PDA

View Full Version : The Beginning of the End of the Orange Bowl Stadium?

Foulke You
08-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Not looking good so far...they want to build it near the Miami Arena where the Heat play but they can't get approval for public funds of $60 million. Sounds like the owner will take the team elsewhere if he doesn't get the funds for the new ballpark. There is something strangely familiar about this situation:D::

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070816&content_id=2152233&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Viva Medias B's
08-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Possibly signaling the beginning of the end of the Orange Bowl stadium, University of Miami President Donna Shalala has announced that this upcoming football season will be the Hurricanes' last in the Orange Bowl. She called the decision "sad." The 'Canes will start playing in Dolphin Stadium in 2008.

My family used to have a home in South Florida, and I have spent a lot of time there. The only time I was ever at the Orange Bowl was for the 1991 Orange Bowl game between Colorado and Notre Dame. I thought the stadium was a bad dump back then!

I wonder if the site of the Orange Bowl would be a good site for a new Marlins ballpark.

Link (http://www.miamiherald.com/606/story/210237.html)

MiamiSpartan
08-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Actually things brightened up today. The Miami Hurricanes announced their move to Dolphin Stadium starting next year, which frees up the Orange Bowl land for the new Marlins' park. They have not been looking at land in Bayfront Park for about 6 years now. The OB land was the only land that the city was offering up, but they had to wait for UM to decide, which they did today. Looks like things could start rolling along.
It is the urban site that the Marlins were wanting, altho not quite as close to downtown as they would have liked, but still within spitting distance. The Marlins have said they would work with that site previously...

dondosae1
08-21-2007, 10:26 PM
If you can imagine, it has gotten worse. I have been there atleast once a year the last few years for Maimi football games.

I am not gonna lie, the facilities sucked. Bathrooms were horrible, concessions were horrible, and many people did not like the neighborhood it was in (Little Havana).

All that being said, it was a great place to watch a football game. Over the years I have seen some incredible football games and have watched some fantastic players. The place was absolutely ELECTRIC for night games. For pure football, it was a great place.

Unfortunately, with all the money involved with college sports, it was simply time. Miami is set to make $2 Million MORE a year by having games at JRS. No UM at the OB will be wierd.

They are still a LONG way off from deciding what to do with the land the OB sits on. There are rumors of demolishing it and building a new baseball stadium there. As mentioned though...that's still in preliminary stages. The City and the Marlins have been in a constant struggle about a stadium.

HomeFish
08-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Believe it or not, the city of Miami will officially hold a giant party in the Orange Dome when (if?) Fidel Castro dies. Their reasoning is that this will create less traffic and logistical disturbance than if everybody just celebrated in the street.

If I were the city of Miami, I wouldn't want to get caught with Fidel dying after the Orange Bowl is torn down or decomissioned, but before the replacement is ready.

Railsplitter
08-21-2007, 11:18 PM
I always like the fact it was open beind one of the end zones. It gave the place a nice neighborhood feel to the place.

BTW, it is the only facility to host two straight Super Bowls (II and III)

Viva Medias B's
08-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Yesterday, Bud Selig visited South Florida in an intervention to help the Marlins get their new ballpark.

Link (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami_dade/story/218583.html)

Fenway
08-29-2007, 09:49 AM
What I remember about the Orange Bowl is there are something like 80 seats to a row in the upper deck. Makes for a real pain if you have to go to the bathroom or buy concessions.

Place looked like it was ready to fall down 15 years ago.

FloridaTigers
08-30-2007, 09:36 PM
I think it just needs a major renovation. Why not renovate it and make the Marlins play there? I can picture it, above the outfield walls are the scoreboard and the classic palm trees. It would save money and preserve some of Miami history.