PDA

View Full Version : Alex Cintron on the bereavement leave for the third time this year?

Gammons Peter
08-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Can't we just get rid of this bum?

Domeshot17
08-21-2007, 02:55 PM
While I don't think much of Cintron, wanting to cut him because he is on the bereavement list is a real ******* thing to say. The bereavement list is one of the great things mlb has, because it allows players to be with families in times of terrible illness and death without any major roster complications. I just hope everything with Cintron is ok. 3 times means some pretty bad stuff happened to his family this year.

hose
08-21-2007, 03:09 PM

What does bereavement have to do with anything?

Chez
08-21-2007, 03:12 PM
We only have three position players on the bench (including Cintron). Can this be Andy Gonzalez's lucky day (again)?

russ99
08-21-2007, 03:15 PM
MLB really needs to make a distinction.

Bereavement Leave for this season is a catchall for any situation that a player needs to leave the club for a few days to take care of his family.

They really need a separate category that doesn't involve the death of someone in the family.

downstairs
08-21-2007, 03:25 PM
MLB really needs to make a distinction.

Bereavement Leave for this season is a catchall for any situation that a player needs to leave the club for a few days to take care of his family.

They really need a separate category that doesn't involve the death of someone in the family.

Why? If you gotta leave, you're going to leave. Having a baby, death in the family, whatever. Who cares what they call it?

Now, if the Sox players start abusing this and begin going on bereavement because of the grief this season has caused them.... well, that's another story.

:redneck

Frater Perdurabo
08-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Now, if the Sox players start abusing this and begin going on bereavement because of the grief this season has caused them.... well, that's another story.

What about bereavement leave for fans to deal with their grief? :D:

Is that also called a banning? :tongue:

Viva Medias B's
08-21-2007, 07:35 PM
The first two times were involving his grandfather. Once when he was gravely ill and second when he died. I wonder what this one is.

skottyj242
08-21-2007, 07:58 PM
The first two times were involving his grandfather. Once when he was gravely ill and second when he died. I wonder what this one is.

Who cares. We should cut the bum. How dare he care for his family.

BRDSR
08-21-2007, 08:39 PM

I don't know, this season could probably cause clinical depression. Would that fall under bereavement or would they just be put on the DL?

Martinigirl
08-21-2007, 10:43 PM

Because he has a relative that is dying you want to cut him? Nice sense of empathy.

thomas35forever
08-21-2007, 10:45 PM
I hearby declare Andy Gonzalez's alter ego Bereavement Man.

Gammons Peter
08-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Because he has a relative that is dying you want to cut him? Nice sense of empathy.

Yes, the wife always tells me that I lack compassion. I'm just tired of him and I want him off the team. People jump all over Uribe but Cintrons AB's are SO MUCH more pathetic. He is awful! I'm sorry for his loss and his grieving but he needs to go

DSpivack
08-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Yes, the wife always tells me that I lack compassion. I'm just tired of him and I want him off the team. People jump all over Uribe but Cintrons AB's are SO MUCH more pathetic. He is awful! I'm sorry for his loss and his grieving but he needs to go

People aren't objecting to the fact you think he should be gone. I don't disagree with that. It seemed like you were linking that he's on the bereavement list is the reason he should be gone.

soxstarter
08-21-2007, 11:36 PM
I don't know, this season could probably cause clinical depression. Would that fall under bereavement or would they just be put on the DL?

:therapy:

Hmmm, would it matter which list at this point?

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-21-2007, 11:38 PM
:therapy:

Hmmm, would it matter which list at this point?

Holy ****! Did you seriously just use that tag?

JermaineDye05
08-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Perhaps this is the reason Alex has struggled greatly this year. He must be having some family issues and it's tough for most if not all players to deal with that while playing 162 games a year.

DumpJerry
08-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Hmmm....I think Gammons needs a sig which contains a dog being kicked while it is down.........:rolleyes:

Crede_Fan
08-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Perhaps this is the reason Alex has struggled greatly this year. He must be having some family issues and it's tough for most if not all players to deal with that while playing 162 games a year.

That was my exact thought.

Gammons Peter
08-22-2007, 09:20 AM

That's a load.... Most people have to deal with some kind of personal issues in their life and they still have jobs to do, Real jobs, not just having to play baseball once or twice a week. Gimme a break

The Dude
08-22-2007, 09:43 AM

I want him off the team as well but bereavement isn't a reason to dump him.

Chicken Dinner
08-22-2007, 11:09 AM
He's probably close to being on the DFA list.

soltrain21
08-22-2007, 01:59 PM
That's a load.... Most people have to deal with some kind of personal issues in their life and they still have jobs to do, Real jobs, not just having to play baseball once or twice a week. Gimme a break

He is still doing it. Not like he up and quit. My grandma just passed away and I'm still off work. Is that a load to you?

Its not like he can use baseball as an "escape" either, he barely ****ing plays.

JermaineDye05
08-22-2007, 03:22 PM

Apparently you didn't hear about Derrek Lee's daughter last year, after finding out about his daughter Lee had to leave for some games. Not sure how long he was out but I'm pretty sure it was for some time.

TheCommander
08-22-2007, 05:15 PM

Your sensitivity warms our hearts.

tony1972
08-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Family issues will affect you in any job..even if it's just baseball...

Are you telling me..if someone in your family passed away..you'd just keep going to work..not let it affect you?

Of course you'd take time off..it would affect your performance at work (even if you tried not to let it)...

JB98
08-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Cintron had surgery last offseason, and he has not been 100 percent all year. That has to have affected his play as well, especially for a guy who plays winter ball every year.

Whether the Sox retain him for '08 or not, I think it will be good for Alex to play every day this winter and try to regain his stroke. He isn't anywhere near the player he was in 2006, when he hit .295 and was a decent contributor off the bench.

Frontman
08-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Sheesh. Alex might drive me nuts at times too, but come on now. I was more concerned over Paulie leaving the team twice this season on leaves like Alex (but hey, he hits home runs, so we'll ignore that he took off and get on the bench player taking time off), but if we want players of good character, there are times that their family will come first in their lives. If they've got to deal, they've got to deal.

Hope everything is all right for Alex.

Tragg
08-22-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm sure the policies of leave are much more relaxed when we're out of the race.

Somehow, cintron has a $1.9 million contract. It's hard to justify that, even if he wasn't playing so miserably. And now his D is terrible...you can find people who can move 2 feet and catch for the league minimum.

ilsox7
08-22-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm sure the policies of leave are much more relaxed when we're out of the race.

Somehow, cintron has a $1.9 million contract. It's hard to justify that, even if he wasn't playing so miserably. And now his D is terrible...you can find people who can move 2 feet and catch for the league minimum.

You were a fan of the acquisition when it happened.

Hindsight is 20/20. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67395&highlight=cintron&page=5)

Tragg
08-22-2007, 11:20 PM
You were a fan of the acquisition when it happened.

Hindsight is 20/20. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67395&highlight=cintron&page=5)

I'm honored you're researching my opinions. Yes, 2 years ago I thought he'd be a good utility infielder.

So mark this spot - I don't think he's worth re-upping. Check back in 2 years - I may be wrong again.

BTW, why don't your research what I said about this Ozzie-offense BEFORE this season.

ilsox7
08-22-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm honored you're researching my opinions.

So mark this spot - I don't think he's worth re-upping. Check back in 2 years - I may be wrong again.

BTW, why don't your research what I said about this Ozzie-offense BEFORE the season.

It took me less than a minute, don't be honored. You just seem to be talking a lot about how many bad decisions KW has made lately, I thought it'd be interesting to see what you said when they were initially made. It was interesting on this occasion.

Tragg
08-22-2007, 11:35 PM
It took me less than a minute, don't be honored. You just seem to be talking a lot about how many bad decisions KW has made lately, I thought it'd be interesting to see what you said when they were initially made. It was interesting on this occasion.
I think Williams is a good GM. Thank goodness the gm knows more than I do. I bet he knows more than you do too.
This is a message board for goodness sakes.

ilsox7
08-22-2007, 11:37 PM
I think Williams is a good GM. Thank goodness the gm knows more than I do. I bet he knows more than you do too.
This is a message board for goodness sakes.

I am not trying to pick a fight. I just saw you post a few things tonight that seemed to indict the job KW has done. I was curious about what was said the first time around. That's all.

Tragg
08-22-2007, 11:51 PM
I am not trying to pick a fight. I just saw you post a few things tonight that seemed to indict the job KW has done. I was curious about what was said the first time around. That's all.
I'm wrong a lot.
It's ozzie's case I've been on anyway (his use of and influence of personnel), not Kenny's....it's not Kenny using Cintron as DH, e.g.

ilsox7
08-22-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm wrong a lot.
It's ozzie's case I've been on anyway (his use of and influence of personnel), not Kenny's....it's not Kenny using Cintron as DH, e.g.

I, too, am wrong a ton. And I'd agree with you that Ozzie has been below average this year. As has the entire team.

soxinem1
08-22-2007, 11:57 PM
I think Cinton has been useless all year, but in all honesty, he does have a decent track record.

I believe he has a shoulder issue, family issues, and probably confidence issues. Roll that up into one, and you have a messed up player. That can happen to any of us, wether we scrub floors or play baseball.

I remember Konerko in 2003. A lot of people were calling for him to be dumped like a bad habit. It happens.

Now, $2 million for a utility guy having a season like his may be a lot, but I think he will come back. I for one really liked him last year, and anything even approaching that production is good to have.

chaerulez
08-23-2007, 12:13 AM
The guy is a bench player, season by season their stats reflect a small sample size. And pinch hitting or only playing every fourth day can't be easy as trying to get in an everyday routine. This is how a Pablo Ozuna has posted .276/.328/.244 in his last three seasons. Or how Daryle Ward hit .183 in 2003 but has a .325 average this year. So yes, Cintron has had a bad year but it's not like the Sox problems begin and end with him. Bench players will have down years like this.