - 23
Bridgeport - 7
Armour Square - 1

Robbery
Lakeview - 233
Bridgeport - 80
Armour Square - 121

Aggravated Assault
Lakeview - 41
Bridgeport - 48
Armour Square - 11

Aggravated Battery
Lakeview - 77
Bridgeport - 66
Armour Square - 23

Burglary
Lakeview - 768
Bridgeport - 265
Armour Square - 93

Theft
Lakeview - 2,453
Bridgeport - 564
Armour Square - 440

Car Theft
Lakeview - 277
Bridgeport - 187
Armour Square - 86

Arson
Lakeview - 10
Bridgeport - 17
Armour Square - 1

Total Crimes
Lakeview - 3,930
Bridgeport - 1,234
Armour Square - 777

Population breakdown:

Armour Square:
http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_ATTACH/Community_Areas_ARMOUR_SQUARE.pdf

This arugment is so old and tired it's not even funny. Ya, there are more crimes committed in Lakeview but at the same time the population there is much more dense so it pretty much averages out (Bridgeport+Armour Square~half the population and half the total crimes as Lakeview). Bottom line is there's crime everywhere in the city.

SOXPHILE
08-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Scary thing is that most Cubs fans (as well as Frontmen) forget the 1945 Series and never correct me. :)

You aren't kidding either. This past Saturday, we had a big family event and went to the Sox game. As I was walking out, embarrassed by the 14-2 shelling, and listening to a few comments from my "Cub fan" brother in law, I walked over to the huge picture at the bottom of one of the ramps commemorating the 2005 season, including the image of the WS trophy, pointed to it, and said "Hey ! Do they have one of these thingies at Wrigley ? Oh that's right, no, they don't". He kind of sheepishly said "No. It's been since, what, nineteen-oh-something ?" I said "You mean you're a Cub fan and you don't even know when the last time they won a World Series ? Do you even know when they were last IN the Series ?" Again, he didn't know. It was then my turn to mock.