PDA

View Full Version : Don't count out the Tigers tomorrow

HawkDJ
04-07-2002, 07:48 PM
The Sox have to face Steve Sparks who is a knuckle-ball pitcher. The Sox are a fastball hiting team. I know they had a little bit of good history against Spakrs, but this is still a fastball hitting team against a knuckleball pitcher.

The Sox send Jon Garland to the mound. The Tigers have been struggling with offense but Garland is one to give up free passes. If the Tigers can get free men on base, that just might spark their offense.

Now I'm not going to be like JM and say Fear the Tigers. The Sox should still win, and we should still be mad if they lose, but I think the matchup is alittle closer than it seems.

RichieRichAllen
04-07-2002, 07:56 PM
And I think the one which has Garland getting his head out of his ass is the strongest. He needs to be given 3 more starts (at best) to prove he can throw strikes consistently or lose his spot in the rotation.

What's Parque's speed up to, anyway?

Daver
04-07-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen
And I think the one which has Garland getting his head out of his ass is the strongest. He needs to be given 3 more starts (at best) to prove he can throw strikes consistently or lose his spot in the rotation.

Garland had a quality start against the Mariners,and Parque is not an improvement over him anyway.

Chisox_cali
04-07-2002, 08:04 PM
Danny Wright is starting tomorrow not Jon.

CerberusWG
04-07-2002, 08:09 PM
The Sox send Jon Garland to the mound.

Wright then Rauch then Garland.

Garland had a quality start against the Mariners

Wright had a quality start against the M's. Garland pitched against the Royals.

Daver
04-07-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG

Wright had a quality start against the M's. Garland pitched against the Royals.

You would be correct.

RichieRichAllen
04-07-2002, 08:23 PM
5 IP 6 HITS 4 ER 1 HR 4 W and a loss (to KC, at that).

If that's quality, I might be almost 43, but hell...I'll give it a go. My fastball might clock in at 55 mph (but as "Butter" would say...what's speed got to do with it anyway?)

Originally posted by daver

Garland had a quality start against the Mariners,and Parque is not an improvement over him anyway.

HawkDJ
04-07-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Danny Wright is starting tomorrow not Jon.

http://www.marnin.com/images/homer/homerdoh.gif
Doh! I forgot about Wright

Well Garland still pitches against the Tigers so it still applies, just not against Sparks.

Chisox_cali
04-07-2002, 08:43 PM
We just need to start a good fight with the tiggers, that'll get this team together! :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
04-07-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
We just need to start a good fight with the tiggers, that'll get this team together! :D:

Genius idea, Cali. You're definitely major league manager material.

:garner
"It worked for me!"

duke of dorwood
04-07-2002, 10:23 PM
They may need a fight more than we do. It could happen in this series. They usually play us tough (who doesn't?)

CLR01
04-07-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen

I read in the paper either yesterday or today that it was around 85.

HawkDJ
04-07-2002, 11:44 PM
Just some stats:

Wright gave up 3 runs in 5.2 innings in his only start against the Tigers. That was at Comiskey though, and he pitches better at home than on the road.

Garland gave up 5 runs in 4 innings in his only start against the Tigers. That was also at Comiskey and he pitches better on the road.

So what do those stats mean? I'm really not sure. :?:

GASHWOUND
04-07-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Now I'm not going to be like JM and say Fear the Tigers. The Sox should still win, and we should still be mad if they lose, but I think the matchup is alittle closer than it seems.

I fear the Tigers! Not only because we're off to a 2 and 4 start, not only because the Twins and 'Toons are off to great starts and 3 game leads, but the embarrassment of losing to the Tiger..Ughh, We NEED to sweep this farm team in Detroit. And not only sweep them, but DESTROY them! The fate of the Sox season rests in this upcoming series VS Detroit, or we will fall into the deep black hole known as last place and hell on Earth as we know it...
Ohhh, have mercy on us baseball GODS!!!
Other than that,everthing should be fine :gulp:

Chisox_cali
04-08-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

I fear the Tigers! Not only because we're off to a 2 and 4 start, not only because the Twins and 'Toons are off to great starts and 3 game leads, but the embarrassment of losing to the Tiger..Ughh, We NEED to sweep this farm team in Detroit. And not only sweep them, but DESTROY them! The fate of the Sox season rests in this upcoming series VS Detroit, or we will fall into the deep black hole known as last place and hell on Earth as we know it...
Ohhh, have mercy on us baseball GODS!!!
Other than that,everthing should be fine :gulp:

I really have this good feeling that Rauch is just gonna Destroy the Tiggers on Tuesday, just a feeling. I don't know why.

pearso66
04-08-2002, 01:32 PM
one reason im fearing the tigers, is that they are 0-6, and are lookign for their first win

Pete_SSAC
04-08-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
They may need a fight more than we do. It could happen in this series. They usually play us tough (who doesn't?)

I wanna see Fick rush Rauch. Heh.

- Pete

KingXerxes
04-08-2002, 03:26 PM
:farmer

"I know a lot of our fans out there are a little worried about taking on Detroit in this next series at Comerica Park........wasn't always that the Tigers - who have always been the Tigers, well except when the baseball wasn't American League baseball here in Detroit.- they were known as The Wolverines when they played in the National League out here...that was in 1881 and their best pitcher was a guy by the name of Stump Wiedman. I don't think that was any relation to Wiedemann Beer out of Newport, Kentucky, but I do know that when somebody went to a Louisville Eclipse game in Kentucky during the 1880's - they were later called the Colonels of which I've spoken before...then the Grays. Lots of teams called the Grays - Louisville, Milwaukee, Providence.....not just gray either, lots of different colors through out the years Cincinnati Reds, Boston Reds, Cleveland Blues, Hartford Dark Blues, Toledo Maumees - well I know a Maumee isn't a color, I know 'cause I tried to look it up in a book prior to the broadcast and I couldn't find it, but I did find out that a "Solon" is a wise law-giver - which ultimately, kind of explained why the American Association had a team called the Columbus Solons in 1891 - I guess because Columbus was the state capitol and they're very proud of their law-making record in Ohio....don't know if they were too proud of their baseball team though - it only lasted a year. Fort Wayne's didn't even last that long.......and I still don't know what a Kekionga is. Well anyway folks, I hope that eases your minds a little bit about our upcoming series here at Tiger Stadium. Oops, I'm dating myself here, as the Tigers no longer play on the corner of Michigan and Trumbull.....that stadium was known as Tigers Stadium, Briggs Stadium, Bennett Park although I don't think they named it after Charlie Bennet who was Stump Wiedman's catcher for the Wolverines...."

KingXerxes
04-08-2002, 03:49 PM
:hawk

"Yep.......You know DJ.....stick around this game long enough on the professional level, and you'll know everything after a while. I heard Ed talking in the radio booth before today's game, and he doesn't know what a Maumee is, or why Toledo named their team the Toledo Maumees. Well Toledo named their club after Felix Maumee who was one of the best fake pick-off throw to third pitchers I have ever seen. Mercy - he would just fake some guys right out of their jockstraps..."

:DJ

"I always thought they were called the Maumees because the Maumee River flows right through Toledo, Ohio......how come I can't find this guy Felix Maumee in the Baseball Encyclopedia?"

"You been around this game as long as I have DJ - you'll find out that not all the answers are in a book."

:DJ

"But this one can be found in a book, and it's not there."

"Yessir......many a question in this game can be answered without the help of a bookworm."

cheeses_h_rice
04-08-2002, 04:05 PM
*****, King.

Great work. How do you come up with this stuff?

KingXerxes
04-08-2002, 04:10 PM
An idle mind is the devil's workshop.

Chisox_cali
04-08-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
An idle mind is the devil's workshop.

:?: Wait I thought that was hands......well I guess you use your hands to type :smile:

kermittheefrog
04-08-2002, 04:33 PM
The firing of Garner has me bothered. Teams tend to get a kick out of their manager getting the axe hopefully Dan Wright will be able to extinguish any flame in their bellies.