PDA

View Full Version : *Official* We Won? Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
08-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Wish Bobby had the record, but at least we get the W.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Bobby :(:

oeo
08-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Damn.

On the bright side, he just started another one, 3 and counting. :D:

goon
I think everyone had a bad feeling about Gathright, either way, Jenks shares the record. That's almost Kevin Gregg territory!

Congrats, Bobby. Nice win tonight, too.

chisoxmike
****ing Joey Gathright.

JB98
08-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Tough to lose that streak on a seeing-eye hit. But Bobby didn't allow that to break his concentration. The most important thing is the save, and he did his job. I'm proud of the big man. :gulp:

Domeshot17
08-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Im sure Bobby is loving his team mates right now. Has a chance to break a major league record and they play so ****ty he doesnt get a chance to pitch in a week. The rust was evident as all those curves missed their locations. he gets one to break below the knees he k's him.

Brian26
08-20-2007, 10:22 PM
****ing Jody Gathright.

Joey too.

TheQuestion
08-20-2007, 10:23 PM
So close....yet so far. Pretty disappointing to not see him get the record, but tying the record ain't nothing to sniff at.

oeo
08-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Im sure Bobby is loving his team mates right now. Has a chance to break a major league record and they play so ****ty he doesnt get a chance to pitch in a week. The rust was evident as all those curves missed their locations. he gets one to break below the knees he k's him.

Whatever. I think he would rather do it at home, than in Oakland or Seattle where it wouldn't be appreciated. He couldn't get the curve down, and he gave up a base hit. It was going to happen some time, there's no need for excuses.

chisoxmike
08-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Joey too.

:redface:

nsolo
08-20-2007, 10:25 PM
So close....yet so far. Pretty disappointing to not see him get the record, but tying the record ain't nothing to sniff at.

Since I can't get the game of tv, what was Hawks comment on Jenks giving up the hit?

BeviBall!
08-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Those hanging curves are the direct result of not pitching for a week. After the first two, I was yelling at AJ to just drop the heat on him since Uncle Charlie wasn't biting tonight. Well, when you sit for a week because your team can't get you into a game, I guess his number was up. Still he shares the record. Good job, Bobby!

DrewSox56
08-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Whatever. I think he would rather do it at home, than in Oakland or Seattle where it wouldn't be appreciated. He couldn't get the curve down, and he gave up a base hit. It was going to happen some time, there's no need for excuses.

He's a closer - He closed.

His head could've gone straight up his ass (like everyone else has done this year) but he hung with it and did his job.

DrewSox56
08-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Since I can't get the game of tv, what was Hawks comment on Jenks giving up the hit?

Dag-gummit.

What else?

SluggersAway
08-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Why didn't Bobby throw his fastball?

If you are going to get beat, get beat on your best pitch!

And, keeping him out so long probably did add some rust, but that is Ozzie and his bullpen ways, so what do you expect?

thomas35forever
08-20-2007, 10:29 PM
He's a closer - He closed.

His head could've gone straight up his ass (like everyone else has done this year) but he hung with it and did his job.
Thank you. Best post on this thread.

oeo
08-20-2007, 10:29 PM

And, keeping him out so long probably did add some rust, but that is Ozzie and his bullpen ways, so what do you expect?

His fastball isn't his best pitch. At least it's not any more, now that it's 4-5 mph slower than it once was.

The curve is his out pitch, he just couldn't get it down. Blaming it on 'rust' is just ridiculous, IMO. You can't have your best stuff every day...I'm surprised he's had it this long. One hit in the last 45 batters is amazing...you guys can't be serious; it was going to end at some point.

Brian26
08-20-2007, 10:30 PM

The highlight was the strike-two foul ball down the line. Hawk lost it.

:hawk
"Get Foul. IT WILL! JUST FOUL, MERCYYY!"

DrewSox56
08-20-2007, 10:31 PM

He threw a good pitch. Gotta give Joey credit.... He didn't want to be a record, and he was behind....

Can we get him, BTW???? He came from Tampa I think a year or two ago....

StillMissOzzie
08-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Those hanging curves are the direct result of not pitching for a week. After the first two, I was yelling at AJ to just drop the heat on him since Uncle Charlie wasn't biting tonight. Well, when you sit for a week because your team can't get you into a game, I guess his number was up. Still he shares the record. Good job, Bobby!
You, I agree with.

The curve is his out pitch, he just couldn't get it down. Blaming it on 'rust' is just ridiculous, IMO. You can't have your best stuff everyday...I'm surprised he's had it this long. One hit in the last 45 batters is amazing...you guys can't be serious; it was going to end at some point.
You, I do not.

My son and I were watching the last inning. I turned to him after that and said I have never heard Hawk get so excited about a foul ball. Anyhow, the losing streak is OVAH!. Now the Sox need to sweep these bums and crawl out of the cellar.

SMO
:gulp:

Railsplitter
08-20-2007, 10:40 PM
:bandance:

Hey, it still works!:wink:

hose
08-20-2007, 10:46 PM

hehehe I was cracking up with Hawk's call.

hat's off to Bobby on the streak and tonight's save

oeo
08-20-2007, 10:49 PM
You, I do not.

I guess Bobby can't throw breaking balls unless he's in a game. :rolleyes:

You think he just sat on his ass for a week and did nothing? ...Come on.

pierzynski07
08-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Blaming it on 'rust' is just ridiculous, IMO.
Well in my opinion, you're wrong. All players need regular work. Ozzie couldn't get him into one freakin game last week?

thomas35forever
08-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Well in my opinion, you're wrong. All players need regular work. Ozzie couldn't get him into one freakin game last week?
This argument could go two ways. You are right in saying players need regular work. OTOH, Ozzie wasn't exactly in a position to bring Bobby in. Of course, you could argue that he used Bobby during last Sunday's loss with the Sox trailing, but this is just my opinion.

DrewSox56
08-20-2007, 11:05 PM
This argument could go two ways. You are right in saying players need regular work. OTOH, Ozzie wasn't exactly in a position to bring Bobby in. Of course, you could argue that he used Bobby during last Sunday's loss with the Sox trailing, but this is just my opinion.

As oeo intimated - Bobby likely got his work in; unfortunately not on the field for all of you to see.

Then again, we don't see probably 1/3 of what these guys do in reality.

UserNameBlank
08-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Congrats to Bobby!!! Wish he could have taken sole possesion of the record but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Congrats on a terrific run though!

itsnotrequired
08-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Worst win ever.

Sig update time...

Ragator43
08-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Worst win ever.

Sig update time...

I second that.

Navarro's Talent
08-20-2007, 11:50 PM
I got to go to the game tonight (thanks to the WSI crew for setting up another patio party). It would have been amazing to see Jenks set a new record, but I'm glad I was there to give him a big standing "O" when he lost the streak.

SluggersAway
08-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Jenks could have had the record days ago.

Ozzie has no idea how to manage a bullpen.

hi im skot
08-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Jenks could have had the record days ago.

Ozzie has no idea how to manage a bullpen.

What night this past week would you have had Jenks come in? I'm seriously interested in what all of the armchair managers would have preferred Ozzie do with the bullpen recently.

Nellie_Fox
08-21-2007, 01:16 AM
I'm seriously interested in what all of the armchair managers would have preferred Ozzie do with the bullpen recently.They would have done whatever Ozzie didn't do, and wouldn't have done whatever he did. It's quite simple, really.

hi im skot
08-21-2007, 01:54 AM
They would have done whatever Ozzie didn't do, and wouldn't have done whatever he did. It's quite simple, really.

Ah yes...it's all making sense, now.

I better write this down.

:redneck

ode to veeck
08-21-2007, 03:21 AM
who'da thunk it?! Sox Win!

Soxfanspcu11
08-21-2007, 04:18 AM
They would have done whatever Ozzie didn't do, and wouldn't have done whatever he did. It's quite simple, really.

Probably.

But the way Ozzie has been managing this year, a blind monkey with arthritis and herpes would have produced more wins than Ozzie has.

I'm all about giving credit where credit is due, Ozzie deserved INCREDIBLE credit in '05, but this year, ummmm, well, not so much. Bleh.:angry:

wilburaga
08-21-2007, 09:22 AM

Heeding Groucho's contrarian anthem...

"I don't know what they have to say / It makes no difference anyway / Whatever it is, I'm against it. / No matter what it is or who commenced it, I'm against it! / Your proposition may be good / But let's have one thing understood: / Whatever it is, I'm against it. / And even when you've changed it or condensed it, I'm against it! / For months before my son was born / I used to yell from night till morn: / Whatever it is, I'm against it! / And I've kept yelling since I've first commenced it, I'm against it."

W

oeo
08-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Probably.

But the way Ozzie has been managing this year, a blind monkey with arthritis and herpes would have produced more wins than Ozzie has.

I'm all about giving credit where credit is due, Ozzie deserved INCREDIBLE credit in '05, but this year, ummmm, well, not so much. Bleh.:angry:

You're joking, right? You might want to go look at some statistics...they're not very good. It's not like Ozzie has a team batting .270 with a 3.80 ERA, and a lights out bullpen. He has a team batting .246 (and for the first half of the season, around .230) with a 4.85 ERA, and for most of the year, the worst bullpen in all of baseball. This is just like every few years with the Royals or the Pirates...their ****ty teams suck and then they use the manager as their scape goat.

Ozzie can't hit and pitch for the players, stop thinking he can.

TornLabrum
08-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Probably.

Let's see:

Crede out most of the season
Podsednik and Erstad out for a prolonged time
Ozuna out most of the season
Thome out for a stint
Contreras falling apart
Bullpen sucks
Batters don't start hitting until about July

Did I miss anything here?

Yeah, Ozzie's done a terrible job given the terrific hand he's been dealt this year.

I love armchair managers. They're never wrong because all they can do is criticize without ever having to actually prove they could do a better job.

hi im skot
08-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Probably.

I'm confused at how herpes could affect the monkey. Blindness, sure. Arthritis? Yeah, I guess he could struggle getting out of the dugout to make pitching changes. But herpes? That one's lost on me.

oeo
08-21-2007, 11:50 AM
And here you go, from Jenks himself...
"I felt fresh," Jenks said. "I was throwing bullpens during the road trip, so I was feeling good. I was fresh and ready to go."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070821&content_id=2161199&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

FielderJones
08-21-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm confused at how herpes could affect the monkey. Blindness, sure. Arthritis? Yeah, I guess he could struggle getting out of the dugout to make pitching changes. But herpes? That one's lost on me.

Scratching the itch might send a wrong signal? :tongue: